Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

That's just fucking disgusting. Total lowlifes. But not sure why anyone would work for instacart or the other gig deliveries when they can file for unemployment and receive an additional $600 a week in top of state unemployment for four months. Make like $900 a week for sitting in your house versus risking your life in the stores.

I'm sure they'll be able to survive during the 2-3 months before the government gets all of this figured out with regards to gig workers. It's already being reported that people are waiting on their phone for 8 hours or calling 300 times just to get thru to file - and that's just the folks with regular jobs. Gig workers will have a harder time trying to prove loss of income even with 1099s.

That being said - I've thought the same thing. I can easily make over $1000/wk if I want to work 10 hrs a day for 5 days a week (which I did this past week). I know a lady that made $1500 last week from grocery delivery. But it would be hard to pass up just sitting on my ass and collecting the money.

These are the people that are out doing deliveries - the ones that live on daily income and see no relief coming soon.  

Not all of us. Some of us used it only for that little extra to give us some cushion but now are doing it more full-time when the day job income has gone away or been reduced. I'm lucky that my wife is still getting paid despite schools being closed and I still go out to put money in the bank that I'm not really spending. It'll help me get a nice back account for when this is over. Plus it gets me out of the house so I don't go crazy hanging out with the wife and kids 24/7.

i was legit signing up to do this in the area for some extra cash as the wifes hours got cut to zero, then i read you can reduce the tip afterwards  no thanks

Instacart pay is too low which is why people are doing the tip lure. Plus there are a ton of orders available right now so people can pick and choose what they want to do as opposed to only having a few orders available at any one time during normal times.

Shipt has a much higher pay guarantee per order for workers and bonuses for orders that have been waiting longer so they get taken faster. Plus the tips come in AFTER the delivery and tend to be much higher. Right now it is incredibly busy with over 1000 orders pending just in the Austin Metro area at any given time. We make more guaranteed money before tips so that it isn't a complete waste of time when some asshole decides to order $300 worth of groceries that takes 2 hours to shop and deliver - with multiple texting to approve substitute when things are out of stock - and then decides to stiff us on the tip.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Simmer down pharma lawyer.

Lulz. So wrong, but good guess.  No, horrible guess.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You surely recognize that the development and testing of the COVID vaccine will be unlike any other vax development in modern history. People are talking about September roll out and shit now. I am not worried about the 0.001%, I am worried about the 0.1%, or god forbid the 1% SAE. And the indications from animal models that a COV vax may in some cases actually make things worse. Ramping from testing in 1k or 10k or even 50k to administration in 150MM or 1B in compressed time frame is going to be quite interesting. 

Yes, of course.  September is also foolish.   Researchers trying to get attention or funding are the worst people to listen to right now.  

The Gates' are arguing 18 months.  Gottlieb / AEI 24 months.  That's what people need to hear because the population needs to be conditioned to this, not that there will be a magical injection in 5 months so you can go X-mas shopping at the mall.

A vax making things worse will be measured against no vax causing things to be even worse.  That's why the risk-benefit profile will be unique.  If the economy is in the dumper in Q4 and we're operating at 60-70% of capacity as a country, the pressure to approve and roll out immediately will be enormous.  

You are right, there is no similar context for this as an event, but it's not like the first version of any vaccine is the best or the safest - that's what I was getting at relative to context.  Ramping up administration will be interesting, as you noted. Especially since healthcare workers will be one of the first constituent groups to be vaccinated.

There will be more than one vaccine, and each country / region will have to make their own assessments.  What's going to suck is if there is wide disparity on vax approval timing.  If the gap between who approves first and who approves second is 6 months or more, there's going to be some severe party crashing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:
You probably jest, but I was alone in my car, and alone on my bike.  There were maybe a half dozen cars at the trail/park.  I passed or was passed by maybe four riders, generally maintaining 6 foot distance, face-to-face.
I take this pretty seriously and wouldn't do anything purposely to endanger others.

So it's OK for you to be out, but not everyone else?

I didn't say that. Nor was I "upset."

I didn't make any value judgment on the traffic other than to say it's discouraging.  Discouraging in that some of the people driving are no doubt doing it to or from "essential jobs" or other activities where social distancing may not be observed.

Mostly it was the observation that in one county (the more populous one) traffic was very light, in another it was not.  One county has a more rigid shelter in place order than the other.  There's a political element to that that I won't touch.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Yes, of course.  September is also foolish.   Researchers trying to get attention or funding are the worst people to listen to right now.  

The Gates' are arguing 18 months.  Gottlieb / AEI 24 months.  That's what people need to hear because the population needs to be conditioned to this, not that there will be a magical injection in 5 months so you can go X-mas shopping at the mall.

A vax making things worse will be measured against no vax causing things to be even worse.  That's why the risk-benefit profile will be unique.  If the economy is in the dumper in Q4 and we're operating at 60-70% of capacity as a country, the pressure to approve and roll out immediately will be enormous.  

You are right, there is no similar context for this as an event, but it's not like the first version of any vaccine is the best or the safest - that's what I was getting at relative to context.  Ramping up administration will be interesting, as you noted. Especially since healthcare workers will be one of the first constituent groups to be vaccinated.

There will be more than one vaccine, and each country / region will have to make their own assessments.  What's going to suck is if there is wide disparity on vax approval timing.  If the gap between who approves first and who approves second is 6 months or more, there's going to be some severe party crashing.

In the Philippines and similar countries the winning vaccine will be based on who pays the most bribes, so that will be interesting. We will probably get the least effective Chinese vaccine on the market.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

My cousin who is a young preacher in Wolfforth spouting off how stupid all this is. He is why I won't get on the Facebook.

Speaking of Wolfforth Evie Mae's is KILLING it with their curbside pickup. 3 lines of cars at least 30 deep in each line. 

e196d1583337142d9ab8a18fcbaa1ebb.jpg

That is all interesting, but are there any big linemen coming out of Wolfforth these days?

1 minute ago, RayDog said:

In the Philippines and similar countries the winning vaccine will be based on who pays the most bribes, so that will be interesting. We will probably get the least effective Chinese vaccine on the market.

The Russian version will seal up your dickhole, so, you know, be aware.

13 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Sincere apologies. I guess I misread our exchange related to PV a while back. 

15 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

100% agreement. 

Just now, F250 said:

I went for a drive earlier and I think people are startingto go feral. I was driving down a neighborhood road and pulled up to a stop sign.

This attractive woman in her early thirties walks out to her Jeep parked on the road wearing nothing but a blouse. The blouse was long enough to kinda cover the bottom area but as soon as the wind blew it was very revealing and the top didn't really contain the top. Every move she made resulted in one of her boobs popping out of her shirt and the wind kept lifting the bottom portion too. Within a few seconds I saw boobs, butt and the golden triangle. She never attempted to cover up and you could tell she just didn't give a shit.

I was 10 ft away and trying to mentally process what I was witnessing and she just nods at me with no fucks given and walks back inside.

Fucking Brave New World.

Go on

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I went for a drive earlier and I think people are startingto go feral. I was driving down a neighborhood road and pulled up to a stop sign.
This attractive woman in her early thirties walks out to her Jeep parked on the road wearing nothing but a blouse. The blouse was long enough to kinda cover the bottom area but as soon as the wind blew it was very revealing and the top didn't really contain the top. Every move she made resulted in one of her boobs popping out of her shirt and the wind kept lifting the bottom portion too. Within a few seconds I saw boobs, butt and the golden triangle. She never attempted to cover up and you could tell she just didn't give a shit.
I was 10 ft away and trying to mentally process what I was witnessing and she just nods at me with no fucks given and walks back inside.
Fucking Brave New World.
The pics arent showing up.
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, huge said:

For whatever it’s worth I have seen women getting tired of wearing bras in the Montrose area.

I’ll be sure to ram my car off the road to take pics ASAP

Ramming around Montrose involves chicks?

Damn man, H-town has changed in the 20 years since I lived there...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:

That's not a new idea. I'm sure they've explored it. If they were capable of it, it would've happened already. Not to say it never can/will, obviously, but this isn't some ah-ha moment.

Tom Clancy thought of it 25 years ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

And the indications from animal models that a COV vax may in some cases actually make things worse.

This is the concept of a “leaky” vaccine and it has only been seen in coaxed animal models where the attempt was made to try and develop a “leaky” vaccine. It’s highly unlikely in modern vaccine development.

Yes, we need to make sure there is safety and reasonable efficacy but IMO, talk about vaccines making a contagious disease more virulent is scaremongering. The anti vax movement needs no ammo.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WBT said:

Tom Clancy thought of it 25 years ago.

Didn't he write two novels about bio terrorism? One involving Islamic terrorists and another one with domestic eco terrorists. I think the eco terrorists were when the Rainbow Six storyline started.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Fucking Brave New World.

Wait....ok, now tell it again slowly.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

This is the concept of a “leaky” vaccine and it has only been seen in coaxed animal models where the attempt was made to try and develop a “leaky” vaccine. It’s highly unlikely in modern vaccine development.

Yes, we need to make sure there is safety and reasonable efficacy but IMO, talk about vaccines making a contagious disease more virulent is scaremongering. The anti vax movement needs no ammo.

I don't recall ever hearing that term before. Had to google it.  Here is one example of what I am referring to in terms of the animal models. I don't think that this is the leaky vaccine concept you refer to, but I will freely admit I am outside my area of expertise interpreting the animal model data. 

https://www.jimmunol.org/content/181/9/6337

Prior Immunization with Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)-Associated Coronavirus (SARS-CoV) Nucleocapsid Protein Causes Severe Pneumonia in Mice Infected with SARS-CoV

In summary, we demonstrate that the immunization of BALB/c mice with the N protein of SARS-CoV causes severe pulmonary inflammation upon subsequent SARS-CoV infection, probably via the imbalance created between T cell activation and suppression, as well as by massive proinflammatory cytokine production. These results provide new insights into the mechanisms involved in the pathogenesis of SARS and help in the development of safe vaccines.

Edited by Anastasis

2 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Counterpoint: Newy25 says under 12 months is a guarantee because sports.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Fucking Brave New World.

Intersection/address for research purposes please.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Yes, vaccines on the market are generally safe, but that doesn't mean that vaccines in development are generally safe. Plenty of adverse events from anaphylaxis to autoimmune-like responses (immune complex–mediated tissue damage) can occur.

Here is a book to your point, but note that even safe vaccines have some known potential side-effects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK190024/

Fucking Brave New World.

Was she Crona-worthy?
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

I don't know man.  I'm beginning to wonder if we haven't peaked yet.  Even doctors are wondering if what are killing people are their treatment methods.  The reports of lungs exploding are now actually being thought to be caused by putting people on ventilators too fast.  That may be why Cuomo isn't begging for ventilators anymore.  They are seeing less aggressive ventilator treatment may be more effective.  Hell for Houston where I live.  We didn't shut down the rodeo until March 12.  It's a month later.  How is all of Houston not sick or dead by now.  You know of someone who knows someone who was at the rodeo and those someone's went to a bar or a club afterwards.  

So let the Doctors figure it out. We can take the Econ hit. Fuck, we are the United States of America. It takes time for industry to realign, but they are.  We might hate the SEC, but what happens there impacts us all. So Cuomo over asked. Good. That means we can see what is going on. It means Doctors are learning. 

Go open up man, put your team at risk. Deal with telling little Jenny dad or mom is gone cuz you needed your business to be open. I won't.

We can blame the WH/Congress all we want, but this shit goes down to the county level in Texas. And we have a lot of socially elected judges. And really, what matters to our Econ that has been closed? Construction continues, Oil and Gas kept working. So Karen's cupcakes needs to be closed for a few more weeks. I can get margaritas to go and I live in a small town. My farmers market is following the CDC/FDA rules and I made a great veggie stew tonight. Had a few glasses of wine and some drambouie. 

Dear America. You are not Ethiopian or Afghani. You will be OK. Suck it the fuck up. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
scared of the Grammar Police.
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Fucking dipshit. CR maybe. Don't care. When I started this thread my team was already monitoring for almost a month. For anyone to say this came out of no where is full of shit. Every expert is saying this is wrong. Who the fuck is Abbot listening to? 

One thing we need to stop doing is comparing the US with nations in Europe and start looking at individual states vs. countries. 

Texas is going to be the next Italy/Spain unless we get our shit together. Think warm weather is going to end it? Look at the uptick in SE Asia and how bad Ecuador is getting hit. 

Time for a beer. 

LOL, @stork642 negged me. Why man? Why not comment? This is not the CR for Negging on opinion. Want to go there and fucking go into it? This is not the first time you have done this.  

Negging on this thread. Damn man. Go open up your business.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, RayDog said:

and such is life in the developing world. Hey, but at least in the Philippines you have San Miguel. And lumpia. and ho's. 

10 hours ago, F250 said:

Fucking Brave New World.

tumblr_n6z2s4kC0s1riah6uo4_250.gifv 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away