Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

Ops normal for you.

Wait, are you actually involved in influencing young people on behalf of The University of Texas? 

Yeah, in real life I help educated people that are first-generation college students.  You must be the other guy.  

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Got it.  how about this...our summer activities on campus have been canceled.  We have now moved onto discussions of cancelling many autumn activities.  Can I talk about the fact that I am in talks with UT about a full postponement/termination of autumn activities.  Can I talk about the things surrounding the University of Texas on a website devoted to the University of Texas?  Or is that beyond your bandwidth or just not allowed, you fucking child?  

I truly appreciate your perspective in most threads, but you're being petulant as fuck and landing on a lot of ignore lists right now. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You sure you're a teacher ?  Your post makes you look more like a dumb ass kid.  Sorry if the facts bug you, but you've been trying to goad people in to the political angle on several of your posts.

This guy has told us he meets with and influenced the state governor and administration and now he’s conveying that he meets with the board of regents at UT in order to give them all guidance. He’s swinging a 12 inch political hog and you better fucking recognize that.

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I am neither a teacher or the assistant vice president at a small bank.  I'll check the politics at the door but I worry about some of the anti-asian and anti-mexican rhetoric going on right now.  Not on this thread, but nationwide.  But I'll stand back as I'm sure it will dissolve  

There isn’t any of that “rhetoric” going on, unless you’re seeking those discussions out. The “anti-Mexican” part is fucking laughable. “You know who’s really to blame for this? The fucking Mexicans. I hate them so much, I’m pondering not even capitalizing their nationality. Fuck those guys. “ 

You are a fucking twit with nothing to add but political whining. A classic cloak room troll. 

• Like 6

No politics.  But you and I belong to the same party and I'm pretty sure I outrank you a long, long way.  It's weird that we honestly never think of you at all.  

Edited by Lobo

Can one of you corona numbers people help reconcile an inconsistency? I’m questioning the whole flattening the curve premise.

So far a relatively small percentage of the population has caught the virus. Once the shelter in place orders expire in the next two months the spread will just shoot up again at a rapid rate.

Given that only a small percentage of the population caught it the first time around, won’t we be right back to the same type of spike that overwhelms the hospital system? The spike might be a little lower than the first spike, but it would still spike.

I realize that buying time is important for the vaccine, potential cures, and medical supplies, but aren’t we headed for an even bigger economic problem in the fall unless a treatment is found by then? One other potential saving grace is if a significant percentage of the population has caught it already but is asymptomatic.

Edit clarification: the second spike would be lower than what the first spike would have been if no shelter in place order had been given. But the spike would be much higher than the current first spike trajectory.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Aggy in trouble?

God, I hope it forces schools into bankruptcy, and they come back with less bureaucratic bloat, act more financially responsible, stop building needlessly, focus on the students, and fucking lower tuition and keep our children from being slaves to the holders of their student loans.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Can one of you corona numbers people help reconcile an inconsistency? I’m questioning the whole flattening the curve premise.

So far a relatively small percentage of the population has caught the virus. Once the shelter in place orders expire in the next two months the spread will just shoot up again at a rapid rate.

Given that only a small percentage of the population caught it the first time around, won’t we be right back to the same type of spike that overwhelms the hospital system? The spike might be a little lower than the first spike, but it would still spike.

I realize that buying time is important for the vaccine, potential cures, and medical supplies, but aren’t we headed for an even bigger economic problem in the fall unless a treatment is found by then? One other potential saving grace is if a significant percentage of the population has caught it already but is asymptomatic.

Even if the 2nd wave is a big one, we will have had the benefit of additional time to prepare.

And we won't be as devastated from the 1st wave because we flattened it. 

Edited by B00M

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

God, I hope it forces schools into bankruptcy, and they come back with less bureaucratic bloat, act more financially responsible, stop building needlessly, focus on the students, and fucking lower tuition and keep our children from being slaves to the holders of their student loans.

There is absolutely no way any of this happens. But yeah- it’s a nice thought. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is an interesting study already taking place between IDEA charter schools and their local ISD equivalents.  It will only be 2-3 months of data and with the cancelling of statewide testing, it will be a tough metric to prove...but should be some good intel on how they can deploy and collect faster and more efficiently.  I know for whom I'll be rooting...

59 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

All good tunes. I have fond memories of singing This Miller Lite of Mine, I'm Gonna Let It Shine, Thy Gin Is A Lamp Unto My Feet..., and Bud's Not Bud Until You Give It Away at the Revivals.

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I snipped part of the above for brevity. I believe Dr. Fauci had concerns about this but (and I'll try and go back and post the link) because it's twofold. If they open things up too much, everything is overwhelmed. If they drag them out, then yes herd immunity has a harder time gaining traction in the population and a second wave will most likely occur. However, after they discussed it to death, the consensus was it bought them enough time to be better prepared with the issues of supplies, etc. The economy was going to be overwhelmed from the start but 'they' seemed to think it would recover more quickly if the pandemic response didn't result in mass casualties from the get go (the potential 2.2 million).

• Like 1

There is an interesting study already taking place between IDEA charter schools and their local ISD equivalents.  It will only be 2-3 months of data and with the cancelling of statewide testing, it will be a tough metric to prove...but should be some good intel on how they can deploy and collect faster and more efficiently.  I know for whom I'll be rooting...

The students?

5 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

The students?

No, the mid-level administrator that changed the course of my life.  Folks don't remember the teacher, coach, or mentor...we all remember that associate vice superintendent 

When it does "open back up", I'm sure there will be precautions in place.  I would think most public places would require masks as would most employers.  There will still not be nay large gatherings for a while, but people can go back to work.  I would think some protections would be in place for the employees in that their jobs are not affected of they do get the coronas.   On the mask issue,  what do you do with the mask if you are required to wear one at a restaurant?  Do you pull it down long enough to shovel some food in your mouth or take a drink and then put it back in place while you chew? 

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

No politics.  But you and I belong to the same party and I'm pretty sure I outrank you a long, long way.  It's weird that we honestly never think of you at all.  

Huh? 

1) I don’t give money, votes or loyalty to any party, dumbfuck. The whole point of a whole bunch of us bitching about politics isn’t that we disagree with yours, it’s that we don’t give a fuck and find the subject matter tedious and boring. You guys that insist on bringing it up seem to be convinced that that cannot be true, I guess because it would be admitting the futility of your devotion in the minds of a host of others for whom you crave their approval. 

2) I’m quite convinced that you and your affiliates never think of the random guy, which you admit above. It’s obvious that you are thinking only about yourself and how you’re getting over, and nothing else matters. 

Shitheels will always tell you who they are by talking about who they aren’t. A guy tells you he’s all about integrity, he’s going to prove himself to be corrupt. A guy is talking all of the time about his morality, he’s probably abusing someone or having an affair. A guy tells you he’s worried about racists and he’s a white knight, he’s probably telling racist jokes and wearing loafers at his neighbor’s BBQ. That’s lobo on a bullet. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Whom? Whom?  Please tell us.  The suspense is killing me.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Whom? Whom?  Please tell us.  The suspense is killing me.  

The charter schools for whom I have worked so hard.  /noCR

the IDEA mention should have been for your first fucking clue.

Edited by Lobo

Just now, Hate said:

When it does "open back up", I'm sure there will be precautions in place.  I would think most public places would require masks as would most employers.  There will still not be nay large gatherings for a while, but people can go back to work.  I would think some protections would be in place for the employees in that their jobs are not affected of they do get the coronas.   On the mask issue,  what do you do with the mask if you are required to wear one at a restaurant?  Do you pull it down long enough to shovel some food in your mouth or take a drink and then put it back in place while you chew? 

I have seen very few if any people (including healthcare professionals) wear their PPE correctly. You cannot move the mask to your forehead and then pull it back down over your mouth. You cannot adjust your glasses or loupes. You cannot set the mask down or in your pocket and then put it back on. You cannot put your hands on your hips or your pockets. You cannot open a door with your gloves on or touch your face. You can't take off your mask with your gloves on. And you can't take off your gloves and then your mask and not wash your hands.

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

All this and at some point people will say that they’ve had enough of over precaution and we will learn to function with the new risks that corona presents.  It makes sense to make sure, in this first wave, to do everything we can to make sure our healthcare system isn’t overwhelmed but at some point we will say fuck this shit and go back to some sort of normal routine.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The charter schools for whom I have worked so hard.  /noCR

the IDEA mention should have been for your first fucking clue.

I was being sarcastic. I really didn’t want to know.  But I knew you would let us all know.  You can’t help yourself.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Got it.  how about this...our summer activities on campus have been canceled.  We have now moved onto discussions of cancelling many autumn activities.  Can I talk about the fact that I am in talks with UT about a full postponement/termination of autumn activities.  Can I talk about the things surrounding the University of Texas on a website devoted to the University of Texas?  Or is that beyond your bandwidth or just not allowed, you fucking child?  

Kinda seems like a pretty good topic for a different thread, given the high number of Longhorns around here.

6 minutes ago, Loco said:

In Georgia's case that's usually 5* talent...  that gets squandered

How on earth did they land Matthew Boling? Phenomenal runner.

Sorry, I miss track season.

Going back to nonpolitical COVID discussion, does anyone know what MD Anderson is doing with respect to their visitors? I haven't been in over a year, and my local skin check appt is probably going to get cancelled due to the restrictions but depending upon the supply shortage and postponements I'm wondering how far in advance I need to schedule appts.

I think premium cable is fucking up right now.  How come HBO and others arent running their good shit and previous series?  Have they totally conceded to Netflix and Disney+.  I have the TV on in the office during the day and it's amazing to see HBO, etc.  playing some really shitty stuff. 

• Like 2

My bad.  Shouldn't talk politics on this thread.  But way more controversial topics are perfectly acceptable.  Some of us are caught between this thread and CR because of our affiliations.  But that doesn't excuse the rants.  My bad.

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I think premium cable is fucking up right now.  How come HBO and others arent running their good shit and previous series?  Have they totally conceded to Netflix and Disney+.  I have the TV on in the office during the day and it's amazing to see HBO, etc.  playing some really shitty stuff. 

Preach. I would love to see some of those series. I am not good at remembering to watch at a particular time and worse at recording. They could win me over with that as I don't watch a whole lot of shows. I've never watched that Game of Thrones but then I have no idea what channel it was on.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

My bad.  Shouldn't talk politics on this thread.  But way more controversial topics are perfectly acceptable.  Some of us are caught between this thread and CR because of our affiliations.  But that doesn't excuse the rants.  My bad.

Consider the DACA, Immigration thread in the CR. It is somewhat related to your topic and may spark some new life into that thread.

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You are seriously proclaiming that there are people that don't care about the random guy that you don't support?  the shit that comes out of your keyboard says otherwise.  

Nevermind, we're getting political again.  And you say you want nothing to do with that despite so much other evidence.  

I don’t even know what in the fuck you’re talking about. “Random guy” could have also been “every man”, dickless. 

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Wow. The folks with a grocery store in their building traveled less than the ones who live 5 miles from town. 

Yeah I’m 15 miles to the nearest grocery store so it probably looks like I’m a super spreader every time I go get groceries.  I ran in this morning but didn’t take my cell phone.  Just doing my part to help clean up this crappy data.   

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Further to my earlier post, why won’t we see this type of issue in the fall, unless treatments or vaccines are deployed?

4455bdda21cecfc49962c64f6bde3833.jpg

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

1*a9Lcz2g8DkKdnW0o_vk3ow.png

S...A...F...E...T...Y    Dance!

What's the difference here? They're just two slightly different imaginary lines based on guesses

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Politics makes threads turn into total shit holes with no redeeming value, or more importantly hilarity.  Good on you for acknowledging that you shouldn't go there here.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Further to my earlier post, why won’t we see this type of issue in the fall, unless treatments or vaccines are deployed?

4455bdda21cecfc49962c64f6bde3833.jpg

We totally will see a second wave. There’s only two ways this resolves: we all get it, or we get a vaccine. No, scratch that, there’s only one way this resolves: we all get it. Vaccine would be nice but it won’t be ready on time, if ever.

Also “keep R0 below 1” is a pipe dream and won’t happen.

Edited by XYZ

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away