Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

There's an interesting parallel with the treatment of the captain of CVN Teddy Roosevelt and Teddy's own actions in 1898 with his Round-Robin Letter

By July 28, 1898, malaria and yellow fever were rife among U.S. Army troops garrisoned near Santiago de Cuba on the island of Cuba. Fifth Corps, to which the Rough Riders was attached, had 4,270 men seriously ill (and dying), and corps commanders feared the unit could be wiped out if it stayed in Cuba.[1] The McKinley administration, however, planned to keep the corps in Cuba until peace negotiations with Spain concluded. Public opinion was also against bringing home an army infected with yellow fever.[2]

Several senior officers met with Major General William R. Shafter, commander of Fifth Corps, and unanimously asked that the corps be withdrawn to the United States.[2] It is unclear whether Shafter agreed and asked for this in writing, or whether Shafter disagreed and the corps commanders decided to put their request in writing. Colonel Theodore Roosevelt (commander of the First Volunteer US Cavalry Rough Riders), the only non-general officer of the group, was asked by the rest of the group to draft a round-robin letter outlining the problems with living conditions and disease to send to Army Headquarters in Washington, D.C. The letter would also be deliberately leaked to the press.[1]

As a volunteer, Roosevelt's career would not be at stake in the way a regular army officer's would be by the communication.[3] (Some sources say there is doubt that Roosevelt was the author,[4] while others say that Roosevelt was only the author of the abridged letter.[3]) Nine generals and Roosevelt signed the letter.[4] An abridged version was given to Shafter to present to the United States Secretary of War.[1] Shafter declined to do so, but did communicate with his superiors about what was happening.[4]

The letter was deliberately leaked to Associated Press correspondents at corps headquarters, who cabled it to the U.S., where it was published nationwide. Publication of the round-robin letter turned public opinion against the War Department.[4]

The McKinley administration was outraged by the leaking of the round-robin letter, but quickly realized that the public would blame the government. The administration acted swiftly to try to defuse the situation. On July 28, Secretary of War Russell A. Alger cabled Shafter and ordered Fifth Corps home to Camp Wikoff on Long Island, New York, for quarantine and mustering out. On August 3, the day before the letter appeared in the press, Alger ordered construction of barracks at Camp Wikoff to begin and for United States Navy ships to head to Cuba to retrieve Fifth Corps. The first units departed on August 7.[1] Alger claimed that the round-robin letter did not accelerate administration plans to repatriate the corps. This appears disingenuous, however, as Alger had long asserted that naval ships were unavailable to bring the troops home.[5]

Posting this apropos of nothing, but the parallel with history is striking.

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, NoName said:

i keep seeing these info about the swabs being terrible but they are the same length as a rapid flu test as far as i know? 

so if you have gone to an urgent care center in the last few years that is what they do?

Not sure but it sure sounds different than getting a swab from your friendly local healthcare worker. People wearing full facemasks and hazmat suits grab you at the terminal or your state run hotel where you are confined to your room and given a one way entry key that won’t work again. Food is delivered to your door. 

They don't know if the people are qualified and don't trust the test results and are very wary of ending up in a Chinese hospital full of known carriers. She had three vastly different temp readings using three different thermometers. She was tested in Singapore and quarantined for 15 hours before cleared. Then they want to do it all over again in Shenzhen and Japan.

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Maybe I’m confusing you with someone else, but I don’t think this is the first time I’ve seen you instigate a doctor dick measuring contest. We get it. You think being a CV surgery attending at an academic facility is the shit. That’s great. Maybe you’re doing some cutting edge shit. Or maybe you just weren’t good enough to cut it in private practice without an institution to back up your salary. 

A CV Surgeon (or any surgeon for that matter) isn't going to imply that what happens after intubation is the part you can just delegate to the lesser beings... first clue.

He is a Cardiologist, if I remember correctly from another thread.....

Edited by naija

13 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Did you remove the efi in your cars and install carbs? 

If not your fucked.

However, that pic you responded to now makes clear why people with functioning tap water made a run on bottled water. Wives love their fucking glassware.

Yeah good catch, that one had me stumped for a while.  I stripped out all the garage foil, and used sheet lead instead.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Well, it was about an hour and 5 minutes.  So it was over an hour 

8 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

So 2 hours?

That is some serious rounding up.  Not too different from some of the dealt prognosticators on this thread.  

• Like 1

On a side note. Has anyone here received a text like this?

Hi GRHorn. My name is Sarah and I'm a student at UT Austin. I've moved back home since classes moved online and am doing remote learning.  Its been a real adjustment but I'm still glad to be connected to my classmates and faculty. Can I share how Longhorns are helping UT students impacted by the COVID-19 crisis? 

what’s the scam angle here?

20 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh I have the entire house foiled,  5 layers on walls, 10 on windows, and 12 on the attic floor. Make sur the shiny side is facing out every other layer... very important.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Hi GRHorn. My name is Sarah and I'm a student at UT Austin. I've moved back home since classes moved online and am doing remote learning.  Its been a real adjustment but I'm still glad to be connected to my classmates and faculty. Can I share how Longhorns are helping UT students impacted by the COVID-19 crisis? 

Probably fishing for a sugar daddy. Let it play out until she sends pics and then share them here. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

A $2500 private cam show charged to your Venture card...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Fuck you... I mean you're not wrong, but still. He'll be back next year. So... Plenty of time to address this unpleasant reality.

And we just lit the Derka rant signal. Fuck...

it's not like anyone said "J'covan Brown" or anything

... aw shit

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

5 minutes after leaving the office, I got told one of the cleaning crew tested positive. Yay!

My wife was emailed today by her office saying that someone in her medical building tested positive.  That's it.

No idea if it was someone in her office, or on the same floor or upstairs or down stairs(it's a small 3 floor medical office building, not really all that big).

Just figured they wouldn't say anything if it was a completely different office or floor.

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You are about to be hit up for a sizable donation for her pet project that gets her noticed and admired. 

CHIEF

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

All of the responses below are correct.

14 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Probably fishing for a sugar daddy. Let it play out until she sends pics and then share them here. 

14 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Bro, she might be looking for a sugar daddy. You need to ask for then post said pics and let us determine the value.

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Either that or she’s trying to sell you her used panties. Either way play it out.

10 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

A $2500 private cam show charged to your Venture card...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

got the same one.  Pro tip - sharing "how Longhorns are helping..." is not a euphemism for anything.

no idea what the heck it is.

30 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Ask for pics.  Come on, man!

8 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Yep. Our greed for large profit margins and cheap shit has compromised our national safety. We have a surgical mask manufacturer in a suburb of Ft. Worth, he is still just running his daily 8 hour shift.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2020/04/03/if-you-imagine-that-a-local-business-making-surgical-face-masks-is-working-247-guess-again/

No one will sign a long term contract since his mask costs about 10 cents to make in the US, but can be made in China for 2 cents. We get what we deserve.

CHIEF

watch nothing change once this all over. nobody will want to pay 2-3x what they normally do

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I got one of those texts too.  Mine is from Winnie. What the fuck kind of Gen Z name is Winnie?

Congratulations, you got the centenarian that has gone back to classes:

The uncommon name Winnie was the 1,005th Most Popular Girls Name in the United States in 2018. Winnie, although not presently in the top 1000, did once enjoy higher rankings. Position 162, its highest popularity RANKING, was reached in 1881. 

However, the name was bestowed upon the greatest number of babies in 1919

3 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

got the same one.  Pro tip - sharing "how Longhorns are helping..." is not a euphemism for anything.

no idea what the heck it is.

It is considered an "implied close" in sales. She is assuming he won't say no to her proposal. Still haven't seen the pics though.

CHIEF

35 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

She gets your little head thinking for your big head. After that it's Venmo, Check, Cash, Paypal, Fill In The Blank.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away