Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

I'm sure it's somewhere on these 614 pages, but I can't find it, so sorry for being behind...

My father is 98 years old, yes 98, not a typo. He has pulmonary fibrosis. He has a pacemaker. He has hypertension. If he gets corona and dies will the cause of death be listed as corona? Just wondering about how the statistics divide out preexisting conditions vis-a-vis corona. 

Without a doubt....CDC gotta keep the numbers up.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/coronavirus/Alert-2-New-ICD-code-introduced-for-COVID-19-deaths.pdf

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We had discussed what hospitals/cities/states/countries were defining as "pre-existing condition" and the general lack of understanding what is and isn't being considered when that is stated. Well, NYC is using the following to define it: "Underlying illnesses include Diabetes, Lung Disease, Cancer, Immunodeficiency, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Asthma, Kidney Disease, and GI/Liver Disease."

Note that obesity, smoking, drinking, drug addiction, etc., are not a factor when they say that someone died as a result of covid + an underlying medical condition. ..

In general, obesity, smoking, drinking drug addiction are causal factors for the listed underlying illnesses.

I posted this in another thread, but maybe germane here too:

The problem with making informed decisions about coronavirus is that we don’t have a whole lot of data on it at the moment.

The data that we do have, meanwhile, could end up being terminally skewed, particularly the data that’s been coming out of China.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidance on determining COVID-19 as a cause of death isn’t going to help those numbers.

Issued March 24, the guidance tells hospitals to list COVID-19 as a cause of death regardless of whether or not there’s actual testing to confirm that’s the case.

Instead, even if the coronavirus was just a contributing factor or if it’s “assumed to have caused or contributed to death,” it can be listed as the primary cause.

The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, or ICD, has established the code U07.1 for death by coronavirus infection. There’s a secondary code, U07.2, “for clinical or epidemiological diagnosis of COVID-19 where a laboratory confirmation is inconclusive or not available,” according to the CDC guidance.

“Because laboratory test results are not typically reported on death certificates in the U.S., NCHS is not planning to implement U07.2 for mortality statistics.”

Therein lies the problem.

“The underlying cause depends upon what and where conditions are reported on the death certificate. However, the rules for coding and selection of the underlying cause of death are expected to result in COVID- 19 being the underlying cause more often than not,” the guidelines read.

“COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death. ...

https://www.westernjournal.com/cdc-tells-hospitals-list-covid-cause-death-even-just-assuming-contributed/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

...  My father is 98 years old, yes 98, not a typo. He has pulmonary fibrosis. He has a pacemaker. He has hypertension. If he gets corona and dies will the cause of death be listed as corona? ...

Most likely (see my previous post)

24 minutes ago, achooloco said:

He also wishes the death of other posters but apparently that won't get you banned anymore.

Huh? You should quote me with that, then. The last time I saw death wished on a poster was when jimmyjazz did that last Wednesday evening, at me and my family.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I was amazed at how few employees had them on.    I didn't even go down aisles that had more than 2 people.  I had to go back to a couple aisles 2x before they were clear. Hot zone coming to your local big box hardware stores.....

For many, getting Covid is a better alternative than working with the public.

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

And you're not accounting for the fact that so far pretty much everyone who has needed a ventilator has gotten one.  And that is about to no longer be the case in many places.

And wanting to bet on this is about seven levels beyond fucked up.

TexArcher has set the over/under at SEVEN levels beyond fucked up.  How many levels you got?  Get your bets in now!

42 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

It's all in the wording, man. Christ didn't rise (allegedly) 3 days later; he rose on the 3rd day.

Had you said, "This is the 4th day that the article has been available" then you would have been accurate. But you said that it was released "4 days ago" which is Thursday, not Friday.

Glad I could clear this up for you.

I used to know what “this week” and “next week” were. And then I married my wife, and she had a different definition for it (it was wrong, I might add). But it has been so many years, I have become so extremely fucking confused that I can’t have a conversation with anyone anymore about time unless we use actual dates and hours.

For instance, next Thursday - does that mean Thursday that is 3 days from now (or is it 4 days?) or does it mean it mean 10 (11?) days from now?  What is this Thursday?  The Thursday after next?  If it is Thursday and you say next weekend, what weekend how many days out are we talking?  

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Sis in Law just got back from her second trip to China flying freight since this shit started. This was written by a coworker:

“Let me say at this point that our treatment in Europe was quite different from the treatment of my coworkers in Asia, particularly those choosing (yes, it’s optional) to fly through China. Our normally nice hotels have been replaced in China with government-commandeered travelers hotels that have probably never seen a western guest. In other places we stay in hotels that are internal to the airport, transit hotels, where you don’t clear customs and theoretically don’t enter the country.

In a couple of places, Shenzhen and Dubai for example, they have instituted nasal swabbing tests which have been described as a footlong Q-tip inserted in your nasal passage until it reaches your brain. It’s brought grown men to tears and crews are now standing up to the treatment, refusing to take the test and being put on the next plane out of town, although reportedly they have been threatened with having their passports confiscated, visas canceled, and criminal action against them in China. We have crews flying in and out of China twice a day and they will be subjected to these tests each time, even if they are just passing through. You really have no assurance over the training of the person administering the test. I don’t blame people that just say no.”

https://www.avweb.com/insider/flying-freight-in-the-corona-crisis/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Ths71 said:

Sis in Law just got back from her second trip to China flying freight since this shit started. This was written by a coworker:

“Let me say at this point that our treatment in Europe was quite different from the treatment of my coworkers in Asia, particularly those choosing (yes, it’s optional) to fly through China. Our normally nice hotels have been replaced in China with government-commandeered travelers hotels that have probably never seen a western guest. In other places we stay in hotels that are internal to the airport, transit hotels, where you don’t clear customs and theoretically don’t enter the country.

In a couple of places, Shenzhen and Dubai for example, they have instituted nasal swabbing tests which have been described as a footlong Q-tip inserted in your nasal passage until it reaches your brain. It’s brought grown men to tears and crews are now standing up to the treatment, refusing to take the test and being put on the next plane out of town, although reportedly they have been threatened with having their passports confiscated, visas canceled, and criminal action against them in China. We have crews flying in and out of China twice a day and they will be subjected to these tests each time, even if they are just passing through. You really have no assurance over the training of the person administering the test. I don’t blame people that just say no.”

https://www.avweb.com/insider/flying-freight-in-the-corona-crisis/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now what kind of tears were these?  Tears of joy, or Tears for fears?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Guys, let's use this time of year to come together on this subject. Christ was crucified on a Friday. He rose from the dead three days later, on what we now recognize as Easter Sunday. Three calendar days later. Monday after that would be four calendar days. He walked the earth and spoke to Mary Mathews or some shit and then to a bunch of guys that worshipped him on the fourth day. Then he wrote the bible. Are you telling me that being Christlike is wrong on my part here? 

Let’s come back in 3 days to discuss it further. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You're "calling bullshit" by declaring a lower death total than what the entire medical community has forecast.  Look, I hope you're right and they're wrong.  But there's no reason to be a gigantic fucking prick about it while we wait to find out.  You're acting as if people are being alarmists because they're believing medical professionals.  And you actually want to bet on it.

Even if it turns out that you were right and just about everyone else was wrong about the death totals, you've proven yourself to be an amazing cocksucker along the way.  So congrats.

Meh. You have been wrong the whole way through on this, and you weren't basing shit off of actual medical information. You looked at something, and then you repeated it for days/weeks as fact. When that was shown to be flatly wrong, because you know, the real world isn't a fucking spreadsheet and people made massive adjustments to avoid early projections, you fell back on the "it's science!" side of things, as though data "science" and chaos theory aren't also a part of the scientific world. And now I'm a big meanie because you attempted to make new claims, had your old claims thrown in your face, and you think you've got the better handle of how all of this crazy science works. 

1) Why don't you lay out how we're about to get blown up on death toll because "we're going to run out of ventilators". You showed up, declared it, got called on it, and attempted to bat it aside in this last post. Go ahead and defend your position or admit that you're simply parroting shit you heard/read a week or two ago. 

2) What we're witnessing at a macro level is actually deployment of the scientific method. You guys shouldn't get so whiny about it when it is deployed and works out in all of our favor. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meh. You have been wrong the whole way through on this, and you weren't basing shit off of actual medical information. You looked at something, and then you repeated it for days/weeks as fact. When that was shown to be flatly wrong, because you know, the real world isn't a fucking spreadsheet and people made massive adjustments to avoid early projections, you fell back on the "it's science!" side of things, as though data "science" and chaos theory aren't also a part of the scientific world. And now I'm a big meanie because you attempted to make new claims, had your old claims thrown in your face, and you think you've got the better handle of how all of this crazy science works. 

1) Why don't you lay out how we're about to get blown up on death toll because "we're going to run out of ventilators". You showed up, declared it, got called on it, and attempted to bat it aside in this last post. Go ahead and defend your position or admit that you're simply parroting shit you heard/read a week or two ago. 

2) What we're witnessing at a macro level is actually deployment of the scientific method. You guys shouldn't get so whiny about it when it is deployed and works out in all of our favor. 

We're now in the tens of thousands of dead in America alone, and you want to claim victory because it took 10 days and "that's more than several days, Archer, you idiot."  Mkay.

Everyone in the medical community is telling us to brace for a couple of very bad weeks.  Places like NYC are warning that they could be out ventilators by today.  And you don't give a shit.  You have an agenda, for whatever reason, to minimize this and to credit America's response to this.  Only a fool could possibly believe such a thing.  We had more warning than Italy and Spain and we're going to pass them in deaths, by a lot.  And you don't give a shit.  And that's your right, but I'm done talking to you.  Your entire demeanor on here makes me sick.

• Like 4

Louisiana numbers are out for the day. Cases are way up day over day while deaths are less than half of what they were yesterday. We can say it's Sunday-related, but this has been ongoing with Louisiana for a few weeks. They have lumpy reporting and it's probably due to some places not reporting everything on a daily basis, but rather every few days. That's on brand for the state and looks like what is happening. If you take the two day totals and divide them in half, Louisiana looks kind of like it's plateauing right now, but who the fuck knows. 

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? You should quote me with that, then. The last time I saw death wished on a poster was when jimmyjazz did that last Wednesday evening, at me and my family.

His was as much about your family as you were saying about two posters killing themselves while one ripped the other’s throat out. Or how you said posters predicted EVERYONE was going to die. Point being all three are bullshit claims but if you are using hyperbole against other poster’s claims, then everyone else can say it about your claims.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

We're now in the tens of thousands of dead in America alone, and you want to claim victory because it took 10 days and "that's more than several days, Archer, you idiot."  Mkay.

Everyone in the medical community is telling us to brace for a couple of very bad weeks.  Places like NYC are warning that they could be out ventilators by today.  And you don't give a shit.  You have an agenda, for whatever reason, to minimize this and to credit America's response to this.  Only a fool could possibly believe such a thing.  We had more warning than Italy and Spain and we're going to pass them in deaths, by a lot.  And you don't give a shit.  And that's your right, but I'm done talking to you.  Your entire demeanor on here makes me sick.

In your ‘few’ days post you also claimed 100,000 in two weeks. It was unsupported bullshit and you got called on it and subsequently proven wrong. Get over it. Less people are dead. Be happy. 

• Like 3

How can you possibly compare Italy and Spain to the US? Also, how can you argue we had advanced warning when it’s pretty much a given that the virus was here weeks earlier than has been reported.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Louisiana numbers are out for the day. Cases are way up day over day while deaths are less than half of what they were yesterday. We can say it's Sunday-related, but this has been ongoing with Louisiana for a few weeks. They have lumpy reporting and it's probably due to some places not reporting everything on a daily basis, but rather every few days. That's on brand for the state and looks like what is happening. If you take the two day totals and divide them in half, Louisiana looks kind of like it's plateauing right now, but who the fuck knows. 

I think the biggest problem with case count in a lot of places (I know in Texas) is that you have some locations (hospitals?) getting relatively rapid responses but most from Dr.'s offices and testing centers have a long lag time for results.  Kind of like the person that posted last week someone they knew that finally got a confirmed positive 14 days after the test when they were over it.  So yeah, how much of it is places not reporting daily vs. a bunch of tests from 10 days ago finally getting processed?  Who knows.  But I don't think much we can glean from it. That's why in Dallas at least I'm really only paying attention to the hospitalization numbers.

America’s major medical society specializing in the treatment of respiratory diseases has endorsed using hydroxychloroquine for seriously ill hospitalized coronavirus patients.

The American Thoracic Society issued guidelines Monday that suggest COVID-19 patients with pneumonia get doses of the anti-malaria drug.

“To prescribe hydroxychloroquine (or chloroquine) to hospitalized patients with COVID-19 pneumonia if all of the following apply: a) shared decision-making is possible, b) data can be collected for interim comparisons of patients who received hydroxychloroquine (or chloroquine) versus those who did not, c) the illness is sufficiently severe to warrant investigational therapy, and d) the drug is not in short supply,” the Thoracic Society said.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/medical-group-backs-giving-hydroxychloroquine-to-coronavirus-patients/

Just now, TexArcher said:

You're projecting an agenda on me, and it's incorrect. I don't think the US has kicked ass with this and have never said as much. I also don't think the US has totally fucked it up, which is clearly the way an entire faction on this board wants to frame it. "Europe is so much better!", We need to test and monitor every person like South Korea/Singapore!", "how many hundreds of thousands of people need to die before the government does something!" Right.

My agenda is pretty clear here. Let's talk about facts and keep our shit together. When someone comes on here with political bullshit ,or massive numbers without considering mitigation and what's actually happening, or takes an anecdote and then smears that across the population, or posts old shit that is no longer relevant, it's a problem. Sorry if that doesn't work for you or if you wish I was nicer. Attempting to bucket me into wishcasting is your false narrative to tell if it suits you, but that's it.

As to your prior posts, dude, you projected 5 figures in a few days, then claimed that was some greater number than typical vernacular. I think you also earmarked "6 figures" by some time around April 10th. Wrong again. 

Also, we're not in the "tens of thousands" of deaths. That's actually wishcasting and attempting to spin to suit your narrative. There are 10,366 counted deaths in the US as of right now. You know what's fucked up? Trying to turn that number in a multiple of what it is to suit your own bullshit. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I think the biggest problem with case count in a lot of places (I know in Texas) is that you have some locations (hospitals?) getting relatively rapid responses but most from Dr.'s offices and testing centers have a long lag time for results.  Kind of like the person that posted last week someone they knew that finally got a confirmed positive 14 days after the test when they were over it.  So yeah, how much of it is places not reporting daily vs. a bunch of tests from 10 days ago finally getting processed?  Who knows.  But I don't think much we can glean from it. That's why in Dallas at least I'm really only paying attention to the hospitalization numbers.

Not to mention A LOT of people are being told to just stay at home and assume they have it since tests are rationed. Case count is way too low but that means cfr should be better so you win some, you lose some. 

14 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

In your ‘few’ days post you also claimed 100,000 in two weeks. It was unsupported bullshit and you got called on it and subsequently proven wrong. Get over it. Less people are dead. Be happy. 

Straw man alert!  I said no such thing, ctj.  And I'm done talking to all of your socks, you disgraceful shit.

I mean, this account hadn't posted in 48 hours, yet here you are minutes after I called out ctj for being your puppeteer...

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away