Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I wore one on my last outing Friday and some people had gloves but only one or two others also wore masks. I only have one N95 so I guess I need a cover over it to keep it clean. Maybe a bandana would work. Last time I checked, there were no gloves any where in stores. I still have some gloves from 5 years ago which may last if I just use them for outings.

I made my weekly HEB run this morning. Tried it yesterday at store opening and the line was just too much to bear and I knew I had today still to get it done. Showed up around 7:30 and the lady who went to the back of the line just in front of me was coughing. fml. I stayed a good 8' or so away from her the entire wait. And then some old guy wearing a mask comes up behind me and stands about 2' away. I told him to back the fuck up. People inside were for the most part being human and relatively calm, unlike a few weeks ago when this first started but there were still those assholes rushing thru like it was a game show shopping race. Back home by 8:30 and got what I needed and the brands that I wanted. Not looking forward to doing this for Easter weekend.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m noticing they fudge with their numbers too

Numbers are getting routinely backed down some on almost all the sites....they are obviously dealing with a lot of sources and many times just combing press releases, news stories and health department websites for their figures which has gotta be a tedious exercise fraught with miscounting to some degree.

Edited by Surly Bevo

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

How do the Surly models add up to this? 

It’s definitely the best model imo. They’ve done a good job of updating it constantly with data, and the bounds seems pretty reasonable. Will be interesting to see how do we fair after restrictions are lifted on May 30 based on that model as I feel like it doesn’t really capture results beyond that. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I quoted this only because it was the first post I found from Friday mentioning the death total after the nightly update, and I thought 1300 was where we were. Worldometer has now updated Friday to “only” 1045.  Last night was now the first 1300 night, at least as of now

My theory is that they have multiple sources for some states and that leads to a double counting issue. When it happens, they’ll usually clean it up a day or two later. They closed Friday with 1300+ but then carried some of that to Saturday for the NY update? I don’t know really where the double count happened. Good news either way in that it wasn’t back to back 1300+ days the way it looked like it was last night. 

38 minutes ago, Iceman said:

many retailers are no longer running promo pricing because of the risk of being massively out of stock on any given item.

The thing that blows my mind is the fresh meat prices. It might not be gouging, but it's fucking close.

Yeah it has nothing to do with spread its this.  And yes on the meat prices.

22 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I wore one on my last outing Friday and some people had gloves but only one or two others also wore masks. I only have one N95 so I guess I need a cover over it to keep it clean. Maybe a bandana would work. Last time I checked, there were no gloves any where in stores. I still have some gloves from 5 years ago which may last if I just use them for outings.

If the n95 is actually stopping something that needed to be stopped, then those particles made it through the cover and the n95 is infected anyway. 

I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night because they are all fucking shut down, but i would feel perfectly safe reusing the mask after leaving it in the sun for a day. Bonus points if your have an empty clear container with a lid like a fish tank so you can elevate the temperature. The mask is good for stopping inhalation, but are you going inside the store in a throw away suite?  If not, you’re getting just as much on your clothes and then transferring that in your car. Unless you’re part of the 1% group paying your maids for no work, I assume you’re not burning your car after each use. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My theory is that they have multiple sources for some states and that leads to a double counting issue. When it happens, they’ll usually clean it up a day or two later. They closed Friday with 1300+ but then carried some of that to Saturday for the NY update? I don’t know really where the double count happened. Good news either way in that it wasn’t back to back 1300+ days the way it looked like it was last night. 

Yeah, I don’t consider their job easy at all. 

Dr Price and has been working at  one of the NewYork area hospitals exclusively treating corona patients. Interesting listen.  He is convinced that the primary way people are contracting corona is via touching their own face. It a good listen. 

Edited by stork642

42 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Going into the grocery store without a mask and/or gloves is...... oof

Last time I went, i was shocked at the number of people who just didnt give a fuck. Or didnt have the means? Either way, we are def. fucked based on this small, myopic sample size/opinion

Gloves aren't really going to help in this situation but a mask and eye protection is a good idea. Also you have to assume every surface is contaminated. Including your wallet and keys

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The people I have seen wearing gloves make way more mistakes and act as if the gloves can't get virus on them at all.    I think handwashing thoroughly and often is better for most people.  

Also, people that dispose of gloves by throwing them on the ground should be shot out of a cannon. 

I'm with you there. I think gloves give people a false sense of security and they relax. They think gloves are some magical material that can't spread the virus

• Like 1

Addendum to my HEB experience this morning: Probably 75% of the folks shopping were wearing some sort of cover on their face. Surprisingly the percentage of employees wearing face covers was probably less than 75%. Still pretty happy that most folks who chose to go to the store at least attempted to be safe.

Not surprised GreenspointTexas would follow/repost some scumbag on Twitter that revels in the fact that someone died from corona.  Regardless of political beliefs I will never take joy in someone else’s death.  Pretty fucking disgusting.  But again not surprised at all that this is the type of person he identifies with. 

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is the kind of fucking trash I expect from Twitter and folks like you. “Fuck yeah, that bitch deserved it!”

Fuck you, that Twitter whore, and anyone else who takes pleasure in someone dying because you happened to disagree with them. 

I have seen more political shit thrown in my face from fuckfaces on this thread than all other places where I spend time online combined. What a pathetic, boring, whiny, craven, tedious group of shitheads some of you are. 

Definitely no hilarious, beautiful irony in a dumbass person dying of a thing they called a hoax after they encouraged everyone to go out and spread it. Nope. We're all super duper nice to each other on this site, all the time, and we don't point out things like that.

• Like 8
  • Fuck You 9

so i haven't been to HEB in almost a month... when i do finally go, am i going to be mask-shamed? where are people getting masks, i thought they were unavailable to the general public weeks ago? i can rig something with a paper towel and rubber bands...but is that gonna make that much of a difference?? 

1 hour ago, Hmbre97 said:

My employer is a non-profit that serves mostly low to no income folks on govt assistance for everything. What we have found is that no matter how poor someone is, everyone seems to have a cell phone with data service. I think your concerns would be an easy problem to tackle IMO.

I work for a similar org but for the old folks. In my experience many have smart phones but generally lack the ability to use them for anything more than text or email.

In Greenspoint's defense (never thought that I'd type those words), if a bunch of people are inevitably going to die (and, sadly, they are), losing some nut who thinks that this virus is a fucking political ploy to impact a fucking election sure stings a lot less than losing a nurse or loving grandparent. I don't celebrate it or think she "deserved it," but I'm not exactly shedding a tear either.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is the kind of fucking trash I expect from Twitter and folks like you. “Fuck yeah, that bitch deserved it!”

Fuck you, that Twitter whore, and anyone else who takes pleasure in someone dying because you happened to disagree with them. 

I have seen more political shit thrown in my face from fuckfaces on this thread than all other places where I spend time online combined. What a pathetic, boring, whiny, craven, tedious group of shitheads some of you are. 

People die every day. I dont care one way or another that she died. I do care about how many others this woman infected over the last 4 weeks. I bet those people she infected along with their families care as well.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Uncle Boobs said:
34 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:
Cant believe it took people almost 3 fucking months to realize that everyone should be wearing a mask

Have you been wearing a mask since Jan 5th?

Of course he hasnt. He probably hasn’t had the need to, I imagine he’s sending his wife and kids out do his shopping for him. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Not surprised GreenspointTexas would follow/repost some scumbag on Twitter that revels in the fact that someone died from corona.  Regardless of political beliefs I will never take joy in someone else’s death.  Pretty fucking disgusting.  But again not surprised at all that this is the type of person he identifies with. 

Where in the fuck did i revel in her misery? She left behind two fucking kids. She most definitely transmitted that virus before she died. And her family scrubbed any mention of corona from her gofundme after her story went viral. 

Im not happy she died fuckface, but she likely killed others by being a jackass/piece of shit. She obviously didnt give a fuck about her family or loved ones. I guess you love people who spread this thing...

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, Uncle Boobs said:
37 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:
Cant believe it took people almost 3 fucking months to realize that everyone should be wearing a mask

Have you been wearing a mask since Jan 5th?

Ive been wearing a N95 in any public space (including work) for almost 6 weeks now. Like most people with a brain, i saw this coming. Havent been to any place other than work and the grocery store in over a month. Only went to the grocery store twice in the last 5-6 weeks.

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, aggie08 said:

In Greenspoint's defense (never thought that I'd type those words), if a bunch of people are inevitably going to die (and, sadly, they are), losing some nut who thinks that this virus is a fucking political ploy to impact a fucking election sure stings a lot less than losing a nurse or loving grandparent. I don't celebrate it or think she "deserved it," but I'm not exactly shedding a tear either.

Yeah, I’m not sure on delivery method, but it would be useful to somehow show the remaining “hoax” people that their brethren are actually dying.

Then again, they’d likely decide the deaths were actually assassinations to shut the truth tellers up. 

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I’m not shedding a tear whatsoever. I’m also not running here to post it, reveling in that person’s death, and shitting on the family for starting a go fund me page. There’s a night and day difference between that behavior and a non-piece of shit. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

If it was all hunky dory a-ok for everybody who was a "net taker" from society to pass away from this then based on several months of data we wouldn't be doing anything that we are currently doing.  

Greenspoint is a fucking clown.  Either you care about people dying or you don't.  Personally I think there should be a much deeper discussion about the broader nature of death  and how it fits into the natural order of things but that sure as fuck doesn't involve spiking the football on any one given death.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 2

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not shedding a tear whatsoever. I’m also not running here to post it, reveling in that person’s death, and shitting on the family for starting a go fund me page. There’s a night and day difference between that behavior and a non-piece if shit. 

This post is rich considering some of the awful things that I've seen said and massively upvoted on this very site. Not that they weren't hilarious, but still.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Where in the fuck did i revel in her misery? She left behind two fucking kids. She most definitely transmitted that virus before she died. And her family scrubbed any mention of corona from her gofundme after her story went viral. 

Im not happy she died fuckface, but she likely killed others by being a jackass/piece of shit. She obviously didnt give a fuck about her family or loved ones. I guess you love people who spread this thing...

I said  I’m not surprised you follow/repost a scumbag who is reveling in someone’s death.  Which is exactly what you did fuckface.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

If it was all hunky dory a-ok for everybody who was a "net taker" from society to pass away from this then based on several months of data we wouldn't be doing anything that we are currently doing.  

Greenspoint is a fucking clown.  Either you care about people dying or you don't.

If her dying literally saves hundreds, if not thousands of people, what is the right answer then?

jesus christ ur CTJ’s sock

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 8

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Either you care about people dying or you don't.

What? Yeah, no.

You can be sad about your grandmother passing but not care about some group of terrorists getting blown to shit by a tomahawk. It's not a black and white issue.

I'm not saying this lady was a terrorist but more akin to a drunk driver. Her poor decision making killed her and possibly more if she held influence over other people. It's ok to be meh about someone stupid dying from their own stupidity.

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away