Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Yep.  That's the information they gave me.  I'm guessing folks like me and you who've had viral symptoms over the past couple months will start flocking to this test once word gets out.  If anything, it's more good information for our community to have on number of people infected, since they hadn't been doing testing on the front end for most of us who don't exhibit severe symptoms requiring hospitalization. 
Good deal. They didn't tell me anything, and I felt like an idiot driving aimlessly around this empty parking lot.

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:
5 minutes ago, South Austin said:
Yep.  That's the information they gave me.  I'm guessing folks like me and you who've had viral symptoms over the past couple months will start flocking to this test once word gets out.  If anything, it's more good information for our community to have on number of people infected, since they hadn't been doing testing on the front end for most of us who don't exhibit severe symptoms requiring hospitalization. 

Good deal. They didn't tell me anything, and I felt like an idiot driving aimlessly around this empty parking lot.

I'm sure they were all pointing and laughing.

• Like 1

The government is doing almost as much good as what FEMA & GLO did with the thousands of trailers that were purchased for those that lost their housing after Harvey, but I digress.

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/almost-fema-trailers-rvs-sit-unused-in-beeville-w-video/article_80e2bc5c-38e8-11e8-9b91-07c43f9ffa20.html

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep, the guy who owns the restaurant next door to my studio is Salvadoran. His dairy farmer, father back home, is dumping all his milk because he has no buyers right now, and you can't not milk the cows.

Just because you see big teets doesn't mean you have to pull them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

So is Remedy the place that's doing the antibody testing? Pretend I'm your grandpa that has no idea what's going on

Hey gramps, you know you can use your phone to send me a message. You don't have to call me every 15 minutes. And I know you don't like the assisted living center, but it is for your own good. The neighbors kept calling the police every time you wandered the neighborhood in your underwear. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ChiTown thanks again for everything you do and for providing a sober voice from the front lines on this. 

It seems to be that antibodies/convalescent plasma treatment is a reasonable way forward here. Know JH and Mayo are all over that. Are you guys seeing anything on that re: results and timing?

Oh, and you know, OU still sucks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stork642 said:

This is correct 100%.  No one could have seen this coming.  Unfortunately most people will agree with this for people they support but say the opposite for people the don’t.  It’s just the idiocy of the human race.  Bunch of fucking Monday Morning Quarterbacks on both sides.  

There’s quite a bit of people that saw it coming though. Maybe not this specific one, but I certainly thought I’d see a global pandemic at least once in my lifetime. You never watched Discovery channel or sci-fi movies?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

agreed or funding solar panel ventures

Edit: or stop/greatly reduce funding WHO

that comes out to ~$550m or 14.x% of it's budget.

http://open.who.int/2018-19/contributors/contributor

for comparison that is about 0.0125% of the United States budget.

if one of your major takeaways from this whole thing is to focus on 0.0125% of the total US FY budget you should absolutely apply to work for the United States government, because why focus on savings in the big dollar areas when you can focus on savings in the tiny areas?!

Spoiler

[POTUS] was asked what he meant by calling the WHO "China-centric."

"I don't know, they seem to come down on the side of China," [POTUS] replied. "'Don't close your borders to China,' they don't report what's really going on. They didn't see it, and yet they were there, they didn't see what was going on in Wuhan. They didn't see it. How do you not see it? They didn't report it. They must have seen it, but they didn't report it."

The WHO has opposed travel bans, mainly due to the economic damage they cause.

also on the high end, an F35B costs ~$122m, that comes out to a whopping 0.0027% of the FY19 US budget! as a part of the military budget, that comes out to 0.0336% of the military's budget. 

1 minute ago, NoName said:

if one of your major takeaways from this whole thing is to focus on 0.0125% of the total US FY budget you should absolutely apply to work for the United States government, because why focus on savings in the big dollar areas when you can focus on savings in the tiny areas?!

Reveal hidden contents

"I don't know, they seem to come down on the side of China," [POTUS] replied. "'Don't close your borders to China,' they don't report what's really going on. They didn't see it, and yet they were there, they didn't see what was going on in Wuhan. They didn't see it. How do you not see it? They didn't report it. They must have seen it, but they didn't report it."

also on the high end, an F35B costs ~$122m, that comes out to a whopping 0.0027% of the FY19 US budget! as a part of the military budget, that comes out to 0.0336% of the military's budget. 

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

Reveal hidden contents

funding the WHO gets us absolutely jack shit in return every year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm expecting this once in a millennium problem to be sort of like the once in 500 year flood that happens every year in Houston

We definitely need to expect more of this in the near future, and more often.  The world isn't going to be less connected in 2023 than it is today.

And I guess people aren't going to stop biting off live bat heads either.  We should have taken our fair warning when Ozzy was doing it decades ago.

1 hour ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

In my area of the 210, the nearest HEB was able to complete my order yesterday @ 9am. I am assuming they received a shipment yesterday morning, if I strike out on huevos and leche, then I go to CVS on Wednesdays,  since my local one restocks on that day.

Every time slot for both curbside and delivery for the next 2 weeks at my HEB is filled. Same for the one further from my home. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury to avoid going to the grocery store.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

We definitely need to expect more of this in the near future, and more often.  The world isn't going to be less connected in 2023 than it is today.

And I guess people aren't going to stop biting off live bat heads either.  We should have taken our fair warning when Ozzy was doing it decades ago.

Ozzy has antibodies for pretty much everything at this point.

21 minutes ago, JBJ said:

My model doesn't rely on the assumption that testing is up-to-date or capture every case, so I doubt professional models would.

Inadequate medical care has the potential to be a large number of deaths. The only other thing changing the ultimate number of deaths would be the mortality rate of the virus or the critical population size (therefore ultimate number of people infected) being change in their model.  The only thing SIP is doing is slowing it down.

Herd resistance develops as the cases spread so slowing down cases also slows down the development of herd resistance.

I get all of that.  I just don't see this stopping at 60,000 + unless we are willing to keep doing everything we are doing now for 12-18 months (vaccine) or some awesome mitigating treatment.  I think that report is doing disservice or its writers have made some assumptions on death rates that are not public knowledge. 

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

There’s quite a bit of people that saw it coming though. Maybe not this specific one, but I certainly thought I’d see a global pandemic at least once in my lifetime. You never watched Discovery channel or sci-fi movies?

Sure we know there will be a catastrophic earthquake that will hit the west coast but we don’t know exactly when or exactly where so there is only so much that can be done ahead of time.  Doesn’t mean we don’t plan for it but the devastation will be enormous either way.  And inevitably there will be a bunch of jackasses on both sides claiming their side was right but the other was wrong.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

If only raw milk could be made into other products.  Just in case you didn't read the story I posted here is what the industry is begging the USDA to do with the billions that got appropriated to them thru the CARES act:

Seven of Wisconsin’s largest farm groups have asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture to use its extensive purchasing power, and the emergency COVID-19 money, to buy dry milk, butter and cheese that normally would be going to restaurants and the food-service industry.

Macroeconomic civilization construct.

That's political.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

my home county (in texas, population of about 100k) stopped testing today, no more test kits. county health dept had no idea when they'd get more test kits 

It’s fine.

We plateaued.

We are opening back up soon.

33 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You're not supposed to be BUYING groceries at all.  You should be growing and harvesting all of your own produce.  You should also be ranching all of your own cattle and keeping chickens and pigs in your yard.

Also, you should not be drinking ANY milk at all, unless you are an infant or toddler.

I have learned all of this right here on the surly.

I also built my house with my own two hands, so

12 hours ago, bluto said:

Upping the drinking?

I actually tried to give up drinking for Lent. I was doing fine until my third day at home. Going grocery shopping: "No bleach. No eggs. No flour. No milk. But plenty of booze..."

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I get all of that.  I just don't see this stopping at 60,000 + unless we are willing to keep doing everything we are doing now for 12-18 months (vaccine) or some awesome mitigating treatment.  I think that report is doing disservice or its writers have made some assumptions on death rates that are not public knowledge. 

I don't buy 60,000 deaths either.

Just now, Rimbo said:

I actually tried to give up drinking for Lent. I was doing fine until my third day at home. Going grocery shopping: "No bleach. No eggs. No flour. No milk. But plenty of booze..."

FYI, I know you might have been joking but Lowes has bleach in the pool area most times.  its at a higher concentration than normal bleach but you can adjust by using.....wait for it....MATHS!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

been telling people, dont go to the fucking grocery store. Have ur shit delivered. Wipe down only stuff that needs to be fridged

Look man, the idea was to flatten the curve, not invert that mother fucker. Unless we want to be holed up for eternity, some of us have to get out there and maintain infection rates.

Pretty fucking simple.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You're not supposed to be BUYING groceries at all.  You should be growing and harvesting all of your own produce.  You should also be ranching all of your own cattle and keeping chickens and pigs in your yard.

Also, you should not be drinking ANY milk at all, unless you are an infant or toddler.

I have learned all of this right here on the surly.

Dammit, you mean I've been milking the cat for nothing?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away