Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Good, they can keep it and their shitty 1-use toxic toys.

What if chewing on those toys is a way to unknowingly vaccinate yourself? I mean it would explain why our children aren't being effected by this thing. BOOM Conspiracy!

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

What if chewing on those toys is a way to unknowingly vaccinate yourself? I mean it would explain why our children aren't being effected by this thing. BOOM Conspiracy!

holy shit

im going for some plastic car tires now! just in case.

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Millennials need to toughen up is a pretty common criticism of that particular generation but it ignores the fact that our military is made up mostly of Millennials and they are the majority of our Iraq/Afghanistan war veterans.

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

What percentage of Millennials are Veterans?  What percentage of Millennials have served?

just a couple semi-important follow  up questions.

This is a stupid concept all around. Number one, generational "toughness" is a stupid concept. Number two, military service does not equal "toughness." Three, millennials were born early 80s to mid 90s. Most were not eligible to enlist after 9/11. I'm 28, toward the younger end of the millennial cohort. I was in fourth grade in 2001, was not 18 until 2010.

By the time most of the generation were legally adults, Iraq had long since been exposed and the US military was downsizing from its post 9/11 surge of personnel. Also worth nothing that the military downsized considerably after the Cold War. At no point in millenials' adult lives has the military been anywhere near as large as it was when boomers or Xers would have enlisted. So even ignoring the inherent stupidity of the concept, the comparison isn't apples to apples.

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Millennials need to toughen up is a pretty common criticism of that particular generation but it ignores the fact that our military is made up mostly of Millennials and they are the majority of our Iraq/Afghanistan war veterans.

Yeah, well those folks are a little tougher than the fuckfaces that can’t make their own toast on a green egg 

22 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

If China has a vaccine they aren't gonna let anyone else know or have it, so the FDA is irrelevant. 

If they do, and other countries find out this was some sort of game, they’ll be de-glassing about 15 cities in their country for the next 15-25 years.  

42 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, I don't even understand the push back in finding the source. Really, it isn't much different than trying to figure out who the hot brunette is next to Nova Prime in the Guardians of the Galaxy. It is what we do. And there is a purpose:

By finding the source we can determine whether the original disease came from bats or if it needed an additional animal reservoir. It can give us information on how the virus is being spread, whether individuals with mild or no symptoms can transmit the virus, and why some people develop major symptoms while others don't. And by finding the source, we can help stop the spread again of this disease or similar ones to it.

Even better: what the fuck else is there to do? Let's pivot to the subject of testing. We haven't covered that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This is a stupid concept all around. Number one, generational "toughness" is a stupid concept. Number two, military service does not equal "toughness." Three, millennials were born early 80s to mid 90s. Most were not eligible to enlist after 9/11. I'm 28, toward the younger end of the millennial cohort. I was in fourth grade in 2001, was not 18 until 2010.

By the time most of the generation were legally adults, Iraq had long since been exposed and the US military was downsizing from its post 9/11 surge of personnel. Also worth nothing that the military downsized considerably after the Cold War. At no point in millenials' adult lives has the military been anywhere near as large as it was when boomers or Xers would have enlisted. So even ignoring the inherent stupidity of the concept, the comparison isn't apples to apples.

The oldest Millennials were 21 by 9/11 and in their late twenties by the time there was "The Surge". Yeah a fuck ton of Millennials served in a voluntary military during the duration of those two wars. You can look up the numbers, they were the bulk of troops, which isn't surprising considering that late teens and early twenty year olds usually are the ones that fight wars.

I do agree that generational criticism is dumb. While young people do predominantly fight wars they tend to be fought by young people from the working class, basically young poor people. The general cliches of Boomers, Xers and Millennials tend to reflect Middle to upper middle class stereotypes that the poors don't have the ability to experience. The stereotypes have more in common with a John Hughes teenager movie than reality.

4 minutes ago, hot ham water said:

I'm not sure we're saying different things, but I'm just a simple caveman

Well, I was doing my damndest to not make a political comment.  I should neg myself    

I.e. China can’t afford to quit buying US debt and running the game because they’d be broke and overthrown If they did try.  

Edited by Trey3216

34 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:
3 hours ago, Incredulity said:
Well,  that exactly NOT what I asked.
So again, what percentage of Millennials have served?

I served with a ton of non millennial soft pussies

This.  Every generation has plenty of tough guys.  Every generation has plenty of pussies.  Every generation bitches about the generation or two behind them.  Our grandparents did it, our parents did it, and our generation is doing it.  The only thing that makes millennials stand out is that it's currently their turn to be bitched about.  And even that is starting to phase out as millennials are now starting their turn of bitching about Gen Z.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I"m not making a value judgement about whether or not we should or should not shrug off preventable deaths, what I'm saying is that its demonstrative fact that we, collectively, as a society, do exactly this. If we didn't then we'd all be basket cases and totally and completely be unable to get anything accomplished. The world is a nasty, awful terrible place full of all manner of death and depravity, and if you could feel the weight of that every day it would crush you physically, mentally and spiritually.  So, we shrink the world down to people in our social circle that we care a lot about and another social circle that we care a little about and then everyone else that we do little more than pay lip service to, or that we emote with if it somehow gets brought into our circle. It's like watching the ripples in a pond after you drop a rock in there- it's just how we are wired.

And that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to prevent all sorts of bad shit wherever we can. I'm not arguing against that. I'm arguing against the idea that we can't/won't collectively shrug this off and get on with our life b/c the world does keep on spinning. It just is. And that tweet got that wrong. Not in a moral sense but in an  absolute sense. 

You've spent a lot of time talk about the number of deaths, and the significance of this number.

Let's say tomorrow that 250k die in a bombing somewhere. Or even smaller scale, a series of mass shootings. Something potentially repeatable and difficult to stop.

Do you really think that Americans would gloss over this and respond with business as usual? This is fundamentally different that car accidents or other stupid fucking analogies; it's not just the number, it's the idea of repeatable, out-of-control incidents that are not already embedded in daily living.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

You've spent a lot of time talk about the number of deaths, and the significance of this number.

Let's say tomorrow that 250k die in a bombing somewhere. Or even smaller scale, a series of mass shootings. Something potentially repeatable and difficult to stop.

Do you really think that Americans would gloss over this and respond with business as usual? This is fundamentally different that car accidents or other stupid fucking analogies; it's not just the number, it's the idea of repeatable, out-of-control incidents that are not already embedded in daily living.

Yes. I don’t think that life would stop. It’s not how human beings are wired. Even if the aliens land on earth tonight the dog still needs to be let outside to take a shit tomorrow morning. 

Hierarchy of needs man. Food, shelter, etc. it’s hard wired in us to take care of our basic needs and do our thing. If it was not we wouldn’t survive. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Come on man, don't be CTJ/Slorch. There is a middle ground. Life is not either business as usual or "life would stop". People don't either think AMERICA NUMBER 1 FUCK YEAH or OMG FUCK AMERICA WE SUCK.

Life can be impacted, people not respond as usual. Nobody is saying we won't survive. But if there are 250k deaths (and I have not thought a lot about this number. Maybe it's lower, maybe it's higher, so please don't get hung up on that, it's just the number that I think was referenced). The point of that tweet was that people aren't going to respond with business as usual, and I think it's correct. We can discuss magnitude of effect, but you dismissing based on equivalent number of deaths from other causes shows lack of critical thinking. How deaths occur matters.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

If they do, and other countries find out this was some sort of game, they’ll be de-glassing about 15 cities in their country for the next 15-25 years.  

They don’t, and he knows it. You generally know better so not sure why you would even respond to that.

i mean let’s at least keep the Bullshitters straight. Our intelligence services warned us of an impending pandemic in late 2019, but somehow missed a nationwide vaccine for said virus. Makes sense.

9 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Okay surly landlords this might be a tad too far. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/landlords-are-targeting-vulnerable-tenants-solicit-sex-exchange-rent-advocates-n1186416

Some landlords are taking advantage of the coronavirus outbreak, soliciting sexual favors in lieu of rent payments from economically vulnerable tenants, according to advocates.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, bolverk said:

It's true that it had been going on for a while, but I had been keeping my mouth shut. And, frankly, the anger is justifiable. None of this would've happened whether it occurred in a wet market or a lab. But, last night, it felt like things were hitting a tipping point where the thread was no longer a discussion about ongoing events but one that was turning into full-blown political tantrum. That's surly though, so it shouldn't have come to any surprise on my part.

Look, I'm pissed too. I'd much rather be in my office right now than sitting in an uncomfortable wooden chair at my kitchen table. I'm tired of worrying about leaving the house and feeling like Saul Goodman's brother when I do -- though that's dissipating. I'm very fucking worried about the devastation being reaped on the economy and what that means to my and my coworkers'/friends' ongoing and future employment. Because of the nature of what I do for a living, I'm very, very in-tune with what's going on with the state's economy and am having to revise reports, analyses, feasibility studies on an ongoing basis and never feel like I can ever actually complete them and get them out the door. Data is lagging, new data is coming in. Everything is uncertain and I can't reliably predict what's going to happen for my clients.

I spend a great deal of my time during the day talking with community leaders around the state, trying to help them figure out ways to respond and help their local businesses. I'm frequently on conference calls/attending webinars with SBA folks, consultants, reps from the governor's office, TWC, and other agencies trying to get that information condensed and out the door. Believe me, I want this over just as much as anyone else. It fucking sucks, and I hate it too.

Gov Abbott?   That you?

7 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Kindly fuck off. I’ve not posted any conspiracy theories here. 

Dude, your whole let's not talk about where this originated so we can talk about what WE didn't do schtick is a conspiracy theory in and of itself.  How in the world would you not want to know what caused the pandemic ?  

SCENE:  A kitchen somewhere in America, DDD puts his little hand on a hot stove top.

Aaaaaand ACTION !!

DDD:  Owwwwww I burnt my wittle hand......How did that happen ?  Meh.... it doesn't matter

30 seconds later he sticks his hand on the  stove top again:

DDD:  Owwwwwww I burnt my wittle hand .... again........How did that happen ?  Meh.... it doesn't matter

30 seconds later he sticks his hand on the stove top again:

DDD:  Owwwwwww I burnt my wittle hand....... again........How did that happen ?  Meh.... it doesn't matter

30 seconds later he sticks his hand on the stove top again:

DDD:  Owwwwwww I burnt my wittle hand....... again........How did that happen ?  Meh.... it doesn't matter

30 seconds later he sticks his hand on the stove top again.............

DDD:  Owwwwwww I burnt my wittle hand ............again........

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

SCENE:  A kitchen somewhere in America, DDD puts his little hand on a hot stove top.

Aaaaaand ACTION !!

DDD:  Owwwwww I burnt my wittle hand......How did that happen ?  Meh.... it doesn't matter

30 seconds later he sticks his hand on the  stove top again:

This may be closer to his real life than you think.

Edited by Casual Encounter
It’s not nice to make fun of the handicapped.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

I wonder how weak our immune systems are getting as a result of all this social distancing and disinfecting we’re doing? We might all be getting sick as hell when this pandemic is over. Wait, what?

Yeah I've thought that as well.  We're all gonna get sick with some minor crap when we're finally interacting again.

And when kids go back to school?  Look out!

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I've thought that as well.  We're all gonna get sick with some minor crap when we're finally interacting again.

And when kids go back to school?  Look out!

I think it takes longer than a couple months to mess with immune systems, or not.

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

You mean in the week following the Wuhan lockdown that started Jan23?  Or are you advocating for a lockdown before they had one?

No you fuck face.  The exact opposite you stupid dipshit.  I'm simply asking if we were ordered to shelter in place in January would we as Americans would have told the President to pack sand.  Is that more clear now you cunt bag

• Fuck You 1

I had been wondering how this virus was able to spread like wildfire through the west, but it hadn't seen as quick of a spread in less developed parts of the world. This may be a case where it's really undercounted as they don't have the testing.

Also in bad news from across the world:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

No you fuck face.  The exact opposite you stupid dipshit.  I'm simply asking if we were ordered to shelter in place in January would we as Americans would have told the President to pack sand.  Is that more clear now you cunt bag

At the risk of being a cunt bag, I had to read this 3 times to figure out what you were trying to say.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I think there would definitely have been much more push back in early January.  It wasn't really hitting us hard yet, even though it was on a slow simmer ready to boil over.  Hell, people are still grumbling about current quarantines.  You can't fix stoopid. Ron White said that.......

I was still planning on a late March ski trip right up till late February. A little head in the sand moment I guess.

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think there would definitely have been much more push back in early January.  It wasn't really hitting us hard yet, even though it was on a slow simmer ready to boil over.  Hell, people are still grumbling about current quarantines.  You can't fix stoopid. Ron White said that.......

I was still planning on a late March ski trip right up till late February. A little head in the sand moment I guess.

There was never a need to shelter in place in January. The virus wasn't widespread. What we needed to be doing was preparing. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I like this guy’s enthusiasm. He’s really letting justhookit know where he stands. Where he stands is apparently somewhere between fuck face and cunt bag, and you better respect somebody. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

There was never a need to shelter in place in January. The virus wasn't widespread. What we needed to be doing was preparing. 

Maybe,  but there are certainly a lot of people saying we should have reacted in January.   You do realize that right ? 

I'd say your comment is off the mark if you look at NYC.  By January it was already getting ready to boil over.  The huge numbers bear that out I believe.

17 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I believe I've sussed out one agenda but am still waiting for someone to offer a substantive response.  

If you have something to offer I'm happy to listen.  Or you could just insult me.

Just in the interest of watching you make more of a fool of yourself, what agenda do you think you think you actually “sussed out”? I don’t think I ever noticed you before, besides your random neg reps on this thread, but watching you pull the bookshelf on top of yourself repeatedly on this thread over the last 24 hours has been absurdly hilarious. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I had been wondering how this virus was able to spread like wildfire through the west, but it hadn't seen as quick of a spread in less developed parts of the world. This may be a case where it's really undercounted as they don't have the testing.

Also in bad news from across the world:

That’s exactly what is happening. There tons of videos showing bodies overflowing from the morgue. Bodies in streets. Lines of cars waiting to bury their loved one that died in their home. No hospitals. These people aren’t being counted in Ecuador 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away