Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

33 minutes ago, Ths71 said:

Sis in Law just got back from her second trip to China flying freight since this shit started. This was written by a coworker:

“Let me say at this point that our treatment in Europe was quite different from the treatment of my coworkers in Asia, particularly those choosing (yes, it’s optional) to fly through China. Our normally nice hotels have been replaced in China with government-commandeered travelers hotels that have probably never seen a western guest. In other places we stay in hotels that are internal to the airport, transit hotels, where you don’t clear customs and theoretically don’t enter the country.

In a couple of places, Shenzhen and Dubai for example, they have instituted nasal swabbing tests which have been described as a footlong Q-tip inserted in your nasal passage until it reaches your brain. It’s brought grown men to tears and crews are now standing up to the treatment, refusing to take the test and being put on the next plane out of town, although reportedly they have been threatened with having their passports confiscated, visas canceled, and criminal action against them in China. We have crews flying in and out of China twice a day and they will be subjected to these tests each time, even if they are just passing through. You really have no assurance over the training of the person administering the test. I don’t blame people that just say no.”

https://www.avweb.com/insider/flying-freight-in-the-corona-crisis/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i keep seeing these info about the swabs being terrible but they are the same length as a rapid flu test as far as i know? 

so if you have gone to an urgent care center in the last few years that is what they do?

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I think the biggest problem with case count in a lot of places (I know in Texas) is that you have some locations (hospitals?) getting relatively rapid responses but most from Dr.'s offices and testing centers have a long lag time for results.  Kind of like the person that posted last week someone they knew that finally got a confirmed positive 14 days after the test when they were over it.  So yeah, how much of it is places not reporting daily vs. a bunch of tests from 10 days ago finally getting processed?  Who knows.  But I don't think much we can glean from it. That's why in Dallas at least I'm really only paying attention to the hospitalization numbers.

I base some of my thinking on this site: https://covidtracking.com/data/ because they track pending tests as well. Nothing's perfect right now, for sure, but they roll the numbers over daily and are pretty consistent. 

• Like 1

I'd like to believe the reports that we're making progress.  So this question assumes we are. 

Exactly how does "the end" of this thing happen? If social distancing works, once we all stop doing it won't we just start this whole thing over?  What (other than a cure, vaccine, etc.) would make that not happen in perpetuity? 

If this has been discussed I missed it.

Oh, and a tiger at Bronx Zoo got it.

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? You should quote me with that, then. The last time I saw death wished on a poster was when jimmyjazz did that last Wednesday evening, at me and my family.

I don't know about death, but I asked Sydney to gently tap your right knee with a 21-inch collapsible baton.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Straw man alert!  I said no such thing, ctj.  And I'm done talking to all of your socks, you disgraceful shit.

I am fine with you asking the admin if I have any socks. I assume they could tell you pretty quickly, and they'd be able to confirm that I don't have any. They could post the results right here. 

I'm closetojumping. I don't need socks to handle the discussion. That someone else disagrees with your silliness does not make them a version of me, aligned with me, or anything other than someone else who sees your bullshit for what it was/is. It's always the loser move on these boards to whine about someone who disagrees with you having socks. It's been a go-to squeal for decades. 

The truth is, you have been full of shit with every post you've made here and you are mad that has been laid bare. "Tens of thousands" repeated right here today by you. Fuck off with that bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I'd like to believe the reports that we're making progress.  So this question assumes we are. 

Exactly how does "the end" of this thing happen? If social distancing works, once we all stop doing it won't we just start this whole thing over?  What (other than a cure, vaccine, etc.) would make that not happen in perpetuity? 

It’ll happen in phases in different timelines in different places. If we really are peaking more like mid April here in Texas, I think Abbott will let the statewide order expire on April 30th. Will kids go back to school on May 4th? I think that’s less likely. What’s the point? 

Between now and the fall, lot of research on why it was worse in some places than others and on treatments. Have widespread serology testing by fall  so people with presumed immunity can go about their business while still practicing precautions. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am fine with you asking the admin if I have any socks. I assume they could tell you pretty quickly, and they'd be able to confirm that I don't have any. They could post the results right here. 

I'm closetojumping. I don't need socks to handle the discussion. That someone else disagrees with your silliness does not make them a version of me, aligned with me, or anything other than someone else who sees your bullshit for what it was/is. It's always the loser move on these boards to whine about someone who disagrees with you having socks. It's been a go-to squeal for decades. 

The truth is, you have been full of shit with every post you've made here and you are mad that has been laid bare. "Tens of thousands" repeated right here today by you. Fuck off with that bullshit.

Socks:DT::Russian Bots:CR

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Only 43 new cases reported today in Dallas County.

I wish they would tell us how many processed tests the number is based on and how many are pending, but certainly not bad news.  No deaths in 2 days as well.   The Tues and Fri hospitalization numbers this week should tell us a lot.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

America’s major medical society specializing in the treatment of respiratory diseases has endorsed using hydroxychloroquine for seriously ill hospitalized coronavirus patients.

The American Thoracic Society issued guidelines Monday that suggest COVID-19 patients with pneumonia get doses of the anti-malaria drug.

“To prescribe hydroxychloroquine (or chloroquine) to hospitalized patients with COVID-19 pneumonia if all of the following apply: a) shared decision-making is possible, b) data can be collected for interim comparisons of patients who received hydroxychloroquine (or chloroquine) versus those who did not, c) the illness is sufficiently severe to warrant investigational therapy, and d) the drug is not in short supply,” the Thoracic Society said.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/medical-group-backs-giving-hydroxychloroquine-to-coronavirus-patients/

This is interesting.  Note that the recommendation is specifically predicated on collecting the information for analysis of its effectiveness.  Not sure that I can think of a recommendation formulated in that way before. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I wish they would tell us how many processed tests the number is based on and how many are pending, but certainly not bad news.  No deaths in 2 days as well.   The Tues and Fri hospitalization numbers this week should tell us a lot.   

Well now I see Judge Jenkins said part of the reason only 43 reported is that a number of state labs are closed on Sunday.   Which begs the question, seriously, during a pandemic with a known backlog of tests, we can't manage to keep labs open on a Sunday?  SMH

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

From the hypotheticals thread, this is the best plan that I've seen thus far.  From the American Enterprise Institute:

https://www.aei.org/research-products/report/national-coronavirus-response-a-road-map-to-reopening/

A basic summation:

The first phase—which the U.S. is currently in—involves slowing the spread of new infections with physical distancing measures, such as closing schools and having people work from home. In the second step, individual states can reopen when they have the capacity to identify, test and isolate most people with COVID-19 and their close contacts—but some distancing will still be required*. In the third, remaining restrictions can be lifted when an effective therapy or vaccine becomes available or when data show widespread immunity. The final stage, after the current pandemic is over, will be to invest heavily in research and health care to prepare for the next one.

I have to imagine that our leaders are already discussing something similar.  It's probably going to be state-by-state.  It's going to take a decent amount of government cooperation and honest state assessments, so there are pitfalls obviously.

*I would guess that this means there will still be crowd restrictions, and 100,000 person sporting events are going to be off-limits for some time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't quite understand why people are posting numbers that we're somehow over the top of this problem.  35 states or US territories posted their worst day of new cases either Fri, Sat or Sun.  I don't see how we won't see more hospitalizations in the upcoming week or so.

We will.

28 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Straw man alert!  I said no such thing, ctj.  And I'm done talking to all of your socks, you disgraceful shit.

I mean, this account hadn't posted in 48 hours, yet here you are minutes after I called out ctj for being your puppeteer...

But the death toll in America will absolutely hit five figures in the next few days.  It may hit six figures in the next few weeks.  It's not unthinkable that it hits seven figures before we get a vaccine.

I forgot that you count few as 9 or 10. So yes. You’re right 🙄

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

us deaths topped 10,000 this morning

first person should receive the potential vaccine today, trials in Philly and Kansas City, Mo.

Allstate is set to refund premiums, $600 million, with the decrease in driving of its customers. Their study shows a decrease of between 35 and 50 percent in most states.

Edited by pacman
Nm

Full Minnesota numbers are released daily at 11AM, and can be found at health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html

Maybe things are working around here, in that the number of confirmed cases has consistently been between 50 and 75 daily since March 26, with no exponential surge. Recoveries at about half of the positive cases. 

1 minute ago, shakahorn said:

I don't quite get the aversion to masks.  Cultural? I guess...but masks weren't widely used in Asia until SARS hit in the early 2000's.  Not like it's some kind of ancient Chinese secret.

Air pollution was another factor in China....

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

We're now in the tens of thousands of dead in America alone, and you want to claim victory because it took 10 days and "that's more than several days, Archer, you idiot."  Mkay.

<Larry David> Is ten thousand really in the “tens of thousands?”  Doesn’t the “s” imply there is more than one ten?  No disrespect to the ten thousand dead. Just seems like you’re trying to overstate the dead.....You’re pluralizing the bad news.  <Larry David>

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Full Minnesota numbers are released daily at 11AM, and can be found at health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html

Maybe things are working around here, in that the number of confirmed cases has consistently been between 50 and 75 daily since March 26, with no exponential surge. Recoveries at about half of the positive cases. 

You've been on here about Minnesota from the jump, saying that the governor has done a great job and such. It's proven itself out when watching things day over day. They easily have one of the most informative dashboards, too.

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Here's a recording from the ship

Can't believe that the SECNAV is using words like "betrayal" (IE - treason) that actually have repercussions per black letter UCMJ regs. Especially coming from the SECNAV. I wonder if they'll follow through with the accusation of treason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

https://abc7.com/coronavirus-drug-covid-19-malaria-hydroxychloroquine/6079864/

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Los Angeles doctor said he is seeing significant success in prescribing the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc to treat patients with severe symptoms of COVID-19.
[snip]
Hydroxychloroquine has been touted as a possible treatment for COVID-19 by President Trump among others, but it remains controversial as some experts believe it is unproven and may not be effective.

He said he has found it only works if combined with zinc. The drug, he said, opens a channel for the zinc to enter the cell and block virus replication.

One never knows if this is just lazy science ignorant journalism, or if he actually said this. Among all the mechanisms of action described for hydroxycholorquine from it's use in rheumatology, autoimmunity and infectious disease, 'opening a channel' ain't one of them. The fact that he thinks this illuminates the need for the (current ongoing) world-wide clinical trials. 

It’ll happen in phases in different timelines in different places. If we really are peaking more like mid April here in Texas, I think Abbott will let the statewide order expire on April 30th. Will kids go back to school on May 4th? I think that’s less likely. What’s the point? 

Between now and the fall, lot of research on why it was worse in some places than others and on treatments. Have widespread serology testing by fall  so people with presumed immunity can go about their business while still practicing precautions. 
I have to imagine that our leaders are already discussing something similar.  It's probably going to be state-by-state.  It's going to take a decent amount of government cooperation and honest state assessments, so there are pitfalls obviously.
*I would guess that this means there will still be crowd restrictions, and 100,000 person sporting events are going to be off-limits for some time.

No link because I'm on mobile right now but there's a piece on the NYT sure today by a well known epidemiologist/med school dean from Hong Kong essentially saying we should be locked down until we get our shit together - how long that is is probably too sensitive a discussion for this thread - and then going through a cycle of relaxing a bit and going back to more restrictive approaches as the virus makes its way through the population.

Particularly in a big country like the US that will never fully restrict freedom of movement, a two year game of whack-a-mole has always seemed pretty likely to me.

It’s pretty simple, I’m constantly taking the under. The “messed up” part, if you weren’t a biased bitch, is the people regularly showing up to proclaim massive death numbers without accounting for any mitigation. This isn’t early March, sorry. Guys like you then get all excited. I then make a fair offer far below their call for holocaust death tolls, and none of them take the trade and scamper off to share their bullshit somewhere else. Then guys like you show back up to whine that I took away the fantasy. It’s becomes an almost boring little game. Hold the right people accountable, you selfish twat. 

This has got to be a bit, right?
  • Like 9

To me, it is quite simple on hydroxycholorquine. It is possibly a resource for doctors to utilize.

However, it is not a proven resource such that we should be endorsing it to the general public, a group in such a frantic that the world is out of toilet paper.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

We're now in the tens of thousands of dead in America alone, and you want to claim victory because it took 10 days and "that's more than several days, Archer, you idiot."  Mkay.

Everyone in the medical community is telling us to brace for a couple of very bad weeks.  Places like NYC are warning that they could be out ventilators by today.  And you don't give a shit.  You have an agenda, for whatever reason, to minimize this and to credit America's response to this.  Only a fool could possibly believe such a thing.  We had more warning than Italy and Spain and we're going to pass them in deaths, by a lot.  And you don't give a shit.  And that's your right, but I'm done talking to you.  Your entire demeanor on here makes me sick.

We are not in the tens of thousands.  We just hit 10,000.  Tens implies multiples.  We aren't there, yet.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pacman said:

To me, it is quite simple on hydroxycholorquine. It is possibly a resource for doctors to utilize.

However, it is not a proven resource such that we should be endorsing it to the general public, a group in such a frantic that the world is out of toilet paper.

General public is so dumb, some idiots may just take a strong endorsement to mean they should go out of their way to source the "life saving" medicine from otherwise unusual sources

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

that its not a apocalyptic death scenario?  I think CTJ is on board with that.

I don't think we've ever been in an "apocalyptic death scenario," and that includes if were to let the disease run its course without any interference. There are nearly 20,000 incorporated towns, villages, and/or cities in the United States. Even if we reached 20,000 deaths per day, we'd still only be talking about 1 dead per each. But, that result would still be really bad, more bad in my opinion than the short-term economic pain we'll experience from our various shut downs.

COVID deaths, per capita by state for April 5th link. Low numbers likely 'noisy' due to low death counts.

Spoiler

EU4sbV6UcAAgKql?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Regional incidence, per capita :

East

Spoiler

EU4rJJtUUAAScTH?format=jpg&name=4096x409

South - DC coming on strong, hoping LA begins to flatten

Spoiler

EU4rJJ8UEAIOl6g?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Midwest

Spoiler

EU4rJJiUwAA-OZL?format=jpg&name=4096x409

West

Spoiler

EU4rJKNU8AALU3C?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

This has got to be a bit, right?

Ha, I don't think so.  I just realized that last Sunday he went back through all of my (limited) posts over a roughly two year period to neg them.  All in response to me negging several of his comments on this thread.  A little obsessive.

Edited by Doug E. Fresh
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I think the numbers (especially for the surgical mask) on some of these are off

Was posting it more to make fun of people wearing t shirts wrapped around their heads at HEB. It really doesn't do much other than you don't touch your face.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Ha, I don't think so.  I just realized that last Sunday he went back through all of my (limited) posts over a roughly two year period to neg them.  All in response to me negging several of his comments on this thread.  A little obsessive.

Yes, retalition, by some of the more insecure types, is a thing around here. 

I haf a second on the toilet to at least get you out of red. Imagine being so insecure to go back through a posters short history and negging every post, including one where the posted simply answers a question with, "In Houston"

Edited by pacman

26 minutes ago, pacman said:

Good thing they don't sell it at HEB then, isn't it?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away