Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

First.....????

Second....because one of those things we can still change?  We can't change how the virus arose, or how it got out of China....but we CAN change how it is managed here.  Rational discussion of problems should probably be focused on the immediate-term problems that can actually be solved, don't you think?  I mean, when a patient shows up with a dangerously high fever, I don't think the sound treatment plan would be for the doctors to spend their time discussing how the virus probably came from Timbuktu, and how the patient probably was stupid and exposed himself by hanging out in a crowd.....the better plan is probably getting the fever under control and saving the patient.  Then, we can learn things from the patient, and maybe not repeat mistakes -- his and ours -- in the future.  But being that we're still in the acute phase, it's pretty reasonable that discussion is focused on the metaphorical "treatment."

I believe he's saying we need to continue pursuing its origin, so that if it DID originate in a lab, we can attempt to get information from those who were first studying it, and perhaps gain a better understanding of its fundamental nature.  And I agree with that 100%, it would be incredibly stupid NOT to pursue that information.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Was my guess (hope really) but the couple clicks I made didn’t reveal any original intent or change, and this is making its way around certain segments of social media. 

People that scored a 740 on their PSAT make up those segments.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

This is from the 26th. 

In Tennessee, a total of 9,667 people have tested positive for COVID-19, 181 people have died, 828 people have been hospitalized and 4,527 people have recovered from the virus, according to the Tennessee Department of Health.

I meant from the same delta T as the largest case jump that they've seen. Curious if it could just be increased testing that is causing more confirmed cases.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I believe he's saying we need to continue pursuing its origin, so that if it DID originate in a lab, we can attempt to get information from those who were first studying it, and perhaps gain a better understanding of its fundamental nature.  And I agree with that 100%, it would be incredibly stupid NOT to pursue that information.

Exactly.

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Are you saying this isn't being done?  Are there instances out there with patients being turned away?  Nor are these mutually exclusive.  We can do all the above equally well.  As has been the SOP for virtually every new outbreak.  

It's a metaphor.  America has this virus.   It seems that devoting our attention and talking points to variations of "China sucks" does jack shit to help us deal with the virus that is now here and has to be managed here.  But, I mean, "China sucks" feels better, and appeals to that greatest of human desires -- to wrap ourselves comfortably in the blanket of "it's not my fault, someone else is to blame."  Personally, I think you put a pin in the post-mortem to deal with later, and devote your attention and energy to handling the acute crisis.

When the ship hits an iceberg, it's silly to spend a moment arguing about whose responsibility it was to spot and warn for icebergs -- all efforts should be focused on pumping out the water and keeping the ship afloat.  When it's all over, we'll figure out what went wrong and whose fault it was.  

• Like 3

So on the afternoon livestock front, cattle packing plant runs were down 5K week on week, so we are killing about 40K less a day than we need to, some of the plants that were supposed to be back today were delayed until later in the week, hogs were down about 43K from last week, and about 150K less than we need to. 

I think at this point the number of COVID cases is not especially helpful. Of course it is increasing almost entirely because of moving from zero to 10 mph on testing. Too late. 

Hospital admissions, ICU, and death rate matter now. Those are the curves to watch. For policy I would ignore the new cases curve. Kinda pathetic that's where we are. 

Antibody testing? Now you have my attention. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's a metaphor.  America has this virus.   It seems that devoting our attention and talking points to variations of "China sucks" does jack shit to help us deal with the virus that is now here and has to be managed here.  But, I mean, "China sucks" feels better, and appeals to that greatest of human desires -- to wrap ourselves comfortably in the blanket of "it's not my fault, someone else is to blame."  Personally, I think you put a pin in the post-mortem to deal with later, and devote your attention and energy to handling the acute crisis.

When the ship hits an iceberg, it's silly to spend a moment arguing about whose responsibility it was to spot and warn for icebergs -- all efforts should be focused on pumping out the water and keeping the ship afloat.  When it's all over, we'll figure out what went wrong and whose fault it was.  

You should take a knee on this one

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Now do college recruiting....

As stated, these are not mutually exclusive actions.  We, on the sidelines of the scientific community can wax poetic as much as we want.  Nor do we have any indication that the medical community is NOT able to multitask on mitigating the issues and both ascertaining the origins of the issue.  Again, as we have pretty much done on every prior outbreak.  There is a layer of nuance that seems lost here...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

So on the afternoon livestock front, cattle packing plant runs were down 5K week on week, so we are killing about 40K less a day than we need to, some of the plants that were supposed to be back today were delayed until later in the week, hogs were down about 43K from last week, and about 150K less than we need to. 

That’s great and all but could you please include the Chinese wet market numbers in your daily briefings? Thanks.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

How are the bat numbers looking?

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What about dealing with the people that insist there was no iceberg and it’s all a ploy to cede more control to the wheelhouse?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

A JBS beef plant in Wisconsin and a Smithfield pork plant in Nebraska are going on shutdown.  However, it sounds like the Sioux Falls pork plant will restart this week.

7 minutes ago, Parliament said:

A JBS beef plant in Wisconsin and a Smithfield pork plant in Nebraska are going on shutdown.  However, it sounds like the Sioux Falls pork plant will restart this week.

Smithfield hasn't shut Crete down yet, they pulled two in Illinois instead. Tyson-Dakota City is still supposed supposed to restart this week, and JBS in Grand Island is supposed have turned the corner. I'd just Tyson in Madison will go down before Smithfield in Crete does. 

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Well, fuck the Chicoms.... the Aussies, Americans, and Europeans don’t need to buy all the cheap shit that enables those tourists to act like Ugly Americans.

Apple supposedly is already starting to move some of their operations back to the US, and I suspect a lot of other industries will follow suit.

Our homegrown manufacturing needs to be reenergized so we don’t reply on those assholes for so much of our critical needs.

Yeah, I’ll pay more for better quality US made shit.

*depend on those assholes*

Smithfield hasn't shut Crete down yet, they pulled two in Illinois instead. Tyson-Dakota City is still supposed supposed to restart this week, and JBS in Grand Island is supposed have turned the corner. I'd just Tyson in Madison will go down before Smithfield in Crete does. 

No idea how processing plants are laid out and staffed, but I image they are not spacing people out 6' from one another.  I have seen other assembly lines (different industry) space the employees out 6'  and this will cut throughput, but keep the employees somewhat safer and I have not seen the drastic levels of infection.

Those fucking Cretans have controlled the pork markets since 2700 BC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

No idea how processing plants are laid out and staffed, but I image they are not spacing people out 6' from one another.  I have seen other assembly lines (different industry) space the employees out 6'  and this will cut throughput, but keep the employees somewhat safer and I have not seen the drastic levels of infection.

They're pretty well shoulder to shoulder. Not really another way to do it.

9 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

They're pretty well shoulder to shoulder. Not really another way to do it.

and they are cold and wet.  They are the perfect environment for the virus to spread in.

Edited by kevwun

Abbott press conference on now. Looks like they're considering us to have already passed "Phase 1" re-opening guidelines. "Phase 2"starts today.

Edit: That was a different chart. Phase 1 of re-opening starts Friday. Phase 2 on May 18 if data stays steady.

Edited by Storm the Field

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Preventing people from wet markets changes our entire relationship with the natural world?  

Shrinking from 7B to 5B people would have disastrous consequences. Remember what your grandparents told you about the Great Depression, and then multiply by some unquantified magnitude of at least 2x. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11802397

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep, I had seen overall numbers way down but if there's a lot less trains running and less capacity, what you have passenger wise will end up more concentrated so...that drop off won't really show when it comes to spread slowing down.  We need accurate antibody testing.  And a lot more of it.  Also tracing as well...all this should lead to us opening up faster/safer and who doesn't want that?

Can they just not shut them down and walk, Uber, bike to work?  

45 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

22 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Yeah I bet it’s a real labyrinth 

14 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Phase 1 of re-opening starts Friday. Phase 2 on May 18 if data stays steady.

Most Retail allowed to re-open at 25% capacity in Phase 1 - If CV19 stays contained the Phase 2 re-opens more.

Counties below some threshold allow to open at 50% capacity.

Some things not allowed to re-open at this time: gyms, barbershops, hair cutting. 

With only 66 people currently hospitalized at this time in the 5-county Austin MSA, this seems reasonable.

1 minute ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Most Retail allowed to re-open at 25% capacity in Phase 1 - If CV19 stays contained the Phase 2 re-opens more.

Some things not allowed to re-open at this time: gyms, barbershops, hair cutting. 

With only 66 people currently hospitalized at this time in the 5-county Austin MSA, this seems reasonable.

ballgame.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

smh at these posts.  we can have multiple discussions at the same time.  and if my ship hits an iceberg, you damn well better be sure I want to know where that iceberg is so i don't hit it again.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Any idea what the threshold is? 

• Like 1

Just now, LebongJames said:

Also how are restaurants going to feel at 25% capacity? Are you going to be allowed to sit at the bar?

Better be, as that's where the margins are.  Guessing so, as occupancy is not specific to certain parts of the establishment.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away