Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Point of procedure 

GP was rightfully mocked for bringing CR content into the DT thread. Now all you stupid fucks are debating the CR issue. Is it okay to mock someone dying of COVID when they believed it was a hoax and probably spread it to other people? The answer should be debated in the CR thread. 

Great point!  Why can’t these CR fucks just stay in CR.  Unfortunately we have our own infection issue.  If you are a CR fuck please stay home. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

Lots of terrible karma in this thread. A person dying, even an idiot, still had a family or people who cared for them. They probably now have someone stuck with a really large medical bill that will be difficult to repay. Not sure why spiking the football on the idiot is great but if that's how you get your jollies, enjoy. It's pretty vacant though. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Lots of terrible karma in this thread. A person dying, even an idiot, still had a family or people who cared for them. They probably now have someone stuck with a really large medical bill that will be difficult to repay. Not sure why spiking the football on the idiot is great but if that's how you get your jollies, enjoy. It's pretty vacant though. 

I didn't see it as spiking the football in celebration. I feel sorry for her family but there are going to be stories like this that honestly need to go viral so the remainder of people who think like she did can maybe get the point that ok, maybe this isn't some political plot to overthrow my country and I need to take this shit seriously.

• Like 2

Just now, Hmbre97 said:

I didn't see it as spiking the football in celebration. I feel sorry for her family but there are going to be stories like this that honestly need to go viral so the remainder of people who think like she did can maybe get the point that ok, maybe this isn't some political plot to overthrow my country and I need to take this shit seriously.

Nah nah nah, 80% of the people on this thread cant understand that, let alone read at a 3rd grade level. 

• Fuck You 9

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I made my weekly HEB run this morning. Tried it yesterday at store opening and the line was just too much to bear and I knew I had today still to get it done. Showed up around 7:30 and the lady who went to the back of the line just in front of me was coughing. fml. I stayed a good 8' or so away from her the entire wait. And then some old guy wearing a mask comes up behind me and stands about 2' away. I told him to back the fuck up. People inside were for the most part being human and relatively calm, unlike a few weeks ago when this first started but there were still those assholes rushing thru like it was a game show shopping race. Back home by 8:30 and got what I needed and the brands that I wanted. Not looking forward to doing this for Easter weekend.

You should politely tell the rushers that exerting themselves and breathing hard increases their chances of sucking in the virus.  They should breath as little as possible.  In fact, suggest they hold their breath as long as possible while pushing the cart.  Then when they pass out on aisle 7, you can kick them in the junk and take their toilet paper.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the toilet paper panic and the supply chain split .... it was right in front of our faces....

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

Yeah I've been talking about it for a couple of weeks on this site and others.  I've spent a lot of years in supply chain planning, and even in high tech goods we stumble over the division between our Commercial supply, and Consumer supply, at times.  Different packaging requirements, different labeling requirements, and in the case of consumer packaged goods, different size/incremental requirements.

We'll be more flexible, and more ready, the next time something like this comes around.

I've mentioned before, I think we're lucky in some ways, that this disease is spreading so rapidly, but isn't as deadly as others (ebola and the like).  This is giving us a chance to pressure-test all of our emergency response plans and systems.  Overall, both nationally and globally, we're finding that we have a lot of gaps.  Better to find them NOW, though, rather than when the REALLY big one hits.

Imagine something as infectious as this, but as deadly as ebola.  That could be a nearly human-extinction-level event.  But if we carefully take lessons learned from this outbreak and apply them toward the next one, we'll be in much better shape.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

But if we carefully take lessons learned from this outbreak and apply them toward the next one, we'll be in much better shape.

About that...our history of applying lessons learned from previous outbreaks isn't stellar 

Hope you are right

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't know who this is on twitter as I do not have an account, but is this true?  

I have been wondering about this. With so many more people becoming temporary germaphobes, will the significant decrease in typical US pneumonia deaths offset the covid deaths?

I want to see the total US deaths caused by pneumonia in any given year and compare that to 2020 deaths caused by the total of typical pneumonia + atypical pneumonia + Covid 19 and see how they compare. 

9 minutes ago, pacman said:

About that...our history of applying lessons learned from previous outbreaks isn't stellar 

Hope you are right

I think folks in supply chain planning for material goods can make changes immediately.  In fact, I'm already seeing it happen.

World governments on the other hand?  They'll only respond if We The People hold them accountable.  We'll have to keep the pressure on to enact the changes we want.

So you can go to this site and pull data for yourselves...save you some time.  I don't see deaths "Falling off a cliff" any more than they normally do at this time of year.   What is interesting is that the pattern isn't remarkably higher (in fact a few years back 2017/2018 looks much worse compared to expected baselines.  All that said if you look at the last few weeks the numbers are a bit more than expected.

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Maybe social distancing is knocking out pneumonia.  Seems plausible.

This is probably it. That is also why people who are still trying to champion that "this is just the flu" are idiots by citing hospitals in rural areas and other non-hot spots are empty and furloughing health care workers. It's because everyone staying in their homes is causing a sharp drop in general illnesses and car accidents, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Too many poor people without internet and old people that couldn’t figure out how to order groceries. 

I like the idea though.

We ordered groceries from our HEB. Parked in a curbside slot, texted the numbers..... and it replied “Do not understand”. Repeat, rinse.

Flagged down a curbside cart girl & explained the failure, so she (at social distance) showed Mrs. Brat the steps on her phone. Thanks.

Tried again two more times, same reply from phone. Fuck that noise.

Flagged down another cart lady. She asked what name and said she would bring it out. She did, and loaded it all in the trunk....refused the offered $10 tip.

8 minutes ago, millhouse said:

I took that graph as them implying pneumonia deaths are being categorized as COVID related deaths this year

Yep, that was the implied intent, and it should make the rounds on everyone's distant relative's Facebook walls shortly. No further research necessary.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, mchookem said:

so i haven't been to HEB in almost a month... when i do finally go, am i going to be mask-shamed? where are people getting masks, i thought they were unavailable to the general public weeks ago? i can rig something with a paper towel and rubber bands...but is that gonna make that much of a difference?? 

yes

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

Having a good maid is fantastic.  You get to have almost as much sex with them as you do your wife, BUT they clean stuff, put stuff away and will do things you ask of them.  

All this is great except the part about almost as much sex as the wife. The maid needs to meet a much higher standard than that. 

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

a93c97c0befc74d05904612b781d9881.jpg

Nationally this would suggest higher than expected.

Incidentally region Texas belongs to is the only one “in range”

The other thing...the % line is going up when it typically would be going down.  I did check their total deaths number...that was not significantly different

52 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ive been wearing a N95 in any public space (including work) for almost 6 weeks now. Like most people with a brain, i saw this coming. Havent been to any place other than work and the grocery store in over a month. Only went to the grocery store twice in the last 5-6 weeks.

If you have all those masks you really should donate them to the hospital. I had a few and gave them away to people who actually need them and are using them to take care of others

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Definitely no hilarious, beautiful irony in a dumbass person dying of a thing they called a hoax after they encouraged everyone to go out and spread it. Nope. We're all super duper nice to each other on this site, all the time, and we don't point out things like that.

Fuck you, Pam

• Fuck You 1

We’re not big fans of HEB curbside p/u for a couple of reason, but the primary reason is that HEB frequently has outdated or nearly outdated food products mixed in with freshly stocked product.

Hopefully the curbside service will eliminate some of that as the HEB pickers pull items without checking the expiration dates. On the other hand I do feel bad for the customers that get home and discover that shit.

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

If you have all those masks you really should donate them to the hospital. I had a few and gave them away to people who actually need them and are using them to take care of others

Uh, i only have two. One for me and one for the wife. Wife works as a Nurse Practitioner at Texas Childrens and I cover anesthesia for 22 different surgical sites around town. I intubate people for a living. 

good call tho

46 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Hey, that’s my local affiliate in Denver! Seems like they just really botched making the y-axis logarithmic. They’ve been great at not downplaying the pandemic too. At the beginning of the outbreak in Colorado, the main anchor self quarantines for two weeks and did the news from their house as they flew back from Europe after a story. They’ve also done a ton of social distancing and advocating self quarantining for their employees with most people doing the weather, sports, news from their home. 

Think the guy saw Fox and thought they were bullshitting, but they really haven’t been. 

59 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Definitely no hilarious, beautiful irony in a dumbass person dying of a thing they called a hoax after they encouraged everyone to go out and spread it. Nope. We're all super duper nice to each other on this site, all the time, and we don't point out things like that.

I realize some of you are too dense to avoid conflating "being an asshole" with not drawing the line at the politically-oriented shaming of a moronic dead person and their family, but there are levels of "being an asshole" in the jocular manner it's correctly used here and then there is being a piece of human shit. You fit well into the last category, from what I've read. So do a bunch of your fellow posters from the Cloak Room. 

55 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

People die every day. I dont care one way or another that she died. I do care about how many others this woman infected over the last 4 weeks. I bet those people she infected along with their families care as well.

Are we going to play the "I don't like that person and they deserved to die because they spread the virus" game heading forward here? Just sort of start picking ones out of the crowd that fit our particular agenda or narrative and go from there? Is that it? Right.

There's a whole bunch of dead people in NY and NJ that we need to start digging around on. I'm sure plenty of them deserved it because they went out 3 weeks ago without a mask on and didn't flee the tri-state immediately. I bet they said some idiotic shit in social media too. The fucking yankees!

54 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Where in the fuck did i revel in her misery? She left behind two fucking kids. She most definitely transmitted that virus before she died. And her family scrubbed any mention of corona from her gofundme after her story went viral. 

Im not happy she died fuckface, but she likely killed others by being a jackass/piece of shit. She obviously didnt give a fuck about her family or loved ones. I guess you love people who spread this thing...

You are too stupid to even play stupid effectively. It's quite impressive. 

41 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Point of procedure 

GP was rightfully mocked for bringing CR content into the DT thread. Now all you stupid fucks are debating the CR issue. Is it okay to mock someone dying of COVID when they believed it was a hoax and probably spread it to other people? The answer should be debated in the CR thread. 

My primary issue with the first post, to your point, was the obvious political slant to the whole fucking thing. Over and over and over again. I know people "on the other side" who do the same shit. None of it is worth a bucket of piss. 

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away