Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

After we reach the downside of the curve, could we all agree to wear masks everywhere in public, bars and restaurants can lower capacity and set up distancing, let bars, restaurants, breweries, and liquor stores continue curbside and delivery, and office workers can also return, with masks, distancing protocols, and tons of sanitizer on every desk.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think the big thing was they didn't close restaurants/bars/movie theaters/schools.  I'm guessing their plateau will be longer.

Yep...Life isn't fair - their population isn't as dense.  I don't think we need a one size fits all policy here stateside. 

I do feel much safer about opening things up if we were testing/tracing a lot more.  Testing without tracing isn't nearly as effective.  Let's see how things shake out the next two weeks.  Some really smart MF are working on all of this.  And I maintain this is still the greatest country in the world when it comes to innovation... Our demise has been greatly exaggerated. 

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes.  Sadly a lot of this shit devolves into that. I think I read they limit crowds to 50.  But not much else in terms of hard limits.  I don’t see why it has to be us vs them...

Shit, I hope anything that leads to us opening up faster ends up the ‘right’ move.  Get me the fuck out again...

You could probably score cheap 50 yard line tickets for the Texas-OU game in October....if it is actually played.

Yeah I have lots of posts in the CR, I enjoyed going there to mix it up, but it's become a bunch of echo chamber, self righteous pricks. Not everyone of course, but enough of the usual suspects that it's just a beating to even look in at times.   Getting called a racist or a trumpkin because you don't agree with the cabals jihad message is boring, and pretty lame.   I don't neg rep people because I don't agree with their comments, and if I do/did, on those very rare occasions I say why I'm doing it. 
I don't believe my opinion is the ONLY answer, it's just an opinion.  The Cabal doesn't tolerate opinions that differ from theirs. You're wrong, I'm right, and you're an asshole.  My team is the only good team, and yours is always wrong, and is the one doing all the horrible things in our country, 100% of the time.

This example of victim complex reads like it was copied and pasted from texags.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

On the packing plant progress, cattle capacity utilization fell to about 70% today, hogs fell to about 65%, hopefully cattle can comeback a little to tomorrow if Tyson in Dakota City is back up, and they can get a Saturday shift. Hogs badly need to get something unfucked between everybody but Seaboard fucking up things horribly. Packers have good enough margins here that they could shoot every 3rd animal and toss them in a hole outback instead of processing, and still make money, and that would probably be the best thing for the cattle and hog guys at this point. 

Sigh.  My wife's beloved aunt (seriously, like a second mother) is dying -- has maybe a week or two left (not COVID, just a sharp decline of an old woman).  We've debated it, and have decided that I'll put her on a plane to Phoenix on Friday.  Will be a SWA direct flight, figure the airport and plane will be pretty empty.  She'll mask up, and have plenty of hand sanitizer and wipes and such for her seat.  She'll rent a car to get to Tucson, will stay in a back room at her cousin's house, keeping her distance.  Her cousin has lots of PPE (she's a microbiologist), so she'll be able to wear masks, gloves, lab coat, etc. when she visits her aunt.  They will allow one person at a time into the one room at hospice (they don't have any cases there right now).  So, doing all we can to keep any risk of exposure super low, but knowing that there is some inherent risk in moving about (of course, I was flying right before the lockdown, when the chance of exposure was probably much higher, so there's that).

What weird fucking times.

God knows when we'll have an actual memorial service.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

On the packing plant progress, cattle capacity utilization fell to about 70% today, hogs fell to about 65%, hopefully cattle can comeback a little to tomorrow if Tyson in Dakota City is back up, and they can get a Saturday shift. Hogs badly need to get something unfucked between everybody but Seaboard fucking up things horribly. Packers have good enough margins here that they could shoot every 3rd animal and toss them in a hole outback instead of processing, and still make money, and that would probably be the best thing for the cattle and hog guys at this point. 

low prices from beef packers damned sure aren't being reflected at the meat counter.

3 minutes ago, Iceman said:

low prices from beef packers damned sure aren't being reflected at the meat counter.

Yeah, we don't have enough healthy workers to process the ready cattle. There's more ready cattle than packers can handle, so their cheap, and there's more beef demand than the packers can meet, so it's expensive. Bottlenecks rarely favor the consumer. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

After we reach the downside of the curve, could we all agree to wear masks everywhere in public, bars and restaurants can lower capacity and set up distancing, let bars, restaurants, breweries, and liquor stores continue curbside and delivery, and office workers can also return, with masks, distancing protocols, and tons of sanitizer on every desk. I guess it only works if and when there is widespread testing and the ability to identify where there have been cases (i.e., "cases have been traced to the Home Depot on 10th Street during the last several days. If you were there, please quarantine for 14 days). It won't be the same, but it's something. And only if the doctors say it would be safe enough to not overwhelm the healthcare system or put people at inordinate risk.

Probably where we're headed in most major cities. Try to make it work and have contingency plans to move back to SIP in the event of a second wave. There isn't going to be mass testing at this point, so just going to roll the dice without it.

I don't know if this opinion is mainstream or not, but I don't know how much my behavior is going to change. I am still going to keep working remotely - maybe pop in the office once a week or something. I'll probably keep avoiding bars and restaurants at the very least. A mask is necessary but so impractical at those places. I know I should avoid the gym too but fuck me I need to lift.

I worry about small communities around national parks. You know a ton of people are going to try to get out and visit those over the summer. A lot of those places aren't necessarily equipped to handle a COVID outbreak.

30 minutes ago, 'stache said:

After we reach the downside of the curve, could we all agree to wear masks everywhere in public, bars and restaurants can lower capacity and set up distancing, let bars, restaurants, breweries, and liquor stores continue curbside and delivery, and office workers can also return, with masks, distancing protocols, and tons of sanitizer on every desk. I guess it only works if and when there is widespread testing and the ability to identify where there have been cases (i.e., "cases have been traced to the Home Depot on 10th Street during the last several days. If you were there, please quarantine for 14 days). It won't be the same, but it's something. And only if the doctors say it would be safe enough to not overwhelm the healthcare system or put people at inordinate risk.

My local Walmart, which happens to be the grocery store of choice for most, says they will have curbside pickup sometime in late May. 
the 1/4 sized Albertsons seems to have no intention to do anything at all.  
it’s as if no positive tests means do as little as possible to keep it under control. 

normally, mid May is when people from all over the world start pouring into town on their way to or from the park. We’ll see what happens then. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

41 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Would be nice to think these nerds are getting out on a razor/bike, and going up and down the block with the stupider kids.

Some of them don’t even know how to ride bikes.  I’ve seen at least 3 different kids that should be between 6-8 grade learning how to ride bikes with their parents since this shit has started.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Sucks about the BEE. I liked to get loaded and watch the finals for the lolz every year.

So much this^^^.  It's a smorgasbord of the most socially awkward kiddos from all over the nation getting their moment in the spotlight.  Thus making them that much more awkward.

11 hours ago, Constant said:

Starts pretty slow with lots of info we're all well aware of, but gets pretty great when he dives into exactly what happens in the lungs and else where. Really connected a lot of dots for me.

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Some of them don’t even know how to ride bikes.  I’ve seen at least 3 different kids that should be between 6-8 grade learning how to ride bikes with their parents since this shit has started.  

They should know how to drive by then.

Wow.

Can they really not figure out a way to keep the spellers 6 feet away from each other? Don't really see how the spelling bee has to be canceled.

****actually I guess it has more to do with the preliminaries and schools and shit.

Edited by po elvis

1 hour ago, Hate said:

According to the post from Dahobbs, the idea that Sweden “roamed free” is incorrect. The government may not have shut things down like they did here, but he is post suggested that they practiced social distancing and didn’t gather in large crowds. The post that began that discussion was just a hit piece about how much the US sucks...as per usual.

What post are you talking about? I didn't read anything that said that. 

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Probably where we're headed in most major cities. Try to make it work and have contingency plans to move back to SIP in the event of a second wave. There isn't going to be mass testing at this point, so just going to roll the dice without it.

I don't know if this opinion is mainstream or not, but I don't know how much my behavior is going to change. I am still going to keep working remotely - maybe pop in the office once a week or something. I'll probably keep avoiding bars and restaurants at the very least. A mask is necessary but so impractical at those places. I know I should avoid the gym too but fuck me I need to lift.

I worry about small communities around national parks. You know a ton of people are going to try to get out and visit those over the summer. A lot of those places aren't necessarily equipped to handle a COVID outbreak.

Same here. I'll mostly buy from the local breweries and liquor store and socialize through small home gatherings. I'll probably buy more takeout, but we weren't eating out a lot even before COVID, so I don't know how much help I'll be. I like that they are an option and I don't want them to close. I'll be doing a lot more backyard grilling and bbq.

27 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You're probably worse off at the gym than a bar.  But I'm with you -- I'm likely say fuck it and get back into my lifting routine to restore my sanity.

I'll probably avoid restaurants for the most part, except for the occasional meal at a couple of the smaller neighborhood spots.  But I'll enjoy one post-quarantine celebratory trip to the patio at Woodrow's on Burnet, even if I look like a dork for putting my mask on in between gulps. 

4 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

100% behind this.
My dad is in the hospital for the 5th time since early March, first an aortic aneurysm repair and 4 followup visits and exploratory surgery tomorrow to find out whats still bleeding; well occasionally bleeding.
Anyway he's 89, but I've realized that his time may be near - but it's a struggle, but the worst part is not being able to go to the hospital and realizing that the last time I might have seen him was on his birthday 2 weeks ago through a window at his assisted living center. 
I've always thought it was weird that people took long journeys for a last visit to an aging relative who was near passing, seemed overly emotional, people need to deal with reality and quit being such a pussy. And then this happens, and I realize that I am a big fucking pussy....fuck it's getting dusty in here typing this one out. 

Feeling you, man.  It's a tough balance to strike....but this shit is important.  Like, the most important.  What a world.

6 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

100% behind this.
My dad is in the hospital for the 5th time since early March, first an aortic aneurysm repair and 4 followup visits and exploratory surgery tomorrow to find out whats still bleeding; well occasionally bleeding.
Anyway he's 89, but I've realized that his time may be near - but it's a struggle, but the worst part is not being able to go to the hospital and realizing that the last time I might have seen him was on his birthday 2 weeks ago through a window at his assisted living center. 
I've always thought it was weird that people took long journeys for a last visit to an aging relative who was near passing, seemed overly emotional, people need to deal with reality and quit being such a pussy. And then this happens, and I realize that I am a big fucking pussy....fuck it's getting dusty in here typing this one out. 

definitely going to be some trauma centered around the loss of loved ones, not getting to be there with them and lack of closure

sorry you are going through this at such an unfortunate time

40 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Read that as "maybe poop in the office once a week..."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Parts of Colorado/Denver reopening may 1. My haircut place emailed they’d be taking appointments beginning May 1 with super duper extra precautions and Extra sanitizing  

so the Brazilian is still a go?

looks like we will get the Tuesday spike again.  1point3 shows 1324 with NJ/Mass/Conn/Illinois/Mich still to report.  Texas still leading the large state pack with 2.7 CCFR

also, covidtracking has a pending case column that was running 16-17K a day for 2 weeks and the last 4 days shows 10K. good sign I suppose assuming the data set they have been getting is consistent.

Edited by dcar00

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You're probably worse off at the gym than a bar.  But I'm with you -- I'm likely say fuck it and get back into my lifting routine to restore my sanity.

I'll probably avoid restaurants for the most part, except for the occasional meal at a couple of the smaller neighborhood spots.  But I'll enjoy one post-quarantine celebratory trip to the patio at Woodrow's on Burnet, even if I look like a dork for putting my mask on in between gulps. 

You may as well not wear one if you’re going to do that 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/21/de-blasios-social-distancing-tip-line-flooded-with-obscenities/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

De Blasio’s social distancing (just the) tip line flooded with penis photos, Hitler memes

Mayor Bill de Blasio’s critics let him know how they really felt about him ordering New Yorkers to snitch on each other for violating social-distancing rules — by flooding his new tip line with crank complaints including “dick pics” and people flipping the bird, The Post has learned.

Photos of extended middle fingers, the mayor dropping the Staten Island groundhog and news coverage of him going to the gym have all been texted to a special tip line that de Blasio announced Saturday, according to screenshots posted on Twitter.

One user sent the message “We will fight this tyrannical overreach!” to the service and got an automated message that in part said, “Hello, and thank you for texting NYC311.”

“F–k you!” replied @MorganLSchmidt1, along with a meme showing Adolph Hitler and the words “TO THOSE TURNING IN YOUR NEIGHBORS AND LOCAL BUSINESSES — YOU DID THE REICH THING.”

“Start flooding their reporting text numbers with this pics!” the tweet added.

Other profane messages included a photo of a bowl of gummy candies in the shape of male genitalia and a sign saying “EAT A BAG OF D–KS.”

It was not immediately clear whether any of the posters actually lived in New York City.

An NYPD source said that “dick pic” photos of real penises have also been texted to 311, and a caller phoned in a tip that de Blasio was seen performing oral sex on someone “in an alleyway behind a 7-11” early Sunday.

“He looked at me…and coofed in my direction,” the caller said, according to a photo of the 311 operator’s computer screen provided to The Post.

“Coof” is a newly coined term for coughing while infected with the coronavirus, according to the Urban Dictionary website....(snip)[/No Bobbitt]

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'll probably avoid restaurants for the most part, except for the occasional meal at a couple of the smaller neighborhood spots.  But I'll enjoy one post-quarantine celebratory trip to the patio at Woodrow's on Burnet, even if I look like a dork for putting my mask on in between gulps

Just like your mom /obligatory 

How and when did this smack talk nonsense about South Austin's mom even get started? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

“He looked at me…and coofed in my direction,” the caller said, according to a photo of the 311 operator’s computer screen provided to The Post.

“Coof” is a newly coined term for coughing while infected with the coronavirus, according to the Urban Dictionary website....(snip)[/No Bobbitt]

I was really hoping "coofed" had a more deviant meaning than that 

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away