Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So, this will probably sound like a weird scenario, but does anyone have anything new around the efficacy and risks for the use of hydroxychloroquine? A business that SydneyCarton and I are in now has access to delivering the drug via IV.

Is there any proof that it has value as a prophylactic, like Tamiflu for flus? Everytime one of my kids or wife comes down with the flu, and inevitably because of schedules, one usually does each year due to not having the shot like the rest of them, I just text my brother and he gets me a Tamiflu prescription. I then start taking that immediately and never get the flu. There was talk early on that this could work in this way, but I haven't seen anything positive lately. 

I'm not an idiot, contrary to what some here may believe, and won't be willy nilly taking it. I'm just curious if there's new data on it, or if a doctor wants to beg us civilians off of it. I'll also be asking my brother and a couple of business partners/friends that are MDs about it as well. I'm just kind of surprised by the sudden availability. I know doctors had been taking it as a prophylactic around this time a month ago, but I'm not sure how that worked out, either.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/popiel/2869153

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This fall just isn't happening. You have companies, governments, universities, health systems, etc. all partnering up, and even their PR people are saying 12-18 months. And then there's the logistics. Maybe we can save football season in 2021.

Yeah....but a man can hope.

I mean it would really help if we actually did a REAL lock down. 

I know we're affecting the curb...we're obviously having an impact.  But man there's still so much day to day traffic and still so many businesses/activities that are going on like nothing is happening, that we'll just keep doing this  until we have reached herd immunity.

A real solid lock down/quarantine(not this weak SiP crap) would probably knock this out in a couple of weeks and we'd be back to normal MUCH quicker.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So, this will probably sound like a weird scenario, but does anyone have anything new around the efficacy and risks for the use of hydroxychloroquine? A business that SydneyCarton and I are in now has access to delivering the drug via IV.

Is there any proof that it has value as a prophylactic, like Tamiflu for flus? Everytime one of my kids or wife comes down with the flu, and inevitably because of schedules, one usually does each year due to not having the shot like the rest of them, I just text my brother and he gets me a Tamiflu prescription. I then start taking that immediately and never get the flu. There was talk early on that this could work in this way, but I haven't seen anything positive lately. 

I'm not an idiot, contrary to what some here may believe, and won't be willy nilly taking it. I'm just curious if there's new data on it, or if a doctor wants to beg us civilians off of it. I'll also be asking my brother and a couple of business partners/friends that are MDs about it as well. I'm just kind of surprised by the sudden availability. I know doctors had been taking it as a prophylactic around this time a month ago, but I'm not sure how that worked out, either.

Not sure as a prophylactic, but ICU docs are saying it's not helping in severe cases

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/no-miraculous-recovery-some-icu-doctors-say-hydroxychloroquine-isn-t-n1177556

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Are you talking about every woman I ever dated?

The guy I'm talking about is in his 70's now.  Call him your wife at your own peril.  I've know him and his family for 40 years or so and I'm still a little scared of him.  He always has a smile but it's a bat shit crazy smile.

1 minute ago, Loco said:

The guy I'm talking about is in his 70's now.  Call him your wife at your own peril.  I've know him and his family for 40 years or so and I'm still a little scared of him.  He always has a smile but it's a bat shit crazy smile.

I only fail to impress women.

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't even know where to start with this. Is there a doctor involved in this business? Hydroxychloroquine is a prescription drug, not just something that you throw into an IV cocktail to turn a profit because a business opportunity popped up.

And to answer your question about a prophylactic benefit, I'm not aware of any published study that shows that. There are a couple of trials that will be looking at that, but so far we don't even know if HCQ helps people who actually have COVID, let alone prophylaxis for those who don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

One thing I have not heard from anyone at a state or national level on the  mitigation front is reduction of co morbidity factors.  Since it looks like we will have many months at this, there are a lot of people that can lose weight, drop blood pressure through good habits and less al-kee-hol, improve lung strength, reduce stress etc.  Many cases of type II diabetes can also be lessened if not actually be cured with the right combination of diet and exercise.

Of course this is going to have to come from a lifer, no politician (no cr) would dare even suggest this kiss of death.

Yep.  A lot of people with no money are going to reduce their stress.   

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Not sure as a prophylactic, but ICU docs are saying it's not helping in severe cases

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/no-miraculous-recovery-some-icu-doctors-say-hydroxychloroquine-isn-t-n1177556

Thanks. That's good to know and it's interesting that they still think there's hope for it early on or ahead of getting the virus. I think my plan then is to get the drug administered, then go casually strolling through a local COVID ward breathing as deeply as I can. I'll then report back to the board with results after that.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....one of my absolute greatest weaknesses is French women.  Seriously, all of them.  The attitude, the accent.  It kills me.  I will die with one of my greatest regrets being that I never even dated one.  Sigh.

I made out with a Frenchie that was in town on a Rotary Int’l trip to TX when I was my club’s president.   Gracious guests those frenchies.  

and before any of you jackwagons ask, yes, she was of age and had already graduated from college and was a flutist in the Paris Symphony 

Edited by Trey3216

Just now, closetojumping said:

Thanks. That's good to know and it's interesting that they still think there's hope for it early on or ahead of getting the virus. I think my plan then is to get the drug administered, then go casually strolling through a local COVID ward breathing as deeply as I can. I'll then report back to the board with results after that.

Where'd you see the evidence of it being useful as a prophylactic? All I've seen is that they're running scientific studies on it's efficacy without results yet. 

But good luck with that, I guess. 

6 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I don't even know where to start with this. Is there a doctor involved in this business? Hydroxychloroquine is a prescription drug, not just something that you throw into an IV cocktail to turn a profit because a business opportunity popped up.

I asked for some honest thoughts/news around a subject, and I got some. I didn't need or merit a presumptive finger wag assuming I'm going to be doing some stupid cowboy shit with a business and, heaven forbid, making money. I didn't indicate doing something from a business use standpoint, nor is there a plan or consideration in that regard. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

this all makes my thoughts take a very dark turn. as in... if things continue as is 'indefinitely', if you're locked in your house, you can't see friends, family, travel, entertainment, go to the beach or a lake or a park, eventually even online and broadcast entertainment will be exhausted, you can only rewatch the Sopranos so many times....like, eventually...what's the point? 

i know that's extreme. but it's not beyond the realm of possibility. 

i need to get out of my own head 😐

If you think you can exhaust the scope of streaming entertainment for television alone, not even including movies, then jesus man, the only conclusions I can come to are that you don't actually know how to subscribe to netflix/hulu/disney+ et al. 

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Where'd you see the evidence of it being useful as a prophylactic? All I've seen is that they're running scientific studies on it's efficacy without results yet. 

But good luck with that, I guess. 

It was a joke. They allude to it in that article but don't promote it as a sure thing. From reading it and some other stuff I've now read, it seems like it's a non-starter. Thanks for the link.

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Is there any chance things are back to normal in 2020? I see people talking about May, June, July and I don't get it, but I'm also a moron. Won't this virus just keep shitting on us until there is an extremely effective treatment or vaccine developed?

Posted many pages ago but still think this is a reasonable expectation:

Apr 30: Nationwide stay-at-Home ends, cdc provides updated guidance on social distancing by geography, mass gatherings still prohibited everywhere.

May 24: Many lesser affected areas remove all restrictions; elderly and immunocompromised still advised to stay home nationwide

Jun 30: Successful treatment is established/standardized, all restrictions lifted except in hot spots.  Testing (both antibody and infection) finally readily available everywhere.

Jul 4: MLB season begins

Nov 30: Several new hot spots pop up, full quarantine implemented immediately 

Jan 31, 2021: vaccines available in limited supply

Mar 15, 2021: vaccine fully available, new long term normal established

The only change to that I would make is that I think we will see hot spots pop up continually and will be playing whackamole until a vaccine is ready.  This makes it less likely large gatherings (especially sporting events) happen as normal.  But I do think we will get baseball and football, it just may be modified to account for hotspots.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Back in my late 20s there was a fairly attractive french woman who was all over me despite many other guys pursuing her more than me in my "general social circle". We had sex, and after she made it perfectly clear she wanted to get married so she could stay and nationalise as a US citizen.

I told her I wasn't getting married any time soon to her or anyone.

We kept having sex and she ended up marrying a guy in my general social circle.

I was cool with it and so was she.

It worked out well for both of us. We both smoked and neither were fat.

Not sure how this applies to the topic, but wanted to share anyway.

Look, details, and or pics... preferably both...or you know.... it didn't happen.

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's not new information, and I'm sure you know it already, but to re-iterate most of the articles and anecdotes I've seen that tout the success of hydrochloronique have to specifically have it paired with Zinc, which you isn't a problem for the business. That being said, I'm amazed at how often I read that many people testing this aren't combining it with zinc. It's baffling to me. But yes, everything else seems to support you have to take it early one, but once you're in a hospital or having severe breathing problems it isn't going to do much at all. For whatever that is worth moving forward. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Apr 30: Nationwide stay-at-Home ends, cdc provides updated guidance on social distancing by geography, mass gatherings still prohibited everywhere.

May 24: Many lesser affected areas remove all restrictions; elderly and immunocompromised still advised to stay home nationwide

Jun 30: Successful treatment is established/standardized, all restrictions lifted except in hot spots.  Testing (both antibody and infection) finally readily available everywhere.

The only change to that I would make is that I think we will see hot spots pop up continually and will be playing whackamole until a vaccine is ready.  This makes it less likely large gatherings (especially sporting events) happen as normal.  But I do think we will get baseball and football, it just may be modified to account for hotspots.

Yeah, I think your timeline is pretty reasonable, except I don't see any chance a full quarantine is resumed under any circumstances-- for this virus, or any other.  It's not a tradeoff that's going to be made a second time, this is the one shot.

Definitely agree we'll see hot spots flare up, multiple waves were pretty much a certainty once this outbreak began.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....one of my absolute greatest weaknesses is French women.  Seriously, all of them.  The attitude, the accent.  It kills me.  I will die with one of my greatest regrets being that I never even dated one.  Sigh.

You sound like me but with red heads. 

27 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

And to answer your question about a prophylactic benefit, I'm not aware of any published study that shows that. There are a couple of trials that will be looking at that, but so far we don't even know if HCQ helps people who actually have COVID, let alone prophylaxis for those who don't.

Wait, you mean that it's bad to be offering unlicensed medical treatments without the assistance of a licensed, board certified physician? You don't fucking say?!?! Good thing we have the one and only Dr. Nick Riviera involved. You may have seen him on The Simpsons. Come the fuck on, man. Do you honestly think that we're knocking over pharmacies to get the medicine which requires a prescription from a doctor in this regard? 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you think you can exhaust the scope of streaming entertainment for television alone, not even including movies, then jesus man, the only conclusions I can come to are that you don't actually know how to subscribe to netflix/hulu/disney+ et al. 

i don't even watch tv... i'm probably the only person in the country that hasn't seen Tiger King lol. maybe that's my problem. 

i was speaking metaphorically, duh...as in, Hollywood's as much on lockdown as anyone.

anyways...the discussion of how long this is going to last, how it will never go away, how it will keep popping up every time we try to 'open things up' and how all of this is 'the new normal' just fucked with me for a bit this morning. fucking nevermind, i'll take it to the mental health thread. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait, you mean that it's bad to be offering unlicensed medical treatments without the assistance of a licensed, board certified physician? You don't fucking say?!?! Good thing we have the one and only Dr. Nick Riviera involved. You may have seen him on The Simpsons. Come the fuck on, man. Do you honestly think that we're knocking over pharmacies to get the medicine which requires a prescription from a doctor in this regard? 

how dare you! how dare you try to make money while people are suffering so that you can buy a yacht such that someone could be employed to build said yacht

how dare you!

Yeah, I think your timeline is pretty reasonable, except I don't see any chance a full quarantine is resumed under any circumstances-- for this virus, or any other.  It's not a tradeoff that's going to be made a second time, this is the one shot.
Definitely agree we'll see hot spots flare up, multiple waves were pretty much a certainty once this outbreak began.

I think it’s going to get pushed back a couple of weeks at least and wouldn’t be surprised to see it last until after Memorial Day. Whenever it does get started again, I think there will still be some things that don’t return to normal. I don’t think there will be big sporting events for a while as far as full houses for the stadiums. I think business travel will be discouraged to only essential (whatever that means), and I think that schools won’t be back until next year (August). Nothing really approaches normal until there is a vaccine or test/treatment similar to a strep test/treatment that a GP can diagnose and prescribe.

54 minutes ago, landman said:

So, if you and yours are in the house for two weeks, and your friends are in their house for two weeks (and assuming everyone is doing this) why can't you and your friends get together after the end of two weeks?  Again, everyone is staying in and no possible exposure during the two weeks.

Conversely, having a conversation in the front yard, with everyone maintaining distance, can happen now.

i actually appreciate this, and that's what we hope to do eventually. 

my house being a construction zone is just getting to me. 

my husband is wfh full time (i'm an early retiree)... so once the house is done and no more workers coming and going, we do hope to be able to lock it down completely for two weeks and then maybe get to see some friends for real. 

or head to my dad's ranch in east texas, that sounds like heaven right now.

Just now, El Diablo said:

I know that this is all very real but for some reason it has the feel of a dress rehearsal. Veja du.

It's almost like there's a pretty good distribution of the virus across the country, so if we end social distancing and try to go back to normal before there's a vaccine we'll just be back in the same spot and won't have the willpower to take the measures that got it under control in the first place

Your treatment/vaccine timelines are pretty aggressive. Especially for treatment and mass testing. If there was a tamiflu for covid that would be vetted and widely available by June, there would buzz around it by now. As for testing, we're still at a very low capacity relative to the overall population. It's still pretty restricted. I don't see how that becomes available for all in 90 days. March is extremely optimistic for a vaccine. That'd be really, really goddamn fast.

Also, I highly doubt large sporting event crowds are going to be kosher at any time in 2020. So MLB isn't... JK no one goes to baseball games anyway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

there was never going to be and never will be a full quarantine without military intervention.  If people see dozens of people that they know relatively closely in an area(say a high school zone) get real sick and die they will react accordingly and quarantine themselves.

This is the best you are going to get. the question is really how you handle medium sized places like restaurants/bars, movie theaters, retail, haircut places, grocery stores, etc.

then how do you manage 5000 to 100000 people events/places.

if people want to get in their cars and drive to a store and not get within 6 feet of someone only military/national guard/police combination is going to stop them....unless you want to track their phones and fine them or arrest them later.

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is there money to be made ?

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Don't ask stupid questions if you don't want them answered. Were you expecting the doctors here to tell you to just go ahead and start creating an intravenous product containing unproven COVID cures and throwing that shit on the countertops of every 7-11 in the country next to the five hour energy, complete with a DIY IV drip kit? The fuck did you and CTJ think was going to happen asking such a stupid question?

You guys supposedly have doctors and politicians and all that in your orbit. Why are you asking here? Jesus Christ. 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Is there any proof that it has value as a prophylactic, like Tamiflu for flus?

It is absolutely the case that some doctors have been taking it prophylactically.

https://www.propublica.org/article/doctors-are-hoarding-unproven-coronavirus-medicine-by-writing-prescriptions-for-themselves-and-their-families

Edited by Bruno Sardine
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

so thats why NYC is such a hot zone.  every damn building has 2 or 3 cat ladies.

2 minutes ago, Bruno Sardine said:

I think ChiTownDoc mentioned this being the case sometime mid march.  My guess is there was enough insider knowledge from other countries that it could help and there was no real downside to taking it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

spacer.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bruno Sardine said:

Doctors speculatively taking it as a prophylactic does not demonstrate evidence of clinical efficacy. That is called an anecdote. 

There has not yet been any clinical (or unchallenged anecdotal) data or evidence to show HCQ's efficacy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I broke up with a redhead in France because she wouldn't eat lettuce.

Actually, it wasn't because she wouldn't eat lettuce. It was because she expected us to order her food for her, and then she'd pitch a fit if it had any lettuce in it.  I'm like, order your own damn lettuce-free food. But no, my job was to be Lettuce Patrol. Guess what, je ne suis pas la patrouille de la laitue. It was a pain in the ass, like some hoop she was seeing if I'd jump through. I'd look around the restaurant, there'd be a dozen other perfectly normal lettuce-eatin bitchez in there having a perfectly pleasant time. I didn't need that "Oh I can't eat it there's lettuce in it" shit.

Was she fat?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Some of my greatest sexual experiences...and worst dating experiences have come from Redheads. 

Same here. If I ever trade in my current model it will have to be a non-Redhead or I will just embrace the chaos and find one of them Venezuelan redheads. A South American woman with red hair has got to be the a glorious trainwreck of emotions and sex.

• Like 6

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away