Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Our big HEB grocery was in the middle of rearranging the entire store when all the discombobulation hit. None of us long time customers knew where anything was for a month until the store began handing out updated “maps”. Kinda moot now for us, what with the curbside thing.

are you still walking your dawgs to Central Park?

I believe you are thinking of Penelope Witherspoon; I'm in Texas.

50 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I just don't know that even if we COULD hire up enough employees, and even if we COULD convince everyone to shift their use case and start utilizing the professional shoppers instead of doing it on their own, even if the system COULD handle that which I have serious doubts about

If the little shopper person would agree to wear a camera so I could 'look' over their shoulder I might. ("No, not that one--do you see the bruise? Those strawberries have mold, you need to turn the container upside down and look at the bottom to make sure they're not moldy) I'm that person in the produce section. Everywhere else in the store, I can pick the container up and in a second notice any damage, dents, expiration dates, but produce I am picky. It costs a lot and our family doesn't throw any away but it's worth it. Our family eats a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and my children love lots of variety so that is probably the section that takes up the most time for me.

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

First off, its spit roast. And once you high five, you're really talking about an Eiffel Tower. I expect more from you, Casual Encounter. We're only a few weeks into the madness and you can already see the tell-tale signs of cultural and educational deterioration. I fear a modern Dark Ages is all but inevitable. 

Sorry, phone got me on the split-spit. I don’t type for shit on here and often fail to proofread. I’ll do better, I promise. Or not...

Regarding your second accusation, how dare you assume high fives only occur during the act. 

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

So you would be cool with someone mocking Trayvon Martin in a nonpolitical thread on this board because he died while doing dumb things?

Good christ. Talk about apples and oranges. The fuck is wrong with some of you?

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Louisiana, NJ, Cali, Florida, Texas, Georgia all reporting substantially lower case number than yesterday according to worldometer.. let’s hope it’s not a weekend thing and we them jump tomorrow

this needs to be compared to testing numbers 

• Like 1

One of the things I’m concerned about is that with all the hand washing and sanitizing, we may cut down on transmissions of sickness going forward, but we are going to open our bodies up to higher incident of severity when we do get sick.   

17 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Louisiana, NJ, Cali, Florida, Texas, Georgia all reporting substantially lower case number than yesterday according to worldometer.. let’s hope it’s not a weekend thing and we them jump tomorrow

It'll be a weekend thing. No way Florida is seeing any decreases for at least a couple of weeks. 

Dr Price and has been working at  one of the NewYork area hospitals exclusively treating corona patients. Interesting listen.  He is convinced that the primary way people are contracting corona is via touching their own face. It a good listen. 

He’s just a dentist.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been thinking a lot lately about the cloak-roominess of society generally, and how the pandemic is just exacerbating the problem, and then I come here and see the Tweet that has everone all a-twitter.

The woman who cried "hoax!" and then died from Covid certainly didn't deserve it, but then neither did/do the people she recklessly exposed to it.

The problem, though, from a Liberal's point of view, is that I see equally reckless behavior among the "Support local businesses!" cohort.

The more you go out, even with masks and gloves, the more you stir shit up, and this damned virus doesn't give a good goddamn who the fuck you voted for, or how many cloth bags you take to the fucking farmer's market.

Stay the fuck home, and worry about who is to blame for what once the only people not protected against this thing are the anti-vaxxers. Take out all the venom on them that you want.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I'd be curious to know how many more professional shoppers would be required, if every single person/family buying groceries, switched over to curbside/insta/delivery models?  It would certainly be a lot more professional shoppers than are currently in stores.  But how many more?  How much of a difference might it make to the potential spread of the virus?  Or would it just shift the risk from one population to another?  Not sure...

The more logical thing would be to convert about half the grocery stores to distribution centers as it makes zero sense to have pickers in stores stocked/ displayed for traditional shoppers. Go Aldi's style and just cut the case open in a picker only warehouse and nothing more. No need for shelf jockeying for product placement, make it all alphabetically by product type.

I'm turning into old man yelling at the clouds for oblivious 'pro shoppers' blocking the way and leaving their barge sized carts in the middle of each aisle.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Worldometers provided an explanation for why numbers were adjusted downward. They had a doublecounting issue.

The quote: "NOTE: the 5:00 PM New York City daily report [source] contains lower numbers than those provided at 11:00 AM (6 hours earlier) by Governor Cuomo [source] [source]. Therefore, the increase between the 9:30 AM and the 5:00 PM daily report by the City of New York shall not be taken as an indication of a change occurring after the previous report. In order to keep the reporting criteria consistent, we have adjusted the figures accordingly."

41 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

26 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I remain skeptical of Sunday numbers. Last Sunday saw new deaths drop from 500+ to just over 300. We were over 900 by Tuesday. 

23 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It'll be a weekend thing. No way Florida is seeing any decreases for at least a couple of weeks. 

Florida has a second update each day in the evening that gets woven into the numbers. Whatever they flash in the morning, assume it will more or less double by the evening, especially on the case side of things. 

In looking at past Sundays, the case information doesn't appear out of whack to overall trends. The death tolls wobbled last week but the week before, Sunday set a new all-time high. So, who knows?

One thing I do know is that Dahobbs is going to need somewhere besides the tri-state to absolutely fucking explode with death over the next 5 days in order for his target of 10,000 deaths/day by 4/10 to come to fruition. 

45 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

props to the canucks.  they are crushing it so far. assume they know how to prep for winter and have 100's of pounds of moose meat in the freezer

Shitty thing is it's still cold and snowy here, so cabin fever is even worse. And you can only cook moose so many different ways. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Death don't take the weekend off.  Testing volume, however, seems reasonable that there would be some weekly fluctuations. 

As glad as I am to see those declining numbers from NY and France, I worry that this will convince some folks predisposed to thinking it is an over-blown threat to not stay hunkered down because this is "over".    The fly-over states and places like Florida are a month away from their dangerous spike.  

Hell, I drive to work in NOLA every day, and the lack of traffic and people in the Central Business District confirms that we are pretty damn near shut down. *  And yet the numbers are still spiking.      

Some places are due to be hit in a big way, and staying put (for most people) is the only way to limit the number of cases.  

(* I only go in to do the things I can't do remotely, like check mail and process stuff I can't do from home.  Clients who have been injured/without jobs even before this happened desperately need their settlements checks sent out, even if their lawyer would rather stay at home.  )  

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Florida has a second update each day in the evening that gets woven into the numbers. Whatever they flash in the morning, assume it will more or less double by the evening, especially on the case side of things. 

In looking at past Sundays, the case information doesn't appear out of whack to overall trends. The death tolls wobbled last week but the week before, Sunday set a new all-time high. So, who knows?

One thing I do know is that Dahobbs is going to need somewhere besides the tri-state to absolutely fucking explode with death over the next 5 days in order for his target of 10,000 deaths/day by 4/10 to come to fruition. 

Jesus you are ridiculous. I specifically said I didn't want to make a prediction as to whether that would happen, I only said it was in the realm of possibility given our available information. At any rate, it is also very clear that other areas will "fucking explode." Louisiana is already doing it. The real question isn't whether other areas explode, but whether New York and New Jersey start to drop down enough due to their earlier shutdowns.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

We’re not big fans of HEB curbside p/u for a couple of reason, but the primary reason is that HEB frequently has outdated or nearly outdated food products mixed in with freshly stocked product.

Hopefully the curbside service will eliminate some of that as the HEB pickers pull items without checking the expiration dates. On the other hand I do feel bad for the customers that get home and discover that shit.

This shit will not stand. I’ve been checking every expiration date since I almost dumped a rancid bottle of onion juice into the blender for fried turkey injection. Almost a year past. 
Seems to be happening more often I find expired shit or I just don’t notice before. 

16 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

As glad as I am to see those declining numbers from NY and France, I worry that this will convince some folks predisposed to thinking it is an over-blown threat to not stay hunkered down because this is "over".  

This is my concern as well. Once we get this under control and turn the course, people are going to go right back to being full retard. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Caribou, moose, mule deer, grizzlies, and squirrels, Badgers and black bear. Ass loads of squirrels. Which we have already covered on this page. Bear is a vastly under rated meat.

That said, prepare your anus for the price gouging on your Maple Syrup. That shit is run by a legalized Mafiaoso.

Bears carry Trichinosis, so either cook it well done, or pay to have the carcass tested. 

There was an interesting episode of Netflix Dirty Money about the Maple Syrup cartel.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Yeah, they were claiming it was widely available. Time will tell

It is listed at WHO as an essential drug. It is aka heart worm medicine for dogs. It is also used for many parasitic infections in humans. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away