Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I posted a link to a story a few days ago that reported over 200k people had flown from China to the US just before travel from China was banned. That was only for direct flights. It didn’t not count any people on transfer flights. Detroit was one of the major destinations as was New York and Seattle.
Also lotsa Canadians travel to and fro Detroit.

17 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

I've been using them and they've been great in all categories. The prices are fair too- comparable to grocery store prices.

Do you buy anything but produce?  How are their prices on things like chicken breasts, cheese, etc.?

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 5:38 AM, immamac said:

This seems on track for the most part. Please report posts that have people just throwing shit at each other and I'll split those to a new thread to keep this clean. Being an asshole isn't against the rules, but for the sake of readability it's best to separate that out of this thread. 

What happened to this? Only reason I considered reporting such was because I thought you requested us to do so..

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

Just now, immamac said:

new rule - if you report posts and there's nothing wrong with them more than 3 times for the same person I will assume your user and use the ignore feature for you. 

fucking use the ignore feature no one is forcing you to talk to people you don't like.

In a thread that’s supposed to be informative, it sure is good to have the same handful of assholes consistently derail the thread and invoke CR towards other posters who aren’t being political. I could have sworn that was against the rules from a prior post of yours, but I guess y’all are more looking at rep than actual post content for moderating. 

I guess since it’s the self-appointed thread police it’s all fine?

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 5

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

new rule - if you report posts and there's nothing wrong with them more than 3 times for the same person I will assume your user and use the ignore feature for you. 

fucking use the ignore feature no one is forcing you to talk to people you don't like.

Pretty sure some on here would then have NOONE to talk to.

Just now, Captainant said:

In a thread that’s supposed to be informative, it sure is good to have the same handful of assholes consistently derail the thread and invoke CR towards other posters who aren’t being political. I could have sworn that was against the rules from a prior post of yours, but I guess y’all are more looking at rep than actual post content for moderating. 

I guess since it’s the self-appointed thread police it’s all fine?

Is CTJ being an asshole? yeah. Is Jimmy being an asshole? Yeah. Are either of them Trolling? not that I can see. Calling someone a CR retard who posts a lot in CR is...not against the rules either, although it's not a good way to make friends and influence people.

Most everyone is an asshole, it's kinda what makes the board funny and stuff. What doesn't make it fun is when people start going after each other on purpose or just being annoying by tunneling on what a few or one poster is saying/replying. Use the ignore feature and move on. I'm not handing out bans for shit that has never been against the rules.

If the thread gets full on derka'd because of some side drama I usually split it off, although I have been swamped at work and honestly haven't had time to deal with it, plus by the time I finish this post another 2 fucking pages will be added to the thread so it's kinda like no harm no foul at this point.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

That’s enough for each of you to shit for 12-15 months 

I guess our purchaser kept on placing orders when our orders went unfilled? I talked to another manager who got the same delivery today at his branch. Our lobby won't be open for months so I'm telling my employees to take what they want home.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

use the ignore feature - people being an asshole is not against the rules.

Kind of is, from your own terms:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this website to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Paraphrased, You agree, through your use of surly, that you will not be an asshole towards other users.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

50 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Or, 16+ the number of the 56 that were taken off. It’s total vents in use, right?  So to the extreme, of all 56 recovered/died then all 72 would be new. 

I don't think it's current total number in use. I think it's total number of COVID confirmed that have ever been put on a ventilator.   

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Is CTJ being an asshole? yeah. Is Jimmy being an asshole? Yeah. Are either of them Trolling? not that I can see. Calling someone a CR retard who posts a lot in CR is...not against the rules either, although it's not a good way to make friends and influence people.

Most everyone is an asshole, it's kinda what makes the board funny and stuff. What doesn't make it fun is when people start going after each other on purpose or just being annoying by tunneling on what a few or one poster is saying/replying. Use the ignore feature and move on. I'm not handing out bans for shit that has never been against the rules.

If the thread gets full on derka'd because of some side drama I usually split it off, although I have been swamped at work and honestly haven't had time to deal with it, plus by the time I finish this post another 2 fucking pages will be added to the thread so it's kinda like no harm no foul at this point.

You could have just said stop being pussies.

Winnie excepted of course.

1 hour ago, Bevo Num1 said:

It's going to be interesting to see how load shapes change during the summer if this is still going on. Some residential load could be offset by a reduction in commercial load, but would it be enough?

Load this summer will be down if the C&I doesn't come back to near capacity/forecast, and it almost surely doesn't matter how heavily the resi-side uses. 

March, April, and potentially May of 2020 will be the highest residential loads, for those months, in ERCOT history. It still won't make a dent with so much C&I knocked out. It would be a great time to be a residential-oriented REP in Texas because power costs are so low and usage is so high. It's a dream scenario but for the moratorium on disconnects, which will lead to higher bad debt than forecasted for most of the electricity businesses. So, you really want to be a resi-based REP with a great average utility score within your base right now. 

For customers, everyone should prepare for significantly higher than expected electricity bills for the next 3 months of usage. March and April usage, along with November, are the lowest residential power usage periods in ERCOT, so most people are subconsciously going to be expecting a certain bill range and will be surprised when it's higher. This will lead to oddly unseasonal switching for lower prices. January, June-Sept see 75% of the switches in Texas for various established REPs, so this will be another unintended consequence that I'm betting will be studied due to this virus' impact on society.  

So watch your cornhole on your power bill and don't be afraid to switch if you're current with what you owe. There will probably amnesty granted on early termination fees if the PUC hears enough about it in this bizarre time. Also, with suppressed C&I usage, pricing on the grid could be shockingly low for the summer period if that's the case. Could actually be a boon for customers who switch during a seasonally regular period when their contract comes up. I'm guessing strips of summer power have come off of ridiculous forward-pricing in dramatic ways because of this. If they haven't, the traders are just holding off until someone capitulates and undercuts the market in order to shed position.

7 minutes ago, pacman said:

Kind of is, from your own terms:

Paraphrased, You agree, through your use of surly, that you will not be an asshole towards other users.

well guys, we did it.

someone finally referenced the TOS for the site in an argument and was serious about it!

celebrate hardly art GIF by Tacocat

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I don't think it's current total number in use. I think it's total number of COVID confirmed that have ever been put on a ventilator.   

This would be helpful to confirm. I read your posts about the Dallas stuff and scratch my head about that question. Is it cumulative or current? Hope how you're reading it is correct.

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

Are you adding people to ignore lists w/o this magic 3 report rule?    Sure looks like it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Do you buy anything but produce?  How are their prices on things like chicken breasts, cheese, etc.?

I've bought items from all categories they offer (various meats, cheese, bread, rice, pasta, snack food, coffee, butter, nuts, even some lamb tamales last week) and the prices are negligibly more or less than the grocery store depending on the item and week. A friend of mine did a comparison on his last delivery vs. HEB prices and for the same order IF was $5 less (the order had items across all of their categories). The produce is great too.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Parliament said:
53 minutes ago, Hate said:

I posted a link to a story a few days ago that reported over 200k people had flown from China to the US just before travel from China was banned. That was only for direct flights. It didn’t not count any people on transfer flights. Detroit was one of the major destinations as was New York and Seattle.

Also lotsa Canadians travel to and fro Detroit.

Probably some Italian back and forth too with FCA

Reported.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

Oh c'mon...that's way too many clicks.

20 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Worldometer recap

+4000 cases but still under 30k for second straight day

Deaths didn’t jump either up about 50

Lot of states must’ve had tests back logged from the weekend -Louisiana Fla Mass Connecticut had like 600 or more cases than yesterday

Still can’t believe how well Texas and Cali are doing. 500 deaths between the top 2 populated states

Cali got ahead of it early. The number of cases appears to be dropping, but testing remains minimal, so who knows?

17 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

I could buy 4 weeks of groceries for my family of 5, but would no doubt be accused of hoarding. 

But seriously, the amount of food 3 boys go through.  You can only buy so much meat and milk at a time. 

Yep. Even with just a small family, there's only so much you can buy in a trip and only so much that will fit in the refrigerator.

8 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Do not do a balk please

So, regarding the death tolls, it seems like weekends and Mondays don't provide the full picture, which is why we see the Tuesday numbers just. Basically, some groups don't report their counts before a state reports a number on Monday. 

For instance, Massachusetts posted a dramatically higher number today and than any other day, and their Monday number was low. Here's their note on it with today's update:

"Please note that today’s reported deaths reflect deaths occurring over the weekend and the past 24 hours. DPH receives reports of deaths from more than one source that are then matched to laboratory confirmed cases and reported out as quickly as possible. See table below for details."

In the 96 deaths, one female in her 40's with an underlying medical condition, three males and a female in their 50's with no known medical conditions. Everyone else was over 60, which is what every day pretty much looks like for them.

Edited by closetojumping

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Dude, that's the fucking dream.  My wife is like that with laundry...no chance in hell she'll trust me to press a button with her clothes.  But I still have to contribute to grocery shopping.

I’m so glad Lularu or whatever the hell died out.  It’s why I have to read all labels now if I’m trying to be ‘helpful’ with that ‘line dry or you’ll be sad’ shit.  The biggest laugh I got out of my wife in recent memory was holding up a Lula dress for my 3yo, handing it to my wife and telling her ‘sorry honey I put one of your dresses in the dryer by mistake’.  

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

PSA for any Surly Austinites who may have missed it:

Starting at sunset on Thursday, all City of Austin parks and trails will close for the Easter weekend to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

The closures, covering all city trails, greenbelts and preserves – including the Butler Hike and Bike Trail around Lady Bird Lake – end at sunrise Monday.

https://www.kut.org/post/all-city-austin-parks-and-trails-will-close-during-easter-weekend

Jesus wept.

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This would be helpful to confirm. I read your posts about the Dallas stuff and scratch my head about that question. Is it cumulative or current? Hope how you're reading it is correct.

It isn't explicit out but the reason I read it that way is the table they publish specifically says "Ever Hospitalized".  As of today's reporting that number is 393.   Then in the sub-table directly below, it has the number of ICU Admissions and Mechanically Ventilated.  They don't include the word "Ever" for those rows but they do have a separate column that is the "percentage" of total cases.  The percentage is based on the number of "Ever Hospitalized".  So for example, for ICU, it says 119 and 31% (and 119 divided by 393 is 30.28%).   So that is the basis for my interpretation.  But it's a local govt published chart so who the hell knows.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away