Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

16 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

They chose to do neither purchase new or use some $$ from NYC’s annual $90,000,000,000 budget to maintain.

Bureaucracy has failed NYC

Meh. These are unprecedented times. I'm going to cut everyone a little slack for not being prepared for a once-in-a-millennium problem.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Meh. These are unprecedented times. I'm going to cut everyone a little slack for not being prepared for a once-in-a-millennium problem.

Yeah it's our nature, reactive instead of proactive.  Problem is I wonder if this is going to be a once in a millennium issue going forward.  At least we now have a road map for things we need on have on hand .... loads and loads of fucking toilet paper !!!!!!  5 rolls per customer limit of course.

• Like 2

NY Post: Anthony Fauci compares race disparities of coronavirus to AIDS epidemic

Spoiler

Anthony Fauci compares race disparities of coronavirus to AIDS epidemic
By Steven Nelson April 7, 2020 | 8:22pm    | Updated
how the gay community responded to this outbreak

Close
Sign up for our special edition newsletter to get a daily update on the coronavirus pandemic.
MORE ON:
ANTHONY FAUCI
Argument erupts between Fauci, Trump aide over coronavirus drug
Dr. Fauci tests negative for the coronavirus
Dr. Fauci says it's likely coronavirus will become 'seasonal'
Coach K calls Anthony Fauci 'America's point guard' in coronavirus fight
White House coronavirus task force member Anthony Fauci said Tuesday that the coronavirus outbreak’s disproportionate death toll among black Americans reminds him of HIV/AIDS largely impacting gay people.

“I couldn’t help sitting there reflecting about sometimes when you’re in the middle of a crisis, like we are now with the coronavirus, it really does… ultimately shine a very bright light on some of the real weaknesses and foibles in our society,” Fauci said Tuesday at a White House press conference.

Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984, said “as some of you know the greater proportion of my professional career has been defined by HIV/AIDS.”

He continued: “And if you go back then during that period of time when there was extraordinary stigma particularly against the gay community.

“And it was only when the world realized how the gay community responded to this outbreak with incredible courage and dignity and strength and activism —I think that really changed some of the stigma against the gay community. Very much so.”

Enlarge ImageDr. Anthony Fauci
AP Photo/Alex Brandon
African-Americans dying at greater rates from COVID-19 could be a similar moment, he said.

“I see a similarity here because health disparities have always existed for the African-American community,” Fauci said.

“Here again with the crisis, how it’s shining a bright light on how unacceptable that is because, yet again, when you have a situation like the coronavirus they are suffering disproportionately.

SEE ALSO 

NYC, state vow to release coronavirus data along racial lines
“As Dr. Birx said correctly, it’s not that they are getting infected more often, it’s that when they do get infected their underlying medical conditions — the diabetes, hypertension, the obesity, the asthma — those are the kind of things that wind them up in the ICU and ultimately give him a higher death rate.”

Fauci said, “when all this is over and, as we said, it will end, we will get over coronavirus, but there will still be health disparities which we really do need to address in the African American community.”

The respiratory virus has infected nearly 400,000 US residents and killed almost 13,000.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) responded to data indicating higher minority death tolls by calling for coronavirus legislation to consider reparations.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Imperfect Foods.  They deliver "ugly" produce and have expanded to other items including dairy, meat, etc.  Selection varies depending on the week and your ability to pick & choose opens up about 3 days before your order is set to arrive.

Eat their stuff as soon as you can. We ordered for a few months and seems like it went bad pretty damn quick. As for the produce, it looks like what really comes out of your garden vs. the supermodel tomatoes of HEB. 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Eat their stuff as soon as you can. We ordered for a few months and seems like it went bad pretty damn quick. As for the produce, it looks like what really comes out of your garden vs. the supermodel tomatoes of HEB. 

Probably tastes better too

8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Uganda Police not fucking around. We need more of this. My local basketball court had 12-15 kids out there playing this evening. (no idea where he is from, but love the message) 

your local park dept should be removing the basketball rims from the backboard. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Probably tastes better too

Some did. The avocados always sucked. I would use them again for winter veggies, not summer. They did have some good snacks and such. Daughter loved some of that stuff and it was easy to let her go through the list and add a few items since I always forgot to get dried mandarins when I went shopping. 

37 minutes ago, NoName said:

NY Post: Anthony Fauci compares race disparities of coronavirus to AIDS epidemic

Reveal hidden contents

Close
Sign up for our special edition newsletter to get a daily update on the coronavirus pandemic.
MORE ON:
ANTHONY FAUCI
White House coronavirus task force member Anthony Fauci said Tuesday that the coronavirus outbreak’s disproportionate death toll among black Americans reminds him of HIV/AIDS largely impacting gay people.

“I couldn’t help sitting there reflecting about sometimes when you’re in the middle of a crisis, like we are now with the coronavirus, it really does… ultimately shine a very bright light on some of the real weaknesses and foibles in our society,” Fauci said Tuesday at a White House press conference.

Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984, said “as some of you know the greater proportion of my professional career has been defined by HIV/AIDS.”

He continued: “And if you go back then during that period of time when there was extraordinary stigma particularly against the gay community.

“And it was only when the world realized how the gay community responded to this outbreak with incredible courage and dignity and strength and activism —I think that really changed some of the stigma against the gay community. Very much so.”

AP Photo/Alex Brandon
African-Americans dying at greater rates from COVID-19 could be a similar moment, he said.

“I see a similarity here because health disparities have always existed for the African-American community,” Fauci said.

“Here again with the crisis, how it’s shining a bright light on how unacceptable that is because, yet again, when you have a situation like the coronavirus they are suffering disproportionately.

SEE ALSO 

“As Dr. Birx said correctly, it’s not that they are getting infected more often, it’s that when they do get infected their underlying medical conditions — the diabetes, hypertension, the obesity, the asthma — those are the kind of things that wind them up in the ICU and ultimately give him a higher death rate.”

Fauci said, “when all this is over and, as we said, it will end, we will get over coronavirus, but there will still be health disparities which we really do need to address in the African American community.”

The respiratory virus has infected nearly 400,000 US residents and killed almost 13,000.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) responded to data indicating higher minority death tolls by calling for coronavirus legislation to consider reparations.

No politics? lol

38 minutes ago, NoName said:

Hide contents

Close
MORE ON:
ANTHONY FAUCI

AP Photo/Alex Brandon

SEE ALSO 

Did they just slide that last line in there to see if anyone is paying attention?

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

DeBlasio yes and I bet a shit ton of the bureaucracy. NYC has about a $90,000,000,000 budget, per year. If they auctioned them they should have used funds to buy newer models.
They didn’t. It is relevant because they auctioned them and didn’t get new ones.
I said before that a lot of this will show how our bureaucracy kills. I think it has.

I deleted my post because I realized what I said was wrong. I got caught with the "2006" in your tagline.

I do find it interesting that your post is getting posrepped. If someone similarly pointed out the federal government's failings, which are objectively far greater than selling some old vents years ago, this thread would be crying and moaning like usual. In fact, I'm sure there will be whining about this post. And yet, cheap, barely relevant, thinly veiled political potshots like yours are encouraged. Very interesting.
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

why is jimmy getting negged for this post?  it is not political.

Because saying "Trump is blowing it" is about as political as it fucking gets. It's a political comment. Even JimmyJazz came back in the thread and admitted it was a political comment and he posted in the wrong thread, apologized, and that it was too late to delete it. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This is correct 100%.  No one could have seen this coming.  Unfortunately most people will agree with this for people they support but say the opposite for people the don’t.  It’s just the idiocy of the human race.  Bunch of fucking Monday Morning Quarterbacks on both sides.  

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I deleted my post because I realized what I said was wrong. I got caught with the "2006" in your tagline.

I do find it interesting that your post is getting posrepped. If someone similarly pointed out the federal government's failings, which are objectively far greater than selling some old vents years ago, this thread would be crying and moaning like usual. In fact, I'm sure there will be whining about this post. And yet, cheap, barely relevant, thinly veiled political potshots like yours are encouraged. Very interesting.

You sound like you are crying. Just know that I am here for you. I feel your pain. And if you are stricken by the corona, I will make sure that your mother is well taken care of.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Local/County discussions allowed per the Big Mans rules. 

Do you even surly? Supermodel tomatoes only.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

IHME now projects 60,000 US deaths. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Great news. Social distancing seems to have been followed more than people anticipated.

On a related note, just got back from a dog walk and I noticed that my neighbor a few doors down has their maid there today. She drives one of those colorful cars advertising the corporate cleaning services. I get wanting a clean house and supporting your housekeeper but how can you allow someone in your house right now? Especially someone that is presumably in other people's houses each day?  Even if you avoided getting close to you maid, if she has COVID, the virus will most likely be on every surface in the house.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Under that revised model we hit 50,000 by April 28th. 

Ha!  Turnabout is fair play?

Anyway, I for one am glad to see those numbers being revised down.  The next 3 weeks are still going to suck though.

Edited by utee94

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

What is actually interesting about it? There's a thread for all of it, that is where it should go, I'm sure a bunch of us are in total agreement with you. Why can't you just type that out, report the post, and be done with it instead of this stupid passive aggressive shit? 

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Meanwhile, in Iran!

Unfortunately, Iran is one of the worst countries equipped to handle this pandemic. Most of it has to do with the the Iranian mindset - distrust of the government, preference to lie and cover up rather than act transparently and an unwillingness to adhere to the rule of law. Sprinkle in Islamic fanaticism by those who practice it, like licking the walls of mosques and mobs forcing their way into shrines, and it results in the disaster that is happening there.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

5 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Thanks for posting this. Interesting numbers for DC since the Mayor was saying Peak would be a few weeks from now. And yeah, next few weeks are going to suck. 

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Ha!  Turnabout is fair play?

Anyway, I for one am glad to see those numbers being revised down.  The next 3 weeks are still going to suck though.

I hope the revisions are accurate. It would be great to know that our actions have been effective. But, we still need to ramp up testing in order to have an end game strategy (test, identify, isolate).

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

I think through May is doable. It hopefully begins to open up a bit after Memorial Day. I don’t know that most people can do it for any longer than that.

I worry that when deaths and new cases start to go down, people will slowly stop social distancing.  And this messaging is that both will start to drop within a week.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away