Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

PR wise Disney cannot risk being pinpointed as a hot spot.

Talk about a media feeding frenzy.  Andersoon Cooper would setup shop there.

It's been many years since I visited Disney World, , but the last time I went, I saw a lot of people with...underlying conditions.

And that place would be a nightmare to clean.  I would assume they would shut it down for a a few weeks.  Maybe they could setup dorms for their cast members to stay in quarantine, like those Chinese factory workers. 

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Real question.

We are wearing homemade masks whenever going out to CVS or doing curbside service. Have hand washed them with Woolite, but am wondering if we can “sterilize” them with our infrared heat lamp?

Real answer.

I hear you can pee on your masks to sterilize.

• Like 1

For your morning livestock update. Fresh pork was up again but seems to be leveling off for bellies, still about 8 bucks below the spike high. Had a client tell me today that the pork integrator he feeds for got his buildings clear a couple weeks ago, and restocked, but they are now 15-20 loads backed up overall as they can only get so many into Fremont(Hormel), and Smithfield in Crete is swamped with Sioux Falls overrrun, and Seaboard in St. Joe is taking member owners first and only has a little spare capacity.

Beef values surged again but choice looks to be leveling off some and that is the bulk of your supply. Cow plants seem to be holding up better labor wise but are swamped with dairy and beef fulls which should help to hold ground beef down a bit overtime. Client with ready cattle in Kansas is backed up on three loads currently going to Dodge City  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yeah- I’ve seen/heard that kind of thing. 

Somt get me wrong- I will comply bc that’s what I do and have complied with everything else even shutting myself down before an order came around. But I will be rolling my eyes underneath my bandana. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Real question.

We are wearing homemade masks whenever going out to CVS or doing curbside service. Have hand washed them with Woolite, but am wondering if we can “sterilize” them with our infrared heat lamp?

Soap and water takes care of this particular virus.  Are you worried about something else?

3 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Real answer.

I hear you can pee on your masks to sterilize.

Wait, I thought that was the radiator?  

Just now, ouflak said:

You mean one that's still open?

Westernwear isn't considered essential?  I guess it is, now...

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Exactly my thought when I typed that- like taking off the shoes at the airport. 

Some comedian has a bit, more of a social commentary, about how tsa screening doesn’t make you safer but it’s designed to make travelers FEEL safer. Placebo effect. These masks could be the same deal. Or they could actually help. 

Channel 2 just ran a story about the $60 million spent for the tent hospital to sit empty in the Astrodome parking lot.  It's easy to take shots at that now but I haven't studied the hospitalization data enough to know what to think.  I don't think Houston ever got all that close to capacity but I also don't know what the lag time would have been to get the tents up and running if things took a turn for the worse.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Some comedian has a bit, more of a social commentary, about how tsa screening doesn’t make you safer but it’s designed to make travelers FEEL safer. Placebo effect. These masks could be the same deal. Or they could actually help. 

I think it’s probably societal placebo affect. I hate taking off shoes at the airport and that entire tsa drill but I’m in a small minority on that. I’ve never figured I’m normal and don’t think how most do so I just shake my head and do what I’m told because in my heart I’m a sheeple just like everyone else. 

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- I’ve seen/heard that kind of thing. 

Somt get me wrong- I will comply bc that’s what I do and have complied with everything else even shutting myself down before an order came around. But I will be rolling my eyes underneath my bandana. 

The studies they referenced were primarily looking at whether healthy people wearing masks prevent infection. The article also talks about the other mechanism (wearing of masks by sick people to prevent healthy people from getting sick):

"Do masks protect others?

Could masks protect others from the virus that might have been spread by the mask wearer? A recent Hong Kong laboratory study found some evidence masks may prevent the spread of viruses from the wearer.

They took people with influenza-like symptoms, gave half of them masks and half no masks, and for 30 minutes collected viruses from the air they breathed out, including coughs.

Masks did reduce the amounts of droplets and aerosols containing detectable amounts of virus. But only 17 of the 111 subjects had a coronavirus, and these were not the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus. While the study is promising, it needs to be repeated urgently.

We also don't know how this reduction of aerosols and droplets translates to reduction of infections in the real world. If there is an effect, it may be diluted by several factors such as ill people who don't wear a mask and "well" people who have no symptoms but are still carrying and spreading the virus."

We don't know that it works for sure, but there is a reasonable mechanism of action that could theoretically reduce spread, we have scientific evidence that the mechanism itself (reducing virus containing droplets in the air) actually occurs. And, we have nations that have been previously affected by respiratory illnesses (1) adopting the use of masks, and (2) showing generally slower spread of the virus. 

• Like 1

Channel 2 just ran a story about the $60 million spent for the tent hospital to sit empty in the Astrodome parking lot.  It's easy to take shots at that now but I haven't studied the hospitalization data enough to know what to think.  I don't think Houston ever got all that close to capacity but I also don't know what the lag time would have been to get the tents up and running if things took a turn for the worse.

Greenspoint has a sad.
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Real question.

Just leave it alone for a couple of days.

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

In hindsight, we definitely overbuilt in Houston. Could money have been better spent or not spent at all? I'm sure that money can always been spent in better ways after all of the facts are in.

25 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I am curious, did the podcast address drug overdoses and suicides?  It is my understanding that those among other negatives are on the rise during the quarantine.

You're not allowed to speak of any square on the Rubic's Cube besides the Covid-19 one.

Moose outside shoulda toldya!

Binary mindset only.  Kthxbai!

I read that NYC has approx 1.2M people over 65.  I wonder how the normal number of beds and ICU beds in NYC per person over 65 compares to other large metro cities?  it seems that doing that analysis might be good for future preparedness.  normally older folks are going to get hospitalized at a higher rate during epidemic/pandemic outbreaks.

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

@Armybrat in all seriousness I think I live near you. Avery Ranch. If you or your wife need stuff let me know. Not a joke. 

how does not one single poster know this movie? 

Looks like we’ll have a threesome story out of this whole quarantine time

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So- this is completely about form over substance and if we comply in this way we will in no way, shape or form be any safer?  
Cool. Sounds like an awesome thing for the government to mandate. 

Is covering your cough with your arm form over substance? Washing hands with soap? These are basic and easy steps that if we all adopted would help slow the spread of viruses. They teach it in Prek. You’ll see posters in doctor’s offices.

Wearing a face covering is not locking it down, but it helps. If you don’t want to be part of the solution, then stay out of public spaces and don’t be part of the problem. If you want to reopen the economy, we need have uniform policies of distancing, gathering, and covering.

A “lets everyone do whatever they want” is the best way to prolong this economic and healthcare catastrophe.
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

@Armybrat in all seriousness I think I live near you. Avery Ranch. If you or your wife need stuff let me know. Not a joke. 

how does not one single poster know this movie? 

Thanks, we’re good though - our oldest son lives close to our Brushy Creek neighborhood (Meadows of BC).

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Knew a guy whose mom named him after Patrick, not John.  Totally fucked up.

Look, the way a person dresses is nobody's business but his or her own.

But can you post a video of dancing horse? That is my favorite part. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away