Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Wait, there’s an argument on this thread now that Cuomo should have been told to quarantine and shut down subways  in December?  Admittedly I was listening to Abbott and only skimming this thread.

Everyone is Uncle Rico in this thread.

Uncle Rico GIF by memecandy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Anytime you add except to something, you reduce its effectiveness.  Any travel ban would have been just as problematic without testing and mandatory quarantining of incoming US citizens and very thorough data collection.  Not ask a few questions and check their temps while they stand in a gaggle, actual viral testing upon arrival, and during their quarantine period.  Plane loads should have been isolated upon arrival to reduce contamination of other plane loads, and to reduce the tracing necessary if/when someone popped positive.  As soon as any of them popped during their quarantine period, it would need to reset the test cycle for anyone else that was on that plane with them.    

huh?  less people coming in from overseas is better.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

huh?  less people coming in from overseas is better.

He is taking exception to your exception of US Citizens. 

But, I think he acknowledges that you can't ban returning US Citizens, but you can quarantine them and test the shit out of them.

From those who listened to Gov Wheels- any idea when we can go to a restaurant again?  Go to the movie theater?  Go to a bar?

Until we can do those things it doesn’t seem like we are particularly close to being “open”. 

I assume church, sporting events, concerts etc are a long ways off still

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- specifically I had honed in on 2 being a problem as virus treatments are really hard. 

I’m assuming everyone in my family will get it at some point in time and while I don’t welcome it I’m not particularly afraid of it for us. 

My in-laws have multiple co-morbidities and they are sheltering in place until there is a vaccine- which I think is a totally reasonable response to their situation- even if it is 12-18 months. We won’t be doing that but I get why they are. 

I understand and dont think thats unreasonable. But I would rather push out the "we are all going to get it" until there are therapies and/or better treatments to lessen the chance that one of my kids or wife gets it and its more than a walk in the park. Especially when there is no need to take the risk at this time or in the next 60-90 days.

11 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Monday State Parks reopen, but you must wear a mask, not be in groups over 5, and not be within 6 feet of people outside your household.

Need a ruling on sidewalk/trail etiquette.  I'm about ready to start tripping every runner that insists on passing only a foot or so around us.  Temp divert onto the grass or street to get past others.  You're the one open mouth huffing and puffing your viral load onto everyone, far more so than the walkers.  Yes it is outside, but get close enough and it's still a risk.

Am I being unreasonable, or are they the new bike phags?

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

From those who listened to Gov Wheels- any idea when we can go to a restaurant again?  Go to the movie theater?  Go to a bar?

Until we can do those things it doesn’t seem like we are particularly close to being “open”. 

I assume church, sporting events, concerts etc are a long ways off still

35 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Junior?    what If I told you that there are other dangers in the world outside of the rona that can get you too.  Might i suggest a bunker in the nations heartland off the grid get some livestock and learn to garden

Get back to me when one of those other dangers is a highly contagious disease, easily spread through the air and/or contact surfaces and has currently infected more than 600k Americans and killed more than 35k Americans in a single month. 

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

Just now, clapclapclap said:

Need a ruling on sidewalk/trail etiquette.  I'm about ready to start tripping every runner that insists on passing only a foot or so around us.  Temp divert onto the grass or street to get past others.  You're the one open mouth huffing and puffing your viral load onto everyone, far more so than the walkers.  Yes it is outside, but get close enough and it's still a risk.

social-distancing-donut-825x350.jpg

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

From those who listened to Gov Wheels- any idea when we can go to a restaurant again?  Go to the movie theater?  

When those businesses can successfully enforce a safe social distancing of their employees and customer base.  Or when the ban is lifted due to the virus going away.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

He is taking exception to your exception of US Citizens. 

But, I think he acknowledges that you can't ban returning US Citizens, but you can quarantine them and test the shit out of them.

well yeah of course.  quarantine or don't quarantine. yes quarantine is MUCH better.  I just said ban incoming traffic of those that are not US citizens.  less people coming in the better, regardless of if you quarantine them or not.  I'm not really sure the point of his post as it relates to my comment.  we let people come from Europe until March 11th.

3 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

yeah sounds like youre being a douchebag, not being johhny toughguy but if you tried to trip me while i was running, i would likely put you in the hospital 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They didn't have to. He's the MAYOR of his city. He could have done it. He probably had the same general intel as the federal gov't.  

Why didn't Cuomo call for a halt to public gatherings, stop the subways, close restaurants when he knew those were factors ?  You're damned determined to go political.  The veneer of your argument is paper thin.

Well, since we're trying to discuss a huge public health problem, which inherently involves governmental action/inaction, but we're being told we can't discuss such action/inaction "because POLITICAL!"....yeah.  It's like being told to discuss a football game, but any mention of any coaching decision, including the calling of any particular play, is banned.  You can do it...it's just a stupid conversation.

Oh, with the carveout, of course, that you can discuss EXCUSES for coaching decisions all day long.  You just can't criticize them.  

I said what I think needs to happen to get us on the right track.  Testing, contact tracing, retaining appropriate distancing/mask rules in certain contexts, and following that gameplan consistently, everywhere, with variations on the distancing/rules based on local conditions and metrics.  Let's see if that happens.  But by all means, let's NOT discuss any leadership when we talk about it, because that would be "political."

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Could someone remind me again why it matters whether the virus outbreak originated in a lab or a wet market (or somewhere else)?  Also, how does that affect how we are addressing it here?

(hint:  it doesn't)

Is this a joke? It has everything to so with everything. The source of this disaster is China. Their negligence in lab protocols or hygiene-pick your poison caused this mess. Is this some lab modified virus that was released versus completely naturally occurring. I’m no epidemiologist but I assume that matters. How we handle our national defense and immigration from China matters from the source. So is a demand for reparations.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, freyguy said:

When those businesses can successfully enforce a safe social distancing of their employees and customer base.  Or when the ban is lifted due to the virus going away.

So... never?  I’ve worked in kitchens- you can’t stay more than 6 feet away at all times from all employees. Of course, we already have kitchens open and fast food and the like- so I guess maybe it’s like airport security and we are more interested in appearing safe than anything else. 

All the movie theaters I’ve gone to recently have seriously lower seating capacity and the big lazy boy chairs. I guess if you left an empty seat between groups you’d be fine, but Something tells me they won’t be happening. Who knows. 

Until school opens up, really, I’m going to assume we aren’t really open in America so best chance- mid August I guess for life to start looking similar to what it was before. 

5 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Get back to me when one of those other dangers are a highly contagious disease, easily spread through the air and/or contact surfaces and have currently infected more than 600k Americans and killed more than 35k Americans in a single month. 

Its 26.9K per CDC.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So... never?  I’ve worked in kitchens- you can’t stay more than 6 feet away at all times from all employees. Of course, we already have kitchens open and fast food and the like- so I guess maybe it’s like airport security and we are more interested in appearing safe than anything else. 

All the movie theaters I’ve gone to recently have seriously lower seating capacity and the big lazy boy chairs. I guess if you left an empty seat between groups you’d be fine, but Something tells me they won’t be happening. Who knows. 

Until school opens up, really, I’m going to assume we aren’t really open in America so best chance- mid August I guess for life to start looking similar to what it was before. 

Yeah, it is what it is.  I took it that it defines a path for the non-critical businesses to follow what the critical ones had to do to stay open thus far.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 12

1 minute ago, freyguy said:

Yeah, it is what it is.  I took it that it defines a path for the non-critical businesses to follow what the critical ones had to do to stay open thus far.

Hot wheels sounds a hell of a lot more competent than the cheeto-in-chief in this Q&A.

I’ve got no beef with governor wheels. In fact I think I like him enough that I might not stand for anyone talking shit about him.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

...therefore I'm assuming whatever they're reporting has biased and an agenda to it, and I'm not going to take any sort of their analysis or opinion writing seriously. 

But that's not what you're doing, since Fox reported it you discounted it totally and in fact assumed it must be a conspiracy theory. But what if you are wrong in this case? You're just denying yourself legitimate information for no good reason.

Meanwhile I don't watch cable news, but if I did I wouldn't totally ignore whichever channel, say, Stephanopoulos is on just because he worked for the Clinton administration  Like you I think it is wrong for partisan politicians to pretend like they are straight news, but I'll listen anyway because I want to be able make up my own mind. Plus if you ignored every news outlet that hired former Administration officials you would probably run out of news sources.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

No, we dont have any health problems at all. We are all fit and healthy. But as the person who is responsible for keeping my family safe, I am not going to send them out to get sick before there are therapies in place to address. I don't think therapies are that far off. Vaccines are another story. 

I am prepared to do whatever it takes to keep my family happy and healthy. But I don't believe it will be 12-18 months. I believe we can get mass testing in place over the next 60-90 days, if we start now. I believe we will have effective therapies over the same period of time. We have masks so we are good on that one.

What kind of job do you have that you can afford to stay locked down for another 6 months or so?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

They are literally doing exactly what the CDC has directed. It isn't manipulation, it is an attempt at rationally identifying Covid-19 related deaths based on known information. We do this all the time for other diseases and causes of death, why do you insist we treat Covid-19 differently? If the police come across a body with a bullet-shaped hole in it, in your view is it improper for them to conclude that the person was shot? I don't understand the need to be willfully ignorant of the full extent of the damage that is being done. Don't we need to know that to make rational choices going forward?

What if they had COVID?

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What kind of job do you have that you can afford to stay locked down for another 6 months or so?

My wife and I both work from home. Again, I hope it's not another 6 months. I expect we can have testing and therapies in place over the next 60-90 days. But my family's safety comes first, before anything else, and certainly before going out to eat, to movies, concerts, sporting events, vacations, flying, etc.. I want to get those things open and back to normal as much as anyone else. I hope we can all come together and work toward making that a reality through mass testing, effective therapies and treatments, and masks, lots and lots of masks.

• Like 1

Not a popular opinion, but I'm giving everyone involved in this crisis a huge benefit of the doubt. I know the American Way is to get pissed at our government and point fingers of blame & armchair QB everything...BUT...making broad sweeping changes/orders early in the game would have been catastrophic. Imagine the panic that would have occurred if I told you on January 15th that on March 17th, you would be "locked in place" and this would have been going on for 4-6 weeks with little end in sight. The response would have been insane. 
Sometimes, shit has to hit the fan before people do the right thing.

Yeah, that’s why governments need emergency plans and experts in place before a crisis. And be empowered to implement. Then those plans come in stages, which would include travel restrictions, clearing scientific channels, readying supply chains, communication to leaders, etc, etc.

The shelter in place is the retreat phase, but I cant say for sure would or wouldn’t be inevitable. But a professional emergency communicator would know when to communicate those orders and seek to be as transparent about it as possible.

My perception now is pure chaos and I’ve seen very little that a well-trained fire chief or other safety professional leader couldn’t unclutter - even at a national level- immediately if empowered. we’d see results in a month. And we’d be able to do most things in 4 months with or without vaccination or treatment breakthroughs.
  • Like 2

My wife and I both work from home. Again, I hope it's not another 6 months. I expect we can have testing and therapies in place over the next 60-90 days. But my family's safety comes first, before anything else, and certainly before going out to eat, to movies, concerts, sporting events, vacations, flying, etc.. I want to get those things open and back to normal as much as anyone else. I hope we can all come together and work toward making that a reality through mass testing, effective therapies and treatments, and masks, lots and lots of masks.

To be frank, we SHOULD have had testing and therapies in place in the FIRST 60-90 days. China's purposeful shitty info campaign along with our amateur hour federal govt is why we are still in lockdown.

There is ZERO excuse for the testing clusterfuck.

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
8 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

To be frank, we SHOULD have had testing and therapies in place in the FIRST 60-90 days. China's purposeful shitty info campaign along with out amateur hour federal govt is why we are still in lockdown.

Some cities and states seem to be handling this competently.  Others aren't.

So what's the ideal time to schedule grocery pickup to reduce the number of fake out of stock items? 

Got a message from Kroger that they were out of 60% of my order for an 8:30 am pickup.  Out of eggs at 8am?   So I went inside right beforehand and found all but one alleged out of stock item that I could remember off the top of my head.  With ample substitutes right next to them.  When I (nicely) asked the pickup employee he said they fill the early orders overnight and often before many items are restocked.

Have had the same happen at Randall's, HEB, and Market Street, even for orders at 10 and 11am, and I was able to walk inside and find every OOS item or adequate substitutes each time, except for masks.  Kind of defeats the idea of social distancing, though.

Even found 2 packs Charmin Ultra Soft!  (20 minutes after HEB opened, but still.  Glad they don't do the olds only first hour, the Golden Hoarders keep cleaning out the good stuff at Kroger.  Maybe I should hire InstaGrannies.)  

That was all in the last week and a half, but on the positive side none of those had more than 3 items on the orders out of stock.  All have had limited options for ordering pickup, but it seems like HEB has recently added a lot more selection.  And they're up front on online about what they claim is OOS or was substituted, compared to Kroger and Randalls.  It's on the back of the Kroger receipt after pickup, but I don't want to touch that.  And Kroger won't even let you order TP, at least at the stores I've tried.  But go inside in the morning and there's usually some of the off brands.  HEB may substitute, but at least I usually get some, and all of the subs have been decent (Northern, Cottonelle, and a soft generic brand.) 

And thus end's today's segment of 'The Customer Slorch Hates the Most'.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Yeah, that’s why governments need emergency plans and experts in place before a crisis. And be empowered to implement. Then those plans come in stages, which would include travel restrictions, clearing scientific channels, readying supply chains, communication to leaders, etc, etc.

The shelter in place is the retreat phase, but I cant say for sure would or wouldn’t be inevitable. But a professional emergency communicator would know when to communicate those orders and seek to be as transparent about it as possible.

My perception now is pure chaos and I’ve seen very little that a well-trained fire chief or other safety professional leader couldn’t unclutter - even at a national level- immediately if empowered. we’d see results in a month. And we’d be able to do most things in 4 months with or without vaccination or treatment breakthroughs.

ha.  pure chaos got us from 2.2M to 68K, can you imagine without pure chaos.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Is this some lab modified virus that was released versus completely naturally occurring. I’m no epidemiologist but I assume that matters. 

Why?  Just because?

33 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

How we handle our national defense and immigration from China matters from the source. So is a demand for reparations.

Addressing the current pandemic has nothing to do with any of this.

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away