Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Since Texas is reopening 

What is everyone's comfort level of participation?

Level 1 - Still Grocery/Curbside/Booze Only - w/Mask

Level 2 - Retail/Restaurant- w/Mask

Level 3 - Retail/Restaurant/Gym/Hair - w/Mask

Level 4 - I do what I want bitch - No Mask

Level 2 w/Mask. I am in the Valley dealing with my tenants. 90% of the people wearing masks. Happy Cinco de Mayo. 

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/new-mutation-indicates-that-coronavirus-might-be-weakening-study/

Study shows that this shit might be weakening.  This would be good news.

Would be great, but NY Post citing the Daily Mail? Meanwhile LA Times said the opposite. 

So we don't know shit. 

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Taking out the trash sucks too.

This is the damn truth.  I'll take doing the loads of dishes every day over taking out the trash what seems like twice a day.  Been tempted to hide the paper plates from the wife and say Costco ran out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

That said, I got SO pissed one time when I was visiting a client in a small town, who insisted on taking me out to lunch.  Was thinking that I was gonna get to eat at some cool local place.  He excitedly took me to the brand new Chilis on the interstate.  Sonofabitch.

Theclient.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You mean on Voss where Trader Joe's is currently across from what was Randalls and now the Whole Foods. There was no Gattis on Piney Point Rd or anywhere in the Villages.

Sorry, I meant San Felipe. From I10 Voss crosses Memorial and then San Felipe. San Felipe runs into Memorial around Piney Point so it makes kind of a V. The Gattis use to be on San Felipe between where it crosses Memorial and where it crosses Voss, not too far from Buffalo Bayou and on the opposite side of the street and maybe 500 yards towards Voss from Kincaid.

• Like 1

I know Texas gets a bad rap but there must be a shitpot full of unhealthy people in the Northeast and Michigan.
The northeast is second only to the west in terms of health. Still America though.
the original chili's in Dallas off Greenville was the bomb.  great cheap burgers and damn good chili.  place used to have 45 min to 1 hour waits on Friday's and Saturday's
12920248_1196440023729991_2720182582949316391_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=ihZYedfxUl0AX9yweY5&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=0c53af92fd4e282d236a2419f08b8a22&oe=5ED8C5AB
It's crazy to think of chili's or applebees or whatever as a cool neighborhood place. Whereas we've seen torchys, chuys, hopdoddy, etc. explode nationally and I still kind of think of them as local (though chuys just kind of sucks regardless). So it goes I guess.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

At least you have a dishwasher. We don't have one at all. It's been a beating these last 2 months.

Fuck me no way. I’d have gone to the store for milk and cigarettes and never come back. Thoughts and prayers man. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Would be great, but NY Post citing the Daily Mail? Meanwhile LA Times said the opposite. 

So we don't know shit. 

https://jvi.asm.org/content/jvi/early/2020/04/30/JVI.00711-20.full.pdf?mod=article_inline

Accepted manuscript in the Journal of Virology.  

Ultimately, we don't know shit about this virus.  We still do not know what the fuck it actually attacks.  

The one from the LA Times says it is more contagious, not more serious.  So perhaps it is now the more serious strain, but perhaps it is not the one causing more deaths.  Perhaps it is the one with all the asymptomatic carriers which might lead to herd immunity faster.  Ultimately, everyone is shooting in the dark.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Stop giving them plain Cheerios and serve up Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops, Lucky Charms, etc. and they’ll eat cereal for all three meals,  rinse out their bowls in between meals, don’t have to run the dishwasher.   

Oh we could do cereal/top ramen/Totino’s pizza indefinitely. I’m trying to teach them to be healthy eaters so they don’t grow up to be a fat slob like their dad. 

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Their Oldtimer with cheese is on point. One of the best burgers in town :)

The skillet quest is actually pretty good if you are stuck outside of Texas for a long period of time where there is nothing but awful Mexican food 

49 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, so this sucks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-05/one-of-the-world-s-best-restaurants-might-not-reopen-its-doors?srnd=pursuits-vp&sref=knoriXqz

Basically, it is questionable whether Eleven Madison Park will come back.  Fuck COVID-19.

Well, it's not like this is some important sandwich shop in West Campus, so, no sympathy from me!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/new-mutation-indicates-that-coronavirus-might-be-weakening-study/

Study shows that this shit might be weakening.  This would be good news.

It was always going to weaken. That’s what pretty much all viruses except the Spanish flu do, and the only reason that the stronger won out there was because of trench warfare and those that got really sick evacuated out to further the spread whereas the lighter version they stayed quarantined in their trenches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Neil Ferguson, architect of the Imperial College model that urged lockdowns, resigned from his government position for having his (married) lover over during shelter in place.  

At least he was locking down that poontang.  

The scientist whose advice prompted Boris Johnson to lock down Britain resigned from his Government advisory position on Tuesday night as The Telegraph can reveal he broke social distancing rules to meet his married lover.

Professor Neil Ferguson allowed the woman to visit him at home during the lockdown while lecturing the public on the need for strict social distancing in order to reduce the spread of coronavirus. The woman lives with her husband and their children in another house.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/05/exclusive-government-scientist-neil-ferguson-resigns-breaking/

I think he was realizing just how shitty his model was so he made the decision that he might as well get laid.  

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The northeast is second only to the west in terms of health. Still America though.
It's crazy to think of chili's or applebees or whatever as a cool neighborhood place. Whereas we've seen torchys, chuys, hopdoddy, etc. explode nationally and I still kind of think of them as local (though chuys just kind of sucks regardless). So it goes I guess.

I think the northeast has a shit ton of smokers.   midwest is probably the worst for smoker though

Edited by dcar00

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Since Texas is reopening 

Level 3.  If you want to cut my hair or serve me food and I can brighten your day by giving you gainful employment while we both help each other get back to normalcy I’m all for it. 

I truly believe it would be by far the best for society if we were all level 4 unless we were old and sick but that would have to be a societal agreement to go all in together and let the chips fall where they may and I don’t think that will ever happen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

I think the northeast has a shit ton of smokers. 

Based upon the people I went to law school with from there literally 100% of them smoked and they were all parliaments. That’s a sample size of 3, bitches. 

Science! 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Level 3.  If you want to cut my hair or serve me food and I can brighten your day by giving you gainful employment while we both help each other get back to normalcy I’m all for it. 

I truly believe it would be by far the best for society if we were all level 4 unless we were old and sick but that would have to be a societal agreement to go all in together and let the chips fall where they may and I don’t think that will ever happen. 

This as well.  Every lock-down is geographic in nature with virtually no conversation about demographics.  Triage those who are the most susceptible and less for those that are not.  

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you want to go get your hair cut and go to Applebee's for some extreme fajitas get on with your bad self.  Why do I need to be there too?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

If you want to go get your hair cut and go to Applebee's for some extreme fajitas get on with your bad self.  Why do I need to be there too?

I mean the part about not wearing masks and everyone being out together. 

What I was trying to say is I think the best thing that could happen for society is we isolate the olds and sick’s, everyone else goes out and catches this thing or doesn’t, some die, a few more get really really sick, but most don’t even notice or shrug it off and we have herd immunity and can go about business as usually economically, culturally, societally, etc. 

IOW I believe, if we had a time machine and looking back on this thing with hindsight, we’d mostly agree that it would have served society best to rip the bandaid off for the next month and just roll with it and get it over with. Kids back in school. Full commerce, no masks, let’s all get immunity ASAP and herd immunity for the community and then get back to putting the pieces together. 

For that to work it everybody needs to buy in. Because they won’t that would make me an asshole if I engage with level 4 behavior so I won’t. 

I also could be wrong and what we are doing might be best. Or maybe we should all lock down until we get a vaccine. This is just my best guess at optimum results that’s all. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

46 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes we get it. You don’t care about anyone but yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

My wife is one of those "wash the dishes by hand until they're spotless THEN put them in the dishwasher to completely disinfect them" freaks. Dreading when our kids are old enough to tornado through dishes.

My wife empties the dishwasher whenever the mood strikes here regardless if they are dirty or clean.  They go up in the cabinets.

• Like 1

Level 2ish.  I have to hit hardware stores pretty regularly for my side gig, and I wear a mask when doing so.  No plans for sitting down in a restaurant anytime soon.  I do grab takeout once every week or two trying to help out local joints.  

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m actually curious (and I’m probably going to regret this but I like figuring out where other people are coming from so I’m asking with all sincerity) what you think that chart means and what it tells us about how we should react to this pandemic. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

For that to work it everybody needs to buy in. Because they won’t that would make me an asshole if I engage with level 4 behavior so I won’t. 

Based on everything I've read there is nothing stopping you from going and doing pretty much whatever the hell you want without a mask on.  Why not just do it if you want to do it?  If you know in your heart it is the right thing to do then why concern yourself with the approval of others?  I'm not being sarcastic.  If you want to do it why not just do it?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m actually curious (and I’m probably going to regret this but I like figuring out where other people are coming from so I’m asking with all sincerity) what you think that chart means and what it tells us about how we should react to this pandemic. 

I don’t know.  My first question would be: How many of the asymptomatic prisoners end up developing symptoms?  Still a lot of unknowns with this virus.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Since Texas is reopening 

I guess I'm a 3.5...I'm not keg standing at a football tailgate but since Austin "reopened" I've had a meal/beer with a buddy (no mask) while generally being far apart and paying more attention to hygiene than I would have in January.

Edited by VolenteHawk

Relaxed rules regarding hair cuts

Here are some of the rules they will have to follow:

• One customer per stylist allowed in the establishment, unless they are waiting for service
  • Six feet of distancing between work stations
  • Appointment system encouraged
  • If allowing walk-ins, distancing required for people waiting for service
  • Customers and stylists are strongly recommended to wear masks throughout

Trying to figure out how that pesky mask will work lol.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away