Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

I grew up in San Antonio lol. And yeah, I did read through some of that page - you sure do like to cherrypick and ignore other actual instances.

Reveal hidden contents

May 3 – New York, NY: An Asian man was attacked on the subway by a stranger who shouted at him, "You're infected China boy, you need to get off the train." The assailant then grabbed the victim and attempted to pull him out of his seat. (Source: NY Daily News) 

April 25 – Pasadena, CA: An Asian man was walking with a friend when a motorist drove past and yelled at them, “Fucking Asians, motherfuckers. You brought this disease here.” Source: NextShark 

April 19 – San Francisco, CA: An Asian American woman was harassed while walking her dogs. She was told to "Go back to whatever fucking country you came from" and that "nasty people should stay in fucking Asia." (Source: Facebook) 

April 18 – Atlanta, GA: A plaque of Winnie the Pooh using chopsticks to eat a bat and the words “Wuhan Plague” was found outside a coffee shop. The plaque was also reportedly posted at other locations around East Atlanta on April 13 and April 16. (Source: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution) 

April 17 – Philadelphia, PA: (Date approximate) An Asian-owned restaurant was vandalized with spray-painted graffiti that included the racial slur “Chink.” Source: WHYY 

April 16 – Brooklyn, NY: An Asian woman was walking on the street in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood when two men harassed her with remarks about Chinese people and called her a “Fucking freak.” (Source: Reported to ADL) 

April 15 – Newton, MA: A high school advance placement Chinese class held on Zoom was disrupted by individuals who targeted the students and teachers using racial slurs and loud mock-Chinese, and posting “vile, hate-filled images.” (Source: Boston Globe) 

April 8 – Houston, TX: A woman verbally harassed employees of a Vietnamese restaurant, telling them, “Get out of our country.” (Source: ABC-13) 

I guess I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt by people trying to minimize public racism?

CR is such a debbie downer these days isn't it...

4 hours ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

NSIAP

Rona in your skeet

Reveal hidden contents

Traces of the COVID-19 coronavirus have been found in the semen of some severely infected men, raising the possibility that the virus might be sexually transmitted, a new study from China claims.

Researchers found evidence of the virus in six men out of a group of 38 COVID-19 patients at Shangqiu Municipal Hospital in China who provided samples.

The six men included four who were still infected and two who were recovering, the researchers said.

It's not surprising that the virus was found in semen samples, since it's also been found in stool and other body fluids, said Dr. Ryan Berglund, a urologist with the Cleveland Clinic's Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute.

Infectious viruses commonly are found in semen, with Zika being one recent notable example. The Chinese researchers noted that 27 different viruses have been detected in human semen.

However, Berglund and infectious disease experts warn that this does not constitute concrete evidence that COVID-19 can be sexually transmitted.

"I think that's premature," Berglund said. "You have to look at this as a sign that semen, as along with a number of other body fluids, can contain the virus."

The new paper comes on the heels of another study from China that found no traces of coronavirus in 34 men with mild to moderate cases of COVID-19. That study was published in late April in the journal Fertility and Sterility.

Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar with the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in Baltimore, said "the fact that the novel coronavirus' genetic material is found in the semen of male patients is an important finding that will need follow-up study."

Agreeing with the need for further research is Dr. Greg Poland, director of the Vaccine Research Group at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

"To me, it raises a warning, and now we have to attend to that warning and do the research," Poland said.

But both Adalja and Poland have doubts about the potential for COVID-19 to be sexually transmitted.

"We know the virus is transmitted efficiently through the respiratory route and we have not seen any documented cases of sexual transmission, therefore this may not necessarily represent proof of sexual transmissibility via the male genital tract," Adalja said.

Poland noted that the new study relies on testing that only detects traces of genetic material from the coronavirus.

"It doesn't tell you that it's whole, viable, infectious virus," Poland said. "If I ground up the virus and performed this test, it would be positive even though that virus has no infectious potential."

I'm curious about the sample collection method used for this.

47 minutes ago, bluto said:

Tried going through 2 different CFA drive thrus at 2pm today, the line at one was so long it creates issues at the stop light intersection. The other one clogged up an entire shopping center. Unreal, at 2, not even peak lunch!

It has been that way since the March stay home started at the Whataburger in Houston near Voss (Winrock) on San Felipe.  The traffic light at Winrock/San Felipe gets backed up due to the take out crowd.  I wished I could buy Whataburger stock.  It is now privately owned :(.  

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Bashing utterly stupid actions is within bounds, left or right....and this is weapons-grade, virtue signaling stupidity.  Layered with other pressing matters such as getting people back to work and reigniting a collapsing economy, this is utterly indefensible.  

Question: Is it within bounds to criticize states opening things up contrary to specific guidelines set forth by the CDC and the scientific community? Would the patriotic call of folding under pressure by a bunch of Karens not be considered "virtue signaling" by weak economic "cucks?" I mean, god forbid that there would be so many "snowflakes" who couldn't "toughen up, buttercup."

If they can't handle it, maybe they should've behaved responsibly and chosen essential jobs or worked from home instead of losing their nonessential ones. I guess they'll just have to eventually pull themselves up from their bootstraps like real men or starve, because it's a man-eat-man world out there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

703103e2f322e9cf94c3d5b223534d3d.jpg
It really is amazing how we choreograph our deaths to follow the same pattern for 5 straight weeks

You're right. It could only be an elaborately choreographed ballet performed by individual doctors, medical examiners, state health officials, and coroners from across the country from multiple jurisdictions to act in such unison to put on this intricately detailed and coordinated display of mathematical uniformity.

Edited by bolverk
I have no idea how they find the time to treat the sick, the dying, and the dead.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What’s your point? We increased testing this last week by double and had a meat plant outbreak that resulted in 1100+ cases.

My point was that deaths are still rising and cases are not constrained solely to meat packing plants, unless you consider Minneapolis and its suburbs as being packed full of meat plant workers.

Edited by bolverk
But, yeah, this is all sort of some accounting conspiracy.
  • Like 2

My point was that deaths are still rising and cases are not constrained solely to meat packing plants, unless you consider Minneapolis and its suburbs as being packed full of meat plant workers.

The meat packing plant is in rural Minnesota. County of 20k people, 1100 cases and 2 deaths. Our top death day is 30. Hopefully it stays that low. Nobody was shocked our cases skyrocketed after we went from 8-1200 a day to over 4000 now. I’m afraid it’s 6 weeks late for that boat and we’ve moved on to wanting antibody tests

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Question: Is it within bounds to criticize states opening things up contrary to specific guidelines set forth by the CDC and the scientific community? Would the patriotic call of folding under pressure by a bunch of Karens not be considered "virtue signaling" by weak economic "cucks?" I mean, god forbid that there would be so many "snowflakes" who couldn't "toughen up, buttercup."

If they can't handle it, maybe they should've behaved responsibly and chosen essential jobs or worked from home instead of losing their nonessential ones. I guess they'll just have to eventually pull themselves up from their bootstraps like real men or starve, because it's a man-eat-man world out there.

yep spot on

Unless of course we have a heavy rain and it overwhelms the water treatment facilities and we go on an extended boil water notice again. That seems like something that would amuse the people that are running the simulation. 
Nah that's too easy to work around by, you know, boiling the water. The matrix has something better in store, I'm sure.

As well as reconciled with significant hospital (who are facing massive budget shortfalls) financial incentives to label the COD as COVID, even when other factors were present.  It's hard to know all the facts.  

Or you look at overall mortality and see the big picture. Between the 7-state study and this report, you see mortality spiking in correlation with COVID. This includes the poor souls dying at home.

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

We both work from home. I can't remember the last time I had the hair stand up on my arms from needing to take a shit.

The waste water tracking seems like a pipe dream. How do you determine how many people the facility is serving? You have commercial businesses with slow days, and heavy days. How many people are in each household? How many have a lot of visitors? How much does each and every person shit a day? Isn't one of the occasional symptoms of COVID diarrhea? It just seems like there are too many variables. I would love for it to work, but everyone would need a tally sheet in each bathroom. First, you shit in a bucket, and weigh it on your mattress scale. Write the weight down on the tally sheet with the name of each shitter, the weight of their shit, and the day said shit happened. At the end of the week send your weekly shit weight report to the waste water facility (along with a TPS report, be sure to keep a copy). 

CHIEF

When engineers design a wastewater plant, they use population estimates and projections to determine the size of the plant for present and future needs.  Unless there is existing more accurate data, they use an estimate of 50 to 70 gallons per person per day, and multiply that by that community's density estimate.  There are also rule of thumb numbers for contributions from restaurants, various businesses, and industrial contributions to the flow.  These estimates determine the capacity needed to treat the expected flows.  You can reverse that and estimate how many are contributing to a measured amount of flow by using the same calculations.  

If you know that you have a population of about 50,000, and you have 10 confirmed cases in that population, you would expect a small amount of virus remnants in the wastewater.  If you find a large presence of virus remnants in the plant, you can bet that you have more than 10 cases.  It is not a precise measurement of exactly how many cases you have, but you can look at the data and get a rough picture of the presence of a virus.  I have heard of this method being used for other viruses such as Ebola and flu, too.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

You're right. It could only be an elaborately choreographed ballet performed by individual doctors, medical examiners, state health officials, and coroners from across the country from multiple jurisdictions to act in such unison to put on this intricately detailed and coordinated display of mathematical uniformity.

If there is any federal financial benefit from reporting COVID-19 as either the cause of death, or contributed to death. You can bet your ass there is corruption. I don’t care to do the mental gymnastics to speculate how. I’m just relying on my 6 decades of watching humanity make a buck. 

How has Texas done with its re-opening? Are barber shops and movie theaters still closed or is everything open now? NC just lifted some restrictions yesterday. Bars and restaurants still takeout only, theaters and hair places still closed, but all stores can reopen at 50% capacity. SC is re-opening bars and restaurants on Monday, supposedly at only 50% capacity, people spaced 6 feet apart, etc but I think once it actually happens those rules will go out the window in a lot of places

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:
12 hours ago, Anastasis said:
Unless of course we have a heavy rain and it overwhelms the water treatment facilities and we go on an extended boil water notice again. That seems like something that would amuse the people that are running the simulation. 

Nah that's too easy to work around by, you know, boiling the water. The matrix has something better in store, I'm sure.

This comment absolutely captures the gist of things.  Tests are in short supply or innaccurate.

”We shouldn’t open things up until we can test everyone.”

LOLz.  How convenient...

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 3

Guest Lobo

You're right, their hearts also stopped beating so they died with corona virus and of heart attacks. 

"The only thing the heart understands is violence." 

-Norm MacDonald 

Edited by Lobo

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You're right, their hearts also stopped beating so they died with corona virus and of heart attacks. 

"The only thing the heart understands is violence." 

-Norm MacDonald 

People are going to die if we open things up.

”Death is not new. Why is that the standard now?”

You’re so uncaring and insensitive.  Can’t you see how much we care?

No, I missed it.

Guest Lobo

He does a great bit about heart attacks and how technically the heart is always the thing that really kills you.  And so he got a defibrilator to preemptively attack his own heart before it kills him because the only thing the heart understands is violence.  It's fucking hilarious.  And I think about it anytime the debate comes up about if Covid-19 is really killing people or some other factor.  The laughter helps take the stink off the debate. 

Not you or me, but somehow whether or not somebody has the right to cough on me in public became a political discussion.  We're here in Texas, home of manners and politeness, debating the social merits of not spraying saliva on people.  That's where we are now, so yeah---check out Norm's standup.    

1 hour ago, iodeac said:

How has Texas done with its re-opening? Are barber shops and movie theaters still closed or is everything open now? NC just lifted some restrictions yesterday. Bars and restaurants still takeout only, theaters and hair places still closed, but all stores can reopen at 50% capacity. SC is re-opening bars and restaurants on Monday, supposedly at only 50% capacity, people spaced 6 feet apart, etc but I think once it actually happens those rules will go out the window in a lot of places

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

In Texas bars are still closed, restaurants were allowed to open at 25% a week ago, but many haven't attempted reopening yet. Take-out/curbside has been open the entire time, some are still doing that, many never did.  

Movie theaters were allowed to open at 25% a week ago too, bust the vast majority did not.

Barbers/hair cutters were allowed to open yesterday, not sure how that's going.

16 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

In San Antonio? Have you ever been to San Antonio?

Also, feel free to read through the page you just linked. Are you fucking serious right now?

Example:

March 23 – Des Moines, IA: An Asian American woman was waiting in line at a bakery when a white couple said, “Oh gosh, not here” and “fled” to another line when they saw she was Asian. (Source: Des Moines Register

So a white guy, a black guy, and an asian guy all walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "Oh gosh. Not here!" and flees to another bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We both work from home. I can't remember the last time I had the hair stand up on my arms from needing to take a shit.
The waste water tracking seems like a pipe dream. How do you determine how many people the facility is serving? You have commercial businesses with slow days, and heavy days. How many people are in each household? How many have a lot of visitors? How much does each and every person shit a day? Isn't one of the occasional symptoms of COVID diarrhea? It just seems like there are too many variables. I would love for it to work, but everyone would need a tally sheet in each bathroom. First, you shit in a bucket, and weigh it on your mattress scale. Write the weight down on the tally sheet with the name of each shitter, the weight of their shit, and the day said shit happened. At the end of the week send your weekly shit weight report to the waste water facility (along with a TPS report, be sure to keep a copy). 
CHIEF

You really don't though. Obviously you're not going to catch individual cases through that method but by wastewater tests you can at least have a data point on how widespread it is in the community. It's not perfect but we have no real method of doing that right now.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

When engineers design a wastewater plant, they use population estimates and projections to determine the size of the plant for present and future needs.  Unless there is existing more accurate data, they use an estimate of 50 to 70 gallons per person per day, and multiply that by that community's density estimate.  There are also rule of thumb numbers for contributions from restaurants, various businesses, and industrial contributions to the flow.  These estimates determine the capacity needed to treat the expected flows.  You can reverse that and estimate how many are contributing to a measured amount of flow by using the same calculations.  

If you know that you have a population of about 50,000, and you have 10 confirmed cases in that population, you would expect a small amount of virus remnants in the wastewater.  If you find a large presence of virus remnants in the plant, you can bet that you have more than 10 cases.  It is not a precise measurement of exactly how many cases you have, but you can look at the data and get a rough picture of the presence of a virus.  I have heard of this method being used for other viruses such as Ebola and flu, too.

A real scheiss meister.

I design plants.  It's been a trend with low flush toilets and other water saving devices, that flows trend downward over time.  We're seeing them as low as 30 gallons per capita per day, especially in single family residential with new construction.  There is a lot more shit in mg/L than there used to be as well.  So he is exactly right, we can correlate the concentration/occurrence of any detectable material and make a very educated guess as to how widespread it is.

A lot of people flush weird shit down the toilet btw.  It's all found at the headworks of the plant.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

A real scheiss meister.

I design plants.  It's been a trend with low flush toilets and other water saving devices, that flows trend downward over time.  We're seeing them as low as 30 gallons per capita per day, especially in single family residential with new construction.  There is a lot more shit in mg/L than there used to be as well.  So he is exactly right, we can correlate the concentration/occurrence of any detectable material and make a very educated guess as to how widespread it is.

A lot of people flush weird shit down the toilet btw.  It's all found at the headworks of the plant.

Yep.  The organic loading at my plant has been steadily increasing while my flows have remained pretty steady.  We may have to modify it in the future to address this.  

And yes, I have pulled some incredible things from my bar screens.  Money, women's underwear, pictures that little Suzy didn't want Mom and Dad to find, dead squirrels, 2x4s, 4x4s, plastic carboys, and, of course, twat whistles and rubbers.  Lately the damned "flushable" wipes and rubber gloves have been real problems.

• Like 2

A real scheiss meister.

As a litigator negotiating in an enforcement action, I remember when our consultant talked about the problem that “rags” create in the system. I asked my female law partner what that meant...she smiled so big when she told me.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo
2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You heard it from me first, "Korean Pub Crawl" is my band name. Any you fuckers steal it, there'll be legal hell to pay.  

20 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Where is that one? Grabbed some yesterday in Austin and they didn’t have those but they were wearing N95 masks. Was well worth the run.

That’s actually an older pic, I think.  Some locations have the employees wear those when it’s cold and raining.  It’s not really a virus thing.  But it is funny.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away