Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Whats your point?
No point other than you have to start somewhere.

Net loss is not a good long term business plan. But if you can get crafty with the $45 in GA costs, maybe you can make it work until phase 2. Maybe waiting until phase 2 is the better choice, but by then who knows what meat prices will look like.

This virus doesn't affect everyone the same. Opening Luby's doors wide open vs opening Hat Creek's doors wide open will have two varying effects on the community.

Dumb question amnesty request: I don't get the closed restaurant/food supply chain debacle connection. I'm going to eat the same amount of bacon whether I eat it at home or at IHOP. Same amount of bacon bought from the pig farm either way.  Is it the restrictions on export causing it? 

Well shit. 

Argentina on Monday banned all commercial flight ticket sales until September, one of the toughest coronavirus travel bans in the world, prompting an industry outcry that the new measure will put too much strain on airlines and airports.
While the country's borders have been closed since March, the new decree goes further by banning until Sept. 1 the sale and purchase of commercial flights to, from or within Argentina. The decree, signed by the National Civil Aviation Administration, said it was "understood to be reasonable" to implement the restrictions, without elaborating.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200428-argentina-stops-all-flights-until-1-september-sparking-outcry?ref=tw_i

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Dumb question amnesty request: I don't get the closed restaurant/food supply chain debacle connection. I'm going to eat the same amount of bacon whether I eat it at home or at IHOP. Same amount of bacon bought from the pig farm either way.  Is it the restrictions on export causing it? 

I'm gonna guess if you want to eat 2 lbs of bacon you buy 2 lbs of bacon.  If you want to eat it a restaurant they have thrown away x pounds of bacon that they could no longer use keeping around enough bacon to feed you your 2 lbs.

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Well shit. 

Argentina on Monday banned all commercial flight ticket sales until September, one of the toughest coronavirus travel bans in the world, prompting an industry outcry that the new measure will put too much strain on airlines and airports.
While the country's borders have been closed since March, the new decree goes further by banning until Sept. 1 the sale and purchase of commercial flights to, from or within Argentina. The decree, signed by the National Civil Aviation Administration, said it was "understood to be reasonable" to implement the restrictions, without elaborating.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200428-argentina-stops-all-flights-until-1-september-sparking-outcry?ref=tw_i

I was able to return from Argentina on a chartered flight a month ago. I don’t believe there have been any other flights from there to the USA since. If I hadn’t caught that flight I probably would have been stuck there until 9/1.

The kirchneristas are fucking crazy.

Edited by XYZ
  • Like 2

No,  In a regardedly oversimplified example

precovid model
sell $100
food and labor costs $50
overhead/SGA $45
net $5

post covid
sell $25
food labor $12.5
overhead $ 45
loss $ 32.5
They need to more than double the price, at 1/4 the volume to make 5%

I’m curious what percentage of Texas restaurants have applied for and received the PPP loan. That would help out with labor and overhead for 8 weeks, so your post-COVID numbers don’t end up nearly as bad.

Also, for the many restaurants doing takeout, they already have their kitchen running and food supply incoming. It seems that opening their doors for 25% capacity dine-in would increase business with the only additional cost being waitstaff and a hostess.

Not saying they still wouldn’t operate at a loss, but a smaller loss surely beats a full loss of overhead expenses by doing no business at all.

can a restaurant remain open for only takeout? i mean without any penalty? i've been to a couple that appeared to be doing very brisk takeout business. not having to pay most staff but still able to sell product seems like it might be a viable angle.

of course, that doesn't help the staff that aren't working. 

hope they keep the alcohol to go either way. that's been nice. 

15 minutes ago, mchookem said:

can a restaurant remain open for only takeout? i mean without any penalty? i've been to a couple that appeared to be doing very brisk takeout business. not having to pay most staff but still able to sell product seems like it might be a viable angle.

of course, that doesn't help the staff that aren't working. 

hope they keep the alcohol to go either way. that's been nice. 

I think the alcohol to go has a good chance of staying to be honest.  Pretty hard to shut Pandora’s Box.   

But the square footage problem just doesn’t make sense for prolonged To-Go only model for most places.   

It really will force more places to examine the model going forward.  Going to be a lot of changes.  

Iran trying to prove they are the Oklahoma/Florida of the neck of the woods.   

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/apr/27/methanol-coronavirus-cure-kills-700-iran/

The false belief that toxic methanol cures the coronavirus has seen over 700 people killed in Iran, an official said Monday.

That represents a higher death toll than so far released by the Iranian Health Ministry.

An adviser to the ministry, Hossein Hassanian, said that the difference in death tallies is because some alcohol poisoning victims died outside of hospital.

wonder if we will ever get their actual numbers.   

3 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

It’s my one time to shine during this, and given the terrible takes I see on subject(especially on Texags, who should have somebody who knows better for fucks sake) I feel like the people here should know what’s going on. 

You, @ChiTownDoc and @RayDog have dropped some very unique knowledge in this thread about things that most of us have never considered before.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Raise price on every entree $2.50 and $1every drink.  Customers may grumble but will be happy that they are able to get them.  While not a solution, may not give enough cushion to ride out the tide a little longer.

( Just plug in numbers, but you get the idea)

Initially, maybe - but you will quickly run into price elasticity issues.  Patronizing a restaurant is one thing.  Charity is another.  I'd invert the model and actually drop prices on food and raise them on drinks (where the margins are highest).  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, po elvis said:

I read profit margin for a full service restaurant is like 5%. So on $20, there is profit of $1. If restaurants are capped at 25%, they can add $3 to every $20 worth of food. So a meal costing $20 would become $23. The price you have to pay if you want to eat out at a restaurant right now. Now the servers would be getting screwed because they wouldn't be making much off the extra $3.

is this right?

Well, I’ve been tipping 50% for curbside takeout during the “lockdown”, so increasing the usual 20% for dining in to 25% wouldn’t be a problem IMO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I’m curious what percentage of Texas restaurants have applied for and received the PPP loan. That would help out with labor and overhead for 8 weeks, so your post-COVID numbers don’t end up nearly as bad.

At last count something like 5% of applications got filled and there has been all kinds of abuse where public companies with huge revenues got funds. The big banks are facing lawsuits over how they prioritized their large customers, etc. 

The little guys aren't getting shit so far. 

It will take well over $1 trillion to really fund this thing. Thats if Congress has the appetite, and businesses can hold out long enough. 

I bet 25% of restaurants and bars in Chicago dont make it through this. Terrible. 

15 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

The thing that I can’t square is if the above is true and it is as contagious as we think, why did it take so long (relative to expected spread) to impact NYC the way that it has? If it was running rampant a lot earlier then we would’ve expected January or February or early March to ramp up the death count, right?

The conflicting premises that bother me are that and also,

if this is as contagious as we think why would it take until March for it to reach the United States?  There were daily direct flights to SFO from Wuhan and direct flights to JFK.  

1 minute ago, bullzak said:

At last count something like 5% of applications got filled and there has been all kinds of abuse where public companies with huge revenues got funds. The big banks are facing lawsuits over how they prioritized their large customers, etc. 

The little guys aren't getting shit so far. 

It will take well over $1 trillion to really fund this thing. Thats if Congress has the appetite, and businesses can hold out long enough. 

I bet 25% of restaurants and bars in Chicago dont make it through this. Terrible. 

Yeah, my friend who runs a printing business in Detroit got screwed by his bank like you described. He is still waiting for his government bailout. He is not a happy camper.

15 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Damn you for linking another Los Bukis video. I was listening to their shit nonstop for a week after you posted the Tu Carcel video a while back. Marco Antonio Solis is playing at the AT&T Center in August - that is if we have concerts ever again.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

The conflicting premises that bother me are that and also,

if this is as contagious as we think why would it take until March for it to reach the United States?  There were daily direct flights to SFO from Wuhan and direct flights to JFK.  

It was tearing through nursing homes here in the US in February 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/21/us/coronavirus-nursing-home-kirkland-life-care.html

Posted this to the hypothetical thread but this one gets different posters.  I don't believe I've seen it posted here yet, it was published yesterday.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/04/27/1000569/how-long-are-people-immune-to-covid-19/

An article discussing how long immunity might be conferred to COVID19 patients, based on research into other coronavirii.  Some of them have shown reinfection within 6 months.  

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Well, I’ve been tipping 50% for curbside takeout during the “lockdown”, so increasing the usual 20% for dining in to 25% wouldn’t be a problem IMO.

Tips don't go to the restaurant.  That's great for the staff, and is awesome, but doesn't help with business viability.

12 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

can you copy and paste?

I don't want to be on the NYT email list.

Then people started getting sick.

Not sick like what happens all the time in a nursing home, the bad flus and septic infections and old bones that will not heal. This was different. In the last few days of February, people’s temperatures started going off the charts. Some could not breathe. Then came word that the coronavirus, the one in China that was all over the news, was right there in Kirkland, population 89,000.

Two Life Care residents died on Feb. 26, though it would be days before tests confirmed they had the coronavirus. And 911 records showed that more people were failing. A 60-year-old man was not responding to liter after liter of oxygen. One patient was fading in and out of consciousness. Another was turning blue.

The staff put the facility on lockdown. The halls emptied. Bedroom doors were closed.

Since the first positive tests at Life Care came back on Feb. 28, 129 people there — including 81 residents, about two-thirds of its population — have tested positive for the virus, and 35 people have died. Dozens of its workers have received coronavirus diagnoses, suggesting that the center’s frantic efforts to sanitize the building, quarantine residents and shield staff members with gowns and visors may have come too late.

The highlights.  For it to be so pervasive and killing off people at the end of February, it was rolling through there in mid-February.  

And they had a case in that area in January.   This didn’t creep up on the US.  

9 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Tips don't go to the restaurant.  That's great for the staff, and is awesome, but doesn't help with business viability.

We have been getting mostly standard TexMex takeout with large frozen margaritas, so the profit margin for the restaurant is probably better than the usual hash house.

Edited by Armybrat

21 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I just saw on the news that Texas has 666 deaths. Interesting. Also, kids at the courts in my neighborhood are playing basketball again. Certainly feels like things are returning to normal. 

This is out of about 29 million?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away