Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

30 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

That's only midget maids

They do a fantastic job getting the underside of tables. Not so great at cleaning the ceilings and changing light bulbs. You really need one of each.

Edited by Bevo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That doesn't seem particularly surprising to me. We've shutdown large swaths of the country. Presumably death due to things like traffic fatalities, other accidents, other illnesses (e.g., flu), and even crime have been cut down significantly as a result. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/491055-crime-rates-drop-across-the-nation-amid-coronavirus

But, the important point here is that you can't take a decrease in total deaths to mean that a shutdown wasn't necessary. Rather, the decrease in deaths is almost certainly attributable to the shutdown itself. 

No shit sherlock, why do you always think every thing that you don't post is in some way saying that there shouldn't have been a shutdown.  It's like a drum you can't resist beating in every fucking thread you post in.  The data really doesn't support any conclusions at this point other than to keep an eye on it over the next few weeks as Covid deaths increase.

Now that said  I would SPECULATE that if we KEEP OUR EYES on these numbers AND EVENTUALLY if those numbers stay lower  or even somewhat "even" with normal as Covid deaths grow there will be a point where people are going to start asking "by continuing (notice I said "continuing") to do this are we just trading some deaths for other deaths and in the meantime giving up a lot of shit"   If the numbers do end up doing that and eventually you yourself wouldn't at least consider the question then you are not nearly as smart as you like to think you are.  If the end game numbers blow up then by all means keep the lid on shit.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

covidtracking reports

Currently

22K hospitalized

5.2K ICU

.7K on Vent

It would be helpful if you could provide the context of the data and the source to try to make sense of it.  Those numbers seem too high for NYC but too low to be nationwide. Also the ratio of ICU cases to number of people on vents seems staggeringly low. Maybe I'm ill-informed, but I thought the majority of cases requiring the ICU would be on ventilators and that data shows less than 15%? 

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Brew is clearly a blithering moron. He won't even understand the nature of your post.

Blithering? I’m not sure you know the definition of the words you use. We’ve been at home since the 13th of March with very little outside contact. Our firm has been locked down since the 16th. I go to the grocery store a few minutes before closing when it is pretty well empty. I have not used a mask for that type trip. If I had masks, I would have given them to my partner’s wife in the medical profession so they could be used where they are currently needed. People are wasting them right now because they are using them incorrectly which keeps them from serving any purpose and takes them from those that could use them. That’s about the closest I’m going to come to blithering just for the record.

I also haven’t been since the change in the CDC’s stance.

Edited by Brew

This is more than a little disconcerting and may answer why some places have escalated more quickly than others.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus-china-us-flights-430000-people

About 430,000 people have flown on direct flights from China to the United States since Chinese officials first disclosed the outbreak of what is now the novel coronavirus to world health officials on New Year’s Eve, according to a new report published Saturday.

Most of the travelers flew into airports in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Seattle, Newark and Detroit in January. Thousands came directly from the city of Wuhan in the Chinese Hubei province, where the coronavirus originated, the New York Times reported.

The report did not account for travelers who did not fly directly from China and may have come into the U.S. on a connecting flight from the country.

The number of passengers flying directly into the U.S. from China was significantly reduced after President Trump issued a travel ban on Jan. 31 – the day after the World Health Organization declared a global health emergency.

Foreign nationals were barred from entering the U.S. if they had visited China within the past two weeks.

Even after the order went into effect on February 2, some 40,000 people – traveling on 279 flights – have arrived in the U.S. from China, according to the analysis from the New York Times based on data collected in both countries.

Those individuals were exempt from the restrictions because they were either American citizens, U.S. passport or green cardholders. Non-citizen relatives were also permitted to enter the U.S., an exemption made by the president to prevent the separation of families.

Some of those flights arrived within the past week from Beijing into major U.S. airports in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York.

In January, when Chinese officials were still underreporting the effect of the outbreak, Trump received push-back for issuing a travel ban, with several Democrats in Congress suggesting it could lead to discrimination. The U.S. restrictions came weeks before the WHO recommended similar measures barring travel.

Still, the Times report questioned whether Trump’s order came soon enough to have “kept China out.”

“I do think we were very early, but I also think that we were very smart, because we stopped China,” Trump said at a briefing last week. “That was probably the biggest decision we made so far.”

The first confirmed case of COVID-19 in the U.S. was identified on Jan. 20 in Washington State. But, experts from the New England Journal of Medicine suspect the virus arrived undetected even before then.

As many as 25 percent of those infected with the coronavirus may not show symptoms, Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told NPR in Atlanta last week.

Many passengers arriving from China within the past two months said they experienced lax screening procedures at U.S. airports. Some travelers said they had their temperatures taken and filled out health forms, but were not intensely questioned and were never contacted again, the Times reported.

Others said they were told to self-quarantine for 14 days and received two reminder text messages but received no further follow-up from the CDC or local health officials.

More than 1.2 million people around the world have tested positive for coronavirus. As of Sunday, the U.S. has accounted for 320,000 of the cases - the most of any country.

More than 67,000 people have died from the virus, while more than 252,000 have recovered.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The question is if it comes back with a vengeance if restrictions are loosened.  I believe that's happened to a couple countries in Asia already.

Would help to know how many in the country have had it and now have antibodies - how close we are to herd immunity. 

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The question is if it comes back with a vengeance if restrictions are loosened.  I believe that's happened to a couple countries in Asia already.

What do you mean “if”? How can it NOT come back with a vengeance? The virus is not gonna become less malignant because we slowed it down some. We are all gonna get it.

37 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

No shit sherlock, why do you always think every thing that you don't post is in some way saying that there shouldn't have been a shutdown.  It's like a drum you can't resist beating in every fucking thread you post in.  The data really doesn't support any conclusions at this point other than to keep an eye on it over the next few weeks as Covid deaths increase.

Now that said  I would SPECULATE that if we KEEP OUR EYES on these numbers AND EVENTUALLY if those numbers stay lower  or even somewhat "even" with normal as Covid deaths grow there will be a point where people are going to start asking "by continuing (notice I said "continuing") to do this are we just trading some deaths for other deaths and in the meantime giving up a lot of shit"   If the numbers do end up doing that and eventually you yourself wouldn't at least consider the question then you are not nearly as smart as you like to think you are.  If the end game numbers blow up then by all means keep the lid on shit.  

This is a weird post. I wasn't attacking you or your post at all. I was just positing as to why we'd see a decrease in total deaths. Also, if we keep pace with our normal daily death rate (7,700) despite significant decreases in non-covid deaths, doesn't that indicate that we'd be seeing a substantial increase in deaths sans shutdown? How would it be a trade? We certainly don't expect covid deaths to decrease if we stop a shutdown, do we?

At any rate, I 100% agree that we can't continue in a shutdown forever. Hell, I'd prefer if we never had to done one in the first place, but we didn't have the testing or other resources in place to make that happen.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 2

Pato hit on what I was getting at.

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

What do you mean “if”? How can it NOT come back with a vengeance? The virus is not gonna become less malignant because we slowed it down some. We are all gonna get it.

3 minutes ago, XYZ said:

We are all gonna get it? Doubt that, literally we have less than 1% of the population with it. I would be flabbergasted if it ran through 60% of the population. 

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Has there been any progress as far as the efficacy of treatment? There was some hope around hydroxychloroquine combined with azithromycin. Does that work?

For what it is worth on this...a FB post from a friend of mine who is an ER head down in the New Orleans area a few days ago said that the azithromycin seemed to be leading to too many cardiac issues" and the hydroxychloroquine well fuck it here is what he said when somebody asked

I've talked with a critical care friend who said that zithromax is causing too many heart problems. He felt that they haven't had enough patients to get a feel for the effectiveness of hydroxy chloroquine

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

That's why we really need good testing and a plan to aggressively identify and isolate infected individuals once we open back up. Well, that or a miracle treatment/vaccine. 

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Viruses do mutate, and get often weaker. I'm pretty sure I read that in one of the many things I've read over the last few weeks (SEE:  Spanish flu ??).

4 minutes ago, Uncle Boobs said:
16 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:
Haven't been around much since the move from Shaggy.  Is RayDog a different guy than the one that was banned 2-3 times for talking about barebacking hookers?

You're thinking of Grendel.

But when Grendel talked about riding bareback, he was talking about his bicycles with the seats removed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Has there been any progress as far as the efficacy of treatment? There was some hope around hydroxychloroquine combined with azithromycin. Does that work?

Alone or combo of drugs...as @SurlyBevo said, z-pak can cause some arrhythmia problems....

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/apr/2/hydroxychloroquine-rated-most-effective-therapy-do/

Edited by BillyGoatHill

21 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You know others using them incorrectly doesn't prohibit YOU from using them correctly. Additionally, when people are "using them wrong" as you noted, they are still reducing the spread of infection. 

Just because you're not walking by people doesn't mean you're not spreading infection on products and material that will be purchased later. The same can be said for people you say are "using them incorrectly". 

So all this high and mighty bullshit you are claiming is potentially dramatically increasing the spread of infection. Thereby making the already difficult work load and situation for medical workers even worse.

So your fucking nobility is likely having the exact opposite effect deaired on those very medical  purport to be trying to help in the first place.

Beyond this reality, as an early mask adopter I actually helped normalize what is a traditionally deviant behavior in the eyes of most US Citizens. Whereas, your behavior continues to foster a false, straight up no argument, incorrect rumor by many idiots out there that masks don't fucking help. Thereby increasing the chances of others not wearing masks. Which, again, actually serves to potentially put further burden on the medical folks you claim to want to help.

So if, after this long point of fact post that I've provided you still can't see why your logic and bullshit is flawed to the very core, we have nothing further to discuss. 

You moronically blathering monkey fucking shit for brains.

See, that would be blithering. For fucks sake, there is no high and mighty. I haven’t said a negative word about people using them nor have I said they don’t help. If you could read instead of project what you want to read, you would see that what I said was people are currently wasting them the way they are using them. Pulling them away to talk, propping them on their foreheads to talk on their phones, pulling them away I assume to get a breath, scratching behind them while they walk through the store, carrying their phones in their hands which I can assure you they prop back up against their ears when they get to their vehicles, etc. I’ve been to the store or in a public place twice since the 13th, we’re much more quarantined than 99% of the population. Keep spewing whatever you feel you need to though.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

David:  What’s wrong Jim? 

Jim:  Nothing.  Ol Pete the Tiger just doesn’t seem to be feeling well.  Scratchy throat, muscle aches and fever.

David:  Well text him for CoronaVirus.

Jim:  You know, I think I will.  

Get the fuck outta here.

19 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If it can infect other animals, can it jump back to us after infecting them? Do we need to start avoiding squirrels and birds as well?

Only two things we know for sure, tigers love pepper and hate cinnamon. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Link to AP reporting on COVID-19 tiger

I'm pretty sure we're fucked if it's jumping species.

Well it technically did from bat to that armadillo looking thing to us to cats. Problem is, what if it mutates at a species and suddenly it's killing small children too at higher rates.

6 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:
18 minutes ago, Captainant said:
Link to AP reporting on COVID-19 tiger
I'm pretty sure we're fucked if it's jumping species.

Do we actually trust whatever tests are out there? Wasn't there some study that came out that talked about how some tests could be unreliable?

If lions and tigers at the same zoo are actually having symptoms and then actually test positive after an asymptomatic zoo keeper tested positive then, uh, im believing the test

Edited by GreenspointTexas

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away