Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Guest Lobo
44 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you should have been in the coffin shipping business well before this.

One in 4 dead Americans gets put in a Batesville Casket.  And my trucking company ships them, so yeah---business is good.

Don't me wrong though, I'm going out cremation style. 

24 minutes ago, Lobo said:

One in 4 dead Americans gets put in a Batesville Casket.  And my trucking company ships them, so yeah---business is good.

Don't me wrong though, I'm going out cremation style. 

Must be tough shipping coffins and weaving through the inner workings of the City of Austin, UT red tape, and all the conferences on a daily basis.  

• Haha 1

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Must be tough shipping coffins and weaving through the inner workings of the City of Austin, UT red tape, and all the conferences on a daily basis.  

Yep, a day job, a side hustle, philanthropic work in higher education, and I used to (as we all probably did before Covid-19) attend in-person events.  Real grind.  

Branching out to improve your family's lot and improve your community and alma mater.  how do people do it?  You should try it, it's very rewarding.  Sorry I get on rants about myriad topics but I've never been great at anything, I just like to keep hustling and keep helping.  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yep, a day job, a side hustle, philanthropic work in higher education, and I used to (as we all probably did before Covid-19) attend in-person events.  Real grind.  

Branching out to improve your family's lot and improve your community and alma mater.  how do people do it?  You should try it, it's very rewarding.  Sorry I get on rants about myriad topics but I've never been great at anything, I just like to keep hustling and keep helping.  

I’m just giving you shit.  I operate in the same fashion 

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

They may say what they will about GWB, but he’s a damn good man with a heart bigger than most people we’ve ever met.  

Have a close family friend who served as WH counsel under W,  He said pretty much the same kinds of things. He remarked on a few occasions about his compassion, and how he really was a good guy on and off duty, and to everyone on staff from his cabinet to the folks who worked in the WH.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Have a close family friend who served as WH counsel under W,  He said pretty much the same kinds of things. He remarked on a few occasions about his compassion, and how he really was a good guy on and off duty, and to everyone on staff from his cabinet to the folks who worked in the WH.

Know several of his Secret Service agents pretty well.   They absolutely love him.  Get cards from him every year with a random picture of them on duty they had no idea about.   Their kids get cards from him on their birthdays and graduations and what not.  Then there’s the hundreds of service members he has out to the ranch every year for the bike rides and barbecues, etc.  He still serves his country with a full heart.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

Wife and I took a little driving tour of some of the local boat ramps and lake recreation areas.  We've put a moratorium on taking the boat out at this point, but just trying to gauge how busy the lake is.  At one of the more popular spots, it was pretty uncomfortable for us to watch a complete disregard of any safety measures whatsoever. 

This was one of the more tame gatherings, and still zero distancing.

I know the picture looks like a redneck Monet, but we were keeping our distance.

CA1k-94fb-Attkba-PZO4-WFt-Dql-Zdnul7oh-k

You need to get that blown up and framed, and replace the Dogs Playing Poker velvet wall hanging.   Hell, that looks like a velvet wall hanging.   

• Haha 1

Guest Lobo
7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Felt the same way about the Obama.

Fair enough.  To keep it apolitical, let me just reiterate for all the folks on opposite sides of the political spectrum on this website, human beings die.  Particularly men, particularly men over 70.  All our past presidents and current candidates shall pass.  Meantime, was great to hear messages of solidarity around Covid-19.  I'm sure we'll find a way to fuck it up, but a really nice reprieve today.

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Will Karen snitch on Karen tho? 

This is so puzzling I'm dizzy trying to understand.  We have those on the left who generally support progressive thinking that support this woman and those on the right who generally scream law and order opposing those who step on fundamental rights.  

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

But, did you wear your scrubs in Lowe's?

Nope. One of the few masked up though. Scrubs go into dirty hamper asap. I do spare my kids the embarrassment of their old man walking through the house in his underwear. Some of our providers change clothes in their car prior to heading home.

I really hope I’m wrong, but Covid might spike up in the next week. I really don’t want it to hit the vulnerable hard and fast. It will feel like a giant step backwards. If it can burn through the young with few complications then we may slow the R0 . Profit?

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

thanks. do you know what antibody test is now considered reliable enough to claim someone has antibodies which will allow some do different things than those that don't have them?

Some of the antibody tests have as high as a 40% false positive rate.  An Austin healthcare org call I was on last week recommended that if people tested positive for antibodies that they get tested again to reduce the risk of false positives.

7 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Nope. One of the few masked up though. Scrubs go into dirty hamper asap. I do spare my kids the embarrassment of their old man walking through the house in his underwear. Some of our providers change clothes in their car prior to heading home.

I really hope I’m wrong, but Covid might spike up in the next week. I really don’t want it to hit the vulnerable hard and fast. It will feel like a giant step backwards. If it can burn through the young with few complications then we may slow the R0 . Profit?

I've been just taking off my clothes in the garage when I come home from work. Throw all the clothes, mask, & everything in the washer on the way into the house through the laundry room. Spray Lysol on the other stuff & come back to get it later. Straight to the sink, wash my hands, then off to the shower. I get home from work usually before 7am, so everyone's usually still in bed & I don't have to worry about walking around the house in my chones. /csb

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Csb story time, but a good friend is friends with Mrs bush and has spent plenty of time around both. Says there are not two more decent human beings on Earth. So just to pile on to the non political support for 43, I'm in. Backslash csb.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Redneck Monet is the single best thing that this thread has produced in at least 600 pages.

I appreciate the artistic reference, I really do.  But, I'd say it was actually more of a Redneck Seurat...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/22/2020 at 6:42 PM, F250 said:

All 50 states should form a governing board and vote for an executive leader so that decisions can be made under a federated organization for the benefit of all States.

When I posted this I was joking but 6 weeks later state alliances are being made in the North East and West Coast. This is starting to look like some post apocalypse Jericho shit.

• Like 5

I honestly see zero problem letting the healthy, young and old/ get antibodies for the second wave.

13 minutes ago, F250 said:

When I posted this I was joking but 6 weeks later state alliances are being made in the North East and West Coast. This is starting to look like some post apocalypse Jericho shit.

if it's possible, we should start today.

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:
10 hours ago, justhookit said:
Here ya go. More from Port A yesterday.
25940-EDA-B759-4-CEE-8163-C3-C97-B73-E288.png
5-C41-D6-FA-4-C81-484-D-976-C-6-B90-F9231-C46.png

I was just thinking sneaking down to Port A in June or something may be doable. Low key enough to keep appropriate distances. Lol nevermind.

This is going to be Port A’s busiest summer ever if things continue to re-open and we don’t have a bunch of new cases or a shutdown again. That said it’s the beach and you can find your own space. Bring food and don’t go to restaurants if you want. Harvey was a huge blow and Port A needs this to go right.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

This is going to be Port A’s busiest summer ever if things continue to re-open and we don’t have a bunch of new cases or a shutdown again. That said it’s the beach and you can find your own space. Bring food and don’t go to restaurants if you want. Harvey was a huge blow and Port A needs this to go right.

Those pics always make things look worse than they are. Very few strangers get much closer than ten feet to you in a family day at the beach type setting -- it's not Spring Break out there, folks. There are rules. 

There is probably a half-mile of beach in that top photo...If you took a sweeping panorama picture of certain neighborhoods with active young families and somehow made the trees and buildings invisible it wouldn't look that different from that pic. 

Similar pics emerged from Corpus about a month ago and people were promising Nueces County was about to become another Wuhan or New York. Not so much: Nueces County has reported 107 total cases and three deaths through the whole pandemic. At least one of those deaths had nothing to do with the beach.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Sorry for the smartass question. I definitely see a lot of scrubs when I am shopping these days, though. I've done it before but not since COVID. I will say though that over the  years I've gotten a few prescription nazis who have given me a hard time when getting allopurinol and levabuterol in my shorts. Not the typical drugs of abuse.

As for COVID spiking, it is going to happen. Maybe not next week but in 3 weeks it will come back pretty strong. I can't see the government doing another shutdown, but it will get interesting. Getting back to normal at work isn't the big problem. The big problem will be the lack of social distancing and PPE/hygiene.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Those pics always make things look worse than they are. Very few strangers get much closer than ten feet to you in a family day at the beach type setting -- it's not Spring Break out there, folks. There are rules. 

There is probably a half-mile of beach in that top photo...If you took a sweeping panorama picture of certain neighborhoods with active young families and somehow made the trees and buildings invisible it wouldn't look that different from that pic. 

Similar pics emerged from Corpus about a month ago and people were promising Nueces County was about to become another Wuhan or New York. Not so much: Nueces County has reported 107 total cases and three deaths through the whole pandemic. At least one of those deaths had nothing to do with the beach.

I agree on that long beach shot... a telephoto lens fore shortening is real....   However

I drove down by the beach here yesterday and while the sand is closed there were people packed on top of each other and <2% had mask on and fewer if you only counted the folks wearing the mask even remotely correctly.   My exact thought was man I hope the recirculate valve for the AC is legit.

The bars on the sidewalks were open and getting busy.   I was completely surprised at the number of people that seemed to be trying out roller blades for the first time. (wtf on several levels)   Also even more disappointingly, the good looking women were not out there.  Dudes over 50, Karen and her whole family, cankles/tube top rollerblading team, or hipsters on trick bikes / long boards.

Ocean looked nice though.

23 minutes ago, Loco said:

I agree on that long beach shot... a telephoto lens fore shortening is real....   However

I drove down by the beach here yesterday and while the sand is closed there were people packed on top of each other and <2% had mask on and fewer if you only counted the folks wearing the mask even remotely correctly.   My exact thought was man I hope the recirculate valve for the AC is legit.

The bars on the sidewalks were open and getting busy.   I was completely surprised at the number of people that seemed to be trying out roller blades for the first time. (wtf on several levels)   Also even more disappointingly, the good looking women were not out there.  Dudes over 50, Karen and her whole family, cankles/tube top rollerblading team, or hipsters on trick bikes / long boards.

Ocean looked nice though.

Must be frightening, all that worry.   

• Like 2

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/kth/pressreleases/10-procent-av-stockholmarna-smittade-2996052

Google translate:

10 percent of Stockholmers were infected

Now, the blood samples for coronate tests that KTH researchers sent to Stockholmers before Easter have come back and analyzed. The results show that 10 percent of those tested had been infected with the new corona virus.

Of 1,000 sent samples, 550 returned. Of these, 446 test responses were approved.

"The analysis method collects information from different virus proteins at the same time and we will now get a clearer picture of the infection and spread by putting together and comparing data from all the puzzle pieces," says Jochen Schwenk, professor at KTH and SciLifeLab.

The tests in the form of provincial collection cards were sent to 1,000 randomly selected residents in Stockholm and its crane municipalities. It is about an even distribution of men and women aged 20 to 74 from a population of 1.22 million people in 717,850 households.

The researchers have now sent a new mail to 1,000 Stockholmers to verify the data from the first collection and to see how the spread of infection has changed since Easter. The average sampling day in the first round of tests was Easter evening on April 11. This measurement shows the spread of infection around the end of March.

- We really need the public's help now. Only with as many grants as possible can we get a true picture of the spread of infection, and this allows us to put in practice samples so that everyone who needs to be able to test themselves. It is very important, says Niclas Roxhed, associate professor at KTH.

Niclas Roxhed (KTH) and Olof Beck (Karolinska Institutet) stand for sampling and mailing. Analysis of antibodies and proteins is led by Jochen Schwenk and Claudia Fredolini (both from KTH / SciLifeLab). Production of viral proteins is handled by Gerald McInerney, Leo Hanke and Benjamin Murrell (all three from the Karolinska Institute).

Tests and results from the first collection in short form:

• ⁠Random home sampling of the large Stockholm population with a stick in the finger. 1,000 tests were sent.

• ⁠The dispatch was made randomly to a population consisting of men and women aged 20 to 74 years from a population of 1.22 million people in 717,850 households.

• ⁠The tests were posted on Askon's Day on April 7th, the average sampling day was Easter evening on April 11th.

• ⁠Response rate 55 percent. 550 samples returned. 57 percent of the respondents were women. The age range is relatively uniformly distributed.

• ⁠446 pieces (81 percent of the samples returned) were successful in the sampling entirely on their own.

• ⁠The samples have been analyzed at SciLifeLab in Stockholm and the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation is responsible for the funding.

• ⁠The results show that about 10 percent had had the infection before the test.

I doubt 10%of Stockholm was infected at the end of March like these people were... but I’m sure that number is much higher now

17 hours ago, justhookit said:

Here ya go. More from Port A yesterday.

25940-EDA-B759-4-CEE-8163-C3-C97-B73-E28
5-C41-D6-FA-4-C81-484-D-976-C-6-B90-F923

These people are morons but the photo angles make the people and vehicles appear closer than they are. In the second photo, middle left, the white F150 and white explorer are at least 40-50 feet apart.

regardless people seem to trust their friends and family to not have covid 19 when their beach behavior indicates they’re generally bad at social distancing. Worst people you can be around.

9 hours ago, Newdoc said:

I mean, we essentially know it’s going to spike up in the next week without a doubt- don’t we?  Opening up business isn’t going to send cases down, and we have more testing than we did before so it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion that the cases go up, isn’t it?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-kills-people-an-average-of-a-decade-before-their-time-11588424401

WSJ article$

People dying of Covid-19 could have expected to live on average for at least another decade, according to two studies that help fill in the developing picture of the human cost of the coronavirus pandemic.

The findings show the virus isn’t just carrying off the elderly or infirm a few months before their time.

“Some people think that these people dying would have died this year anyway,” said Andrew Briggs, a professor of health economics at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine who led one of the studies. “That’s simply not the case.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-kills-people-an-average-of-a-decade-before-their-time-11588424401

WSJ article$

People dying of Covid-19 could have expected to live on average for at least another decade, according to two studies that help fill in the developing picture of the human cost of the coronavirus pandemic.
The findings show the virus isn’t just carrying off the elderly or infirm a few months before their time.

“Some people think that these people dying would have died this year anyway,” said Andrew Briggs, a professor of health economics at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine who led one of the studies. “That’s simply not the case.”

Since it’s a pay site, what % is “some” according to Andrew?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away