Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Man, if only there was some mechanism that the US had to have its own boots on the ground in China so we didn't have to rely on WHO and China. Because from the tenor of y'all's posts, it seems like but for the dastardly evildoers in China and WHO, we would have reacted perfectly to Rona. 

I don't get the wailing at other nations and global orgs when there is so much that we have failed to do as a nation in our response. Much more robust and energetic talk around how much those unaccountable entities suck, when compared to tacitly banning dissent against the federal response actions and decisions that have real and local impact on us

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 6

29 minutes ago, Hate said:

Some people just really hate the United States. Oh well, it’s their constitutional right.

Who might that be? If you're willing to go on record to make an accusation, you should have the conviction to name a name.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

No. This was gone over earlier.

Jump off the Brooklyn Bridge? Covid. Hit by a subway train? Covid. Meth/STD death in Lubbock ? Covid.  

EVERYTHING now is Covid. It's how we are curing Cancer, Heart Disease, and the Diabeetees.

This is starting to look like it will turn into a money grab by the states that are willing to manipulate the death classifications.  I’m looking at you NY and Michigan.  I guess the stimulus package incentivizes the larger body count.      

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is what happens when you pop in and out of a thread this busy and assume you’re the only person seeing it straight. There’s been a ton of discussion about what has been done well or poorly here, down to a city by city level, as well as overseas. 

The difference between the discussions of such matters on this thread and what posters with this kind of take think, which shows up bizarrely regularly from the same old lot of them, is that no one here is cutting themselves in anguish of how terrible the United States is. Some of us don’t share the same perspective that we fucking suck as a country and are the dumbest pieces of shit on the planet. The whoa is me that we should be more like the fucking bawlers in Europe or the subverted and submissive in southeast Asia is a perverted tune sung by bitches self-selected into the Surly Chorus of Fates. 

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, stork642 said:

This is starting to look like it will turn into a money grab by the states that are willing to manipulate the death classifications.  I’m looking at you NY and Michigan.  I guess the stimulus package incentivizes the larger body count.      

They are literally doing exactly what the CDC has directed. It isn't manipulation, it is an attempt at rationally identifying Covid-19 related deaths based on known information. We do this all the time for other diseases and causes of death, why do you insist we treat Covid-19 differently? If the police come across a body with a bullet-shaped hole in it, in your view is it improper for them to conclude that the person was shot? I don't understand the need to be willfully ignorant of the full extent of the damage that is being done. Don't we need to know that to make rational choices going forward?

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Why don't you go apply to be a New York coroner, and you can tackle their obvious corruption from within?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I’m planning on doing my part for the economy with a vasectomy scheduled on May 8.  I had a glimmer of hope that it won’t be postponed because the urologist’s office called yesterday and told me that my pre-op consult scheduled for April 23 is still on, but will be by televisit.  Shit, hope that doesn’t mean they’ll tell me how to do it myself at home.

With all that fucking you’ve been doing, the vasectomy may be a lot too late.

40 minutes ago, Viper said:

great the glass just fell out of my shower door yesterday and I have to figure out how to fix it. gonna have to find my old camping mask (that will block basically nothing) to be let into the store now?

Did your wife put her suction cup dildo on the glass door instead of the tile? Also, did she fall out with the glass and is she ok?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looks like professional baseball has started up in Taiwan. https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-04-16/professional-baseball-in-taiwan-begins-empty-stadiums-ariel-miranda

Taiwan has been credited with administering one of the world’s best responses to the novel coronavirus. The Central Epidemic Command Center reported just 395 confirmed cases and six deaths since the virus surfaced in Wuhan China, in November. Authorities reported two new cases Wednesday after reporting none Tuesday.

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, the aggressive measures, which included setting up COVID-19 testing at nine facilities by Jan. 24 and swift quarantines, were instrumental in allowing Taiwan to avoid strict lockdown measures. Many schools, restaurants and offices were kept open.

Maybe China should have let the WHO listen to what these people had to say.

Edited by ouflak
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

With all that fucking you’ve been doing, the vasectomy may be a lot too late.

Did your wife put her suction cup dildo on the glass door instead of the tile? Also, did she fall out with the glass and is she ok?

no we found out that me, her, and your wife don't have enough room to maneuver. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Looks like professional baseball has started up in Taiwan. https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-04-16/professional-baseball-in-taiwan-begins-empty-stadiums-ariel-miranda

What I get out of this is....I need to dig my Rakuten Monkeys gear outta the closet and start cheering for my team!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Watching the Monkeys vs. the Guardians live now. Nail biter. 11-10 in the 9th. Two on. One out. 

And yeah, they should have. If anyone has a good intelligence network in China I would trust Taiwans. 

Link to the game. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

So what if China has had a vaccine this whole time and just vaccinated the shit out of all their cities except Wuhan.. like as a test subject city? They could've just told people it was a flu vaccine. 

jim halpert no GIF

35 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

They are literally doing exactly what the CDC has directed. It isn't manipulation, it is an attempt at rationally identifying Covid-19 related deaths based on known information. We do this all the time for other diseases and causes of death, why do you insist we treat Covid-19 differently? If the police come across a body with a bullet-shaped hole in it, in your view is it improper for them to conclude that the person was shot? I don't understand the need to be willfully ignorant of the full extent of the damage that is being done. Don't we need to know that to make rational choices going forward?

because Covid 19/Wuhan China Bat Virus is different, remember?

46 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Man, if only there was some mechanism that the US had to have its own boots on the ground in China so we didn't have to rely on WHO and China. Because from the tenor of y'all's posts, it seems like but for the dastardly evildoers in China and WHO, we would have reacted perfectly to Rona. 

I don't get the wailing at other nations and global orgs when there is so much that we have failed to do as a nation in our response. Much more robust and energetic talk around how much those unaccountable entities suck, when compared to tacitly banning dissent against the federal response actions and decisions that have real and local impact on us

so that's the "feeling" you get from the posts.  color me shocked.

• Like 4

I'm not entirely sure that re-opening the economy actually means much since many businesses never closed to begin with. And while restaurants, bars and malls may elect to re-open, I assume that most customers will stay far far away.

And if there are counties that have barely been impacted, they can roll the dice that covid won't take hold.

I imagine that the large counties won't see any change in terms of businesses re-opening. If Abbott wants to force re-opening then that would be better discussed in other threads.

51 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The presumption that I just pop in and out of this thread without having read its content is insulting. Unfortunately, you seem to allow your emotions to get the better of you, given your tendency to reflexively lash out at others in a tizzy of hysterics and hyperbole. That said, you do have a way with words when you put them in others mouth during a fitful fantasy.

I'm fully aware there were previous discussions, in which I also participated without hurling personal insults, about the nature of our national response. I also recognize they often spun out of control into full-blown CR arguments. But while reading last night, I noticed a trend in the tread toward no longer discussing "current events" but a conversation shifting into something entirely different: one of denial and blame.

It's important to point that out because it directly affects our ability to respond to this crisis, leading into the next months, as well as potential outbreaks in the hopefully distant future.

Bluntly, it didn't appear that you had followed along, specifically for the reasons both I and you have now stated - you were acting as if the discussions regarding the blame game hadn't already occurred, with regularity on the thread. The rest is drivel whining about my whining. 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not entirely sure that re-opening the economy actually means much since many businesses never closed to begin with. And while restaurants, bars and malls may elect to re-open, I assume that most customers will stay far far away.

And if there are counties that have barely been impacted, they can roll the dice that covid won't take hold.

I imagine that the large counties won't see any change in terms of businesses re-opening. If Abbott wants to force re-opening then that would be better discussed in other threads.

Abbott can't force anyone to re-open that is a private business.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Abbott can't force anyone to re-open that is a private business.  

Wasn't implying he could. Thought it would be assumed I meant that he could force counties to remove restrictions. Counties and cities really have very little authority if the state govt has a different opinion.  But ultimately no one can actually force a business to open their doors.

44 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Why don't you go apply to be a New York coroner, and you can tackle their obvious corruption from within?

This is the corona equivalent to "YOUR NOT A COACHEZ??!?!". Just a fucking dipshitted, weak rhetorical turn in the hopes of derailing another's point. 

55 minutes ago, Captainant said:

So, do you have Morrissey playing on a loop before you click onto Surly, or do you click onto Surly first and then start up Meat Is Murder and the like? The order isn't clear to me. I'm fairly certain that step 3 is a slow burn from mewling into violent sobbing. Step 4 is shouting at the screen. Step 5 they take the computer privileges away. First two still haven't quite sorted though.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

59 minutes ago, Captainant said:

My guess is that you're reading this into the tenor of posts, most of which are just pointing out interesting information that challenges the current theories about the origins of this pandemic, because you're all-too eager to bring politics into this. There has been plenty of discussion of the US failures and few people deny them, but these failures in no way are discounted by the discussion of evidence in support of a theory that is different than the current prevailing theory. China can suck really bad and the US can have failed in many ways too. It seems that you read these posts and a fire alarm goes off in your mind that directs you to urgently send out the firefighters. The only problem is that there is no fire.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Captainant has shown himself to be little more than a fellow traveler when it comes views on the Chinese. To say he’s a sympathizer and an apologist would be an understatement. He actively bawled and campaigned for this thread title to change and remove any reference to China for weeks until the admin capitulated after being tired of his whiny shit. If he can undermine the position that China played a role in all of this, he’s damned sure going to do so. 

Also, bolverk can fuck right off for pushing the same bullshit. 

Curious as to how you landed on fellow traveler when useful idiot would have been on point for 1930’s communist terminology while also being more insulting. Is this a kindler gentler CTJ?

37 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Let me start beefing up my resume but just to clarify you are saying that there isn’t a financial incentive in the recently passed stimulus bill that rewards states that have higher body counts?  If this is the case wouldn’t be ripe for corruption?

46 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Of course if someone really dies of CV that death should count but if states are being paid by the body good luck getting an accurate count of CV deaths.  Some states, especially the ones in financial trouble, will use this for an infusion of cash.  

• Like 1

No shit. My wife is taking a vacuum in for repair today. Essential and such.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No shit. My wife is taking a vacuum in for repair today. Essential and such.

That sounds like code for your wife has been blowing a lot of different dudes

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Do you or anyone else have a link to what Abbott has announced? Are they really going to let malls and bars reopen?

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

So we should have done what all the other nations weren't doing ? ?  It's not wailing, it's asking why other nations didn't close down. Why are people just selectively bashing our country ?  The western world has acted about the same in many cases.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Do you or anyone else have a link to what Abbott has announced? Are they really going to let malls and bars reopen?

3 minutes ago, Digdogger said:

Announcing at noon

It should follow the Federal guidelines published yesterday, but hopefully with more specifics relevant to particular areas within the state.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So we should have done what all the other nations weren't doing ? ?  It's not wailing, it's asking why other nations didn't close down. Why are people just selectively bashing our country ?  The western world has acted about the same in many cases.

When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Don’t get him started. These CR types are all too eager to grab their cat-tails and flagellate themselves while punching their tear stained keyboards about the evil USA. 

I know. It's like I was drunk posting in the AM. Fucking rona.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away