Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

‘Dr.’ In her twitter handle...

this bitch likes to be tied up

Insecure or arrogant as hell. Scientists who do this are douchebags. MD’s often introduce themselves as doctor a lot in non-clinical situations, I assume because they think they are due your respect. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So should we be optimistic in ATX about the turn in these data?  It looks like we were about to go exponential. Or is this just artificial suppression of the rate as results of testing limitations?

Captureatx.jpg

I am cautiously optimistic that we shut down the city early enough and are doing enough to contain the spread locally. So credit where due to the mayor and county judge for making a tough call at the right time. Let’s see if they have the sand to keep it up long enough. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

Interesting take on the CDC data

https://uncoverdc.com/2020/04/05/could-cdc-data-prove-covid-19-infections-in-november-2019/

spacer.png

Video of the analysis 

I want to take this a step further.  

Browsing the DSHS website today, looked at flu stats for 9/29/19 - 1/23/20

flu tests performed 110,900

flu tests positive. 27,318

the flu & influenza mortality rates for that period:

age.    Number

0-4      <10

5-17.   <10

18-49.  101

50-64.   282

65+.    1,353

total positives 27,318 with total deaths at 1,748.  Info does not specify specific cause of death, just the numbers.  Age distribution looks pretty much just like CV.

I also want to take a logic leap and ask something about shelter in place.  Not saying in the least that we shouldn't be doing everything we can to slow this down, just raising a question while also agreeing that lowering the RO is a good thing however we do it.  So many will agree that a heavy viral load is much more detrimental to your health, if you are exposed to a huge dose of the virus it has a big head start multiplying in your system and really fucking you up or killing you.  And the sicker you are, the higher your viral shedding is likely to be.

So a great number of people sheltering in place are doing so indoors, particularly in big cities like Ny or in places where the weather still sucks.  And if you are sheltering in smaller places like NY apartments, and you are infected, and you are shedding a lot of virus, people in your close proximity are subject to much higher viral loads over longer periods of time than if some of those factors are lessened.  

Just pondering a what if this thing has been around longer than we think and SIP specifically might be exacerbating bad cases.  It's almost certainly lowering the RO factor since people are having far fewer face to face contacts to whom they can spread the bug, but perhaps often making it worse for those they do infect. 

Edited by Treefidy
All that wall of words and my point was that we really need to get on a fucking widespread antibody test like yesterday

20 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

BFF who lives in Brisbane, Australia says the they are now able to get a test if they have any sort of respiratory symptoms. They don’t have to have a fever. Says they are stepping up community tracking.

Which has been a consistent lessoned learn in combating dangerous health threats....alas, here we are...

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

Worldometer recap

+4000 cases but still under 30k for second straight day

Deaths didn’t jump either up about 50

Lot of states must’ve had tests back logged from the weekend -Louisiana Fla Mass Connecticut had like 600 or more cases than yesterday

Still can’t believe how well Texas and Cali are doing. 500 deaths between the top 2 populated states

• Like 3

BFF who lives in Brisbane, Australia says the they are now able to get a test if they have any sort of respiratory symptoms. They don’t have to have a fever. Says they are stepping up community tracking. 

I got a test the next morning in Houston with a strong cough but no fever. Last Friday.

8 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

https://abc7.com/coronavirus-drug-covid-19-malaria-hydroxychloroquine/6079864/

Sunday, April 5, 2020 11:48PM

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Los Angeles doctor said he is seeing significant success in prescribing the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc to treat patients with severe symptoms of COVID-19.

Hydroxychloroquine has been touted as a possible treatment for COVID-19 by President Trump among others, but it remains controversial as some experts believe it is unproven and may not be effective.

The drug has long been used for treatment of malaria and conditions such as lupus and arthritis but is not technically approved by the FDA for COVID-19. The agency, however, is encouraging trials and has provided limited emergency authorization for its use to treat COVID-19 patients.

Dr. Anthony Cardillo said he has seen very promising results when prescribing hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc for the most severely-ill COVID-19 patients.

"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."

Cardillo is the CEO of Mend Urgent Care, which has locations in Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys and Burbank.

He said he has found it only works if combined with zinc. The drug, he said, opens a channel for the zinc to enter the cell and block virus replication.

He added that the drug should not be prescribed for those who are presenting only mild symptoms, as there are concerns about shortages for patients with other conditions who need to take the drug on a regular basis.

bbc just had a doctor with a degree from Columbia who is in Seattle say "no proof"

last week there was a doctor in new york who claimed the same thing as Cardillo, except it was hcq + zpack.

hcq + zinc makes sense.

Yes, as soon as the pandemic is over, US hospitals will go back to using Chinese producers for the bottom line. After ramping up for H1N1, he had to lay off 150 workers and provide for unemployment. They treated him as though he was just expendable. 
CHIEF

Wow. What a shit show.

You melted down on this thread

last Wednesday. First you showed up and declared 50,000 people would be dead in the US ahead of 4/15, got condescending quickly when others offered other possibilities due to the measures being taken around the country, namecalling and predictable back and forth with "no, I'm right and you suck!" with "no, you suck, and your prediction shit is all retarded!", etc.

You left the thread for awhile a bit later that day

Just to be clear jimmy, his account of that day is completely fabricated, with the exception of your prediction.

Of course, you completely framed that prediction as an extension of current trends. Valid, civil back and forth discussion with a few posters over the course of the day. That discussion was valid, and normal, between roughly 6 to 8 posts.

Then, ctj jumped in to try and shit all over you, and the thread as usual, without reason. Doing this to frame you, as he has tried with others, as mysteriously hoping the number of deaths in your prediction would become true. A completely preposterous proposition to all except ctj, who we should all remember is most self-aware person on Earth.

Clearly exhibited by his petty, narcissistic need to troll through the posting history of one user to jeg every post in retalition.

It's not me. It's everybody else.

@jimmyjazz

Edited by pacman
  • Like 3

Last 2 curbside / instacarts have left some big holes they they couldn't fill. We could go another week without shopping, but it would mean kids bitching about lack of salty snacks, etc. So... should I just mask up and get it done, or endure sub-optimal food for the duration? I'm not really understanding what the guidance is at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CleverNickname said:

Last 2 curbside / instacarts have left some big holes they they couldn't fill. We could go another week without shopping, but it would mean kids bitching about lack of salty snacks, etc. So... should I just mask up and get it done, or endure sub-optimal food for the duration? I'm not really understanding what the guidance is at the moment.

My personal opinion would be to stretch it out for another week if you have supplies and we are talking about luxuries or nice to haves. 

8 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Pop some real popcorn, not the microwave stuff, in a touch too much oil in the heaviest pot you have. Throw in a quarter stick of butter as soon as it starts to pop. Salt to taste. Takes care of the salt craving.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

My personal opinion would be to stretch it out for another week if you have supplies and we are talking about luxuries or nice to haves. 

Not major staples. But things like the kids preferred cereals, the good quesadilla cheese, pita bread. I kinda worry that if I wait 7 to 10 more days then we'd be really out of some stuff, and then it's not just mildly inconvenient but a real bummer. Like, why let get things get too lean?

Edited by CleverNickname

Longhorns helping Longhorns? Spare me the time! I’ve got a wife (teacher) trying to do school work online with her fellow teachers/students, two college kids trying to do their shit, and me and the Bassett Hound working from home on the back porch!

I’ve already participated in multiple teleconferences from the driveway (with the A/C on in my car), so I could eliminate background noise. After this shit is over, if I still have a job, I’m moving into a bigger house, with a separate office, just in case!

I was fine with my “empty nest” until both kids had to move back in at the same time! Now my office is the back porch, with the Bassett, not understanding all the commotion within the house!

16 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Not major staples. But things like the kids preferred cereals, the good quesadilla cheese, pita bread. I kinda worry that if I wait 7 to 10 more days then we'd be really out of some stuff, and then it's not just mildly inconvenient but a real bummer. Like, why let get things get too lean?

I'm  not giving you advice but we have made the decision to go once a week to the grocery store. No more no less.  Wear a mask. Wear gloves . Social distance. Have common sense . If you are about to go down an aisle and Joe Bob is hacking away at the cheese it section just turn right around and keep shopping . Go during the week preferably early in the am on days where anyone can enter. Ie not on days when its elderly only. Just be smart and your odds of catching it are extremely low if you take the necessary precautions.  

Edit: We also leave our shoes in the garage and immediately change clothes when we get home. We wipe down all items and wash our hands thoroughly after.  

Edited by UTGrad98
A side of crazy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Try Costco online 

52 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Biggest thing is making sure you schedule them for the morning when the store is stocked. The earlier the better. Even if you have to wait a couple extra days it’s worth it.

I still don’t understand you once a week grocery shoppers. Why?  We haven’t been in a store in around 4 weeks. I presume most of you have a decent sized refrigerator and pantry?  It’s an unnecessary risk for us. 

just ordered out for the first time on Saturday, a bunch of pizza. Boxes never came inside, I put the pizzas on oven trays and then right into the oven for a heat bath. 

why make so many trips to the most crowded place left that’s not a hospital?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Something about the Thigh/hip/ass ratio to waste doesn’t look real. Are people really built this way these days?  

Fake asses are out there. But in Miami some of those girls actually work out their legs properly and the whole thing is pulled off quite nicely.  Now when you get ass implants and don't work your legs out you look like shit.  This fine young lady seems to be pulling things off quite well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I get wearing a mask. But what difference do gloves actually make? 

If you are smart about it, you can lose most of the virus that gets on your gloved hands by taking the gloves off. If you are stupid and touch your face and your car and your keys and stuff with contaminated gloves, then not much difference. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I still don’t understand you once a week grocery shoppers. Why?  We haven’t been in a store in around 4 weeks. I presume most of you have a decent sized refrigerator and pantry?  It’s an unnecessary risk for us. 

just ordered out for the first time on Saturday, a bunch of pizza. Boxes never came inside, I put the pizzas on oven trays and then right into the oven for a heat bath. 

I’d say there are plenty of people that don’t buy for a month at a time because they can’t afford it.

Not on Surly though. We only bang 10’s and if you generate most of your income from a W2 you’re pathetic.

1 hour ago, CleverNickname said:

You can probably get any non-perishables online via Amazon or WalMart.  I have had no issues getting all snacks, drinks, paper goods (except TP) in less than a week.  

I’m one of those weirdos that likes fresh food.
This. We stock up for a few weeks on everything except for fresh fruits and veggies. Those only last so long. We eat a ton of tomatoes and those aren't exactly freezable.

I did see a ton of people coming out of HEB with a single bag though. Thought that was odd.

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This.  Nobody should be going to the grocery store more than twice a month, and 90% of people should be using curbside or delivery for those 2 trips.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

You gotta be kiddin me with this shit when this is out there. spacer.pngspacer.png

Muy bueno. And this is after the (alleged) boob reduction.  

Winnie talk beats the shit out of doctor dick measuring.  

59 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

weird, is this a thing? Today I got a meme in spanish that was someone whispering to Fauci/etc that the Dominicans are still cutting hair behind the lowered gates. I know there is a guy in a professional van in Austin still doing haircuts which seems like an unnecessary risk (not sure if he goes into your house or you just get a haircut in the van) but I'm still taking the dog on long solo walks so can't really point fingers.

weird, is this a thing? Today I got a meme in spanish that was someone whispering to Fauci/etc that the Dominicans are still cutting hair behind the lowered gates. I know there is a guy in a professional van in Austin still doing haircuts which seems like an unnecessary risk (not sure if he goes into your house or you just get a haircut in the van) but I'm still taking the dog on long solo walks so can't really point fingers.
Only takes one infected client to fuck that whole thing up.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My wife and her fresh produce . She eats top of the line food and will not eat from a can.  Dont judge. I put my foot down when I told her no more than once a week. She was going 3-4 times a week up until mid February.  

If it were just my son and I we could go 6 weeks at a time if we wanted. My wife is also not taking this crisis well. She is an extrovert and is going crazy not being able to leave the house. My son and I havent batted an eye. We were born for situations like this.

21 minutes ago, Okie State said:

This. We stock up for a few weeks on everything except for fresh fruits and veggies. Those only last so long. We eat a ton of tomatoes and those aren't exactly freezable.

I did see a ton of people coming out of HEB with a single bag though. Thought that was odd.

Fuck nuts probably need some chocolate or some other inconsequential items.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away