Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

If that tiger story is true, expect tomorrow’s headline to read, “All Big Cat Rescue’s Tigers and Owner’s Husband Disappear Overnight”. Carol Baskin will be quoted as saying, “All I know is, he was leaving early, early, early in the morning. I guess he decided to take the cats with him.”

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Dammit.  RayDog just turned on the CTJ Beacon.

Sorry, I am just trying to point out that the 100,000 to 240,000 estimate was based on certain measures being taken, and they a not being taken. We must be prepared for something worse.

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Boris Johnson gonna be intubated in less than 48 hrs

Why do I get the feeling Boris Johnson is now not only going to live through this but will be the catalyst for a miracle cure based on his antibodies?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

They tested positive but it was unclear if they had it or if it was just residual viral dna from their owners 

They went through this thoroughly and concluded that dogs couldn’t catch it. I’m sure google will prove what I recall being posted in this thread about 2-3 weeks ago if you do a search. 

34 minutes ago, RayDog said:

A friend in my apartment complex said he always used a 30x approximation at work to estimate the real number of flu-like illnesses. So using his rule of thumb there are around 10,000,000 actual cases in the US. Given that only half the country appears to be taking effective isolation and mask wearing steps, the number of cases will continue doubling every 3 to 7 days.  Consequently I expect the US to have 100 million cases in the next 10 to 21 days. That could lead to 500,000 deaths by the end of May, unless something is done immediately. Of course politicians will find ways to not count all those deaths appropriately. 

Unfortunately,  herd immunity takes over 80% of the population to be infected, so that will take at least three waves. We won't achieve herd immunity until sometime next year, and probably not until a vaccine has been used. This is a long way from over.

Okay, I know you’re really smart, but simply fuck off on this kind of silliness. 

1) You can’t take your cues on what is happening from the manufactured hysteria on this thread and in social media. Mitigation here is full blown compared to “normal” in our society. 

2) Stick to stories about whores and your fears of being murdered while sheltering in place. They were better. 

3) We won’t come within 425,000 of your number by Memorial Day. Let me know if you want to take the over for money or photos of sluts that one of us would be required to share to the other over DM. I’m giving you 17/20ths of your previous post, so it should be an easy one for you.  

7 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Dammit.  RayDog just turned on the CTJ Beacon.

Fucking A right he did. Empowered dorks randomly throwing out doomsday math is so old it’s stale here. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

2) Stick to stories about whores and your fears of being murdered while sheltering in place. They were better. 

3) We won’t come within 425,000 of your number by Memorial Day. Let me know if you want to take the over for money or photos of sluts that one of us would be required to share to the other over DM. I’m giving you 17/20ths of your previous post, so it should be an easy one for you.  

Fucking A right he did. Empowered dorks randomly throwing out doomsday math is so old it’s stale here. 

So kinda like Randolph Duke with aggy.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

Just try and imagine GreenspointTexas being the person to intubate you as you fight for your life against COVID-19. You’re laying there gasping for air while he chastises you for all the things you likely did to put yourself in this position and reminds you of the low percentage of patients who make it off the ventilator alive. As you begin to drift out of consciousness he whispers in your ear, “ballgame”.

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. There are plenty of people in high pressure jobs who are cool as a cucumber on the clock, and total drama queens on social media. I would much rather that than the reverse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Just try and imagine GreenspointTexas being the person to intubate you as you fight for your life against COVID-19. You’re laying there gasping for air while he chastises you for all the things you likely did to put yourself in this position and reminds you of the low percentage of patients who make it off the ventilator alive. As you begin to drift out of consciousness he whispers in your ear, “ballgame”.

"Game, Greenspoint!"

55-35124-dave-chappelle-as-prince-comedy-central-1470093528.jpg

• Like 4

d9a7e9bcd357bc06c741f94b11b5ce58.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Regarding the felines catching corona, that’s fucking great news. My wife adopted a juvenile cat for my daughter on her birthday about 15 months ago, without telling me until the cat came through the threshold and the squealing 7 year old, apple-of-my-eye fell instantly in love. This fucking cat is insane. I come to our house in Houston each day from Galveston to work and focus, and he’s damned near stalking me. He’s terrifying unless I give him a bunch of affection while he’s isolated here without us.

Now, I’ve got a new plan. He’s my canary in the corona coal mine. I’m breathing and hacking into this fucker’s face until there’s a known treatment or cure. He’ll go ahead and let us know early. The cat version of “guess what!, motherfucker!”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'm good with Raydog throwing out the apocalypto post.  just as long as he keeps the ratio like 1 apocalypto to 30 whore posts.

actually agree 10M+ have or had this already and we may get to 100M but that won't be for another 10 months not 10 days.

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

Should they? https://www.businessinsider.com/who-healthy-people-dont-need-medical-masks-that-could-change-2020-4

Which of the numerous sources are the reliable ones? I thought WHO was the standard, 3 months ago and on the mentioned briefing on April 1?

Ignore him. He railed about anyone not wearing a mask for the last 3 months being a complete idiot, then admitted about 50 posts later that he’s only been wearing his for a month and a half. Therefore by his own metrics he is a fucking moron. 

• Like 5

American Airlines on Sunday slashed service to just 13 flights from the three main airports serving New York City, as the region, a coronavirus hotspot, grows more isolated.

American Airlines slashes more than 90% of flights in the NYC-area, a coronavirus hotspot https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/coronavirus-american-airlines-slashes-service-in-the-new-york-area.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

4 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

American Airlines on Sunday slashed service to just 13 flights from the three main airports serving New York City, as the region, a coronavirus hotspot, grows more isolated.

American Airlines slashes more than 90% of flights in the NYC-area, a coronavirus hotspot https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/coronavirus-american-airlines-slashes-service-in-the-new-york-area.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

the real question is why wouldn't it be 100%?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RayDog said:

A friend in my apartment complex said he always used a 30x approximation at work to estimate the real number of flu-like illnesses. So using his rule of thumb there are around 10,000,000 actual cases in the US. Given that only half the country appears to be taking effective isolation and mask wearing steps, the number of cases will continue doubling every 3 to 7 days.  Consequently I expect the US to have 100 million cases in the next 10 to 21 days. That could lead to 500,000 deaths by the end of May, unless something is done immediately. Of course politicians will find ways to not count all those deaths appropriately. 

Unfortunately,  herd immunity takes over 80% of the population to be infected, so that will take at least three waves. We won't achieve herd immunity until sometime next year, and probably not until a vaccine has been used. This is a long way from over.

very interesting !

17 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Man, we’re just living in someone’s screenplay.

I can guarantee it isn't mine.  My screenplay would involve a virus that is so heinous it kills within 24 hours and the only cure is for me to have a constant threesome with two smoking hot chicks from the San Marcos thread.  And I save the world!

• Like 4

Damn, this quarantine shit really sucks for some:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/style/coronavirus-honeymoon-stranded.html?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email

Olivia and Raul De Freitas are currently on their honeymoon, at a five-star resort, in the Maldives, a nation composed of more than a thousand tiny, idyllic islands in the Indian Ocean, like a trail of smashed crystals scattered on a slab of blue glass. For years the subject of fantasy photo spreads in glossy magazines, featuring luxe bungalows on stilts, in unreal aquamarine water, it was an obvious choice for their romantic getaway.

The couple arrived just married from South Africa, where they are citizens, on Sunday, March 22, planning to stay for six days. For a 27-year-old teacher and a 28-year-old butcher, the holiday “was an extravagance,” Ms. De Freitas said. But since they hadn’t lived together before exchanging vows, it would be a short, firecracker of a launch to their marriage.

Still, they had some concerns about the trip, considering the mounting travel restrictions imposed in light of the new coronavirus outbreak around the world. But nothing specific that would affect them had been announced, and their travel agent assured them that, whatever policy was forthcoming, all South African citizens would be allowed back home. Go ahead and have a great time, they were told.

By Wednesday, they received notice that their country’s airports would all be closed by midnight Thursday. Flights back to South Africa are five hours to Doha, Qatar, a three-hour layover, and then nine hours to Johannesburg — so even if they scrambled, and even if they could get a flight, the complexities of leaving their remote island ensured they’d never make it home in time.

As much of the world rapidly ground to a halt, the few other guests still at the resort last week escaped to their respective countries. The last of them to leave, Americans, had to wrangle permission for a flight to Russia, before returning to the United States.

The couple considered taking the hour-and-a-half speedboat ride to the main island and trying their luck at the airport. But the Maldives had also announced their own lockdown around the same time, banning any new foreign travelers. If they left the resort, they might not be allowed back in. So, they stayed.

By Sunday, they were the only guests at their resort, the Cinnamon Velifushi Maldives, which normally is at capacity this time of year, catering to some 180 guests. (“Room rates start at $750 a night,” its website still says.) The resort comprises the entirety of its speck of an island. There is nowhere to go. The couple reign like benign yet captive sovereigns over their islet. The days are long and lazy. They sleep in, snorkel, lounge by the pool, repeat.

The resort’s full staff are at hand, because of the presence of the two guests. Government regulations won’t allow any Maldivians to leave resorts until after they undergo a quarantine that follows their last guests’ departure. Accustomed to the flow of a bustling workday, and the engagement with a full house of guests, most of the staff, having grown listless and lonely, dote on the couple ceaselessly. Their “room boy” checks on them five times a day. The dining crew made them an elaborate candlelit dinner on the beach. Every night performers still put on a show for them in the resort’s restaurant: Two lone audience members in a grand dining hall.

At breakfast, nine waiters loiter by their table. Hostesses, bussers and assorted chefs circulate conspicuously, like commoners near a celebrity. The couple has a designated server, but others still come by to chat during meals, topping off water glasses after each sip, offering drinks even though brimming cocktail glasses stand in full view, perspiring. The diving instructor pleads with them to go snorkeling whenever they pass him by.

Update: On Sunday, April 5, according to the couple, they were given an hour’s notice by the embassy, communicating via WhatsApp, to pack their bags. After saying their goodbyes and thank-yous, they were taken by speedboat to another five-star resort, where South Africans in the Maldives, about two dozen in all, are being consolidated. The local government told them it would subsidize a large portion of the cost of their stay.

Their return date home? Still unknown.

As for their original hotel’s staff, they have been told they must remain for two weeks after the guest’s departure. According to the hotel management, they have been, and are still being, paid.

oakImage-1585849827889-superJumbo.jpg?qu

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If lions and tigers at the same zoo are actually having symptoms and then actually test positive after an asymptomatic zoo keeper tested positive then, uh, im believing the test

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Not me. I'm waiting until they test the bears.

Don't bother testing the Bears. They haven't been able to catch anything for years. Test the Packers; Davante Adams is pretty good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can guarantee it isn't mine.  My screenplay would involve a virus that is so heinous it kills within 24 hours and the only cure is for me to have a constant threesome with two smoking hot chicks from the San Marcos thread.  And I save the world!
Isn't that close to the plot of Crank?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

They went through this thoroughly and concluded that dogs couldn’t catch it. I’m sure google will prove what I recall being posted in this thread about 2-3 weeks ago if you do a search. 

Okay, I know you’re really smart, but simply fuck off on this kind of silliness. 

1) You can’t take your cues on what is happening from the manufactured hysteria on this thread and in social media. Mitigation here is full blown compared to “normal” in our society. 

Those absurd and moronic numbers are brought to you by the guy who was predicting governor Wendy Davis in 2014. She only lost by 18 points. 

He might be smart but he’s a dope when it comes o making predictions. 

• Like 2

My maths are saying 3.3 million cases in the US as of today based on a worldwide mortality rate of 0.3%. Peak for the US will probably be around April 25. Things will then start looking better but will take another month and a half (beginning of June) to clear the hysteria and start the return to normalcy. Just to clarify, the peak will occur in different cities and states at different times. However, the overall peak for the country will be late April.

Edited by Bevo

Damn, this quarantine shit really sucks for some:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/style/coronavirus-honeymoon-stranded.html?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email
Olivia and Raul De Freitas are currently on their honeymoon, at a five-star resort, in the Maldives, a nation composed of more than a thousand tiny, idyllic islands in the Indian Ocean, like a trail of smashed crystals scattered on a slab of blue glass. For years the subject of fantasy photo spreads in glossy magazines, featuring luxe bungalows on stilts, in unreal aquamarine water, it was an obvious choice for their romantic getaway.
The couple arrived just married from South Africa, where they are citizens, on Sunday, March 22, planning to stay for six days. For a 27-year-old teacher and a 28-year-old butcher, the holiday “was an extravagance,” Ms. De Freitas said. But since they hadn’t lived together before exchanging vows, it would be a short, firecracker of a launch to their marriage.

Still, they had some concerns about the trip, considering the mounting travel restrictions imposed in light of the new coronavirus outbreak around the world. But nothing specific that would affect them had been announced, and their travel agent assured them that, whatever policy was forthcoming, all South African citizens would be allowed back home. Go ahead and have a great time, they were told.
By Wednesday, they received notice that their country’s airports would all be closed by midnight Thursday. Flights back to South Africa are five hours to Doha, Qatar, a three-hour layover, and then nine hours to Johannesburg — so even if they scrambled, and even if they could get a flight, the complexities of leaving their remote island ensured they’d never make it home in time.

As much of the world rapidly ground to a halt, the few other guests still at the resort last week escaped to their respective countries. The last of them to leave, Americans, had to wrangle permission for a flight to Russia, before returning to the United States.
The couple considered taking the hour-and-a-half speedboat ride to the main island and trying their luck at the airport. But the Maldives had also announced their own lockdown around the same time, banning any new foreign travelers. If they left the resort, they might not be allowed back in. So, they stayed.

By Sunday, they were the only guests at their resort, the Cinnamon Velifushi Maldives, which normally is at capacity this time of year, catering to some 180 guests. (“Room rates start at $750 a night,” its website still says.) The resort comprises the entirety of its speck of an island. There is nowhere to go. The couple reign like benign yet captive sovereigns over their islet. The days are long and lazy. They sleep in, snorkel, lounge by the pool, repeat.
The resort’s full staff are at hand, because of the presence of the two guests. Government regulations won’t allow any Maldivians to leave resorts until after they undergo a quarantine that follows their last guests’ departure. Accustomed to the flow of a bustling workday, and the engagement with a full house of guests, most of the staff, having grown listless and lonely, dote on the couple ceaselessly. Their “room boy” checks on them five times a day. The dining crew made them an elaborate candlelit dinner on the beach. Every night performers still put on a show for them in the resort’s restaurant: Two lone audience members in a grand dining hall.

At breakfast, nine waiters loiter by their table. Hostesses, bussers and assorted chefs circulate conspicuously, like commoners near a celebrity. The couple has a designated server, but others still come by to chat during meals, topping off water glasses after each sip, offering drinks even though brimming cocktail glasses stand in full view, perspiring. The diving instructor pleads with them to go snorkeling whenever they pass him by.

Update: On Sunday, April 5, according to the couple, they were given an hour’s notice by the embassy, communicating via WhatsApp, to pack their bags. After saying their goodbyes and thank-yous, they were taken by speedboat to another five-star resort, where South Africans in the Maldives, about two dozen in all, are being consolidated. The local government told them it would subsidize a large portion of the cost of their stay.
Their return date home? Still unknown.
As for their original hotel’s staff, they have been told they must remain for two weeks after the guest’s departure. According to the hotel management, they have been, and are still being, paid.

oakImage-1585849827889-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

15 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

So healthcare workers and scientists can move around.

What is the Automobile, Alex?

Zero chance those flights are just limited to healthcare personnel.

Edited by Iceman

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Those absurd and moronic numbers are brought to you by the guy who was predicting governor Wendy Davis in 2014. She only lost by 18 points. 

He might be smart but he’s a dope when it comes o making predictions. 

Well, let me check my notes ... yeah, I predicted Alabama would be gargling balls ahead of the last time they won the title. I also said that Sam Ehlinger would never be a winner at the college level the day we lost the second time to Maryland. I was shitfaced when I wrote it, but fuck it, this thing is still wide open. I just don’t see the math in RayDog’s tranny neighbor’s favor here. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe you are right and reports of people not isolating and not wearing masks is exaggerated.  I don't live there so I don't  have first hand knowledge of anywhere in the US. Based on what I do read I expect the first wave in the US to reach 100 million cases, and the real case fatality rate to take place, whatever it is. I used 0.5% because  it falls in the middle of the expected range.

4 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Maybe you are right and reports of people not isolating and not wearing masks is exaggerated.  I don't live there so I don't  have first hand knowledge of anywhere in the US. Based on what I do read I expect the first wave in the US to reach 100 million cases, and the real case fatality rate to take place, whatever it is. I used 0.5% because  it falls in the middle of the expected range.

1/3 of our population?  LOlz.

I guess I don't understand supposedly smart people who can't understand the difference between some stupid church still meeting up in Fucksville Bumfuck or some teens hanging in a park vs the normal social squashing that goes on when the world is really functioning as it normally does.  Mass transit, concerts, sporting events, full blown church everywhere,school, and on and on and on. 

Sure it's dumb and sure it might spark a fire here and there but the cord of wood that everyday life in the US brings to the table has been bulldozed and it ain't all lighting off at the moment.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away