Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

27 minutes ago, Viper said:

no, that's crazy unless you actually work at the store. I was just saying there's nothing wrong with milk.

https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01667476/document

Basically, most everyone in Europe and America, along with Iran and India speak a language (Germanic, Celtic, Greek, Latin, Hindi, Persian) that comes from what are called the Proto Indo-Europeans. They lived somewhere north of the Black Sea 6,000-8,000 years ago. One theory on why these people were able to conquer or at least dominate such a wide swath of land is that they were the original population that developed lactose tolerance as adults.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Deaths today and the not to distant future is going to suck.

I bet we have another day of around 25 and 30k cases so that’s starting to level off, over the last 7 days

I wish states posted recovered stats. Right now Minnesota has more recovered cases than active ones

The cases leveling off is pretty fucking great news. Reporting issues, sure, but if anything, that's driven case counts higher in single days as different places play catch-up. 

Seems like Tuesday death tolls always include straggling count from the weekend that didn't come in by the time many places reported their numbers on Monday. Brutal either way. 

8 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

An online article I read said “France bans outdoor exercise” but when clicking in the article mentioned during certain hours ergo clickbait imo, back to milk now...

So it sounds like you’re the one who reads shit articles, or doesn’t read them entirely at all. As it was said later, those are are 10-7. What exactly qualifies as “click bait” to you, precisely? 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

So it sounds like you’re the one who reads shit articles. As it was said later, those are are 10-7. What exactly qualifies as “click bait” to you, precisely? 

Look Syndey, it isn't like they banned outdoor exercise from midnight to 7 am. That would obviously be a big deal. But who cares about 10 am to 7 pm? Who would ever want to be outside then? 

• Like 1

Dallas hospital data just dropped.  Looks very positive if numbers are accurate (big caveat is if this isn't capturing a significant amount of hospitalized Covid patients that aren't confirmed positive). https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/DCHHS COVID19 Summary_04072020_HAN.pdf

But, if reasonably accurate and (big IF) trend continues to Friday, we may have successfully flattened growth.  Which is even more the reason for city/county leaders to figure out testing ASAP over the next few weeks.  If community spread is controlled on 5/1 as evidenced by a declining hospitalized case rate at that time (with plenty of excess capacity), the only reason we won't be in a position to phase out the restrictions and slowly open back up is because we don't have the ability to do widespread testing with relatively streamlined results + contact trace.  Fucking figure it out in case this trend holds.  I initially predicted 4/20 and from a pure community spread perspective that date may be just fine.  Unfortunately we aren't anywhere close from a logistics perspective.

Total COVID Hospital Admissions

3/24:  61

3/27: 111 

3/31:  192 

4/3:  290 

4/7: 383 

Total COVID ICU Admissions

3/24:  21

3/27: 40 

3/31:  59 

4/3:  89 

4/7: 119 

Total COVID Needing Vents

3/24:  9

3/27: 23 

3/31: 42 

4/3: 56 

4/7: 72 

• Like 1

Yeah, most of my outdoor exercise tends to be from 10-7, until we hit the peak of summer heat.  

It would at least be an inconvenience, and I think it's newsworthy.  I'm sure I'd adjust, just as they will, but I don't think it's trash reporting or anything like that.

So it sounds like you’re the one who reads shit articles, or doesn’t read them entirely at all. As it was said later, those are are 10-7. What exactly qualifies as “click bait” to you, precisely? 

Dude, unwad your panties. You posted a statement implying France banned all outdoor activity. I related in that I saw a headline with the same statement which I clicked to find it was during certain hours. To me that is clickbait as the headline should be “France limits outdoor activity”. And I get my news from BBC, CNN, FOX and The Onion.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

If nothing else at all is taken from this entire thing, the following has certainly been proven beyond a reasonable doubt:

1) China is absolutely full of shit and always will be

2) WHO is fucking absolutely full of shit and always has been

3) The US plan to address such a situation, it you want to call it a plan, was absolutely terrible from an organizational stand point. 

4) The US medical manufacturing world and thereby the US is a cluster fuck of stupid.

5) Very few people in the US and on this thread understand anything, at all, about statistical analysis

6) Greenspoint and CTJ need help, lots of it.

I'm sure I'll be slapped down into the cloak for this post and I probably deserve it. Doesn't change the realities above.

Look I don't know about the other points , but 5 is a cardinal rule. NO MATHS DAMMIT !!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

If nothing else at all is taken from this entire thing, the following has certainly been proven beyond a reasonable doubt:

1) China is absolutely full of shit and always will be

2) WHO is fucking absolutely full of shit and always has been

3) The US plan to address such a situation, it you want to call it a plan, was absolutely terrible from an organizational stand point. 

4) The US medical manufacturing world and thereby the US is a cluster fuck of stupid.

5) Very few people in the US and on this thread understand anything, at all, about statistical analysis

6) Greenspoint and CTJ need help, lots of it.

I'm sure I'll be slapped down into the cloak for this post and I probably deserve it. Doesn't change the realities above.

You left out:

7) squirrel can be delicious if properly prepared

8 - milk is either awesome, or is the devil

9) something something, South Austin's mom.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, NoName said:

Wow.

Full Text from Beckers:

Reveal hidden contents

'We are not immune': Henry Ford Health says 734 employees positive for COVID-19
Kelly Gooch - 2 hours ago    Print     | Email

More than 700 employees of Detroit-based Henry Ford Health System have tested positive for COVID-19, the health system confirmed to Becker's.

Adnan Munkarah, MD, executive vice president and chief clinical officer, said Henry Ford has tested nearly 2,500 employees since tracking began March 12, and the majority have tested negative. However, as of April 6, 734 employees, or 2.1 percent of the health system's workforce, have tested positive. Positive cases include employees not working directly on the front lines or those who contracted the virus in the community.

In announcing the update, Dr. Munkarah pointed to the health system's strict adherence to the use of personal protective equipment during the pandemic, as well as other measures that have been put in place to protect employees and patients. Those measures include a universal mask policy for employees and visitors and the prioritization of testing for employees exhibiting even mild symptoms.

"As a health system caring for a large majority of our region's COVID-19 patients, we know we are not immune to potential exposure and we remain grateful for the courage and dedication of our entire team," said Dr. Munkarah.

Michigan is one of the states hardest hit by the pandemic. As of 7:25 a.m. CDT April 7, there were 17,221 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state.  

Jesus, what’s making this so bad in Detroit/Michigan? Seems like NYC and New Orleans both make some sense from a density and public events stand point, but it’s unclear why it’s so bad there. 

Just now, GabrielsHorn said:

Jesus, what’s making this so bad in Detroit/Michigan? Seems like NYC and New Orleans both make some sense from a density and public events stand point, but it’s unclear why it’s so bad there. 

Have you been there? It is all bad. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Seems like they need a doctor.  A specialized doctor, familiar with the needs of the area.....

Doctor_Detroit.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You left out:

7) squirrel can be delicious if properly prepared

8 - milk is either awesome, or is the devil

9) something something, South Austin's mom.

7) Squirrel in Brunswick stew is damned delicious.

8-  Milk with ice cream is awesome, and the devil.

9)  She must be regional.

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Just a guess: Poverty + disdain for social distancing + obesity

I guess that makes sense, especially with the racial breakdown from Chicago today also indicating it affects African American communities harder. Still, seems like Detroit is taking it harder than somewhere like Chicago. 

ok, need help with assisting the wife in shopping. she is resisting switching to online shopping. i have no idea why but she has not embraced it at all. So, can you use Favor for HEB? i know they started a program for seniors but is that just the hotline? What about everyone else? Can you just order on Favor? Any other good methods? Shipt? 

Instacart and HEB curbside are weeks out. I keep telling her to go ahead  and order on those for the available dates but she keeps dragging her feet and then the dates keep bumping out. So anyone help you can provide so i dont have to reinvent the wheel, i would appreciate.

9 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Detroit is a big international hub.  Almost every international hub in the US is a hotspot or on the way to being one.  All that international travel meant the virus had already taken root and started spreading before the shutdown.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

There's not a lie in that post. It's a reminder of some lunatic level shit you posted plus facts about today's death tolls around the country at the time of the post. Pretty straightforward. Given your posting behaviors, you calling anyone else a liar is pretty rich. 

I couldn't count the times you've lied on this thread since I jumped on.  You routinely mischaracterize not only people's motivations but their actual posts in lame attempts to score points with your little cadre of sockophants.

You lie so often I suspect you often don't even realize you're doing it.  

• Like 3

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

ok, need help with assisting the wife in shopping. she is resisting switching to online shopping. i have no idea why but she has not embraced it at all. So, can you use Favor for HEB? i know they started a program for seniors but is that just the hotline? What about everyone else? Can you just order on Favor? Any other good methods? Shipt? 

Instacart and HEB curbside are weeks out. I keep telling her to go ahead  and order on those for the available dates but she keeps dragging her feet and then the dates keep bumping out. So anyone help you can provide so i dont have to reinvent the wheel, i would appreciate.

generally this is horrible for wives.  the "shopping" aspect is gone.  just have her order the staples.  less choice there.  and make another order for the wants.

• Like 1

PSA for any Surly Austinites who may have missed it:

Starting at sunset on Thursday, all City of Austin parks and trails will close for the Easter weekend to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

The closures, covering all city trails, greenbelts and preserves – including the Butler Hike and Bike Trail around Lady Bird Lake – end at sunrise Monday.

https://www.kut.org/post/all-city-austin-parks-and-trails-will-close-during-easter-weekend

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Dallas hospital data just dropped.  Looks very positive if numbers are accurate (big caveat is if this isn't capturing a significant amount of hospitalized Covid patients that aren't confirmed positive). https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/DCHHS COVID19 Summary_04072020_HAN.pdf

But, if reasonably accurate and (big IF) trend continues to Friday, we may have successfully flattened growth.  Which is even more the reason for city/county leaders to figure out testing ASAP over the next few weeks.  If community spread is controlled on 5/1 as evidenced by a declining hospitalized case rate at that time (with plenty of excess capacity), the only reason we won't be in a position to phase out the restrictions and slowly open back up is because we don't have the ability to do widespread testing with relatively streamlined results + contact trace.  Fucking figure it out in case this trend holds.  I initially predicted 4/20 and from a pure community spread perspective that date may be just fine.  Unfortunately we aren't anywhere close from a logistics perspective.

Total COVID Hospital Admissions

3/24:  61

3/27: 111 

3/31:  192 

4/3:  290 

4/7: 383 

Total COVID ICU Admissions

3/24:  21

3/27: 40 

3/31:  59 

4/3:  89 

4/7: 119 

Total COVID Needing Vents

3/24:  9

3/27: 23 

3/31: 42 

4/3: 56 

4/7: 72 

I'm assuming "Total" doesn't mean "New" (the 72 includes some of the 56 from 4/3).  I normally wouldn't have posted to ask that, but I saw a set of data yesterday where "New" meant "in the last 36 hours" even though the data was updated every 24.

Imperfect Foods seems to have reasonable lead times, but I'm not yet sure what I'll be buying from them.  I have a produce delivery coming Monday.  I'll be able to see prices on Thursday so their other options may start to make sense. 

I'm trying to get the rest of our food from local butcher shops, etc.  The real problem is household goods -- TP, paper towels, cleaners, soap, shampoo, dry goods, pantry essentials.  I haven't really found a way to get those anywhere but the obvious outlets.  I think I'm just going to set up an Instacart delivery in the distant future that I renew and limp along until that one shows up.  As others have said, smaller mom & pop grocery stores tend to be less overrun, if more expensive, but right now I'll take "less overrun".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I continue to have a hard time believing that in four to five weeks we are going to open up businesses again and not see an explosion of cases that puts us right back to an overwhelmed hospital system, unless warm weather truly does kill the virus.

Assuming we have seen an obvious (real) drop in cases, and still keep restrictions on large gatherings (>10, which means no school, no events, most restaurant dining rooms still closed), I don’t think they’ll see a big spike.

37 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Dude, unwad your panties. You posted a statement implying France banned all outdoor activity. I related in that I saw a headline with the same statement which I clicked to find it was during certain hours. To me that is clickbait as the headline should be “France limits outdoor activity”. And I get my news from BBC, CNN, FOX and The Onion.

Well, at this point The Onion is probably the most reliably accurate.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

ERCOT releases COVID-19 load impact analysis

AUSTIN, TX, April 7, 2020 – Beginning today, ERCOT will provide weekly updates regarding load pattern changes due to COVID-19 in the ERCOT region. Updates will be available on the Trending Topics page of the ERCOT website in the Presentations & Other section.

ERCOT began monitoring load impacts directly related to COVID-19 during the week of March 8. While there has been little impact to ERCOT’s daily peaks, the morning load has remained consistently lower between the hours of 6 and 10 a.m. The morning loads are currently six to 10 percent lower than what the forecast model would typically predict after accounting for normal model errors.

“The overall load reduction for the ERCOT region has leveled off over the past two weeks,” said ERCOT Manager of Load Forecasting and Analysis Calvin Opheim. “Based on the data analyzed from the weeks of March 22 and 29, weekly energy use is down by approximately two percent.”

Any changes to the summer peak load forecast will be announced in mid-May when ERCOT releases its final summer Seasonal Assessment of Resource Adequacy and the Capacity, Demand and Reserves Report. A specific release date has not yet been set. 

In addition to monitoring load patterns, ERCOT has taken several measures to help protect its staff during this time. Those steps are outlined in a pandemic planning actions document, which is also available on the Trending Topics page of the ERCOT website.

Do it yourself?
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away