Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Yeah, true, but this issue was about an officer.  My other points stand.

Your point sucks and it stupid. Most military officers have had 10 times more responsibility and have had to make many more difficult decisions at a much younger age than their peers.

But you go ahead and choose to believe what you “know”.

I am not trying to say that Military Officers are better than everyone else. Well except for Naval Aviators, because you know, we are.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Yeah I’m 15 miles to the nearest grocery store so it probably looks like I’m a super spreader every time I go get groceries.  I ran in this morning but didn’t take my cell phone.  Just doing my part to help clean up this crappy data.   

Good point, I run 4 times per week and my phone is always in my pocket.  On my long runs I'm doing 6-8 miles so I'm 4 miles away from the house at my furthest.

I guess I AM the GD Johnny Appleseed super-spreader that these charts are picking out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

This is going to sound fucked up but this guys train of thought is why I rarely hire ex military, they lack critical thinking process that was drilled out of them in the military which causes their decision making to suffer

We used to hire a bunch of WP guys that had the same issue. Brilliant guys, many could be confused with robots though, which wasn’t ideal. 

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Your point sucks and it stupid. Most military officers have had 10 times more responsibility and have had to make many more difficult decisions at a much younger age than their peers.

But you go ahead and choose to believe what you “know”.

I am not trying to say that Military Officers are better than everyone else. Well except for Naval Aviators, because you know, we are.

Ummm, ya better check that Mr. Nay-vul  ayvee- a-tor. I only agreed that the the first post wasn't speaking specifically about military college officer grads.

I think ex military hires are a strong way to go when possible.. well........ maybe not YOU of course......

What's the difference here? They're just two slightly different imaginary lines based on guesses

I guess the difference is in the assumption that a nation full of selfish, overweight idiotic morons will actually change their behaviors upon exiting the shelter in place to be responsible about social distancing, etc. Ya right. I have completely eliminated that scenario from the equation. Folks will be chowing on turkey legs at tailgates in no time.

49 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

you get what you pay for

Absolutely untrue. Some - perhaps many - times you pay, and get sweet fuck-all.

What is true, or at least truer, though, is that you don't get what you don't pay for. 

Somewhat on topic:

Tom Cruise‘s Top Gun: Maverick, the sequel to the hit 1986 movie, will now open on Dec. 23 after originally being scheduled for June 24.

Cruise shared the news on Instagram, writing, “I know many of you have waited 34 years. Unfortunately, it will be a little longer. Top Gun: Maverick will fly this December. Stay safe, everyone.”

• Like 1

I walk between 7-10 miles a day in average, also with my cell phone in my pocket.   I can end up 2-3 miles from my house on long walks before I turn around and go back.  So yeah, someone might look at me as ranging too much.  Except I've been in the grocery store (or any other building no named Casa Macanudo) twice in the past 10 days. 

13 minutes ago, Viper said:

What's the difference here? They're just two slightly different imaginary lines based on guesses

Well the "suppression hammer" there is not being fully implemented here like it was in places like Japan, South Korea, etc where they're now in the dance... so it's not particularly relevant to this discussion. The mitigation curve is the one we're on. 

Wow. The folks with a grocery store in their building traveled less than the ones who live 5 miles from town. 
You do realize this is showing the % reduction in travel, right? It's not just raw miles. Rural areas aren't red because the store is far away. They're red because people there are going to the store just as frequently as ever.
  • Like 2

Would be cool if they had a system in place that would automatically analyze a person's cell phone data to prioritize who gets ventilators, medical care, etc. A person that isn't abiding by lockdown at all is last in the list and shit out of luck.

4 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Somewhat on topic:

Tom Cruise‘s Top Gun: Maverick, the sequel to the hit 1986 movie, will now open on Dec. 23 after originally being scheduled for June 24.

Cruise shared the news on Instagram, writing, “I know many of you have waited 34 years. Unfortunately, it will be a little longer. Top Gun: Maverick will fly this December. Stay safe, everyone.”

Negative, Ghostrider.  The pattern is full.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I walk between 7-10 miles a day in average, also with my cell phone in my pocket.   I can end up 2-3 miles from my house on long walks before I turn around and go back.  So yeah, someone might look at me as ranging too much.  Except I've been in the grocery store (or any other building no named Casa Macanudo) twice in the past 10 days. 

Judged. 

5 hours ago, Constant said:

Had a disturbance call at a covid-19 positive residence for the first time tonight. Talk about your all-time pucker factors. I’ve never been more aware of my hands and body placement. God bless the doctors and nurses staring this thing in the face every day. 

Late to the Saturday morning party.

722d8c65d74342fcfd04311cb3f247b890ec996c

Would be cool if they had a system in place that would automatically analyze a person's cell phone data to prioritize who gets ventilators, medical care, etc. A person that isn't abiding by lockdown at all is last in the list and shit out of luck.

Honest question: I like to get out of the house and drive around solo in my convertible to break up the monotony. How is that bad?
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Honest question: I like to get out of the house and drive around solo in my convertible to break up the monotony. How is that bad?

same here, well i hate driving, but I do go outside for runs 2-3 times a week 5-7 miles each.  I was biking alot, i love biking alone for 30-40 miles, but i worry if I wipe out like i did last year on some road debris that a broken collar bone means i either dont get treated or take up a covid space so ive relegated to zwift which sucks worse than aggy,  but yeah tracking folks is opening a can of worms

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I run 3-4 times a week. My family (wife, dog, and 3 month old in a stroller) go for an hour walk everyday. I feel no guilt whatsoever. Unless you're in a metro area, keeping 10+ feet away from everyone only takes the tiniest amount of effort.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Viper said:

I think the only real hope is that we develop some treatments during the lockdown so it.isnt as bad in phase 2. Also, worldwide everyone is ramping production of supplies so hopefully that helps as well.

41 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Vaccine would be nice but it won’t be ready on time, if ever.

I'm not sure why you say that?  It's my understanding that the medical community sees this as a fairly easy virus to not only fight with appropriate anti-virals, but also to vaccinate against.  Has that perception changed?

I understand your point about vaccine timing, by the way, and I'm not disputing the idea that we could see a second bad wave before an effective vaccine is developed.

31 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Somewhat on topic:

Tom need to get back to being our test vehicle for the vaccine.  

6 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Instead of extending these stay at home orders for a longer time, how about implement a 2 weeek actually strict stay at home order? As I stated before the current orders are a joke

Preaching to the Choir.  People keep using words like Lockdown and Quarantine...but in reality, we're in a suggested SiP order in most cases that exempts so many businesses and activities that I'm surprised it's making much of an impact at all. 

27 minutes ago, fuggled said:
2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:
Wow. The folks with a grocery store in their building traveled less than the ones who live 5 miles from town. 

You do realize this is showing the % reduction in travel, right? It's not just raw miles. Rural areas aren't red because the store is far away. They're red because people there are going to the store just as frequently as ever.

Yep.  Or work. Or wherever because we're not in an actual lock down at all.

25 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Once again, what "lockdown".  Can you really say someone who's going to and from work every day, because, Oh I don't know, they work in a "essential" business, like a Used Car Dealer(don't get me started), shouldn't be on the list, because quite a few people actually have their offices closed or have been let go?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Christ man, haven't you heard you will kill people if you go outside!

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

expected stock 28 April

just as bad as posting paywalled content

I would also be careful about purchasing something to be delivered in a month or more. Most likely they're hoping to get stock to meet the demand. However with major web sites, you shouldn't worry about either paying for it until it ships, or getting a refund. I would be cautious about buying from a no-name website regardless of their posted refund policy. 

Had a brief talk with my 78yo mom this morning. She and my 83yo dad are finally getting the picture. We've talked every few days since this thing has gotten started, and they've slowly come around since mid-February after a lot of skepticism.

The last time I spoke with her was Wednesday, and I gave her the requisite lecture about wearing a mask in public after she was telling me the Sam's they had just gone to was more crowded than she'd ever seen it. After nudging her a bit, she took action and remembered she knew how to sew and took my advice to put some together for her and my dad.

This morning, I shared with her the golden advice that Eastwood shared about cutting up squares of HEMA vacuum cleaner bags to put behind the mask and later dispose. She thought that was genius, so thanks man.

I've got to say that in spite of all the ungodly shit that is happening, it's made me appreciate the precarious nature of my elderly parents' lives more, and I want to thank all of you for the collective asshole advice we've built up the last couple of months.

With all that said, I still think TexasHammer is still the most stupid poster I'm glad to have never met IRL.

• Like 8

Didn’t someone already create a vaccine that is in the trial stage now? I thought I had read that someone in The Seattle area had received it but it takes a while to know for certain there are no side effects. I thought that they had said it should be ready for mass production by February if all goes well. I could be remembering something incorrectly though.

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Cleanliness Demand Chain talk not going away.   

cant remember which school district it was, but read somewhere yesterday that a bunch of parents were being threatened with fines/arrest for trying to pawn the school district’s smart tablets assigned to their children.  

shocked...

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hitting the sauce at noon on a Saturday? I guess if not now, when? 

I had mimosas with breakfast.  That's healthy orange juice, can't be wrong, can it?

Now onto my second beer.  Not sure I'll be running today...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

Didn’t someone already create a vaccine that is in the trial stage now? I thought I had read that someone in The Seattle area had received it but it takes a while to know for certain there are no side effects. I thought that they had said it should be ready for mass production by February if all goes well. I could be remembering something incorrectly though.

Its way back upthread but I thought we heard they bypassed the mice, and injected some healthy people to see if it would have side effects but I could be wrong.  its been pretty quiet on that front probably because they don't want people to hope for some miracle vax in the next 3-4 months. I think Fauci keeps saying its 12 months away.

11 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Is their any indication from Italy as to what they’re going to do next?  Timeline or action?

They're all going to go out and smooch on the cheeks like the weirdo Latins that they are. Is that what you want to hear?

Also: *there

Edited by bolverk

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

Patient 1 is already in.  There are also active treatment trials underway.  I had a discussion with someone at a CRO running one of the international trials this week.  They told me they stood up the trial in less than a week, and they were operating with unprecedented timelines. They had a crazy ask in terms of timeline that I couldn't come close to meeting.   

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away