Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

So is Austin getting flyovers from either group, the faggedy Blue Angels or the kick-ass Thunderbirds? (Dad was an AF fighter pilot and tried out for the TB’s so I have to hate the Navy. It’s math)

You get the “crop dusting crazies” from Hallock Minnesota...and you’ll like them .

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

So is Austin getting flyovers from either group, the faggedy Blue Angels or the kick-ass Thunderbirds? (Dad was an AF fighter pilot and tried out for the TB’s so I have to hate the Navy. It’s math)

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Kindly STFU, please.  You're gonna blow up my one chance to have a decent summer getaway.

I have been in South Texas for over a month.  Have to come back home for a few days.  Going to head to Surfside Sunday and let kids play in sand and do some surf fishing.  But I will drive far west of most people and social distance.  4WD helps at surfside.  May also get out and knock my tires down to about 20 PSI when I get there -- helps tremendously in sandy conditions.  I keep a small air compressor in my toolbox and can quickly air up before getting back on the pavement.

52 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I prefer hooker and blow to Coke and hookers, but what do I know.

I figured you were more of a blow the hooker type of guy. huh. weird. 

Also jesus its hot outside. Hopefully the heat will help in some sort of way . iI certainly wont be leading to more outdoor activity other than getting in a pool.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:44 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

I misunderstood what you meant by absolute floor. I was assuming you took something like the most optimistic study and used it as your absolute floor- not total number of all New Yorkers. Gotcha. 

Still, my point remains- I’m not talking about a generic kill rate for the world, I’m talking about as it relates to me in doing my personal risk assessment. 

Stripping out all the deaths of the very old and very sick gets you to a much much much lower percentage. 

I interacted, on the day I went out to lunch as described, with 7 people total (4 of them  in my family- 3 at the restaurant- none of them up close and personal. Yesterday added zero people to that list. Today I’m liable to add zero people to that list. 

I’ve also not done any curbside take out but I can’t see how there would be any less interaction there than I had. My 3 interactions at the restaurant were with a host that was never any closer than about 10 feet- a general manager that thanked me for coming in and stood 10 feet away, and my waiter who took my order from 6 or so feet away, and put the food on my table from 6 feet away from me and let me move the plate to myself.  

We both touched my credit card but that’s the case with a drive through or to go as well I would guess, right?  

That's why I keep a roll of the blue Scot shop towels and a bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol in my truck. I wipe the card down and hand it to the cashier at the drive through with the towel.  When she returns the card, I take it with the alcohol soaked towel. It's then again wiped down and returned to my wallet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

OK. I like that better than the alternative that our superiors in the government will get around to telling us when we can venture outside and feel safe.  Because remember- this was to bend the curve. We've done that. Why aren't we all back outside again?  Why don't we have clear metrics for when the government will allow us our freedoms?  Once upon a time we used to take those freedoms from the barrel of a gun. I think those times are probably behind us but jimminyfuckingchristmas if the government wants to shut shit down they damn sure owe us an explanation as well as a time when the shutdown will be over.  The explanation we've gotten was "we need to flatten the curve so as not to overwhelm the hospitals".  We are an exporter now of PPE type equipment. We've clearly accomplished this in spades.  So, the rationale to make this happen is all gone and nobody can give me a new rationale, nor metrics to know when we will have achieved it and we aren't supposed to ask questions?  

I grew up swimming in the ocean, drinking from water fountains, having rock fights with my siblings and the neighborhood kids and with free range to use nothing more than my own good sense in a 10 block radius.  All those things could have killed me, I suppose. Probably about as likely as the Corona.  All those things allowed me to do was live my life, which is essentially what I want to see happen right now. When I couldn't do something I was given a why not and a what can I do to be able to earn that right/privilege/whatever.  The government isn't doing that.

Even though I like where Abbots head is at with this thing it's still not at all clear what we will have to do to progress from step 2 to step 3, nor what could trigger us backsliding into stage 1 again.  Seems like it's at his will. We are a constitutional republic not a monarchy.  That's too GD much power for an elected civil servant.  

What in god's name are you talking about? All I said is that we need a plan. You don't want one? You don't think having a plan is a good thing? This seems like one of those "I want it now, damn the consequences" tantrums. People shouldn't start going out until we have a solid to plan to protect the vulnerable. I think we could have one, and think we could enact right now. I'm just asking that, you know, that happen. This is a society wide problem. It requires a society wide solution. The "let everyone individually take care of themselves" mentality is selfish and will result in an inefficient outcome.

This is football board, right? How pissed would we be at Herman if he came out and said that we wouldn't practice or game plan, we'd just show up at the OU game and let each player do whatever they thought best? I'd be pretty fucking livid and would fully expect that we'd get steamrolled.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I see lots of example of people doing things right. I've been pretty impressed with the measures at the few places that I have gone over the last week.  People wearing masks and gloves running curbside.  Far too many people at the HD on a saturday, but at least they were wearing masks.  Did a nope on that one though, and went back during a weekday morning. Seen some jack assery as well, e.g. big group of high school aged kids doing high school aged kids thing at the gas store.  Did a "nope" and drove on.

Agreed that a lot of local communities and individual businesses are doing it right. And I'm glad you had the opportunity and option to protect yourself. But, personally, I'd like to see something more organized from the top down, or at least a clearly communicated framework, so that we can protect those that don't have the option or opportunity. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

At least you’re honest about being biased.

And I thought I was being so subtle.

I despise the president and do assume just about any move he suggests is going to be a bad idea. It's not a bias that I'm ashamed of. The whole "fool me once" thing, ya know.

Edited by RomaVicta

49 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You will get your occasional Texas National Guard Blackhawk flyover and you’ll like it.*

* Unless you’re a fan of Alex Jones, in which case you will have to change your underwear.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

You will get your occasional Texas National Guard Blackhawk flyover and you’ll like it.*

* Unless you’re a fan of Alex Jones, in which case you will have to change your underwear.  

I change my underwear often so that Alex will have a nice clean ass to eat when the time comes to save his daughters.

So the Cargill-Beef Plant in Schuyler Nebraska is being idled for two weeks. They’ve yet to have a major outbreak, and had been running ahead, so I think they’re mostly going down to let the outbreak happen and then hit the ground running as it’s over as they’ve got two weeks of normal production built up on site. While they’ve been ordered to stay open by the President, two weeks off, and two weeks on a full steam is probably going to better than 4 weeks half assed 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Goalposts keep moving.  All in the name of "for your own good".  Let lower risk areas open of their own volition.  This is one part Sweden absolutely got right.  The majority of their people self-quarantined and took precautions.  They gave people the choice.  Do the same here before UE and loss becomes too great to mitigate.  

Yep, Glen Rose and Somervell County are still reporting zero cases, zero deaths. We have over 60k in Hood County, but being rural, we only have 20 cases and three deaths. It is very easy to social distance in rural counties (unless you have meat packing plants), restaurants aren't packed, 80% of people are masked up. Abbott is letting them open to 50% capacity, already. A tiered system based on population density and active number of cases should be implemented. of our 20 cases all but one has been traced. Seven cases from travel, seven from working in DFW, five from infected family members, and one doesn't know. A lot of the cases have already recovered.

There were 141 pending tests, in Hood County yesterday, today that number is down to 52. Out of the 89 test results, only one was positive.

CHIEF

• Like 5

Sounds like Adler is gonna keep us housebound for a while

AUSTIN, Texas — Austin Mayor Steve Adler said the messaging from State has been "confusing," after Gov. Greg Abbott partially reopened the state on Friday, May 1. The mayor is now trying to clarify some of the confusion, adding that the City will extend the stay-at-home order in Austin-Travis County

The stay-at-home order is set to expire on May 8, but the mayor told KVUE that city leaders have plans to extend the order.

"It's kind of confusing right now with the messaging from the State, and we're going to try and clarify that this week by extending our order," Adler said.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/austin-travis-county-coronavirus-stay-home-covid-19-mayor-adler/269-0179b293-cd95-4747-84fe-20cfa257520a

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

After their flyover of NYC, the blues were cited for failing to maintain proper social distancing of at least 6ft.  The TBs asked if they were being cited as well, but authorities said “nah, you’re good.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What in god's name are you talking about? All I said is that we need a plan. You don't want one? You don't think having a plan is a good thing? This seems like one of those "I want it now, damn the consequences" tantrums. People shouldn't start going out until we have a solid to plan to protect the vulnerable. I think we could have one, and think we could enact right now. I'm just asking that, you know, that happen. This is a society wide problem. It requires a society wide solution. The "let everyone individually take care of themselves" mentality is selfish and will result in an inefficient outcome.

This is football board, right? How pissed would we be at Herman if he came out and said that we wouldn't practice or game plan, we'd just show up at the OU game and let each player do whatever they thought best? I'd be pretty fucking livid and would fully expect that we'd get steamrolled.

Agreed that a lot of local communities and individual businesses are doing it right. And I'm glad you had the opportunity and option to protect yourself. But, personally, I'd like to see something more organized from the top down, or at least a clearly communicated framework, so that we can protect those that don't have the option or opportunity. 

You keep saying we don’t have a plan but we do. It’s got 4 parts even!  Abbots in charge of it. And it has about the same amount of metrics as Oregon or California or any of the rest of the people saying don’t open things up. 

When the government takes from us, either property or liberty, they have the burden of showing it’s necessary and reasonable and for how long. Nobody, however, is holding them to account on any side of the aisle. 

If it’s just essentially going to be a free for all rolling monkey fuck than I’d just as soon see the presumption of liberty being shaded instead of smarmy statism. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

There are more ways to communicate now than ever before. Gadgets, apps, channels, smartphones, email etc.. 

With all that capability, we absolutely suck at delivering a clear message in a time of crisis 

11 minutes ago, NAVY said:

There are more ways to communicate now than ever before. Gadgets, apps, channels, smartphones, email etc.. 

With all that capability, we absolutely suck at delivering a clear message in a time of crisis 

He’s not confused. He’s willfully disregarding what the gov is saying. Just like the mayor of Huntington Beach is disregarding what his gov is saying the other way.

There is confusion about the order is the nullification of our times. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Re how telephoto lenses artificially cram people together into nonexistent asshole-to-elbow throngs that have people muttering shit about "Darwinism at Work":

Photographers Take Pics Of People From Different Perspectives To Show How Easy It Is To Manipulate Photos

Telephoto

5eabcc97d0563-different-perspective-tele

Wide Angle

5eabcc9834fb4-different-perspective-tele

Out of rep for the day. Great picture. I’d have no idea you could make it look that different. Wow. 

41 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Adler's confused.  I'm shocked...

50 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s not confused. He’s willfully disregarding what the gov is saying. Just like the mayor of Huntington Beach is disregarding what his gov is saying the other way.

I used to work for the gubment, and became clear after a  couple of years that conflicting/confusing communication from leadership is SOP. That way no one is accountable for their incompetence.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

did Adler or abbott order the code red?

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away