Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

16 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

From the articles you linked:

and, fwiw,  I do question the scientific validity of the NYPost, so I also went to the source linked in their article 

So it's great that this progress has been made - but the scientific community still has a 12+ month period before it rolls out

Which is why I said February of 2021.

Lotta cool technology and smart motherfuckers out there.

There were already vaccines well along the way with respect to SARS. Gave something of a head start, as they are similar viruses.
Everyone has their strengths and deficits.   I never let military or law enforcement or engineers sit on a jury if I can prevent it.  They cannot get it through their heads the concept of you can win a trial with 51% proof.  Their brains do not work that way.  They are hard wired to accept only proof, and tend to automatically disregard the order of the Court to follow the Preponderance of the Evidence  jury charge.  They will not follow it.    They will say after, "I had some doubts...you did not prove it fully..."   No kidding.   That would be a different standard - not the one the Court gave you.   It is useless to educate them, and they will argue that they are right when you tell them that it was more likely than not true.
Which is all to say, if you have a decision that takes nuance and possibilities with a relatively soft percentage of proof - like under 80 percent, that type of mind will resist  an option that is not a sure thing.   And sometimes you have to make a BIG decision based upon a 'more likely than not'.     That type of mind tends to freeze when making a decision with less than certainty.   Studies show that the type of black-white thinker that is military or LE or engineering tend to be conservative/GOP.   Liberals tend to be folks who see more gray.  We like nurses and social workers and teachers on juries.   They do fine with a 55% proof in a case.  
So I think that Red State leaders may be slower to act not out of evil intent, but due to  a lack of 100% certainty proof about the Covid-19 response "right decision".  
If this is too political I will delete it - or a Mod can. 

One key takeaway is the advantage of people who can make good decisions based on incomplete information.
A great QB looking downfield usually can’t wait till he has perfect info. He has to have a good eye for a receiver who is LIKELY to be open, and strike.
So many decisions are like that. Especially in a crisis. Act fast based on part of the puzzle - have a good eye to fill in the blanks to come up with the best path, and take it.

20 hours ago, Message Board User said:

i'm behind and catching up and reposting this because this is the #1 most important thing we need to do is get the antibody testing in widespread 7x24 manufacturing

chitowndoc can you elaborate on the cost/availability curves and what you think is possible here on timelines?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RayDog said:

I sometimes wish i was living alone, but it would be risky to be doing a different woman everyday right now.

Ray, is there are part of the space-time continuum where in a parallel reality another version of you is able to contemplate not fucking for more than a day?

Which leads to the question, how many days in a row have you had sex?  What happens when the live-in has the monthly visitor?  You stand down then, right?  Right?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Ray, is there are part of the space-time continuum where in a parallel reality another version of you is able to contemplate not fucking for more than a day?

Which leads to the question, how many days in a row have you had sex?  What happens when the live-in has the monthly visitor?  You stand down then, right?  Right?

And they are all 18+.  Seriously.  Even when they appear underdeveloped to all rational observers.

Spoke to my sister in Austin who said, "well, we bought a thermometer and masks for when people ACTUALLY start getting sick." She is the type that usually turns off the news when it gets too depressing. But it did make me think about the number of people I knew who were sick. My family is all back in Texas but the gf's friends and family all live here in the tri-state area. Following are all people I have met and are my friends or she has personally met that are either part of her extended family or close friends of her family:

-2 confirmed dead due to Covid, 1 other that we were told was dead and assuming for same reason but couldn't confirm the cause. The two confirmed were elderly.

-14 with multiple symptoms that fit Covid but only 4 were allowed to be tested. Three of those four were positive and the fourth was told his test was faulty but to assume he had it. Everyone else denied testing and told to stay home and assume they had it. 

-Of those 14, almost all are parents and their housing situation extends to about 25-30 more people that are mostly kids so while not assuming the kids have it, odds are some did/do and luckily have very minor symptoms. 

Stay safe Austin

Edited by achooloco
changed the quote to reflect what was actually said
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

My current live in fell asleep while we were watching TV the last two nights, and she is shy about having sex when the red tide is in. But it is different when 5 or more different women a day are messaging needing money for sex, as there is usually one that makes me think hell yes. Even so, when I don't have a live in I try to take off a day once or twice a week.

Prostitutes tend to run out of money and get hungry when they have their period, and most Filipinas never have sex then. Some will ask for money for food for nothing or just a bj, but I don't  mind a little blood. I have lost track of how many have told me it was the first time they had sex during their period. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

My MIL has metastatic breast cancer.  My FIl was not allowed in MD Anderson last week when she had her PET scan or the next day when she had her consult.  (Good news, markers way down and lesion reduced 30% since last scan)

There was a story on the news the other night and a guy's wife was having a cancer treatment and he "tailgated" across the street by her window.

39 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Who's not gonna want to watch that!!

In all seriousness, ESPN could score some major points with viewers if they went back to some of their old programming and stuff like this instead of the incessant talking head shows.   

Entertain us.   Stop yelling at us.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Preach! Keep relaying the good news

I’ll pile on the good news.  We had a cold front here so the cargo shorts are back in the closet and I haven’t had a ball slip out of my zip offs today.  Unfortunately they have a stiff zipper so it’s looked like I’ve had an erection all day when in truth that only happened when watching reruns  of The Facts of Life

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Iceman said:

Our business results would mightily support your contention.  Supermarkets/ club stores are in the 135-140% range to the same 3 weeks last year.  Gas & Convenience are below last year, bigtime.  That has NEVER happened in 20 some odd years of my experience and that's with the cheapest gas most of us can remember.

people ain't goin anywhere...cept to WalMart and HEB if it's open.

how is the supply chain handling the diversion of raw materials from the "people gathering businesses" (i.e. companies served by SYSCO and their ilk like restaurants/entertainment) and grocery stores for residential?

23 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Good buddy of mine in Lakeway has been in ICU the last 8 days. He's in pretty bad shape as it transitioned to a coma so we are doing our best to keep things very optimistic. Early 30's and healthy for the most part outside of any underlying medical issues we are not aware of. 

Wife, kids tested negative and they have all been sheltering at home outside of a few trips he made to Home Depot and to get groceries. 

Yall stay safe, this has hit home for us. 

Good buddy here in San Marcos was hit by the bitch virus. Went to the VA in San Antonio, confirmed case. Kept him for 3 days and sent him home. Dude has beaten cancer, is 100% disabled (Military definition) so I wonder if they said fuck it, if he makes it he makes it. There is no way in hell is San Marcos ready to handle multiple cases. Hope your buddy kicks COVID ass and is back to his family where he needs to be. 

34 minutes ago, RayDog said:

My current live in fell asleep while we were watching TV the last two nights, and she is shy about having sex when the red tide is in. But it is different when 5 or more different women a day are messaging needing money for sex, as there is usually one that makes me think hell yes. Even so, when I don't have a live in I try to take off a day once or twice a week.

Prostitutes tend to run out of money and get hungry when they have their period, and most Filipinas never have sex then. Some will ask for money for food for nothing or just a bj, but I don't  mind a little blood. I have lost track of how many have told me it was the first time they had sex during their period. 

so are you using dong bags or are you at a point in your life where a little infection every now and then just isn't an issue for you?

Looking at the positive versus total tested numbers that came in today for yesterday and updating from days past:

-MIchigan has now tested more positives than negatives overall. They're streaking at 55.5% positive ratio out of over 26,000 tests. Holy fuck.

-New Jersey's positive ratio grew further to 45.3%, but only by like .2%.

-New York went up to 40.1%, up from 38.6% in yesterday's numbers.

-Texas went up .4% to 9.6%

-California's big pending results all came out and they are almost all negative. Their real rate comes in at 10.9%. 

Anyway, rates going up implies that of the people who think they're sick, a higher percentage of them actually are, of course. Still not sure if this data is telling us a whole lot, but I do think it's obvious that a whole lot of folks weren't just walking around with this in their area when the percentage is 15% or lower. These are the most likely people to be sick, so it's a small, self-selected percentage of the overall population and they're still only 3-15% infected outside of about 7 states.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RayDog said:

source.gif

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

how is the supply chain handling the diversion of raw materials from the "people gathering businesses" (i.e. companies served by SYSCO and their ilk like restaurants/entertainment) and grocery stores for residential?

I don't work supply chain, but from my experience, I don't understand how we're not facing more shortages.  My brother works with McClain's( Food/ packaged goods wholesalers) in Texas and said 2 weeks ago their volume/ hours were at about 150% or greater than normal.  He said this week was closer to normal and it felt like things were 'normalizing' a bit.  Thing about it is, that convenience and gas is a huge part of their business and that channel is down right now.

The grocery side of things baffles me, as in, if you run 150% over projections on say...potatoes for two weeks in a row, it's not like you call Idaho and tell them to double their efforts and get them spuds out of the ground or hey, Kansas get that wheat ready...yesterday..  They're gonna be ready when their ready.  Sure, there is SOME elasticity in supply, but not THAT much.  We are all learning at this point.  I've discussed hurricanes and natural disasters on here before, you just draw resources/ inventory from unaffected areas.  THIS is practically the whole fucking planet.

It's gonna be interesting to see how it goes with this new "normal."

Edited by Iceman

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

UT System is well on the case.  There is also a very interesting back-channel between them (mainly MDA, UTHSC-Houston, UTMB, Pickle, UTSA, UT-Southwestern, UT-A, and UT-D) and several assets in China/Asia to get much more accurate data from their former colleagues.  No politics, but the much-villified CIA and other NIC folks have set up temporary shop in the above mentioned institutions to lean on them to lean on their former lab buddies for better intel than is available through WHO/UN/et. al.  It's really fascinating shit actually.  For once, our education of the world's STEM leaders whom then leave for their home nations afterwards is paying off.  I talked about it weeks ago on another thread and would love to hear others' experiences.  

I don't do CR so I don't understand the venom that came Lobo's way earlier today.  This post proves he is a valuable member of this community.

Whatever hate is in the CR needs to stay in the CR.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Digdogger said:

I’ll pile on the good news.  We had a cold front here so the cargo shorts are back in the closet and I haven’t had a ball slip out of my zip offs today.  Unfortunately they have a stiff zipper so it’s looked like I’ve had an erection all day when in truth that only happened when watching reruns  of The Facts of Life

It was Natalie, wasn’t it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

so are you using dong bags or are you at a point in your life where a little infection every now and then just isn't an issue for you?

Yes and yes. I wear condoms with the meth whores, or if I can tell from her smell that she has trichomoniasis vaginosis,  or if she asks me. Otherwise I go without and figure I will be taking antibiotics for something eventually anyway. Most Filipinos don't use condoms,  so the women are used to bareback. The 24 year old who is fixing breakfast for me never used a condom before when we met last year.

1 minute ago, RayDog said:

Yes and yes. I wear condoms with the meth whores, or if I can tell from her smell that she has trichomoniasis vaginosis,  or if she asks me. Otherwise I go without and figure I will be taking antibiotics for something eventually anyway. Most Filipinos don't use condoms,  so the women are used to bareback. The 24 year old who is fixing breakfast for me never used a condom before when we met last year.

how old are you?  if you don't mind me asking.

1 minute ago, RayDog said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29a67623910a33cfac73

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Texaus said:

The RayDog updates on this thread are pure gold. Am I confusing you with another poster, or are you a well known, published, nuclear physicist?

I am a quantum field theorist, nuclear physicist and whore monger, but not so well known, yet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away