Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, Anastasis said:

CR vs. non-CR seems pretty clear to me. Running interference for a creep proudly serving as an ATM into the filipino sex trafficking industry among our ranks seems a bit different, imo. 

Or you know, getting put in timeout for calling bullshit on HCQ and cloroquine treatments and those that push it as viable in absence of evidence or proof. 

True at not just pools but any place children congregate. I rode my bike through the park today and there were about 5 families having a picnic together. They are the types that will lead to people dying from COVID-19 and will possibly cause the government to shutdown my business again.

No, no they are not. If the country adheres to small gatherings and general social distancing we’ll ride this out and “win”. It’s not flash tag.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Or you know, getting put in timeout for calling bullshit on HCQ and cloroquine treatments and those that push it as viable in absence of evidence or proof. 

Yeah, I don't get that.  Posts mocking HCQ and nonsensical virology conspiracy theories get ghosted in the interference.  I guess that if you just put it in a youtube video it acts like a shield.  

Guest Lobo

So there was a U.S. private sector lab that’s been researching viruses from Bats in East Asia since at least 2003 who worked directly with the Wuhan Labs up until a few weeks ago?   How the hell am I just learning about them now?  Kinda seems like an obvious place to start with regards to how to fight this thing, no?

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

My post cracking on his evangelism of hydroxychloroquine and virology quackery was also deleted, so who knows. 

Didn’t he self-publish an alternative quackery physics book a few years ago?

9 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

It is hard to imagine an obese Somali.

Personally, I think it's Neanderthal genes, or lack of 'em. Neanderthals would trade Baltic amber to Denisovans for Million-Year-Old T-Rex eggs, built up a resistance to the bat funk as a byproduct. So that little Florensis chick told me.

I should be alright then. Per 23&Me I am more Neanderthal than 82 percent of people who've tested, and every time they update the database, I climb in the ranks. I'll be getting my Certified Caveman placard soon.

I wore my new company logo'd cloth mask to HEB on Saturday and I got to say a simple neckerchief pulled up works better. I wear glasses and the mask fits so snugly that the glasses steam up so you end up pulling it down to expose the nose. I saw the picture posted upthread and yeah, that was me. We've put a man on the moon (allegedly) but can't devise a mask that won't steam glasses? C'mon America! 

29 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I wore my new company logo'd cloth mask to HEB on Saturday and I got to say a simple neckerchief pulled up works better. I wear glasses and the mask fits so snugly that the glasses steam up so you end up pulling it down to expose the nose. I saw the picture posted upthread and yeah, that was me. We've put a man on the moon (allegedly) but can't devise a mask that won't steam glasses? C'mon America! 

Have you tried google before?

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/08/853009325/how-to-prevent-glasses-from-fogging-up-while-wearing-a-mask

• Like 1

I was calling bullshit, but looks like Denver Post confirmed. Still now way it wasn’t somehow a publicity stunt for those in that camp. I have a hard time believing zero masks wasn’t some orchestrated “meet up” with the owners permission. I am confident the huge majority agrees mask are prerequisite for slowly turning things back on.

Well here’s a shot a neighbor sent from Seaside in Florida a few days ago:

af43a49211374b585a02cd13190ddb13.mov

6 minutes ago, B00M said:

Ok try making the mask fit your nose better or try scuba diving anti fog products. 

https://www.nytimes.com/article/glasses-fog-wearing-mask-coronavirus.html

My mask is snug over my nose, but you still have issues.  And I have never found the antifog scuba stuff to work well.  I used to have it for my swim goggles when I was on swim team, and it was ok, but I found other things that worked better.  However, goggles =/ sunglasses, and licking the inside of swim goggles is not something you can do with sunglasses.  

It is only going to get worse as it gets hotter/more humid.  Hell, I imagine wearing a mask outside is going to be downright unbearable in the summer.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

9 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My mask is snug over my nose, but you still have issues.  And I have never found the antifog scuba stuff to work well.  I used to have it for my swim goggles when I was on swim team, and it was ok, but I found other things that worked better.  However, goggles =/ sunglasses, and licking the inside of swim goggles is not something you can do with sunglasses.  

It is only going to get worse as it gets hotter/more humid.  Hell, I imagine wearing a mask outside is going to be downright unbearable in the summer.

I've worn n95 masks to do yard work in the Texas summer for years, with sunglasses with minimal or only occassional fogging. But I guess you're problem is unique and unsolvable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, B00M said:

I've worn n95 masks to do yard work in the Texas summer for years, with sunglasses with minimal or only occassional fogging. But I guess you're problem is unique and unsolvable. 

I have an extreme phobia to having my nose and mouth covered.  I always have, ever since I was little.  We have had a very chilly spring so far, so the mask is not too bad.  On the days when it has been in the 70s (two so far), the mast was very, very uncomfortable, and while walking the dogs, I pulled it down as technically, I am only required to have it on when I cannot socially distance.

Also, not talking about n95s.  Talking about fabric masks.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Last week, the World Health Organization sought permission from Beijing to send a new scientific mission for more epidemiological detective work. China, which let a WHO team into the country in early February as its epidemic raged, hasn’t yet signed off.

Color me skeptical that Beijing will allow the transparency necessary to find the real answers. 

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

No the problem is that YOU can’t discuss what YOU consider the single most important factor. Oh wait you can and it’s called the CR. You know I’m far, far from a political poster but over the last few weeks I’ve ventured over there a few times to post things that I thought might be a little over the line for this thread. Works for me.

Did you wash your hands & then shower afterwards before coming back here?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Mrs. Brat inserts a wire or pipe cleaner into the upper seam of the masks she makes, so it can be pressed in close to the nose & retain the close shape/fit.

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

So there was a U.S. private sector lab that’s been researching viruses from Bats in East Asia since at least 2003 who worked directly with the Wuhan Labs up until a few weeks ago?   How the hell am I just learning about them now?  Kinda seems like an obvious place to start with regards to how to fight this thing, no?

You got a link?

Went to Domain yesterday evening for MD with wife/daughters(no pics).   At least 80% of people walking around did not wear a mask.  The restaurant we went to was over 50% full, no masks for guests.  All wait staff had on masks but weren't happy about it.  On the way,  Bull Creek and Pennybacker were packed with young adults, not a mask to be seen anywhere.  

18 hours ago, XYZ said:

Yes, it is nice to see people walking. The amount of foot traffic in my suburban neighborhood has increased by a factor of 10 or more. One can only hope that when life returns to “go, go, go” mode, people will keep walking. Not holding my breath, though.

As do I.  We know that the health of the host impacts the efficacy of the infection, so exercise, sunlight, and other factors need to be a part of the prevention regiment.  I said before, if there is a silver lining, I hope that it's a wake up call for people to start taking more accountability for their individual health and well being.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, justhookit said:

No the problem is that YOU can’t discuss what YOU consider the single most important factor. Oh wait you can and it’s called the CR. You know I’m far, far from a political poster but over the last few weeks I’ve ventured over there a few times to post things that I thought might be a little over the line for this thread. Works for me.

Its no fun in the CR right now.  very cold and the daily circle jerk is even wearing on the regulars.

• Like 2

I was calling bullshit, but looks like Denver Post confirmed. Still now way it wasn’t somehow a publicity stunt for those in that camp. I have a hard time believing zero masks wasn’t some orchestrated “meet up” with the owners permission. I am confident the huge majority agrees mask are prerequisite for slowly turning things back on.
It was definitely a stunt and hopefully the health dept will shut that bitch down. Overall, CO is doing what we need to do and our numbers have been steadily dropping for a month.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Does anyone know how the 1918 global pandemic started? Because 50 million people died in that one and I’m not sure if we’ve come to a consensus on who needs to be held responsible. 

No but Fuck China.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Does anyone know how the 1918 global pandemic started? Because 50 million people died in that one and I’m not sure if we’ve come to a consensus on who needs to be held responsible. 

Probably Russia....

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Sorry Obtuse Tuesday is tomorrow.  Save your thought for discussion then. But here's a little homework assignment, in 100 words or less explain why not knowing where this originated isn't an important issue in the study, and hopefully cure of this nasty little bugger.  

• Like 2

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That is what I used to do with my goggles, but that generally does not work on sunglasses (I have tried it in the past).  It got so bad this weekend while I had my eyeglasses on, that I put my contacts back in.

I wear glasses, and when I wear an N95 mask I just make sure the nose bridge of the mask is tight around my face. Also try not to lean down when you breath it makes it worse.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away