Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve got life insurance. My family will have to middle through on $1,000,000 and my maxed out SSI survivors benefits. They will be ok in the 0.05% likelihood I die (50/50 chance of getting it and 0.1% chance of death. I like my odds at 1/200)

Honestly if you gave me the choice I think I’d just as soon choose to get it now and be done with it then let this thing run it’s course. I figure we are all getting it at sometime (40-70% anyway) and I’d just as soon get it now and be done with it, quarantine myself- not be a spreader etc). 

Had a really good feeling I had it back in mid March after exposure to two positive cases and showing many symptoms. Couldn't get a test then because I never had a fever. Took the antibody test at Quest last week and it was positive. I must admit I feel like I've got some sort of superpower in that I have antibodies and likely some immunity for at least a little while. My wife took it and hers was negative. Otherwise, I'd said we would've gone down to sit on the patio at Katy Trail Icehouse (before they got shut down because they're really a bar after all.)

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some dipshit(s) spray painted in large letters across the back

"FUCK YOUR STOCK PORTFOLIO" with a crude stock chart showing the drops.  Great for the neighborhood families out on walks/bike rides.

One day the little Homo Erectus will wish he'd bought some stocks now.

• Like 3

Brazil is not doing well

Manaus, the capital of the state of Amazonas, has started digging mass graves for COVID-19 victims, and funeral homes fear they'll run out of wooden coffins in days. In Rio de Janeiro, pictures posted on Twitter showed bodies lined up outside a hospital because the morgue was full.

https://www.businessinsider.com/brazil-coronavirus-no-nationwide-lockdown-results-are-grim-2020-5

• Like 1

Meanwhile...

New Zealand has ‘effectively eliminated’ coronavirus. Here’s what they did right.

The island nation chose strict lockdowns and austerity. What’s next?

“A plan for success

If there is a bright spot in the global response to the pandemic, it is surely New Zealand. While governments worldwide have vacillated on how to respond and ensuing cases of the virus have soared, New Zealand has set an uncompromising, science-driven example. Though the country didn’t ban travel from China until February 3 (a day after the United States) and its trajectory of new cases looked out of control in mid-March, austerity measures seemingly have brought COVID-19 to heel.

The country began mandatory quarantines for all visitors on March 15, one of the strictest policies in the world at the time, even though there were just six cases nationwide. Just 10 days later, it instituted a complete, countrywide lockdown, including a moratorium on domestic travel. The Level 4 restrictions meant grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, and petrol stations were the only commerce allowed; vehicle travel was restricted; and social interaction was limited to within households.

“We must fight by going hard and going early,” Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said in a statement to the nation on March 14.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/travel/2020/04/what-new-zealand-did-right-in-battling-coronavirus

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

nope. follow local law. he can dive in the river. he can sit on the bank. he cannot go to the park. Simple. 

The officer was doing his job. Like it or not. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Yea, it’s a small island the size of Colorado but much more isolated. What’s your fucking point?

There are lessons to be learned from their policies that contained it within their borders. I would say their domestic travel was probably a big contributor to preventing it from spreading around their country. Conversely, Spring Breakers flying out from Florida all over the Northeast had the opposite effect. Same could be said about New Orleans.

• Like 3

Brazil is not doing well
Manaus, the capital of the state of Amazonas, has started digging mass graves for COVID-19 victims, and funeral homes fear they'll run out of wooden coffins in days. In Rio de Janeiro, pictures posted on Twitter showed bodies lined up outside a hospital because the morgue was full.
https://www.businessinsider.com/brazil-coronavirus-no-nationwide-lockdown-results-are-grim-2020-5

Not quoting left, not quoting right...but “business insider” is a click bait rag.

15 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s a metric fuckton of testing now vs 2 weeks ago.  Of course ‘reported cases’ are shooting up.  IL definitely isn’t going towards some new peak as we speak.  If they open up in some orderly fashion starting now it should be fine.  

sure,  Doc but i miss football, mama and gamgam. 

• Like 1

Oklahoma gonna Oklahoma

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/02/us/face-masks-stillwater-oklahoma-trnd/index.html

An emergency proclamation requiring face masks in stores and restaurants in Stillwater, Oklahoma, was nixed after store and restaurant owners received threats.

The proclamation was issued Thursday. Among other things, the order made businesses require patrons to cover their faces to combat the spread of coronavirus. 

But on Friday, Mayor Will Joyce softened the rule to encourage, not require, face coverings, after several reports emerged of employees being verbally abused and being threatened with physical violence while trying to enforce the order -- all in just three hours of the rule going into effect.

"Many of those with objections cite the mistaken belief the requirement is unconstitutional, and under their theory, one cannot be forced to wear a mask. No law or court supports this view," said City Manager Norman McNickle in a statement. "It is further distressing that these people, while exercising their believed rights, put others at risk."

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m sure it will be. We can’t disagree with each other anymore we have to hate each other and assign evil motives to each other’s thoughts/beliefs/actions. I’m complying with all legalities in everything I do- along with abiding by 6 foot social distancing guidelines and hand washing and the line.  I’m sure that won’t be enough for many and I will be told I’m a callous and unfeeling piece of shit. The waiter seemed to enjoy serving me and I’d bet he probably liked his 80% tip and was happy to get back to work, and I was happy to be at the restaurant but I’m sure neither of those things matters to some and it’s a mark of shame I went out to dine in before they deemed it appropriate. 

Calling people stupid for doing stupid shit isn't about hate, it's just pointing out the obvious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s a metric fuckton of testing now vs 2 weeks ago.  Of course ‘reported cases’ are shooting up.  IL definitely isn’t going towards some new peak as we speak.  If they open up in some orderly fashion starting now it should be fine.  

Out of curiosity what does “orderly fashion” look to you. 

What we are doing in Texas still seems too restrictive to me. I’d personally go with full opening of whoever wants to open (so 100% ish capacity), with the caveat that we don’t have any events with over 100 people in one place at a time, but I’m curious as to what you think.

It’s been interesting to read your take on this throughout. I get the sense you seem to think this is less scary than you thought 4-6 weeks ago- is that accurate? 

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If these random samples are true and it’s 40-80 times more prevalent than our testing indicates then the stupidity isn’t in engaging with the world as a heathy ish 41 year old, the stupidity is in locking yourself in a room to avoid getting essentially something less deadly than the flu. Even if those samples aren’t correct and it’s a much higher chance I die or am seriously hospitalized then is suggested by some of the new random sampling tests, if the immunologists are correct and 40-70% of us are going to get it anyway then it’s not worth sheltering in place for a year or two trying to avoid something that’s inevitable  

The SIP was put in place to flatten the curve and keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. That’s worked. Mission accomplished. Now let’s get back to life. Or don’t. That’s your call and you can make whatever call you want and I will support you in that. 

Stupid confirmed.

kMZbMnd.png

We've already eclipsed the deadliest flu season in the last decade (which is 4-5 months long and spread all across the country) vs 2 months of COVID deaths with most being in a few hot spots.

But keep fucking the "less deadly than the flu" chicken.

SIP has slowed the spread but we're back at square one now because a bunch of gun toting retards want to protest their right to enjoy shitty restaurant food surrounded by fellow retards rather than suffer the extreme burden of eating the same shit at their house. Muricah!

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Like 8
  • Fuck You 3

I can speak for Minnesota and ND... both are doing twice the daily testing compared to all of April. ND isn’t growing too much besides Fargo area. Minnesota is has seen days And nearly triple since last week.

Feel like April was just a waste of time data wise as we couldn’t get tests to absolutely everybody who needed it.

47 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Stupid confirmed.

kMZbMnd.png

We've already eclipsed the deadliest flu season in the last decade (which is 4-5 months long and spread all across the country) vs 2 months of COVID deaths with most being in a few hot spots.

But keep fucking the "less deadly than the flu" chicken.

SIP has slowed the spread but we're back at square one now because a bunch of gun toting retards want to protest their right to enjoy shitty restaurant food surrounded by fellow retards rather than suffer the extreme burden of eating the same shit at their house. Muricah!

actually we haven't.  61K was based on a range. 97K was the high end of the range so we still have a ways to go.  and its 3 months not 2.

54 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

And we eclipsed those flu deaths not only in 2 months, but while restricting the travels and day-to-day lives of hundreds of millions of people, and shutting down schools for tens of millions of students.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Out of curiosity what does “orderly fashion” look to you. 

What we are doing in Texas still seems too restrictive to me. I’d personally go with full opening of whoever wants to open (so 100% ish capacity), with the caveat that we don’t have any events with over 100 people in one place at a time, but I’m curious as to what you think.

It’s been interesting to read your take on this throughout. I get the sense you seem to think this is less scary than you thought 4-6 weeks ago- is that accurate? 

Oh no I definitely think it’s still as scary in terms of the virus itself.  But we flattened the curve.  The total shutdown was necessary.  

Even 5-6 weeks ago I knew there would be a time to open, obviously - just didn’t know when that would be.  And each area is different.  Here in Chicago we have capacity in the hospitals so opening more up makes sense. I’m not too sure what’s going on in Texas.  I thought Georgia was a little too aggressive/quick.  The 100 people rule you mention isn’t as important as actually keeping the 6 feet as often as possible.  Stores and restaurants can open as long as they follow strict precautions and limit capacity.  

Edit:  and in previous weeks testing was lacking.  We need better quality antibody testing but overall capacity to test is great in areas we work...big change in last couple weeks. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 2

Cross posted a few times but don’t y’all worry, Port A has got this. Mind you I really don’t have a problem with that many people on the beach, and they were pretty far apart. I just don’t like them packing into the convenience, grocery, liquor stores etc. Restaurants  are getting overrun but trying to keep the 25% rule and making people wait in the parking lot.

These pictures were later in the day and don’t do it justice. The beach was parked 2 deep in lots of stretches. It’s crowded like mid-summer and close to holiday weekends. First 2 pics are from today and the last one is from 3 weeks ago for comparison.

E356-DFC9-20-F5-4089-9-FEB-73131987-C83-
E1-B90973-3661-445-B-B664-9-B0-C709-D0-C
BDBCD0-A2-40-CF-4-F5-A-B385-468867-C1-FC

Edited by justhookit

Actor Michael Rapaport blasted a Fort Worth bar in a video after he helped promote the business’s planned reopening.

Rapaport, who is known for multiple television series and films such as “Deep Blue Sea” and “Beautiful Girls,” had filmed a video on cameo.com, a site where people can pay celebrities to film personal messages, before the planned opening of the Basement Bar in the Stockyards on Friday.

But the bar didn’t open Friday during the “Honky Tonk Crawl For Freedom.” Instead, about 50 people gathered outside.

In the explicit video posted on CentralTrack on Saturday, Rapaport denied knowing the background on the Basement Bar, which drew national scrutiny after its owners called the coronavirus pandemic lockdown “nonsense” and the COVID-19 threat “grossly over exaggerated” in social media posts last month.

“You said it was about supporting your bar, supporting the workers and to say [expletive] the haters,” Rapaport said in Saturday’s video. “You didn’t tell me you were using it to try to open up your bar illegally. I don’t support that. I don’t support you. I don’t support fake freedom riders. I don’t support any of that [expletive]

Rapaport ripped into President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence before returning his ire back to the Basement Bar.

“Stay inside. Everybody is suffering. Everybody is losing money in one way, shape or another,” he said. “Follow the [expletive] rules like everybody else.”

The Basement Bar contends it never intended to open illegally.

57 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

actually we haven't.  61K was based on a range. 97K was the high end of the range so we still have a ways to go.  and its 3 months not 2.

Yes, 61k is an estimate. That range being 46k to 95k. Let's look at more accurate info like actual reported flu deaths to compare apples against apples.

JyC7EGZ.png

Whoops, only around 15k in 2017-2018. So yes, the CDC uses an estimate to try and capture undocumented flu deaths but the high end of the range they post is absolute worst case scenario shit which is not at all accurate. Not to mention you're cherry picking 1 year out of 10. Even the high end, inaccurate range doesn't hold up in your argument for the other 9 years.  Nevermind that we've been under SIP compared to no restrictions with flu. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you think COVID cases/deaths would look like today if we had just continued on like we do every flu season and not done any SIP.

BTW, while it's factually correct to say we've had covid deaths in the US for 3 months, 99.99% of them have occurred in the last 2 months so let's just call it 2 months...

kNuL7S1.jpg

This must be what it's like to argue with flat earthers and chem trail people.

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

55 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And we eclipsed those flu deaths not only in 2 months, but while restricting the travels and day-to-day lives of hundreds of millions of people, and shutting down schools for tens of millions of students.  

Don't let things like common sense and science get between me and muh freedom! Masks are tyranny and people who don't want hundreds of thousands of people to die are just stupid lib sheep!

8dVH4nc.png

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

Maybe but we need to start slowing opening at some point. Personally you couldn’t pay me to go to restaurant now or a month from now. From Facebook posts, I can only see about one connection going out for a sit down dinner and My guess that is because he’s a huge Greg Abbott supporter.

regardless I don’t think we’re back to step 1 especially since the SIP goal wasn’t to choke out covid 19 but flatten the curve which we did for most of Texas.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe but we need to start slowing opening at some point. Personally you couldn’t pay me to go to restaurant now or a month from now. From Facebook posts, I can only see about one connection going out for a sit down dinner and My guess that is because he’s a huge Greg Abbott supporter.

regardless I don’t think we’re back to step 1 especially since the SIP goal wasn’t to choke out covid 19 but flatten the curve which we did for most of Texas.

The reason I said we're back at square one is because more than likely we're going to see a resurgence in infections and we'll be right back to a SIP. We've have almost 7 damn weeks to get proper testing and contact tracing in order for us to even think about reopening.

But I also agree there are things we can reopen. I can't find the link now but I saw a report where almost half of our GDP retraction was from the healthcare sector. Phase 1 for Texas should have really been all about getting the healthcare system running again and that's it. They have the means to test people coming in for elective surgeries and procedures so let them start doing it again. That's assuming we have the capacity to reserve PPE for any potential issues down the road. SIP was also partly about buying some time to get our testing and PPE house in order which from what people are reporting, testing is still a clusterfuck.

However, opening restaurants for dine in and retail/movie theaters is fucking stupid.  

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Like 1

We’ll have to see what happens. Will some restaurants opening spike new cases? I’m sure it will lead to some increases but not sure it will be drastic. I would have liked to see another 15-30 days of SIP but I wasn’t asked. Or I would like to see more time before the next phase of reopening.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away