Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s pretty simple, I’m constantly taking the under. The “messed up” part, if you weren’t a biased bitch, is the people regularly showing up to proclaim massive death numbers without accounting for any mitigation.

And you're not accounting for the fact that so far pretty much everyone who has needed a ventilator has gotten one.  And that is about to no longer be the case in many places.

And wanting to bet on this is about seven levels beyond fucked up.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

And you're not accounting for the fact that so far, pretty much everyone who has needed a ventilator has gotten one.  And that is about to change, dramatically.

And wanting to bet on this is about seven levels beyond fucked up.

No, that isn’t about to change, dramatically. 

I’ll take your attempted post-shaming with the grain of salt it deserves. You fucking walked in here and declared massive death totals within a week of 3/26 and, when called on it, acted like a fucking eunuch and bailed for another “next few days” until your triumphant return this morning. 

How many deaths do you wish to cast on us by early next week, valiant herald of Surly? Looks like you’re getting pretty exited about a whole bunch with your latest prediction on ventilators. Maybe bravely go to 6 figures this time?

I’m a guy calling bullshit. You’re the other guy. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, hookem2010 said:
1 hour ago, Fat Bastard said:
From what I’ve been able to gather, he’s not an MD but likely a CRNA. At my hospital, and most good hospitals, they’re not allowed to intubate. They only manage the vent once the patient is intubated by the attending anesthesiologist. Now, if he works at some shitty ass community hospital, all bets are off. 

I'm a PA and have worked in the OR at multiple hospitals in large cities. Wife is also in CRNA school. At every place I have worked at, the CRNAs do the majority of intubations for the cases they are running. Depending on the facility, the MD may or may not be in the room during induction and intubation, but even when they are there, the CRNA does the intubation 90+% of the time. I would not say most good hospitals have MD-only intubations, based on my experience in many DFW and Houston-area hospitals.

In the hospitals I have always worked at (re: teaching hospitals), it has been the attending anesthesiologist or the anesthesia resident who does the intubation. Not saying a CRNA can’t do it. Shit, we used to do them (under supervision) as medical students. Fuck, even ED docs do them. If they can do them, anyone can do them. But, CRNA’s are not MD’s, no matter how badly they want you to think they are.  Good income tho. 

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

So if I need to go to the HEB to pick up something will people scream at me if I don't wear a mask? I have one painter's mask and I was saving it in case I or a family member got sick to prevent spread while SiP or to travel to the hospital if necessary. Have only been out once a week to grocery in last month. Would like to do the right thing, but I don't have access to more masks right now. Husband says, just go and maintain distance. Thoughts?

Wear a mask Mrs. Wiggins why take chances . I was just in Lowe's and maybe 10% of the people had masks and very few of the employees, they're asking for trouble 

47 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Yes that’s a different situation entirely and fairly common.

Full disclosure, I have pivoted to everything being done by CV-Anesthesia since residency ended as that is my focus, so what goes on in the general OR nowadays, I don’t know. But when I was rotating through general, it was still anesthesia with residents. Again, always at large teaching hospitals. 

• Like 1

Went to 99 Ranch in Plano yesterday.  Almost everyone had masks on.  Went to Whole Foods today to get some stuff I forgot.... maybe 15-20% of people wearing masks.  Definitely a cultural thing.  Everyone should be wearing a mask or covering themselves.  

• Like 1

Just now, victory88 said:

Went to 99 Ranch in Plano yesterday.  Almost everyone had masks on.  Went to Whole Foods today to get some stuff I forgot.... maybe 15-20% of people wearing masks.  Definitely a cultural thing.  Everyone should be wearing a mask or covering themselves.  

For those of us not familiar with Plano, I'm curious as to what cultural influences you're referencing, for each of the two locations?

11 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Three days ago? 

You can’t even count correctly. This is pretty simple. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Discussions at the same time each day equals four fucking discussions over four days. Being willfully ignorant probably serves you well somewhere in life, but here it is pure banality. 

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I was just in Lowe's and maybe 10% of the people had masks and very few of the employees, they're asking for trouble 

I had to make a stop in there  yesterday. Wore my mask. The only other people I saw wearing them were some employees. A well heeled looking couple in their 60’s passed me, and the woman sort of snickered.  I was taken aback in the moment, and was walking briskly so was probably 30’ away before it sank in, but good luck with that, bitch.  You are the demo this shit is killing.  Anyhow, I bet there was 1000 people in that store, with 50 wearing masks. I grabbed my 2x6’s and gtfo with pretty much only seeing that bitchy couple. Going into the garden side would be crazy. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yes, but FaceBook Karen told me to panic.

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, and the City of Austin has formally adopted the CDC guidelines and recommended that everyone wear a mask when out among other people.  So, it's not just Facebook Karen.

There’s literally no reason to not wear a mask or some other sort of face coverage. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

A well heeled looking couple in their 60’s passed me, and the woman sort of snickered.  I was taken aback in the moment, and was walking briskly so was probably 30’ away before it sank in, but good luck with that, bitch. 

"Oh, this mask isn't for the coronavirus. Its for your BO, lady."

19 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

In the hospitals I have always worked at (re: teaching hospitals), it has been the attending anesthesiologist or the anesthesia resident who does the intubation. Not saying a CRNA can’t do it. Shit, we used to do them (under supervision) as medical students. Fuck, even ED docs do them. If they can do them, anyone can do them. But, CRNA’s are not MD’s, no matter how badly they want you to think they are.  Good income tho. 

Sure training MDs will get dibs on doing CV cases at training facilities. But out in real world crnas do plenty of intubating while MD signs paperwork and jokes around. 

Yes they make a good income for a pretty straightforward 40 hr/week job 

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You can’t even count correctly. This is pretty simple. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Discussions at the same time each day equals four fucking discussions over four days. Being willfully ignorant probably serves you well somewhere in life, but here it is pure banality. 

I preferred the discussions two days ago. You know, yesterday.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Days are 24 hours. 

Friday morning to Saturday morning = 24 hours, + Saturday morning to Sunday morning = 48 hours, + Sunday morning to Monday morning = 72 hours. 3 days. If you've managed to fit 96 hours in that time period, the rest of must be moving at relativistic speeds.  

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Put me on the side that says Friday was 3 days ago. 
Sunday was yesterday. One day ago. 
Saturday 2 days ago. 
Friday 3 days ago. 

Glad we could clear that up. 
 Since you’re into wagers, I bet that the majority of people would say Friday is 3 days ago. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

For those of us not familiar with Plano, I'm curious as to what cultural influences you're referencing, for each of the two locations?

Sorry, I don't think I typed out my thought clearly.  Wife and I were discussing how Asian countries are used to wearing masks when they get sick and how that has helped flatten the curve in many SE Asian countries.  99 Ranch is an Asian grocery store we went to as we've found them to be fully stocked with everything.  Almost all the customers and employees were wearing masks and gloves.  In comparison, I live in uptown Dallas near the Whole Foods.  When I go in there, I see very few people in a more "American" (not saying white, but people that were born and raised here) demographic wearing masks.  I was just making an observation and stating that this needs to change and we need everyone to be wearing masks if we all want to be out and about without spreading this.   

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Days are 24 hours. 

Friday morning to Saturday morning = 24 hours, + Saturday morning to Sunday morning = 48 hours, + Sunday morning to Monday morning = 72 hours. 3 days. If you've managed to fit 96 hours in that time period, the rest of must be moving at relativistic speeds.  

so you are good with numbers!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Put me on the side that says Friday was 3 days ago. 
Sunday was yesterday. One day ago. 
Saturday 2 days ago. 
Friday 3 days ago. 

Glad we could clear that up. 
 Since you’re into wagers, I bet that the majority of people would say Friday is 3 days ago. 

These are literally the arguments I have with my kids when we’re all bored as hell. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

These are literally the arguments I have with my kids when we’re all bored as hell. 

I take it as a good sign, for everyone, when dahobbs is more interested in day counting(military or calendar, I don't care) vs. apocalyptic death scenarios.  this thread getting boring would be nice.

• Like 5

Just now, dcar00 said:

I take it as a good sign, for everyone, when dahobbs is more interested in day counting(military or calendar, I don't care) vs. apocalyptic death scenarios.  this thread getting boring would be nice.

Personally, I'm just excited that we may all agree on something (well, except for CTJ of course). 

Just now, Hawndoh said:

I'm amazed at just how incapable adults are at communicating without being complete dicks.

Some of you guys sound like you lead miserable lives, particularly if you talk to family and co-workers the way you talk on here.

Fuck you.

obligatory

1 minute ago, Hawndoh said:

I'm amazed at just how incapable adults are at communicating without being complete dicks.

Some of you guys sound like you lead miserable lives, particularly if you talk to family and co-workers the way you talk on here.

welcome to the surl?

The fact that Michigan keeps hitting above .400 daily on successful tests leads me to think that community transmission has been a thing for a lot longer than mid-March. 

In case you have forgotten what leadership looks like (many in this country have), here is Tim Walz's State of the State address from last night. 

1 minute ago, Hawndoh said:

Oh yeah! Well...you talk like a fheg, and your shit's all retarded!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

My apologies, you must be new here.  Hi I'm Moby Ric, now kindly fuck off.  

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

So if I need to go to the HEB to pick up something will people scream at me if I don't wear a mask? I have one painter's mask and I was saving it in case I or a family member got sick to prevent spread while SiP or to travel to the hospital if necessary. Have only been out once a week to grocery in last month. Would like to do the right thing, but I don't have access to more masks right now. Husband says, just go and maintain distance. Thoughts?

Why not put a scarf, handkerchief or bandanna across your mouth and nose.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

When you say "guys like you", what exactly are you referring to? I don't remember ever making a prediction of "holocaust death tolls" or anything resembling that. You are certainly welcome to go through my post history and point out where that happened. Let me know what you find.

Also curious about the "selfish twat" part. What have I said in any COVID-related thread that makes me a selfish twat? Or is that just a generic insult that popped up on your magic 8 ball?

Your schtick is tired. You seem incapable of posting in this thread without making personal attacks against people. When you run out of legitimate problems to attack people for, you start claiming people said things they didn't to create internet bad guys that don't exist, just so you can have someone to go on a crusade against.

What are you trying to gain from all of this? A lot of us come here to share information but you seem intent on spreading misery to everyone around you.

You haven't shared a lick of information unless I missed some random anecdote. I actually post information when I'm not responding to virtue shaming or vernacular pedantics. I'm also willing to hold the predictions accountable. And if I'm wrong? Oh, OH!, the climbing over one another to tell me about it and point to all of the dead bodies that will occur from guys like you. So you should rejoice in the opportunity you've been handed here.

CTJ, many of your posts on the recruiting thread are highly appreciated because you pass along some nice insider content. But with all due respect, you’ve been a fucking asshole on this thread for awhile. Can you please be a little more civil? We have enough tough things going on right now without you constantly attacking people. Remember, I did say “with all due respect.”

e93fbe5d269bbd71f6298df67fbd3a11.jpg

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Seems a little extreme to be intubated for erectile dysfunction, but OK.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I hope that Sunday was a good sign with case and fatality drops but I'm skeptical. And even if NYC is dropping, it doesn't mean the drop is uniform across the board. NYC's large numbers pull the national trends so it seems wrong to get overly positive yet.  Same in the opposite direction.

Not to mention that if people start to hear a message that we're seeing the end of the tunnel, their behavior may change too soon. We still have people in many locations that STILL think this has been overhyped.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away