Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What do you do for a living?  Not an attack or anything, just a question, because you don’t seem to understand that a lot of people are hurting, and there are no stimulus checks on the horizon for those folks.  That $1,200 or whatever they got is gone.   

That's petty easily solved by giving those people money.  A simple and elegant solution.  Far cheaper to do that then fixing the next outbreak

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

because you don’t seem to understand that a lot of people are hurting, and there are no stimulus checks on the horizon for those folks.

I’m not sure how this is my fault or what my occupation has to do with it.  I didn’t inherit any money and I don’t live off my parents if that’s what you’re wondering.  I know everyone wants to hear good news and I’m all for optimism.   I do believe things will eventually get better.  I just can’t tell you when. 

43 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m not sure how this is my fault or what my occupation has to do with it.  I didn’t inherit any money and I don’t live off my parents if that’s what you’re wondering.  I know everyone wants to hear good news and I’m all for optimism.   I do believe things will eventually get better.  I just can’t tell you when. 

I'll bet you that if we take your approach things won't get better for years, and years, maybe a decade.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'll tbet you that if we take your approach things won't get better for years, and years, maybe a decade.

This is probably true because I would be making long term investments in the population instead of waiting for bad things to happen due to not investing in the population. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

53 minutes ago, Iceman said:

You can google the fuck out of almost anything, but finding the total deaths in the US through APR '19 and APR '20 is damned near impossible.

Weird as fuck, eh?

Totally weird and suspicious. Also, did you know that they make tracking chips so small that they can fit through the needle of a government mandated vaccine shot?!

are you familiar with the concept of arithmetic?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/provisional-tables.htm

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Totally weird and suspicious. Also, did you know that they make tracking chips so small that they can fit through the needle of a government mandated vaccine shot?!

what vaccine?

To be fair, I've called out that horseshit among friends too.  I find it just as comical...and disturbing as you might.

Edited by Iceman

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

What do you do for a living?  Not an attack or anything, just a question, because you don’t seem to understand that a lot of people are hurting, and there are no stimulus checks on the horizon for those folks.  That $1,200 or whatever they got is gone.   

And many did not even get that...

Well our TxDot project in Waco has been shut down. one of our laborers wives tested positive for coronavirus today. We shut down and abandoned the job site and rushed to a clinic in spring Texas for testing. I have been here and I already have the swaps done a few minutes ago.

I did not think it was possible to shut down and clear a major project in that short of a time. the entire project look like a ghost town in a matter of minutes.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

"things" already got better...2M to 100K, no hospital surge.

• Like 2

The United States, with 4.2% of the population, now has more cases than the bottom 206 countries on the list combined, representing 85.8% of the world's population.

Team USA has completed 11.1 million tests compared with the bottom 206 countries' combined 23.9 million tests.  That may mean there are more unfound cases in the smaller countries, but we are still way in the lead.

Edited by Texas Jeff

18 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

If you keep reading at the very end they say it’s been a pessimistic model. Which when it was debuted a lot of us scoffed at it. 4 weeks later we’re still not trending up at all for deaths, between 20-30 daily.

https://cse.umn.edu/college/feature-stories/modeling-covid-19-minnesota why we keep referring to it, no idea

We’ll see I guess.

I mean coming to terms with the fact that suppression is not a viable strategy and may end up killing more people in the long run.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

This girl I’ve been seeing in the side just tested positive for COVID-19. She tells me her husband’s large construction project was completely shut down because of her test results. Interesting because I got the impression her and her husband  hadn’t been close in quite some time.

Dang, I thought she would strictly be Vic material.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

This girl I’ve been seeing in the side just tested positive for COVID-19. She tells me her husband’s large construction project was completely shut down because of her test results. Interesting because I got the impression her and her husband  hadn’t been close in quite some time.

shocking!

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The economy is going to have to change regardless of policy decisions.  Much of the economy is not coming back for the foreseeable future.  The government cannot force consumers to behave like they did six months ago with C19 outbreaks everywhere, no matter how hard they try.

By not catching up to virus before reopening, consumers are going to feel less safe and less likely to spend like they previously were. Hear me now and believe me later, this gambit to “restart the economy” prematurely will backfire.  

It’s not premature. The health care system is not overwhelmed. The rest of what you said is completely true. 

35 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

user name checks out 

• Like 1

The regular flu kills people of all ages too. Like I’ve already said, this virus is getting way too much attention to become a worldwide pandemic. Fears are too high already and too many precautions are already being taken. The next global plague will be something that comes out of nowhere & blindsides the world. Anything short of that won’t reach pandemic levels. It’s not 1919 anymore.

Tagged.  Let is revisit in 18 months.  (I agree with you, but still.)

Why wait?
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

The United States, with 4.2% of the population, now has more cases than the bottom 206 countries on the list combined, representing 85.8% of the world's population.

Team USA has completed 11.1 million tests compared with the bottom 206 countries' combined 23.9 million tests.  That may mean there are more unfound cases in the smaller countries, but we are still way in the lead.

Which makes the percentage of Covid cases ending in fatalities even better. 

8 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I want to party with you.

I swear, my eyesight is starting to go and every fucking time you post I'm like "oh, he workswithweed" and I look at your av at all that green thinking it's weed.  

Every single time.

• Like 1

Just checking in to see who the alarmist idiots are.

Edit: How many of you alarmist idiots got your flu shot this year?

Y'all do realize that even though there isn't a specific vaccine for this WuFlu, the regular ol' flu shot will make it less likely you will get it. And reduce the symptoms if you do get it, right?

I wonder how many of the current cases, here and abroad, got their flu shot this year.

Knew I’d find some hot takes in the early pages of this thread
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

In places like Texas, we never even had a curve to flatten...we locked down very early in the viral process.  The infection and death rate on May 1 is the baseline rate for our definition of essential businesses, as we'd been sheltering in place for 5+ weeks by then.  Most geographies tell a similar story.  If you argue the essential business net was too wide, I'd probably agree with that, but our spike has been damn near non-existent.

I can't really square that with the idea that we didn't take it seriously.

We are two weeks from being NY you moron!!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah your response is complete bullshit. The lockdowns and trillions of lost dollars prove you completely wrong, as far as intent anyway.

You might not agree with the steps or think they're enough, but you're out of your mind if you think people haven't taken this seriously.  If it were nothing more than a an "economic irritation and inconvenience," then not one municipality, county, or state would have taken the steps they have to help prevent the spread and flatten the curve.

I really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it's quite possible you're the biggest fucking moron on this entire forum, and that is REALLY saying something,

yep. the interesting thing is if NY/NJ hadn't decided to send covid positive patients to nursing homes during the 15 day lock down...dumbass yankees.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah your response is complete bullshit. The lockdowns and trillions of lost dollars prove you completely wrong, as far as intent anyway.

You might not agree with the steps or think they're enough, but you're out of your mind if you think people haven't taken this seriously.  If it were nothing more than a an "economic irritation and inconvenience," then not one municipality, county, or state would have taken the steps they have to help prevent the spread and flatten the curve.

I really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it's quite possible you're the biggest fucking moron on this entire forum, and that is REALLY saying something,

He is OK with the destruction just as long as said destruction can be blamed on Covid19.  He doesn’t want to acknowledge the greater destruction caused by the shutdown.  Some people just enjoy watching the world burn.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

just wait until they get all the workers tested at the plant in Cactus......

Just wait until they work through the prisoner testing, which they are starting to test all prisoners, whether they have symptoms or not.

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/nearly-7k-asymptomatic-texas-prisoners-and-staff-tested-for-covid-19-in-first-3-days/

Edited by atomheartbevo

8 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

In places like Texas, we never even had a curve to flatten...we locked down very early in the viral process.  The infection and death rate on May 1 is the baseline rate for our definition of essential businesses, as we'd been sheltering in place for 5+ weeks by then.  Most geographies tell a similar story.  If you argue the essential business net was too wide, I'd probably agree with that, but our spike has been damn near non-existent.

I can't really square that with the idea that we didn't take it seriously.

As long as your local and surrounding areas are prepared to rapidly respond to an outbreak, I think it would be a manageable risk.  

The thing is, by the time you are made aware of an outbreak, there should be some kind of plan in place to do things like slow travel within the area. 

How the population behaves will determine the likelihood of localized outbreaks and their intensity.  This is an unknown variable but if everyone goes back to normal all at once, it’s reasonable to assume an outbreak will happen sooner then later.

Texas got lucky because the outbreaks in NYC and New Orleans were early warnings.  The virus is nowhere near contained though and there is no cure or treatment. Also, we still don’t know everything there is to know about this virus. 

I live in Louisiana but close enough to Texas to know that how Texas responds will effect how it will go for my area.  I want this shit gone with the quickness but I also know the best way there without making more serious sacrifices is to stay vigilant and stay at home a lot until people aren’t getting killed by this in ugly numbers. 

• Like 1

here it comes.  the CDC's flu/estimation game is going to get a hard look

https://www.foxnews.com/health/u-s-weekly-coronavirus-mortality-rate-20-fold-greater-than-influenza-study

Covid turns to pneumonia count it Covid

Flu turns to pneumonia count it pneumonia

avg estimated CDC pneumonia deaths 50K-55K

avg estimated flu deaths CDC around 35K-40K

actual case reported flu deaths closer to 7K

This is really interesting below from a doctor - Request for correction and on the HHS.gov website

https://aspe.hhs.gov/cdc-—-influenza-deaths-request-correction-rfc

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

As long as your local and surrounding areas are prepared to rapidly respond to an outbreak, I think it would be a manageable risk.  

The thing is, by the time you are made aware of an outbreak, there should be some kind of plan in place to do things like slow travel within the area. 

How the population behaves will determine the likelihood of localized outbreaks and their intensity.  This is an unknown variable but if everyone goes back to normal all at once, it’s reasonable to assume an outbreak will happen sooner then later.

Texas got lucky because the outbreaks in NYC and New Orleans were early warnings.  The virus is nowhere near contained though and there is no cure or treatment. Also, we still don’t know everything there is to know about this virus. 

I live in Louisiana but close enough to Texas to know that how Texas responds will effect how it will go for my area.  I want this shit gone with the quickness but I also know the best way there without making more serious sacrifices is to stay vigilant and stay at home a lot until people aren’t getting killed by this in ugly numbers. 

its funny how we keep getting lucky in Texas...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

That's petty easily solved by giving those people money.  A simple and elegant solution.  Far cheaper to do that then fixing the next outbreak

At the earliest, there's no second round of stimulus checks coming until late June or early July.  I'd put it at better than 50% we are not even getting a second round between now and the fall.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away