Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Fuck nuts probably need some chocolate or some other inconsequential items.
Yeah my wife rolled out a basket piled to the top and said she felt like a hoarder compared to most people in there just chilling like it was a regular trip to the store because they were bored or something.

2 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Yeah my wife rolled out a basket piled to the top and said she felt like a hoarder compared to most people in there just chilling like it was a regular trip to the store because they were bored or something.

yeah, mine said same thing when she made a run last week. 

Was a pain in the fucking ass processing all that shit when it got here though.  Still have the pantry items sitting in the garage until needed. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
3 minutes ago, F250 said:
Fuck nuts probably need some chocolate or some other inconsequential items.

Yeah, I suspect people are going to the store out of boredom. Fucking go for a run or some shit if you are bored don't go shopping for comfort food.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ths71 said:

Not sure but it sure sounds different than getting a swab from your friendly local healthcare worker. People wearing full facemasks and hazmat suits grab you at the terminal or your state run hotel where you are confined to your room and given a one way entry key that won’t work again. Food is delivered to your door. 

They don't know if the people are qualified and don't trust the test results and are very wary of ending up in a Chinese hospital full of known carriers. She had three vastly different temp readings using three different thermometers. She was tested in Singapore and quarantined for 15 hours before cleared. Then they want to do it all over again in Shenzhen and Japan.

Cunning plan: run all of the civilian 747s and MD11s on round trips from Kadena in to Japan, Korea and northern China; from Andersen to Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and southern China, and from Diego Garcia in to Singapore and the rest of south east asia.  Then use C-5s Kadena - Elmendorf - SEA; Andersen - Hickham - LAX; and Diego Garcia - Ramstein - Hanscom/Andrews/Langley.  Once stateside, reload to all of the non-wide-body FedEx and UPS fleets.

This would have been so easy to solve on a war footing if the military had the C5.

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Cunning plan: run all of the civilian 747s and MD11s on round trips from Kadena in to Japan, Korea and northern China; from Andersen to Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and southern China, and from Diego Garcia in to Singapore and the rest of south east asia.  Then use C-5s Kadena - Elmendorf - SEA; Andersen - Hickham - LAX; and Diego Garcia - Ramstein - Hanscom/Andrews/Langley.  Once stateside, reload to all of the non-wide-body FedEx and UPS fleets.

This would have been so easy to solve on a war footing if the military had the C5.

What am I even reading here?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Produce is the rate limiting factor in our ability to stretch the grocery out. Most everything else can come out of the freezer or cans to stretch. BTW, consider taking the time to make a quick donation to your local food bank or mobile loaves and fishes. https://mlf.org/

Guys...please do this. The hit to the Capital Area Food Bank today was brutal. Tens of thousands of our neighbors are hungry right now. Help them out.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So what I’m reading is that some of you aren’t willing to alter your eating habits to include fresh produce only one week out of every 3 or 4 for a couple of months?

I like your plan in theory but I can see how some families might not have the space or funds to buy for 3-4 weeks at at time. Especially people in apartments that aren't the size that most Texans/Midwesterners are familiar with.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, achooloco said:

I like your plan in theory but I can see how some families might not have the space or funds to buy for 3-4 weeks at at time. Especially people in apartments that aren't the size that most Texans/Midwesterners are familiar with.

Oh, completely understood. I was talking to/about posters here as a collective, who I’ve come to believe are mostly in Texas, mostly ok income wise or better, and mostly not in tiny apartments with tiny fridges and no storage for non perishables. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I still don’t understand you once a week grocery shoppers. Why?  We haven’t been in a store in around 4 weeks. I presume most of you have a decent sized refrigerator and pantry?  It’s an unnecessary risk for us. 

just ordered out for the first time on Saturday, a bunch of pizza. Boxes never came inside, I put the pizzas on oven trays and then right into the oven for a heat bath. 

why make so many trips to the most crowded place left that’s not a hospital?

Some of us like to eat fresh vegetables breh 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So what I’m reading is that some of you aren’t willing to alter your eating habits to include fresh produce only one week out of every 3 or 4 for a couple of months?

I’ve been going to HEB once a week. I have to go into the office everyday since we can’t work from home, so I’m risking it everyday anyway. Id rather take my chances dying from the virus, living my life how I want vs letting fear/anxiety dictate my actions. Of course I could live a month off canned and frozen shit, but that’s just not a path that makes sense to me. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

frozen vegetables are just as good.  sometimes better.  nutritionally speaking. 

We ate a bunch of our vegetables over the first month of mayhem since I had been buying up prior to the shock.   

But, as has been mentioned, I have a pregnant wife, and she’s eating shit she’s never eaten since we’ve been married. Hammering bananas, apples, and other fruits and veggies like a Gallagher wannabe.   So I have to replenish that shit once/week.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ve been going to HEB once a week. I have to go into the office everyday since we can’t work from home, so I’m risking it everyday anyway. Id rather take my chances dying from the virus, living my life how I want vs letting fear/anxiety dictate my actions. Of course I could live a month off canned and frozen shit, but that’s just not a path that makes sense to me. 

You are young and low risk, and don’t have a family depending on you. Your risk tolerance will be different than other folks.  We are choosing to be very conservative because we are a little older and neither myself or my wife are interested in turning the other into a single parent. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You are young and low risk, and don’t have a family depending on you. Your risk tolerance will be different than other folks.  We are choosing to be very conservative because we are a little older and neither myself or my wife are interested in turning the other into a single parent. 

I’m reading stories everyday of previously healthy young people getting killed by this. Death so sudden it’s killing a lot of them in their sleep at home. Haven’t seen the US death stats broken down by age but I imagine a significant percentage at this point is people 20-50 years old. It could take me out as easy as it could take out you. You’re right that it’s different since I don’t have a family to support though. That would change my rationale.

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Oh, completely understood. I was talking to/about posters here as a collective, who I’ve come to believe are mostly in Texas, mostly ok income wise or better, and mostly not in tiny apartments with tiny fridges and no storage for non perishables. 

what percentage of the population (non-Surly) would you estimate are in this position of luxury?

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

ok

its cool 

wear a mask.

https://vimeo.com/402577241?ref=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR1AcHC-A6eR4P4ReVgnHu3PKgYQfg8cfDGtK8q32ImOPvJWrWCfxpkv-Sw

its not a freak  out but its close.

'Micro droplets suspending in air'

https://vimeo.com/402577241?ref=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR1AcHC-A6eR4P4ReVgnHu3PKgYQfg8cfDGtK8q32ImOPvJWrWCfxpkv-Sw

also, consult your local csa.

https://www.jbgorganic.com/csa

those guys will deliver to near you.

it is clear now that we have to be smart for our family

• Like 2

I’m reading stories everyday of previously healthy young people getting killed by this. Death so sudden it’s killing a lot of them in their sleep at home. Haven’t seen the US death stats broken down by age but I imagine a significant percentage at this point is people 20-50 years old. It could take me out as easy as it could take out you. You’re right that it’s different since I don’t have a family to support though. That would change my rationale.

I am concerned about the solvency of my life insurance company. 

in dc we are about 3 weeks ahead of you guys.

our numbers today.

The 30's to 40's are knocking it out of the park.

Coronavirus Data

DC COVID-19 Data for April 5, 2020

Other Data

Below is the District’s aggregated total of positive COVID-19 cases, sorted by age and gender.

Total Positives by Age (Years) and Gender Graph

Patient Age (yrs)

Total Positives

Patient Gender

Female

Male

Unknown

All

0-18

19-30

31-40

41-50

51-60

61-70

71-80

81+

Positives By Ward
Below is the District’s aggregated total of positive COVID-19 cases, sorted by ward.

Ward

Total Positive Cases

Unknown

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

The price of beef.  Don’t y’all raise beef?  Da fuq is up with the prices. 

Beef Capital of de World is less than 60 miles from here.

Ground beef will still run you $4.29/# or better.

WTF????????

2 minutes ago, brakeman said:

The 30's to 40's are knocking it out of the park.

they are everywhere.  the numbers from s korea and iceland were pretty interesting.  the younger population are for the most part unaffected by it and just spreading it around everywhere like hookers at last call. 

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But aren't you the Duck of Death?

Username translation does not align

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

milk and fruit.  we go through a gallon a day during normal times.  with everyone home now all day (except me) we're at a gallon and a half a day.  and now we can only buy 2 gallons at a time from whole foods so i'm going every other day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

milk and fruit.  we go through a gallon a day during normal times.  with everyone home now all day (except me) we're at a gallon and a half a day.  and now we can only buy 2 gallons at a time from whole foods so i'm going every other day.

good for y’all.  I thought it was only I who drank that much milk. 

I got 5 people in my house right now. We are going through 300-400 worth of groceries in a week. We are doing curbside pickup though. I haven't been inside a store in almost a month.

1 - with entire families at home every day, for every meal, they’re needing a lot more calories in the fridge and pantry than usual. Just the lunches in our household - all of us ate lunch outside the home before. So we need to add about 1/3 to our groceries. That’s just our household - others need to add even more.

2 - donate to the food bank. Do it soon - there’s an incredible match going on. Our $250 became $500 immediately - that translates to 4,000 meals for our neighbors.

Our neighbors are hungry. We need to feed them.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Yep. The 1 year-old has us going out to buy milk every three or four days, 2 gallons at a time. I might as well grab some cereal, fresh fruit and veggies, ice cream, and a six pack while I'm at it.

Maybe all you aristocrats lucky enough to trap themselves in at home for 3 weeks straight eating canned kidney beans will think of those of us less fortunate.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Blood clots?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away