Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

CDC is continuing to update how cases and deaths are reported   For those who missed it a few days ago   

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

2. As of April 14, 2020, CDC case counts and death counts include both confirmed and probable cases and deaths. This change was made to reflect an interim COVID-19 position statementpdf iconexternal icon issued by the Council for State and Territorial Epidemiologists on April 5, 2020. The position statement included a case definition and made COVID-19 a nationally notifiable disease.

A confirmed case or death is defined by meeting confirmatory laboratory evidence for COVID-19. A probable case or death is defined by i) meeting clinical criteria AND epidemiologic evidence with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19; or ii) meeting presumptive laboratory evidence AND either clinical criteria OR epidemiologic evidence; or iii) meeting vital records criteria with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID19.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, achooloco said:

1st part: LOL, ok settle down nancy. that is not anyway factually true.

2nd part: yes, definitely no matter what is in the rest of your post, that is indisputable.

Sure thing.  I'll go for possible coincidence with 2 separate statements.

covid-19 might have started in a lab:

So there's a new level 4 bio lab in china, built a few years ago and the only one in China that can study the worst shit on planet. Ok fine

the lab was to be built by the French, but the Chinese dicided to do it theirselves.  Ok, I mean they are known for building quality shit

the lab is a couple hundred yards from the wet market where thing is THOUGHT to have originated.  Uhh, ok

there happens to be a researcher who has been studying and publishing papers on bat corona viruses.  Uhh, hmm.

she happens to be researching exactly how thesebat corona viruses can infect humans.  Well...

Lab post job opening in November to help study why bats caronavirus but are long lived.   Welp 

lab posts job opening that the discovered a new and terrible disease and need someone to come deal with it.  Ok, fuck that

researcher disappears, CCP says she's fine but no one can find her.  Yeah

missing researchers info scrubbed from labs website.  Ok, this may not mean much unless China  was trying to cover something up.

CCP has also covered this thing up for months and downplayed the seriousness.  Well, this is fact.  Oh and an attempt to cover up

CCP censoring scientists for talking about coronavirus.  Pretty normal behavior for CCP, still, coincidence

other Chinese scientists blame the lab for letting it out through sloppy safety practices.  Coincidences are mounting

yet another doctor with detailed knowledge of workings in lab claims several workers infected, viroriginated in lab.  Heh, coincidence

these doctors and scientists must be anonymous.  Oops, they used their real names and info is public on web.  Just a side note.

A few days later the top bioweapons expert from PLA assumes control over lab.  But coincidence

remdesvir given to China by US is preemptively patented by pharma owned by son of former CCP leader.  A follow the $$ coincidence

Coved-19 might have originated in a wet market:

Far more likely a new coronavirus just mutated to a form that's both deadly and can infect humans, then jumped to pangolins, then on to humans.  And the only coincidence is that this happens at the same time everything else was happening related to the lab.  

So I will admit that I got carried away.  There's not overwhelming evidence, really there's nothing to see here but a whole bunch of coincidences   I mean, the simplest solution is certainly not that the virus leaked out of a new lab studying the very thing that is now plaguing us and happens to be a block away from where they think it originated.  Diseases just don't ever leak out of labs.

• Like 1

Under the hood of the 1point9acres tracker

https://medium.com/1point3acres/project-management-in-the-time-of-coronavirus-6a63d486cc9

Apart from co-founders and several core team members, one of the most used non-government COVID-19 databases in North America is powered by a team of volunteers who have barely met each other in person, heard each other’s voices or seen each other’s faces. And this team of offline strangers continues to publish the latest numbers in real time, roll out new features responding to changing circumstances, and maintain a bilingual social media presence.

As many people are settling into working from home because of the outbreak, let me take you behind the scene to see the three key drivers of a team of remote volunteers passionate about fighting COVID-19.

Discussions about how to handle differing numbers

This mindset that defaults to transparency also helped us to gain public trust. Take the example when we first realised our approach to compile county-level numbers differed from Washington State authorities. We chose to clarify on both the website and on Twitter about how and why we compile the numbers before users even raised the question or even noticed. Our job is not just about having transparent results, but also transparent processes. As one of the co-founders put it, “we should link state official numbers in our tracker too, so users have visibility that we ARE making the comparisons.” While transparency is easy to be dismissed as a vague virtue, treating transparency as default is an actionable first step to take from here.

Interesting peak behind the curtain.  Those folks really threw that together fast.

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Are you referring to Austin?  I'm assuming yes, and that's great.  But there's lots of areas where that's not the case. 

I was referring to all of Texas except for the friend of Doc Reeves that lives in San Antonio but got on a plane to get tested in Colorado.  He apparently is wealthy and has a doctor son but still can’t get tested anywhere in this state. He’s an idoit.

in the grand scheme I understand the need for a lot more testing. It’s a bandaid but it’s all we have right now besides social distancing. On an individual level my question is why is this even an issue? If I get sick I’m staying home, calling the doctor, and only leaving the house if I need to go to the hospital. Once there I could give 2 fucks if they test me as long as they treat me. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Post 16667 in the politics version of this thread was from a guy who said he was on the phone with a sick person who can’t get a test. The claim that there are tests for anyone who wants one seems suspect to me.

you just crossed the streams.  never cross the streams.  

• Like 3

So, where are all of the charts and graphs of the infections and deaths that were a staple of this thread for weeks?

I’ve been checking in on this thread for that info for a while because people were doing a good job of updating it,  but now I’m not seeing it. 

Has that info been moved to another thread? If so, could someone please direct me to it? 

25 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Post 16667 in the politics version of this thread was from a guy who said he was on the phone with a sick person who can’t get a test. The claim that there are tests for anyone who wants one seems suspect to me.

Ok this is that post “I just now this minute got off the phone with a friend whose husband has been sick going on 3 days.  She is getting very worried and was trying to get him tested today.  No dice. Their area only has tests available for elderly or listed pre-existing conditions.  She's still searching.”

It’s 3rd hand, it doesn’t list any symptoms, and doesn’t say any location. For fucks sake maybe her husband has herpes.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Ok this is that post “I just now this minute got off the phone with a friend whose husband has been sick going on 3 days.  She is getting very worried and was trying to get him tested today.  No dice. Their area only has tests available for elderly or listed pre-existing conditions.  She's still searching.”

It’s 3rd hand, it doesn’t list any symptoms, and doesn’t say any location. For fucks sake maybe her husband has herpes.

Why would someone jump on a plane if they think they are contagious? If it isn't illegal, it is highly unethical. The screeners at the airport are asking if you are sick so it takes both active lying and a total disregard for the health of others.

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Regardless of if it's confederate flag wavers in Michigan or these "people" Onboard is talking about on the internet who say we should have shut everything down in January.

People on this board were saying we should have shut everything down in January, ok maybe just GreenspointTexas, but who on this thread has supported protesting? I’m not sure why you’re using extremists in the general population to counter those on this thread. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

People on this board were saying we should have shut everything down in January, ok maybe just GreenspointTexas, but who on this thread has supported protesting? I’m not sure why you’re using extremists in the general population to counter those on this thread. 

Exactly.  I wasn't saying I support the protests.  I just said that Governor Whitmer was disingenuous about the "Nazi" flag.

That post was simply a response to someone who said anyone can get a test that wants it. That statement appears to be untrue. And it is a very important question. Without enough testing, opening up the economy raises risks. On NBC five minutes ago the Dr who heads up the Harvard Health institute that is studying this said they estimate we need 3-10x more testing. I’m just pointing out that the story that there’s plenty of testing doesn’t appear to be true.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Another story on testing from a decent media source, but is a few days old.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1177866

As a side note, it’s almost impossible these days to find information sources that don’t have a strong media bias. No wonder surly argues all the time.

No we don't dammit. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

So, where are all of the charts and graphs of the infections and deaths that were a staple of this thread for weeks?

I’ve been checking in on this thread for that info for a while because people were doing a good job of updating it,  but now I’m not seeing it. 

Has that info been moved to another thread? If so, could someone please direct me to it? 

https://twitter.com/BNODesk

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com

We will be hitting 750,000 confirmed cases and 40,000+ deaths today    We kinda became numb to it    

St Edwards getting of half of their sports due to the virus. I’m wondering if it was in the works long before now.  Need to research their cheer team.  

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/st-edwards-cuts-6-sports-due-to-economic-impact-of-covid-19/

The men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s golf, men’s soccer and cheer will be cut from the athletic department budget. Cheer will move to a club sport distinction and be funded under the RecWell Department.

“I am deeply grateful to the coaches who have worked diligently over the years to build nationally recognized and well-respected programs,”said Debbie Taylor, associate vice president for Athletics. “As we make this difficult transition, I know that all of our coaches and staff members have our student-athletes as a top priority and will work closely with them to support their needs.”

In response to Wednesday’s announcement, a petition to reinstate the programs gathered more than 10,000 signatures by Saturday afternoon, from when it launched Friday. The petition was launched by Nico Ciavaglia, a junior golfer from Rochester, Mich. 

“This new year was supposed to bring victories, defeats, joy, laughter and a drive to be part of something bigger than just sports here at St. Edward’s University. This new year was supposed to bring a family,” said Nico Ciavagila. “Instead, we have been given a year filled with disappointment and sorrow with the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Transfer portal talk not going away  And like aggy, next season was gonna bring a championship.  

Hills says the cancellations couldn’t have come at a worse time. The transfer portal, which is the avenue for players to release themselves; essentially becoming free agents is open. The NCAA granted every Spring athlete another season, meaning the transfer portal is busting at the seams. 

“I’m in touch with a lot of NCAA officials. Teams aren’t adding players right now,” said Hill. “It hurts, because I worked hard to recruit all 15 of these athletes, and now they have no where to go. They have no where to play college golf.” 

Hill says he’s built a program that has the ability to win the first ever National Championship in St. Edwards history. That title is something Senior Golfer Ryan Mcginley has dreamt about his entire life.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

That post was simply a response to someone who said anyone can get a test that wants it. That statement appears to be untrue. And it is a very important question. Without enough testing, opening up the economy raises risks. On NBC five minutes ago the Dr who heads up the Harvard Health institute that is studying this said they estimate we need 3-10x more testing. I’m just pointing out that the story that there’s plenty of testing doesn’t appear to be true.

Are you calling CTJ a liar? He’ll be by to scream at you and hurl personal insults without responding to the premise of the original claim. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

CDC is continuing to update how cases and deaths are reported   For those who missed it a few days ago   

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Nah dude, they're just winging it and assigning COVID to anyone who dies with anything short of a gunshot wound to the head.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Fatigue has set in.

• Like 1

I’m looking at the AUS departures board, and at least half of the flights are cancelled. Do y’all know if these cancelations are happening on a short cycle (i.e. 24 hours ahead of the flight) or if they have been cancelled weeks ago?

5 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I’m looking at the AUS departures board, and at least half of the flights are cancelled. Do y’all know if these cancelations are happening on a short cycle (i.e. 24 hours ahead of the flight) or if they have been cancelled weeks ago?

Most of them weeks ago.  

i am going by google’s testing map, but looks like testing is pretty thin on the ground in Houston.  Particularly in my area.

search google for “coronavirus” and hit “testing” on the left. Only choices inside 610 are a Montrose doc-in-the-box with restrictions (must be symptomatic, prioritized for elderly/high risk/M-Th 9-5 only ), Ben Taub (holy shit no) and the main med center campus of MD Anderson. Outside 610 on the west/SW are a couple of doc-in-box clinics (same rules on symptoms, high risk and M-Th) and an MD Anderson that’s for heathcare employees only.

So if google is accurate, at best it’s only technically true that everyone who wants a test can get one.  Katy is something like 27 miles from my house.  

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

i am going by google’s testing map, but looks like testing is pretty thin on the ground in Houston.  Particularly in my area.

search google for “coronavirus” and hit “testing” on the left. Only choices inside 610 are a Montrose doc-in-the-box with restrictions (must be symptomatic, prioritized for elderly/high risk/M-Th 9-5 only ), Ben Taub (holy shit no) and the main med center campus of MD Anderson. Outside 610 on the west/SW are a couple of doc-in-box clinics (same rules on symptoms, high risk and M-Th) and an MD Anderson that’s for heathcare employees only.

So if google is accurate, at best it’s only technically true that everyone who wants a test can get one.  Katy is something like 27 miles from my house.  

Which area do you live in?  There is one at 290/610 by the old mall.

15 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Which area do you live in?  There is one at 290/610 by the old mall.

By Delmar?  Not exactly close but best alternative I’ve heard. 

I live by the only functioning railroad tracks in Texas.  Or at least that must be true given how much traffic they get 24/7. 

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

CDC shows 690K cases and 1.2K maybes.  35K deaths and 4.2K maybes.

I guess our testing accuracy is better than our dead accuracy,

Most of the dead maybes were never tested so there’s that.  Needs to be a huge * next to the maybes.  It will also be notable to see which states have the most maybes.   

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

CDC shows 690K cases(covid tracking shows 3.7M tests run) and 1.2K maybes.  35K deaths and 4.2K maybes.

I guess our testing accuracy is better than our dead accuracy,

8 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Most of the dead maybes were never tested so there’s that.  Needs to be a huge * next to the maybes.  It will also be notable to see which states have the most maybes.   

Y'all are ridiculous. 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

my guess is the feds are seeing total hospitalization rate drop(pass the peak) fairly significantly.  the most frustrating part about the numbers during this is not getting good hospitalization numbers.  that is way more key than positive tests.  it will be interesting what the rate is for hospitalization/death.

for H1N1 state reported hospitalization rate was about 25% and of hospitalization the death rate was about 12.5%

• Like 3

14 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

As long as you aren’t FB Karen that wants a test because your dog has a runny nose, you can get a test if you need it. God forbid, it may take more than 10 minutes of your time, but you can get one. Saying you can’t is just a lie.  

This is correct. 

8 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

This is histrionic nonsense. The best anyone can offer for the unavailability of a test is a third hand anecdote.  

The “you still can’t get tested!!” narrative is a Siamese twin of “the testing, my God, the testing!” premise.  It was inevitable as a whine once the national response to the pandemic proved that the rurals and suburbans aren’t the deplorable fucktards that the briskets and the jimmys told their audience that they would be. 

• Like 9
  • Fuck You 2

there is a regional clinic right near  where I work in Austin.  they had set up 2 temporary testing tents 2 weeks ago.  took one down last week.  I went by last week to ask if they were able to do tests and they said yes no problem if you have symptoms. They will check you there but they really prefer you call first.  I asked how many they had tested in the last couple of weeks and they said about 2 a day.

they say they have limited tests because they don't want people driving in just asking for a test.  sure if they had 100 people a day showing up it would be a problem but its not even close to that.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is correct. 

This is histrionic nonsense. The best anyone can offer for the unavailability of a test is a third hand anecdote.  

The “you still can’t get tested!!” narrative is a Siamese twin of “the testing, my God, the testing!” premise.  It was inevitable as a whine once the national response to the pandemic proved that the rurals and suburbans aren’t the deplorable fucktards that the briskets and the jimmys told their audience that they would be. 

I also posted an NBC news story indicating there are issues, and a TV interview with the Director of the Harvard Health Institute from today that is researching the issue. Look, I understand your schtick is to come onto this board and just insult anyone and everyone by claiming they are ignoring data, all while you do the exact same thing.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

As long as you aren’t FB Karen that wants a test because your dog has a runny nose, you can get a test if you need it. God forbid, it may take more than 10 minutes of your time, but you can get one. Saying you can’t is just a lie.  

Had one of my kid's friend's mom (who my wife knows well) try to get a test.  She had serious symptoms for over a week and was in some respiratory distress.  She called the E.R. (either UT or Christus system) to let them know she was coming.  She tested negative for flu.  They would not test her.  They got her stabilized, but would not admit her to the hospital.  Sent her home.  Took her another week to finally get to where she was feeling a bit better (I heard her over the phone and she sounded like hell).  This was two weeks ago.  We are not a huge metro area, but we are a city of over 100,000 with several hospitals including UT system. 

Another story, my 5th grader's school principal tested positive.  He went to one of those pop up ER's (the ones that insurance pretty much never covers).  Got the test. 

Anecdotal?  Perhaps.  Lie? Absolutely fucking not. 

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away