Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, gyroprotagonist said:

I almost would not care what was served as long as someone else did the effing dishes after the meal.  3+ meals a day x 4 people = too many dishes.  seriously considering just using paper plates for a week to get a break.

1) How old are the kids?

2) Dishwashers exist

3) The cook doesn't clean. Division of labor

• Like 2

1) How old are the kids?
2) Dishwashers exist

I’m burnt out on dishes. I’m going on a 5 day fast food/restaurant binge soon. Maybe when MN opens up restaurants to dining and not just curbside & drive thru

Our dishwasher is ran every other day. I don’t mind loading...I hate unloading it.

1&4 yo kids here. Wife wipes down table and kids off. Dishes fatigue is real
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

Says the person that says Texas Roadhouse serves a great steak.

The description I used was actually, "damn good", and I stand by that statement.  I've been to "high-end" steak houses, and spent 3-4 times as much for a lesser meal.

But I get it, Surly is waaaay too sophisticated to ever go near such a place.  A chain?!?  In a strip mall?!?  Close to a Walmart?!?!!

• Like 1

The description I used was actually, "damn good", and I stand by that statement.  I've been to "high-end" steak houses, and spent 3-4 times as much for a lesser meal.
But I get it, Surly is waaaay too sophisticated to ever go near such a place.  A chain?!?  In a strip mall?!?  Close to a Walmart?!?!!

I’m not gonna 1%. Not even close. Would you rather have French laundry at Texas Roadhouse prices or TR at TR prices? Fine dining doesn’t look appealing at all.

In fact looks incredibly lame while spending 900.00

1 minute ago, Loco said:

1) How old are the kids?

2) Dishwashers exist

it's my 9yo's 'job' to unload the dishwasher, but either me or the wife end up doing it half the time cause dishes are piling up and we need to get the dirty ones in.  Plus it's not entirely fair to triple her workload through no fault of her own.   It's the fact that we have about 3x the dirty dishes on a daily basis than we used to.  That squared away feeling you get from the sink being completely empty and all dishes clean and put away is very fleeting.

1st world problems to be sure, but it is one of the more noticeable things during all of this.

The cook doesn't clean is some Randy Marsh bullshit you saw on Southpark.  It's 'Things I learned from Mom 101' clean up your mess; ask for help when needed.

Guest Lobo
47 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Many years ago Applebee’s used to have a really good dessert called The Blondie.

And you ate her when it was still a natural blondie?  

And Hate, you gotta quit calling them Surly Intelligentsia.  I've met them, you, and myself.  None of us are that intelligent.  We gotta be able to discuss nuance in an apolitical fashion on here.  You know which way I vote most of the time, it ain't exactly the Grateful Dead crowd.  It's okay to like the Dead, Guns, the Constitution, and not sneezing on people in public and also vehemently disagree with the way our national handled/is handling the Covid-19, laugh at stupid protesters, and to remember the last time I ate at a Chili's next to my LaQuinta in Sacramento in 1998, I shit up the hotel bathroom so bad, I got charged a cleaning fee a week later on my debit card.     /rant

newrant/ I like this country because it's filled with people of nuance whose lives and beliefs and values permeate all along many, many spectrums (like so many tracers on mushrooms).  And now we gotta deal with bullshit like "If you mock the heavy artillery next to a sign that says "Open our Beaches", you're getting too political?  Chili's doesn't suck because it's not expensive/fancy, but because they make horrible food with questionable motives.  When the hell did everything get to such a black and white place?  210 million voting age people in this country, that's 80-90 million of us stranded in the middle, constantly being lumped in by one side with the other and then vice-versa every time we have an independent thought. It's exhausting and beyond a pointless endeavor.  

That's not politics.  That's insanity.  

Edited by Lobo

it's my 9yo's 'job' to unload the dishwasher, but either me or the wife end up doing it half the time cause dishes are piling up and we need to get the dirty ones in.  Plus it's not entirely fair to triple her workload through no fault of her own.   It's the fact that we have about 3x the dirty dishes on a daily basis than we used to.  That squared away feeling you get from the sink being completely empty and all dishes clean and put away is very fleeting.
1st world problems to be sure, but it is one of the more noticeable things during all of this.
The cook doesn't clean is some Randy Marsh bullshit you saw on Southpark.  It's 'Things I learned from Mom 101' clean up your mess; ask for help when needed.

Lmfao. So true. I stare at the bottom of the empty sink for a few seconds thinking there’s no way we’re going to let it get filled so high.

8 hrs later it’s mostly filled
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

I increasingly do. Hope I'm wrong and you are right.

You have actual numbers, whereas I don’t.  But, there’s something I noticed back in February and March.   We have somebody in our household with a restrictive diet/allergies, plus it’s not really in our budget, so we rarely eat out, like once or twice a month.  Maybe Happy Meals for the kids if we are out and about on a weekend and they are hungry.  

So if there’s 31 days in a month, we are cooking/preparing meals for 29-30 of those days.  Basically, we have a very firm grasp on how much we eat in a month, both financially (wife tracks our budget on a spreadsheet religiously) and quantity-wise.

When people began making a run on stores, based on conversations with family/friend, it was clear that a lot of them ate out a lot more than they thought they did.  

It wasn’t simply that they couldn’t think a week or two ahead and plan for needing X amount of food for two weeks, It was that they simply didn’t know how much they actually ate in a week, or a month, and so they were buying a lot more than they needed   

It was clear that they were eating out/doing take out a lot every week.     And if anything, based on the bitching on Facebook, they will return to that lifestyle ASAP,  because many of them clearly hated having to prep three meals a day.

Again, you probably have actual numbers, but I think this will make many want to go back to eating out a lot.

Edited by atomheartbevo

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

From the anecdotes I've read (including on this thread), Austin is on the high-end in terms of mask usage.  Other areas are much more resistant.  And yes, the divide does seem to correlate to political lines.  Which again, is insane.  It's insane to me that the concept of "wear a simple facemask to protect both yourself and your fellow humans" is a political hot-button, and the decision to wear or not wear one is a sign of "solidarity" with a particular political view.

How in the blue fuck did we reach a point where "how about we each choose to take a simple measure to protect other people, so don't be a dick about it" became a fighting point?  What the fucking fuck?

I went to Royers last weekend and the workers were wearing masks and serving people outside. Many of the patrons hanging out in the square were not wearing protection.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You have actual numbers, whereas I don’t.  But, there’s something I noticed back in February and March.   We have somebody in our household with a restrictive diet/allergies, plus it’s not really in our budget, so we rarely eat out, like once or twice a month.  Maybe Happy Meals for the kids if we are out and about on a weekend and they are hungry.  

So if there’s 31 days in a month, we are cooking/preparing meals for 29-30 of those days.  Basically, we have a very firm grasp on how much we eat in a month, both financially (wife tracks our budget on a spreadsheet religiously) and quantity-wise.

When people began making a run on stores, based on conversations with family/friend, it was clear that a lot of them ate out a lot more than they thought they did.  

It wasn’t simply that they couldn’t think a week or two ahead and plan for needing X amount of food for two weeks, It was that they simply didn’t know how much they actually ate in a week, or a month, and so they were buying a lot more than they needed   

It was clear that they were eating out/doing take out a lot every week.     And if anything, based on the bitching on Facebook, they will return to that lifestyle ASAP,  because many of them clearly hated having to prep three meals a day.

Again, you probably have actual numbers, but I think this will make many want to go back to eating out a lot.

I keep saying and hearing that "well people have to eat" but my informal and highly suspect local survey of takeout business reports a low of 20% of (pre-Corona) sales and a high of 50%. I was stunned by the 50% number and it was an outlier (it is BBQ. Not good bbq either.). So let's say long term your volumes get to 75% through increased takeout and, say, a 50% occupancy going forward. On a place that made 5% before.

Really what I'm interested in seeing is what this does to restaurant employment and rents. It seems like those may be permanently adjusted down (fewer employees, smaller locations, cheaper rent). So I don't know how the decrease in RE cash flow will shake out either but...

At any rate it will certainly be interesting to see how this shakes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

We should figure out how to adjust for increased testing (looks like Nate is on it), and using that adjustment, see where numbers go after this round of "re-openings."  Toothpaste is outta the tube.  We need to figure out how to manage it.

That’s the key.   If we continue seeing a rise in current cases as we improve testing, especially as it gets warmer, we have to figure out something.   There’s a point where folks need to not focus on “of course there’s more cases, we are testing more” and instead focus on “okay, our testing is stabilized and cases are still rising at this rate.”  It’s worrisome that the messaging is convoluted.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And again, I don't understand the resistance to wearing masks when out among other people -- that and frequent hand washing are such easy and effective measures to take, which allow us to maintain economic activity.  Why the resistance?

I have a first grader.   If I tell him not to do something, and I turn my back, he’s going to do it.  And when I chew him out, he will look at me and tell me that I’m wrong and he knows what he’s doing.  

The resistance stems from people not comprehending how it benefits them until it impacts them or a close family member or friend directly, or they don’t trust who is telling them to do it.   

27 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

One idea I heard was like a high-end food delivery that is more akin to a catered meal. One or two waiters show up with hot food in Cambros, with flatware & etc. and your food is served, then everything is picked up and hauled off in a bus tub.

This would not be cheap, so I suggested advertising on the Surl.

Is there a happy ending involved?

/surly 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

I'm in a different boat ...  My kids are 14 & 16 and frankly spoiled rotten.  Breakfast and lunch is their responsibility.  Son takes care of the garbage/pool, daughter does dishes.   We don't just dump our dishes and make our daughter do them.  Everyone puts their dishes in the dishwasher, it's almost as easy as just dumping them in the sink anyways.   Misc stuff she takes care of.   If my wife cooks, I make sure to clean pots/pans/knives, it's not a big thing.  When I cook she is always helping out ... We like spending time together and helping each other out.  Kids pick up on that and pitch in too.  Before bed run the dishwasher.  ezpz

Since I have teens and not small kids they can help and have been learning to cook meals for themselves (since they were 10 or so)  So the hard part for me is we burn though a lot of food.  Maybe once a week we have them cook.

I was busting balls as well as illustrating my point that I had made earlier. I don’t care where someone decides to get a steak. To each their own.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

There are two things they really can't lie about (too much) and that's deaths and hospital capacity.  Those are major drivers in opening back up.

Sure, you say there's no way the 4th most populated state (NY) has 319k cases and the #2 TX and #3 FL only have 32k and 37k cases.  That dismissed as bullshit just because of an "intentional" lack of testing.

But then you see its 19,415 deaths vs. 884 in TX and 1,400 in FL and you realize that things just aren't as bad in Texas and Florida.

And whether you're doing 1k tests per day, or 10k tests per day, if your positive/infection rate stays right at 10% or lower the entire time (as Texas has), then one could realize that it's just not as bad in Texas as it is in NY.  

• Like 1

I almost would not care what was served as long as someone else did the effing dishes after the meal.  3+ meals a day x 4 people = too many dishes.  seriously considering just using paper plates for a week to get a break.

As someone who has been doing grocery shopping for others, I can tell you that a lot of people order the 80-pk or 160-PK of paper plates.

The inability of the meatpackers to keep their employees healthy will have a much larger effect on the restart of the economy than any reopening attempt. 

Speaking of which, Nobles County (Worthington) has turned into a full blown hot spot. 1,100 confirmed cases in a county with a population of ~20K, with JBS at the source of most of those. 

Awesome, the dominant strain of CCP-19 may leave victims vulnerable to reinfection:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-05/mutant-coronavirus-has-emerged-more-contagious-than-original
Scientists have identified a new strain of the coronavirus that has become dominant worldwide and appears to be more contagious than the versions that spread in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a new study led by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory.
The new strain appeared in February in Europe, migrated quickly to the East Coast of the United States and has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, the scientists wrote.
In addition to spreading faster, it may make people vulnerable to a second infection after a first bout with the disease, the report warned.
The 33-page report was posted Thursday on BioRxiv, a website that researchers use to share their work before it is peer reviewed, an effort to speed up collaborations with scientists working on COVID-19 vaccines or treatments. That research has been largely based on the genetic sequence of earlier strains and might not be effective against the new one....(snip)

Can any of the docs@newdoc@chitowndoc weigh in on BioRxiv? It seems like a dumping ground for non-peer-reviewed work but I’m seeing it getting cited more and more. Isn’t it irresponsible journalism to cite a study that hasn’t been peer-reviewed? This same story showed up on CNBC too.

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

We are doing a load of dishes pretty much every day.  Pretty sure my wife is trying to wear out our Instant Pot.

Every time I go to Kroger now it seems like $200 (go more or less once a week). 

Prepping 450 meals a month and cleaning up after that is no joke. My 9 year old has taken up baking during the pandemic. I swear sometimes I run the dish washer 3 times a day. It’s driving me crazy. 

I have an almost CTJ level of hate toward cereal. I served it to my kids the other day just because I couldn’t handle the idea of doing dishes again that day 

The struggle is real. 

At least our water is a well. Helps with 11 loads of dishes and 9 loads of laundry a week. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Family of 5 and our dishwasher(not the wife) is working overtime.  We have probably had  only a half dozen take away meals in the last 6 weeks.  Thank God the kids are at an age were they can pitch in.  

Chinet for the win.  

• Like 3

Family of 5 and our dishwasher(not the wife) is working overtime.  We have probably had  only a half dozen take away meals in the last 6 weeks.  Thank God the kids are at an age were they can pitch in.  

Good lord this. And it doesn’t help that when the wife cooks she finds a way to dirty everything we own to produce one meal.
  • Like 4

The inability of the meatpackers to keep their employees healthy will have a much larger effect on the restart of the economy than any reopening attempt. 
Speaking of which, Nobles County (Worthington) has turned into a full blown hot spot. 1,100 confirmed cases in a county with a population of ~20K, with JBS at the source of most of those. 

1 death, been 2 weeks since the outbreak

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m not gonna 1%. Not even close. Would you rather have French laundry at Texas Roadhouse prices or TR at TR prices? Fine dining doesn’t look appealing at all.

In fact looks incredibly lame while spending 900.00

I’ll have some of the yella....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

This is exactly what trump wanted with his initial anti-testing policy. Can't be a problem if we don't know about it, right? And now the blue states doing more testing look worse while the red states reopening and underreporting (cough cough Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc) are following the presidential marching orders. 

All part of the plan. 

It is really that fucking hard for you to not post political bullshit.  This fuck should be locked in the CR.  

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Can any of the docs@newdoc@chitowndoc weigh in on BioRxiv? It seems like a dumping ground for non-peer-reviewed work but I’m seeing it getting cited more and more. Isn’t it irresponsible journalism to cite a study that hasn’t been peer-reviewed? This same story showed up on CNBC too.

I would never quote anything that’s not peer reviewed.  But I’m not in the business of selling stories.  

• Like 3

Dishes can go fuck themselves.  We currently have 3 adults and 2 kids (3yo and 6yo).  I hand wash everything but adult cups, plates, flatware and bowls just to put off having to run/empty the dishwasher every fucking day.  We make big meals to have leftovers for lunch the next day so I’m an all singing, all dancing plastic fantastic advertisement for the durability of Tupperware surviving a wash every day.  

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I don't think there would have been nearly the backlash had dude ordered a quesadilla or burger or something Chili's does relatively "well." Just an odd choice for a first night of freedom meal.

I get that Chili's if staffed by local residents, but how much of your bill goes in their pockets? There are plenty of cheap local joints in every community that I'd choose to support first. Chili's is a Week 3 meal, at best.

we've ordered about 50+ takeout meals since this started (long story - house remodel/kitchen construction since 3/9), and the only NON-local/national chain we've ordered is Chili's, twice. they are close and deliver fast w/ DoorDash, and our order is always correct. Both times salad for me and burger for the husband. 

i have no problem w/ Chili's. Applebee's on the other hand is an abomination. 

50 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I have an almost CTJ level of hate toward cereal. I served it to my kids the other day just because I couldn’t handle the idea of doing dishes again that day 

Stop giving them plain Cheerios and serve up Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops, Lucky Charms, etc. and they’ll eat cereal for all three meals,  rinse out their bowls in between meals, don’t have to run the dishwasher.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I don't think there would have been nearly the backlash had dude ordered a quesadilla or burger or something Chili's does relatively "well." Just an odd choice for a first night of freedom meal.

I get that Chili's if staffed by local residents, but how much of your bill goes in their pockets? There are plenty of cheap local joints in every community that I'd choose to support first. Chili's is a Week 3 meal, at best.

Their Oldtimer with cheese is on point. One of the best burgers in town :)

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

Just now, mchookem said:

we've ordered about 50+ takeout meals since this started (long story - house remodel/kitchen construction since 3/9), and the only NON-local/national chain we've ordered is Chili's, twice. they are close and deliver fast w/ DoorDash, and our order is always correct. Both times salad for me and burger for the husband. 

i have no problem w/ Chili's. Applebee's on the other hand is an abomination. 

the original chili's in Dallas off Greenville was the bomb.  great cheap burgers and damn good chili.  place used to have 45 min to 1 hour waits on Friday's and Saturday's

No photo description available.

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away