Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I dried a pair of her jeans once early in our marriage. I haven't been trusted to do anything but my own laundry in 17 years. 

That's been one of the treefidy paternal hand me downs since the Middle Ages,, like hunting, field dressing, stripping and cleaning firearms, reloading, auto mechanics, use of tools, and always start a relationship off by putting some new dark blue and red clothes in with the whites.  Even just 1 new red shop towel does the trick.  

just make sure it's her whites and to the end of your days together you will never touch laundry again.  Small price to pay to replace that batch of whites, and make sure to pass it along to the next generation.  

This shit is fascinating within the realm of "What would you do as a leader, when it comes to 'nut-cutting time?'

Thomas Modly: Navy Secretary resigns after calling fired captain behind coronavirus letter 'stupid' and 'naive'

Saw a guy wearing a big trash bag that went down to his knees at the grocery store today, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't for comedic purposes.  I guess wearing garbage bags is the new normal.

Edited by OU Sucks

9 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Imagine have leaders being concerned with the lives of their citizens instead of turning a profit.

The economy and deaths are not mutually exclusive. Past week's Economist had an article on the topic, taking about how the suicide rate and other maladies start to ratchet up the death toll when the economy stanks.

tl;dr, our lives are worth about ~$60,000 each

6 hours ago, woohorn said:

I am guessing that University isn't anywhere near Wall Street...

That seems optimistic.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm discussing information about the subject that has us all here on this thread. It's easy to put someone on ignore. You can do that and stop wailing about every post I make.

Where's the fun in that, though?

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

that's surprising to hear.  whole foods can barely keep butter stocked.  and the cheese selection has been sparser than normal. 

also never knew milk could be this divisive. 

My experience here in California (where we locked down earlier) -- supplies are fine. After an initial run, prices will skyrocket. Then, as demand settles down, stocks will come back up. Had no issues getting bleach and eggs this past weekend.

5 hours ago, dcar00 said:

winning!

I think CDC predicted a few days ago the peak would be 2100 or so. 

What does our AD have to do with anything?

😉

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Error in sourcing. Seriously, since when does anything the Post prints have any factual value?

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You left out:

7) squirrel can be delicious if properly prepared

8 - milk is either awesome, or is the devil

9) something something, South Austin's mom.

Let's not bring up squirrels at this point in time

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I couldn't count the times you've lied on this thread since I jumped on.  You routinely mischaracterize not only people's motivations but their actual posts in lame attempts to score points with your little cadre of sockophants.

You lie so often I suspect you often don't even realize you're doing it.  

You say that like it's a bad thing.

11 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Saw a guy wearing a big trash bag that went down to his knees at the grocery store today, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't for comedic purposes.  I guess wearing garbage bags is the new normal.

Unknown.jpeg

The plan is working peeeeeeeerfectlyyyyyyyyyyy..

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So, regarding the death tolls, it seems like weekends and Mondays don't provide the full picture, which is why we see the Tuesday numbers just. Basically, some groups don't report their counts before a state reports a number on Monday. 

For instance, Massachusetts posted a dramatically higher number today and than any other day, and their Monday number was low. Here's their note on it with today's update:

"Please note that today’s reported deaths reflect deaths occurring over the weekend and the past 24 hours. DPH receives reports of deaths from more than one source that are then matched to laboratory confirmed cases and reported out as quickly as possible. See table below for details."

In the 96 deaths, one female in her 40's with an underlying medical condition, three males and a female in their 50's with no known medical conditions. Everyone else was over 60, which is what every day pretty much looks like for them.

The daily data seems very noisy and filled with measurement error, both at the state reporting level, and at the web scraping level (like worldometers). For the former, there seem to be time/date cutoff errors as well as uncertainty and across-state heterogeneity in how one classifies something as a COVID death.  For the latter, I suspect there is some double counting because multiple sources are being used.  As a result, you will see sometimes significant differences in daily fluctuations across, say, worldometers and the COVID tracking project.  

I'm not complaining because these folks have a Herculean task. I just don't read that much into daily fluctuations (up or down) as I used to.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Load this summer will be down if the C&I doesn't come back to near capacity/forecast, and it almost surely doesn't matter how heavily the resi-side uses. 

March, April, and potentially May of 2020 will be the highest residential loads, for those months, in ERCOT history. It still won't make a dent with so much C&I knocked out. It would be a great time to be a residential-oriented REP in Texas because power costs are so low and usage is so high. It's a dream scenario but for the moratorium on disconnects, which will lead to higher bad debt than forecasted for most of the electricity businesses. So, you really want to be a resi-based REP with a great average utility score within your base right now. 

For customers, everyone should prepare for significantly higher than expected electricity bills for the next 3 months of usage. March and April usage, along with November, are the lowest residential power usage periods in ERCOT, so most people are subconsciously going to be expecting a certain bill range and will be surprised when it's higher. This will lead to oddly unseasonal switching for lower prices. January, June-Sept see 75% of the switches in Texas for various established REPs, so this will be another unintended consequence that I'm betting will be studied due to this virus' impact on society.  

So watch your cornhole on your power bill and don't be afraid to switch if you're current with what you owe. There will probably amnesty granted on early termination fees if the PUC hears enough about it in this bizarre time. Also, with suppressed C&I usage, pricing on the grid could be shockingly low for the summer period if that's the case. Could actually be a boon for customers who switch during a seasonally regular period when their contract comes up. I'm guessing strips of summer power have come off of ridiculous forward-pricing in dramatic ways because of this. If they haven't, the traders are just holding off until someone capitulates and undercuts the market in order to shed position.

Unless of course you live under the austin fucking energy monopoly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I’ve dried her jeans, broken a plate, and refused to buy sugarless snacks at the store. I’m ridding myself of chores one “accident” at a time. 

I broke an ornament on accident several years ago and was relieved of my Christmas tree decorating duties.  A light clicked on that day, gentlemen.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The daily data seems very noisy and filled with measurement error, both at the state reporting level, and at the web scraping level (like worldometers). For the former, there seem to be time/date cutoff errors as well as uncertainty and across-state heterogeneity in how one classifies something as a COVID death.  For the latter, I suspect there is some double counting because multiple sources are being used.  As a result, you will see sometimes significant differences in daily fluctuations across, say, worldometers and the COVID tracking project.  

I'm not complaining because these folks have a Herculean task. I just don't read that much into daily fluctuations (up or down) as I used to.  

For sure. I’ve been posting about it for a few weeks but who can keep up with this thread? My thoughts are in line with yours. I do think watching them each day is helpful in understanding the ebb and flow better. 

I also agree that the work they’re all doing to actually provide this information across cities, states, honest countries and the scrapers is really helpful and not easy. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Folks have been wearing ou gear for years

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For sure. I’ve been posting about it for a few weeks but who can keep up with this thread? My thoughts are in line with yours. I do think watching them each day is helpful in understanding the ebb and flow better. 

I also agree that the work they’re all doing to actually provide this information across cities, states, honest countries and the scrapers is really helpful and not easy. 

all we can really count on is Aussie's/New Zealand, western european countries(Italy scrubbing the old folks homes was a head scratcher but maybe not intentional)a few Eastern Euros , probably SKorea, even Japan looks like they were gaming it a bit for the olympics.

In regards to US I think it would be fairly simple to get head of every state to have a person at each hospital report daily to a state level coordinator and them to the feds.  maybe that is the CDC number but not sure.  how many hospitals in Texas these days? maybe you could limit and not include county hospitals in the hinterlands.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It seems to me that the data tend to settle down about 3-4 days out. 

The two people in our extended family who we were totally sure had it, fit all the symptoms, had worrying comorbidities, etc both ended up testing negative (twice). At this point it’s still pretty damn rare (unless you live in a hot spot or are in healthcare).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does anyone do a rolling 3 day avg to smooth out the data?  

I made a crude attempt using Worldometer numbers to come up with a rolling five-day projection for deaths based on the new case count for the US and it tracks pretty well within a ballpark range.

Left column is the number of recorded new cases each day.

Middle column is the number of recorded deaths each day.

Right column the predicted number of deaths for that day, using a cfr of 5.2126% which is what it was from March 6 through April 2. Not perfect, but it parallels pretty well.

Given the numbers they've put out so far, we should expect a ballpark figure of around 7,800 new deaths by Sunday evening, based on the new case count from April 3 to today.

Y'all are more than welcome to copy/pasta the below into your own spreadsheet to tweek it and come up with something better.

Cases/Day Deaths/Day Deaths 5-day lag
3/6 98    
3/7 116    
3/8 106    
3/9 163    
3/10 290    
3/11 307 8 5
3/12 329 3 6
3/13 553 7 6
3/14 587 9 8
3/15 843 12 15
3/16 983 18 16
3/17 1,748 23 17
3/18 2,853 40 29
3/19 4,582 56 31
3/20 5,588 49 44
3/21 4,825 46 51
3/22 9,400 113 91
3/23 10,189 141 149
3/24 11,075 225 239
3/25 13,355 247 291
3/26 17,244 268 252
3/27 18,691 400 490
3/28 19,452 525 531
3/29 19,913 363 577
3/30 20,297 558 696
3/31 24,742 912 899
4/1 26,473 1,049 974
4/2 29,874 974 1,014
4/3 32,284 1,045 1,038
4/4 34,196 1,330 1,058
4/5 25,316 1,165 1,290
4/6 30,331 1,255 1,380
4/7 28,273 1,913 1,557
4/8     1,683
4/9     1,783
4/10     1,320
4/11     1,581
4/12     1,474
Edited by bolverk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

That's fine.  Just so long as he and his family don't gather in the parks this weekend.

Could be a problem.  I heard he hangs out with 12 guys and a hot prostitute.

Edited by Horn80

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ll go ahead and sub this for the the bat signal, but Junior Miller is on the confirmed cases thread blaming his wife for infecting him and opining about a murder suicide for her not practicing social distance. Everyone should go take a peek. 

That guy is a real fucking idiot.  Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ll go ahead and sub this for the the bat signal, but Junior Miller is on the confirmed cases thread blaming his wife for infecting him and opining about a murder suicide for her not practicing social distance. Everyone should go take a peek. 

He's left enough bread crumbs behind to make him pretty easy to doxx...or for us to puzzle out his real name after he pulls the Phil Hartman's wife routine. Or maybe he is known to some of y'all already. 

Yeah, that’s a rare, top-level mental breakdown going on there.

Our worldometer recap

We all saw today was gonna be rough when NY came out with 730 on their own.

They actually had 2000 fewer cases than yesterday and as a country we’re under 30k cases for basically every day besides 2 since April 1. Starting to get flat line there. There’s even a tick on April 4th which is good.

18106ee253e233704c07eda2de707e7e.jpg
Nothing stands out from the usual suspect of states from yesterday outside of NYs 2k case difference.

• Like 2

The two people in our extended family who we were totally sure had it, fit all the symptoms, had worrying comorbidities, etc both ended up testing negative (twice). At this point it’s still pretty damn rare (unless you live in a hot spot or are in healthcare).
Are the tests 100%?

5 hours ago, Deej said:

I've been having good luck with Amazon Fresh by ordering in the middle of the night

This is how we’ve been getting HEB curbside in reasonable fashion. 2 days ago, there wasn’t a slot even available. Next night my wife was up and tried them in middle of night, just picked up. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away