Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So where are we at today? Good news that NY deaths potentially peaked, correct?

If they ain’t lion 

6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So where are we at today? Good news that NY deaths potentially peaked, correct?

Edited by Sleep off ugly
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mchookem said:

so i haven't been to HEB in almost a month... when i do finally go, am i going to be mask-shamed? where are people getting masks, i thought they were unavailable to the general public weeks ago? i can rig something with a paper towel and rubber bands...but is that gonna make that much of a difference?? 

Wear a home made mask. We went through the #s earlier in this thread for various materials. It won't be as good as N95 but it's waaaay better than nothing. The CDC has a simple how to:  https://youtu.be/tPx1yqvJgf4

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

It would be helpful if you could provide the context of the data and the source to try to make sense of it.  Those numbers seem too high for NYC but too low to be nationwide. Also the ratio of ICU cases to number of people on vents seems staggeringly low. Maybe I'm ill-informed, but I thought the majority of cases requiring the ICU would be on ventilators and that data shows less than 15%? 

Nationwide

A tiger at the bronx zoo has it.  Supposedly from an asymptomatic handler.  Two questions:

1.  I thought animals couldn't get it?  Been told 100x that you can't give it to your dog or cat.

2. If that's wrong, is it also incorrect that they can't spread it?  Been told that just as many times.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-04-05-20/h_24d6531089785e1ef18e16b569a42346

33 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Gov says they did...who knows what the timeline they’re using.

Without the NY evening update the US is down 12000 new cases which holy shit. Also -200 deaths vs yesterday

Might be a weekend thing too. I think we saw some drop off last Sunday, but I could be wrong. 

Hopefully the trend continues

10 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

They tested positive but it was unclear if they had it or if it was just residual viral dna from their owners 

No way to know. The locals ate the hosts to destroy the evidence. Well actually, that was just a bonus, to be honest. They were going to eat them anyways.

This 60 Minutes on the impacts of this to the people in NYC is incredibly tough but also has a lot of heartwarming stories. Stories of people now out of work that can't get through to the unemployment office to get benefits started, a company that went from laying off 30 to hiring 100 when they retooled to make shields and masks, employees volunteering to split hours with others so everyone can get paid, and someone buying meals from a local restaurant to support them but also give Mt Sinai staff something good to eat.  If you have a chance to catch the replay, it's worth it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This 60 Minutes on the impacts of this to the people in NYC is incredibly tough but also has a lot of heartwarming stories. Stories of people now out of work that can't get through to the unemployment office to get benefits started, a company that went from laying off 30 to hiring 100 when they retooled to make shields and masks, employees volunteering to split hours with others so everyone can get paid, and someone buying meals from a local restaurant to support them but also give Mt Sinai staff something good to eat.  If you have a chance to catch the replay, it's worth it. 

"What's the deal with this coronavirus?"

06rooney-cnd3-jumbo.jpg

• Like 5

A friend in my apartment complex said he always used a 30x approximation at work to estimate the real number of flu-like illnesses. So using his rule of thumb there are around 10,000,000 actual cases in the US. Given that only half the country appears to be taking effective isolation and mask wearing steps, the number of cases will continue doubling every 3 to 7 days.  Consequently I expect the US to have 100 million cases in the next 10 to 21 days. That could lead to 500,000 deaths by the end of May, unless something is done immediately. Of course politicians will find ways to not count all those deaths appropriately. 

Unfortunately,  herd immunity takes over 80% of the population to be infected, so that will take at least three waves. We won't achieve herd immunity until sometime next year, and probably not until a vaccine has been used. This is a long way from over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Might be a weekend thing too. I think we saw some drop off last Sunday, but I could be wrong. 

Hopefully the trend continues

Some discussed it earlier with conjecture, but the KY gov said today that many private testing labs don't report on Sunday, so our new case number dropped by nearly half. It's probably pretty idiosyncratic by state. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cant believe it took people almost 3 fucking months to realize that everyone should be wearing a mask

Should they? https://www.businessinsider.com/who-healthy-people-dont-need-medical-masks-that-could-change-2020-4

Which of the numerous sources are the reliable ones? I thought WHO was the standard, 3 months ago and on the mentioned briefing on April 1?

7 minutes ago, RayDog said:

A friend in my apartment complex said he always used a 30x approximation at work to estimate the real number of flu-like illnesses. So using his rule of thumb there are around 10,000,000 actual cases in the US. Given that only half the country appears to be taking effective isolation and mask wearing steps, the number of cases will continue doubling every 3 to 7 days.  Consequently I expect the US to have 100 million cases in the next 10 to 21 days. That could lead to 500,000 deaths by the end of May, unless something is done immediately. Of course politicians will find ways to not count all those deaths appropriately. 

Unfortunately,  herd immunity takes over 80% of the population to be infected, so that will take at least three waves. We won't achieve herd immunity until sometime next year, and probably not until a vaccine has been used. This is a long way from over.

tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RayDog said:

A friend in my apartment complex said he always used a 30x approximation at work to estimate the real number of flu-like illnesses. So using his rule of thumb there are around 10,000,000 actual cases in the US. Given that only half the country appears to be taking effective isolation and mask wearing steps, the number of cases will continue doubling every 3 to 7 days.  Consequently I expect the US to have 100 million cases in the next 10 to 21 days. That could lead to 500,000 deaths by the end of May, unless something is done immediately. Of course politicians will find ways to not count all those deaths appropriately. 

Not surprisingly, papasan knows her shit on infectious diseases. 

Edited by Poolflood
Gender correction. Something raydog may be familiar with as well
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Dammit.  RayDog just turned on the CTJ Beacon.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away