Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Again, vaccines aren't something you can just shoot from the hip on. It takes time to know if they work, otherwise you're just wasting time, effort, and resources making and administering a vaccine that doesn't actually treat the disease. 

That's exactly what happened in 1918.

February of 2021.  I didn't mean that it should have already been ready. 

Edited by Hate

29 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Hey, uh, how stupid or bad is it to get takeout these days?  Have not had restaurant food in just about a month and craving it.  But don't really crave death, strangely.

I mean the percentage chance of you getting sick from a drive through or take out is still extremely low.  But it's not zero.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s impossible. He’s a weirdo humblebraggart. Highly irritating. And if he’s not banned from the thread yet he’ll probably like / laugh at this here post. Because he’s fucking weird. 

Sorry, can't give you rep for the post.  But I have to say it's been incredibly impressive watching you not mention being from Highland Park under your new persona.  

BTW-what is the new backstory?  You do commit, I'll give you that.  

And I love it when you comb through the last 5 pages of a thread for 45 minutes to neg rep me.  I do miss when you'd drink at home and get online to rage.  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

New home state does NY a solid.

I see the plot to a vin deisel hijack movie.  Vin deisels daughter is in critical need of a ventilator. They live in poor rural Ohio.  As luck would have it a truck carrying a bunch of ventilators is passing through.  But the truck driver is Jason stratham.... Someone take it from there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s impossible. He’s a weirdo humblebraggart. Highly irritating. And if he’s not banned from the thread yet he’ll probably like / laugh at this here post. Because he’s fucking weird. 

Well... he is a cartoon character.

33 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Hey, uh, how stupid or bad is it to get takeout these days?  Have not had restaurant food in just about a month and craving it.  But don't really crave death, strangely.

Pretty low. Low that the worker has it. Low that it gets on you food. Likely killed if it’s hot. And even if on your food, it dies in your stomach. 

i imagine the risk is someone coughing etc on something you touch then you transferring it to your face etc.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2020/03/25/is-eating-takeout-food-safe-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/#5ad3b1392bd1

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I’ve been getting it about once a week. If you really want to ensure you don’t get the virus you could lock yourself in your closet and eat water and crackers till this ends. I’m taking precautions  and social distancing seriously but you still have to live your life and accept that there’s things beyond your control, & that some risk is a part of life.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Pretty low. Low that the worker has it. Low that it gets on you food. Likely killed if it’s hot. And even if on your food, it dies in your stomach. 

i imagine the risk is someone coughing etc on something you touch then you transferring it to your face etc.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2020/03/25/is-eating-takeout-food-safe-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/#5ad3b1392bd1

Thanks to you and the others who quoted/replied.  I've read things like that, but I also remember thinking I don't need a mask because all the articles at the time said I didn't.  Seems like the situation is fluid(s).

Much like the drinking though, I'm going to get a point where fuck it, this meal is worth the (hopefully slight) risk.

• Like 2

Um weren’t we reopening the country next Sunday?  No CR but yeah, no 

The peaks for most states should be by May. Herd immunity, treatments, antibody tests and overall tests should be solidified by July. I think it’ll be a different world then compared to the bizzaro shit we’re in now

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Thanks to you and the others who quoted/replied.  I've read things like that, but I also remember thinking I don't need a mask because all the articles at the time said I didn't.  Seems like the situation is fluid(s).

Much like the drinking though, I'm going to get a point where fuck it, this meal is worth the (hopefully slight) risk.

We didn't eat out even once a week prior to this since I usually cook the meals, but prior to everything getting super restricted, I got carry out from a local place that the family likes. One thing about the place I picked is that their containers, while not exactly eco-friendly, are styrofoam and that is easy to wipe off upon receipt. I brought the food home and wiped off the containers, put the food on some plates and stuck them in the oven at a low enough temp to keep the food hot. That was excessive, perhaps, but at that point in early March I was fairly certain the virus was in our community even though we had no SIP or anything.

Some other families I know still bring home food several times a week and thus far they've been fine. YMMV.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

We didn't eat out even once a week prior to this since I usually cook the meals, but prior to everything getting super restricted, I got carry out from a local place that the family likes. One thing about the place I picked is that their containers, while not exactly eco-friendly, are styrofoam and that is easy to wipe off upon receipt. I brought the food home and wiped off the containers, put the food on some plates and stuck them in the oven at a low enough temp to keep the food hot. That was excessive, perhaps, but at that point in early March I was fairly certain the virus was in our community even though we had no SIP or anything.

Some other families I know still bring home food several times a week and thus far they've been fine. YMMV.

I get mine from a couple of places that serve family style portions in larger aluminum foil containers.  If it’s hot already or cool and needs to be put in oven, I don’t really worry. 

I might be a little concerned picking up salads or sushi to go. Probably nothing to worry about but you cant just throw it in the oven to eliminate all risk. 

Edited by Don Johnson

16 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The peaks for most states should be by May. Herd immunity, treatments, antibody tests and overall tests should be solidified by July. I think it’ll be a different world then compared to the bizzaro shit we’re in now

This is where I'm at.  Chicago looking good right now.  Good is relative.  And it's a big city with some real population density. 

We have 8 of us that tested positive or showed antibodies.  Getting some poker set up and take out from Maple & Ash.  First time out in over 3 weeks.  You could say I'm just a bit excited...

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

Too bad we’re spending all our time arguing with each other on Surly.

Just think, if we weren't all a bunch of drunk assholes, we could probably have already saved the world from the corona 10 times over by now.

This is where I'm at.  Chicago looking good right now.  Good is relative.  And it's a big city with some real population density. 
We have 8 of us that tested positive or showed antibodies.  Getting some poker set up and take out from Maple & Ash.  First time out in over 3 weeks.  You could say I'm just a bit excited...

Preach! Keep relaying the good news

Sorry, can't give you rep for the post.  But I have to say it's been incredibly impressive watching you not mention being from Highland Park under your new persona.  
BTW-what is the new backstory?  You do commit, I'll give you that.  
And I love it when you comb through the last 5 pages of a thread for 45 minutes to neg rep me.  I do miss when you'd drink at home and get online to rage.  

Ha. I figured he was Rex Kramer. Good to know I was right.

6 hours ago, Iceman said:

Our business results would mightily support your contention.  Supermarkets/ club stores are in the 135-140% range to the same 3 weeks last year.  Gas & Convenience are below last year, bigtime.  That has NEVER happened in 20 some odd years of my experience and that's with the cheapest gas most of us can remember.

people ain't goin anywhere...cept to WalMart and HEB if it's open.

And some people are just topping off tanks because gas can be had for $1.50 a gallon.  Without that price, gas and convenience stores would be even more off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akhornfan said:

Is their any indication from Italy as to what they’re going to do next?  Timeline or action?

"The French "betrayal" and the axis with Berlin"

https://it.insideover.com/politica/il-tradimento-francese-e-lasse-con-berlino.html?utm_source=ilGiornale&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=article_redirect

Stay at home extended until 16 May. Debate over making masks mandatory is expanding. I was given a mask when I went to the grocery store the other day. I've got two that I've been saving, cheap and disposable. I also kept the grocery store mask. They have a textile industry, I would think they could make millions. Manufacture, or maybe distribution, is the bottleneck.

Deaths steadily declining, so I look forward to getting out of jail before any of you fucking goofballs. But still not anytime soon. I think it will be all mask, all the time, in public. Contact tracing. Olds and immune compromised still quarantined. Obviously that's where this is headed, including in the US. But Italy is uniquely old, like really old. Inverted pyramid old. Demographic suicide old.

This is the boring part of the virus. There's no more interesting stuff, besides waiting for people to die, which is horrible. It's not shocking to hear about how you can't have funerals anymore, it's just fucking sad and horrible. It's just the grind, and shit got more horrible. And you have to fight the good fight. Six more weeks of this I think. It's brutal, it's a deep psychological attack, and I'm on the good side of this equation.

All the stresses that people have, everything's doubled down. It's like going to Mardi Gras with you're 19 years old, except now you know the consequences. People will start to live truly for the moment, not thinking as much about the future or what is right or best. Looters get lootier. Angry drunks will get angrier, wife beaters more violent. Truth gets truthier. Horrible wives get more horrible. Maslow's Hierarchy is in effect. Needs are more basic, more primal. Anger is more at the surface.

Italy is different because it's old, and not to be mean, but they don't fight back as much. Still, it's different. Fear is palpable. As is the rebellion to a small extent. Now is the long haul and the grind. Preserve what you have.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Just think, if we weren't all a bunch of drunk assholes, we could probably have already saved the world from the corona 10 times over by now.

If Roman’s “both tacos” had been the origination of COVID, we’d have it thoroughly figured out in 24 hours. 

1 hour ago, Mighty fine said:
2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:
Everyone has their strengths and deficits.   I never let military or law enforcement or engineers sit on a jury if I can prevent it.  They cannot get it through their heads the concept of you can win a trial with 51% proof.  Their brains do not work that way.  They are hard wired to accept only proof, and tend to automatically disregard the order of the Court to follow the Preponderance of the Evidence  jury charge.  They will not follow it.    They will say after, "I had some doubts...you did not prove it fully..."   No kidding.   That would be a different standard - not the one the Court gave you.   It is useless to educate them, and they will argue that they are right when you tell them that it was more likely than not true.
Which is all to say, if you have a decision that takes nuance and possibilities with a relatively soft percentage of proof - like under 80 percent, that type of mind will resist  an option that is not a sure thing.   And sometimes you have to make a BIG decision based upon a 'more likely than not'.     That type of mind tends to freeze when making a decision with less than certainty.   Studies show that the type of black-white thinker that is military or LE or engineering tend to be conservative/GOP.   Liberals tend to be folks who see more gray.  We like nurses and social workers and teachers on juries.   They do fine with a 55% proof in a case.  
So I think that Red State leaders may be slower to act not out of evil intent, but due to  a lack of 100% certainty proof about the Covid-19 response "right decision".  
If this is too political I will delete it - or a Mod can. 

Read more  

Never set on a jury, but how the fuck do you quantify 51% proof? How do you know it's not actually 49% proof?

It's simple.  Which is more likely or not?

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Just out of curiosity, how would they already have a vaccine for a novel virus that has been around 3 months?

Here is a link to the story of the first person receiving it.

https://www.livescience.com/first-person-coronavirus-vaccine-clinical-trial.html

Also, Pitt thinks they may have found one as well.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/scientists-believe-they-found-potential-coronavirus-vaccine/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Everyone has their strengths and deficits.   I never let military or law enforcement or engineers sit on a jury if I can prevent it.  They cannot get it through their heads the concept of you can win a trial with 51% proof.  Their brains do not work that way.  They are hard wired to accept only proof, and tend to automatically disregard the order of the Court to follow the Preponderance of the Evidence  jury charge.  They will not follow it.    They will say after, "I had some doubts...you did not prove it fully..."   No kidding.   That would be a different standard - not the one the Court gave you.   It is useless to educate them, and they will argue that they are right when you tell them that it was more likely than not true.

Which is all to say, if you have a decision that takes nuance and possibilities with a relatively soft percentage of proof - like under 80 percent, that type of mind will resist  an option that is not a sure thing.   And sometimes you have to make a BIG decision based upon a 'more likely than not'.     That type of mind tends to freeze when making a decision with less than certainty.   Studies show that the type of black-white thinker that is military or LE or engineering tend to be conservative/GOP.   Liberals tend to be folks who see more gray.  We like nurses and social workers and teachers on juries.   They do fine with a 55% proof in a case.  

So I think that Red State leaders may be slower to act not out of evil intent, but due to  a lack of 100% certainty proof about the Covid-19 response "right decision".  

If this is too political I will delete it - or a Mod can. 

Maybe your arguments sucked and the engineers on the jury saw through your Urban Meyer-loving bullshit?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm not discounting that, but I don't think technologies and smarties can short cut doing trials - or should we now consider human trials?

Nobody said that....you asked how they have a vaccine that fast.  Having one and having one that is being executed on in mass are yes....different things.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Here is a link to the story of the first person receiving it.

https://www.livescience.com/first-person-coronavirus-vaccine-clinical-trial.html

Also, Pitt thinks they may have found one as well.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/scientists-believe-they-found-potential-coronavirus-vaccine/

From the articles you linked:

Assuming the initial tests go well, it may be 12 to 18 months before any vaccine is ready for public use, NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci told the House Oversight and Reform Committee on March 12. 

and, fwiw,  I do question the scientific validity of the NYPost, so I also went to the source linked in their article 

The study’s authors are now applying for an investigational new drug approval from the US Food and Drug Administration. They hope to start human clinical trials within the next few months.

This is the test schedule from the source article
Fig 2

So it's great that this progress has been made - but the scientific community still has a 12+ month period before it rolls out

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away