Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

18 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Well, local governments here actually mandated shutdowns. So I guess that statement is true, but it doesn't really have any relationship to the rest of the context about Sweden supposedly not needing hard shutdowns to avoid an overwhelmed healthcare system. 

We don't know if they didn't need a hard shutdown because they didn't go on living life as normal as you stated in you other post. 

• Like 1

Well, local governments here actually mandated shutdowns. So I guess that statement is true, but it doesn't really have any relationship to the rest of the context about Sweden supposedly not needing hard shutdowns to avoid an overwhelmed healthcare system. 

And the states(ND/SD/AR/IA and I believe more) that haven’t issued a shelter in place haven’t seen overwhelmed healthcare systems. The Smithfield plant is currently the biggest hot spot in America. Sioux Falls is home to Sanford health medically they have a ton of facilities to handle it. Grand forks ND had a wind mill plant outbreak a few days ago that isn’t nearly medically equipped as Sioux Falls and their president raised concern it could overwhelm https://www.inforum.com/news/5260717-UPDATED-LM-Wind-Power-outbreak-could-%E2%80%98overwhelm%E2%80%99-Grand-Forks-health-systems-hospital-leader-warns

So far between the 2 outbreaks I think 1 person has died between in the 1000+ cases

7 minutes ago, pacman said:

Your niece got nothing, and her parents nothing for her unless she files her own and is not claimed as a dependent.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/03/stimulus-check-college-students-adult-dependents/

she's still in hs and turned 18 in 2020, my sister did claim her in 2019, altho she also did file on her own...

oh well, she's probably fucked bc who isn't nowadays amirite

thanks for answers

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

We don't know if they didn't need a hard shutdown because they didn't go on living life as normal as you stated in you other post. 

By hard shutdown I meant a government mandated one. I was just pointing out the context of the statement about Sweden was that the superiority of their healthcare system allowed them to take a less drastic approach. I don't know if that'll end up being true or not. Since we did have government mandated shutdowns, your comparison between the US and Swedish results to-date seemed like a non-sequitur. 

Now I’ve read it all. Conspiracy theory hot off the press via Facebook:  this is all being created out of whole cloth as an excuse to move from the oil standard back to the gold standard, seeing as how gold is again so valuable and much more so than oil. The opposite of the 70s when the same people created the oil shortage to move from gold to oil. 

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Who was the dipshit who predicted that we would have <25k deaths by April 15?

I believe the dipshit you’re searching for is dahobbs, but the number was 45k. I don’t think there has been a single death prediction in the thread that hasn’t come in under. Unless you side with Texarcher that ‘few’ means 14 days. 

Edited by akhornfan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mchookem said:

she's still in hs and turned 18 in 2020, my sister did claim her in 2019, altho she also did file on her own...

thanks for answers

yep, my oldest is about 8 months younger and I/they will get nothing. dependents had to 16 or younger

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mchookem said:

thanks for answers

Well now you’ve done it. Poor girl is gonna get her inbox spammed front perverts 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's because they're all scholars in the CR.  Touching dirt would be beneath them.

EDIT: Yep, easy to get a rise from CR heavy posters like pacman.

You have way more posts on the CR forum than I do.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

I believe the dipshit you’re searching for is dahobbs, but the number was 45k. I don’t think there has been a single death prediction in the thread that hasn’t come in under. Unless you side with Texarcher that ‘few’ means 14 days. 

?

On 3/21/2020 at 6:45 PM, Dahobbs said:

No, we've shut it down for the 30k - 70k that are going to be dead by the end of next month, and the hundreds of thousands that would have followed if we didn't. 

I feel pretty good about that one, you know, from March 21 when we had <400 total deaths. But, I did say 10k a day was a possibility depending on the lag from action (shutdown) to effect (slowed growth curve). So I guess that didn't happen, although all I ever really said was that it could happen (i.e., in the range of reasonably possible outcomes). 

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Now I’ve read it all. Conspiracy theory hot off the press via Facebook:  this is all being created out of whole cloth as an excuse to move from the oil standard back to the gold standard, seeing as how gold is again so valuable and much more so than oil. The opposite of the 70s when the same people created the oil shortage to move from gold to oil. 

Sounds right.

Re:Re: FWD

tin foil film GIF

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

While this doesn't answer the question about superiority of healthcare, generally, it is interesting to note that Germany has a large component of private healthcare in their system.

I frankly would have guessed that the private, for-profit nature of our system would have "optimized" (reduced for pandemic purposes) the number of beds/critical care beds.

Also, those numbers are old enough to be out of date.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

While this doesn't answer the question about superiority of healthcare, generally, it is interesting to note that Germany has a large component of private healthcare in their system.
I frankly would have guessed that the private, for-profit nature of our system would have "optimized" (reduced for pandemic purposes) the number of beds/critical care beds.
Also, those numbers are old enough to be out of date.

Shit. When you fight the world twice in the last 100 years, I’d hope there’d be some grandfathering in of hospital capacity

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's going to be a question of when and how they filed taxes. If she was a dependent on your sister's last filed tax return, she'll get $500. If not, and she didn't file taxes in 2018 or 2019, she's fucked.

What I read was this from the IRS website while trying to help my inlaws 

parents get $500 for kids until they reach 17.  At that point the 17-24 year olds must have filed taxes in 18 or 19, must not be claimed on their parents taxes, AND cannot get money if they COULD be claimed on their parents taxes.   Because kids in college can continue to be claimed b their parents they are not eligible for anything even if they are claimed by their parents.  (EDIT:  there's info contradicting my last statement, trying to find exactly where I read that on the IRS website but am unable to connect.  They must  hired that outfit who built their healthcare website to help out with corona)

This was an extremely fucked up part of the whole bill.  The $2.2 Trillion bill all the asshats spent weeks arguing over, that only part of actually goes to the people it was supposed to provide immediate relief.   And it's not free money for the people who get it, just an advance against future tax returns.  Meanwhile, if you dig deep you find a significant amount of the money handed out was in the form of grants--free money for those entities who received it.  

Edited by Treefidy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Its crazy NY/NJ are still over half the deaths.  the statistics coming out of there will be interesting.  they must have a shit ton of olds.

Median age of New York City is 35.8 years, which is significantly less than the median age for the US as a whole (~38 years). Source: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/planning-level/nyc-population/population-facts.page

NY just had greater early exposure and probably a quicker spread due to its density. Other places mostly shutdown when they had a smaller number of infected in their populations in comparison to NY (i.e., NY was further along the growth curve at the time of shutdown). 

• Like 1

For your morning livestock update, beef prices have now taken out the first spring high, pretty solidly too, and hogs are getting closer to $70, with the recent high being $80, and bellies are close to 100 now. It sounds like packers are still able to meet standing sales orders to retail, but very little spot pork to be had. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

For your morning livestock update, beef prices have now taken out the first spring high, pretty solidly too, and hogs are getting closer to $70, with the recent high being $80, and bellies are close to 100 now. It sounds like packers are still able to meet standing sales orders to retail, but very little spot pork to be had. 

What does Orange Juice futures look like?

18 minutes ago, mchookem said:

well that seems like a giant gaping hole now doesn't it 

17 to 22 citizens basically got nothing

i told my daughter to vote if she didn't think it was fair because nobody takes that age range seriously politically

she submitted some pre-registration to vote we got in the mail yesterday

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Isn’t that pretty much everywhere in the US except for New York?

It’s true.  Now if we let everyone roam like Sweden we would have seen other cities overwhelmed.  But as it stands other than NYC/NO we held on pretty well.  

Imo places like South Dakota are gonna have shortages bc they didn’t do enough and they’re low on beds anyway.  We will see soon enough   

It’s true.  Now if we let everyone roam like Sweden we would have seen other cities overwhelmed.  But as it stands other than NYC/NO we held on pretty well.  

Imo places like South Dakota are gonna have shortages bc they didn’t do enough and they’re low on beds anyway.  We will see soon enough   

According to the post from Dahobbs, the idea that Sweden “roamed free” is incorrect. The government may not have shut things down like they did here, but he is post suggested that they practiced social distancing and didn’t gather in large crowds. The post that began that discussion was just a hit piece about how much the US sucks...as per usual.
  • Like 5

Just now, Hate said:

According to the post from Dahobbs, the idea that Sweden “roamed free” is incorrect. The government may not have shut things down like they did here, but he is post suggested that they practiced social distancing and didn’t gather in large crowds. The post that began that discussion was just a hit piece about how much the US sucks...as per usual.

Yes.  Sadly a lot of this shit devolves into that. I think I read they limit crowds to 50.  But not much else in terms of hard limits.  I don’t see why it has to be us vs them...

Shit, I hope anything that leads to us opening up faster ends up the ‘right’ move.  Get me the fuck out again...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

Comparing a  population of 10m on equal footing as 130m continues to be inane.

• Like 1

Agreed it’ll be a good study..1000 cases with I assume middle aged working mostly men.

1 Smithfield death i read about the other day.

The 2020 Scripps National Spelling Bee has been C-A-N-C-E-L-E-D for the first time since 1945 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The event, established in 1925 for elementary and middle school children, was last canceled from 1943 to 1945 due to World War II. The next bee will be held from June 1 to 3, 2021, the organization said Tuesday. Scripps had announced March 20 that it was temporarily suspending the national finals in hopes of rescheduling.

“Our hearts go out to the spellers who won’t get their final shot at winning because of the pandemic and the difficult decisions it is prompting us to make,” said Paige Kimble, executive director of the Scripps National Spelling Bee, in a statement. “They are now part of a widely expanding group of children and adults who are missing out on opportunities due to the coronavirus.”

• Like 4

Why is the media so obsessed with small groups of idiot protesters? It's kind of interesting, like a train wreck I guess, but these are a small fringe, the same idiots who carry bazookas into McDonalds 'cause 'murica. But they don't represent the public, and it's a distraction. They aren't going to overcome the science of how and when we can start opening shit up, so why again are they taking such an inordinate amount of media?
Paradoxically, with a huge slowdown on society, demand for news surges.

"Americans' compliance with stay at home orders exceeds expectations; social distancing proving very effective. Not much going on these days."

Not gonna hold people's attention.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Hot mic alert...but yea. Some of us are starting to see this too. I don’t want to use hoax because it’s serious. But completely closing businesses and the economy? No.

Funny thing is, the hospitals are getting their ass kicked and absolutely want to open as fast as possible.  In fact on an internal call just yesterday w several large hospital execs/physicians there was a WTF tone...Governor Pritzker was on the news talking about how our peak is midMay.  We were all confused as to what the hell he is talking about.  Everything we have seen has us coming down off of the peak already and we won't see another larger spike - until we actually open up society some, and even that is no guarantee.  It's disheartening seeing the guy in charge so clueless. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

The 2020 Scripps National Spelling Bee has been C-A-N-C-E-L-E-D for the first time since 1945 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The event, established in 1925 for elementary and middle school children, was last canceled from 1943 to 1945 due to World War II. The next bee will be held from June 1 to 3, 2021, the organization said Tuesday. Scripps had announced March 20 that it was temporarily suspending the national finals in hopes of rescheduling.

“Our hearts go out to the spellers who won’t get their final shot at winning because of the pandemic and the difficult decisions it is prompting us to make,” said Paige Kimble, executive director of the Scripps National Spelling Bee, in a statement. “They are now part of a widely expanding group of children and adults who are missing out on opportunities due to the coronavirus.”

How will we cope.

8 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Our hearts go out to the spellers who won’t get their final shot at winning because of the pandemic and the difficult decisions it is prompting us to make,” said Paige Kimble, executive director of the Scripps National Spelling Bee, in a statement. “They are now part of a widely expanding group of children and adults who are missing out on opportunities due to the coronavirus.”

Would be nice to think these nerds are getting out on a razor/bike, and going up and down the block with the stupider kids.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes.  Sadly a lot of this shit devolves into that. I think I read they limit crowds to 50.  But not much else in terms of hard limits.  I don’t see why it has to be us vs them...

Shit, I hope anything that leads to us opening up faster ends up the ‘right’ move.  Get me the fuck out again...

I think the big thing was they didn't close restaurants/bars/movie theaters/schools.  I'm guessing their plateau will be longer.

After we reach the downside of the curve, could we all agree to wear masks everywhere in public, bars and restaurants can lower capacity and set up distancing, let bars, restaurants, breweries, and liquor stores continue curbside and delivery, and office workers can also return, with masks, distancing protocols, and tons of sanitizer on every desk. I guess it only works if and when there is widespread testing and the ability to identify where there have been cases (i.e., "cases have been traced to the Home Depot on 10th Street during the last several days. If you were there, please quarantine for 14 days). It won't be the same, but it's something. And only if the doctors say it would be safe enough to not overwhelm the healthcare system or put people at inordinate risk.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away