Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

As long as your local and surrounding areas are prepared to rapidly respond to an outbreak, I think it would be a manageable risk.  

The thing is, by the time you are made aware of an outbreak, there should be some kind of plan in place to do things like slow travel within the area. 

How the population behaves will determine the likelihood of localized outbreaks and their intensity.  This is an unknown variable but if everyone goes back to normal all at once, it’s reasonable to assume an outbreak will happen sooner then later.

Texas got lucky because the outbreaks in NYC and New Orleans were early warnings.  The virus is nowhere near contained though and there is no cure or treatment. Also, we still don’t know everything there is to know about this virus. 

I live in Louisiana but close enough to Texas to know that how Texas responds will effect how it will go for my area.  I want this shit gone with the quickness but I also know the best way there without making more serious sacrifices is to stay vigilant and stay at home a lot until people aren’t getting killed by this in ugly numbers. 

Maybe, but you seem to be taking a pretty extreme view of what returning to normal means.  The notion that an outbreak approaching NY is even possible now is silly.  We're not going back to jammed subways and bro hugs with fellow season ticket holders at Knicks games.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just wait until they work through the prisoner testing, which they are starting to test all prisoners, whether they have symptoms or not.

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/nearly-7k-asymptomatic-texas-prisoners-and-staff-tested-for-covid-19-in-first-3-days/

Inmates self testing...lol.....just how many false negatives can you count

18 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

Maybe, but you seem to be taking a pretty extreme view of what returning to normal means.  The notion that an outbreak approaching NY is even possible now is silly.  We're not going back to jammed subways and bro hugs with fellow season ticket holders at Knicks games.

And Chinese New Year is a long way off. 

21 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

People might not believe in Darwinism, but Darwinism believes in them. 

• Fuck You 3

58 minutes ago, stork642 said:

He is OK with the destruction just as long as said destruction can be blamed on Covid19.  He doesn’t want to acknowledge the greater destruction caused by the shutdown.  Some people just enjoy watching the world burn.  

it gives me a little tickle.

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

People might not believe in Darwinism, but Darwinism believes in them. 

So only so called idiots need to be worried about Covid19.  Clearly you are of such high intelligence you are safe.  I guess you just care that much for everyone else.   

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:ut don't forget those folks and businesses who are at the end of their rope financially.

I don’t know what to say.  I support all kinds of policies that would alleviate a lot of pain but I can’t talk about that in this thread without getting banned.  Just gonna have to pull up them bootstraps and hope for the best with thoughts and prayers.  Free market will fix!  I’m drunk AF. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

He is OK with the destruction just as long as said destruction can be blamed on Covid19.  He doesn’t want to acknowledge the greater destruction caused by the shutdown.  Some people just enjoy watching the world burn.  

This is some sanctimonious bullshit. 

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Well our TxDot project in Waco has been shut down. one of our laborers wives tested positive for coronavirus today. We shut down and abandoned the job site and rushed to a clinic in spring Texas for testing. I have been here and I already have the swaps done a few minutes ago.

I did not think it was possible to shut down and clear a major project in that short of a time. the entire project look like a ghost town in a matter of minutes.

The I-35 project?  Jesus 

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t know what to say.  I support all kinds of policies that would alleviate a lot of pain but I can’t talk about that in this thread without getting banned.  Just gonna have to pull up them bootstraps and hope for the best with thoughts and prayers.  Free market will fix!  I’m drunk AF. 

You should take a deep drink of some whiskey and go ahead and tell us what you really think.  I'll do the same while I wait your response with bated breath.

8 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Hasn't that project been "ongoing" for 20+ years already?  Not like they need an excuse to clear out and take a day off.

They really just got the major work going through Waco last summer.  It’s a shitshow right now 

2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Yeah I drove through Waco a few weeks back. Driving next to 18 wheelers with narrow lanes and no shoulders is fun.

I hit the on-ramp driving from 4th/5th North bound to Dallas today just as a fucking wind farm blade was passing by.  I was already committed so I had to go.  That damn thing almost hit me since he was rolling both lanes.   Couldn’t even see it until I was already up at the end of the on-ramp 

24 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

A lot of people won’t be living if they can’t fucking eat you fuck.  A lot of food pantries and churches won’t be feeding people either when the generous folks can no longer feed their own fucking families, let alone donate $$ or food for others to eat.  Jesus Christ, some of you fucking ingrates can’t seem to see past one line of a pint and understand the actual logic behind it.   

you’re the same fuckers that we’re screaming a month ago about “Testing Testing testing!!”   Well, we’re doing far more testing now than we were 3 weeks ago.   And we have about as many and perhaps slightly increased positive results, with more people out and about than 3 weeks ago.  And you know what?   The fucking hospitals are not overrun, the percentage of positive tests has declined, the hospitalization rate and intubation rates/lengths have declined.   

but apparently that’s still not good enough. Where will you move the goal posts next?   

Shit is really really bad.  People want some easy explanation, someone easy to blame, and some magic bullet to fix it.  The thing is, shit was really bad before this but people didn’t give a fuck or care to notice until it affected them and now they’re really upset that not enough people care.  Some of us have been upset for a while and we’ve been mocked and dismissed for being upset.  No one wants this situation but perhaps we should be looking to minimize future damage and working to make sure these things don’t hurt so much when they happen again, because they will happen again if people don’t properly assess how we got here.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

30 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Hasn't that project been "ongoing" for 20+ years already?  Not like they need an excuse to clear out and take a day off.

Reworking 35 is like painting the Golden Gate Bridge. By the time you get to the other end, it’s time to start again.  

• Like 3

ACtC-3dE_tQ0SbhKHJc4x5ok6cZtNE2npo70O2Mh

Okay, this is way overdue.

We are at a turning point right now.  We should start to see effects of opening soon.  That wiggle in the

Big chart:  We are in a slow decline. If we were to keep going on this path, we likely could suppress the virus by April 2021.  And we wouldn't even have the herd immunity to prevent another breakout at that point.  Last time I posted I said "I'm in the controlled-spread camp and think we need to open up a bit.  Suppress and contain won't work and can be detrimental to both beating the virus and the economy to even attempt."  That's far more true now.

Lower left chart: Fatality rate is steady.  There's no reason for it to change yet, so it's a good sign for the model.  We have less than one-fifth of a reasonable goal I set for herd immunity (which is the top of the chart).  This will get re-evaluated as we open up.

We are kind of in a blind spot right now as to overall strategy.  We know the extent of how hard we can shutdown.  Over the next few weeks we'll see the results of re-opening.  Where we go from there is an enigma.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Shit is really really bad.  People want some easy explanation, someone easy to blame, and some magic bullet to fix it.  The thing is, shit was really bad before this but people didn’t give a fuck or care to notice until it affected them and now they’re really upset that not enough people care.  Some of us have been upset for a while and we’ve been mocked and dismissed for being upset.  No one wants this situation but perhaps we should be looking to minimize future damage and working to make sure these things don’t hurt so much when they happen again, because they will happen again if people don’t properly assess how we got here.  

I'm still trying to figure out what you are upset about. 

are you upset that this went from a potential of millions dying to 1/20th of that and our hospital system is in good shape?

are you upset that we shutdown for 2 months and 36M people are out of work?

• Like 4

I don't know what he and his ilk are upset about either.  When this virus kills, it is by and large old people (whom they hate unless they are their parents) and the ones with pre-existing conditions (whom they hate unless they are their parents).  You'd think they'd be cheering for the virus.

Edited by Hate
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

I don't know what he and his ilk are upset about either.  When this virus kills, it is by and large old people (whom they hate unless they are their parents) and the ones with pre-existing conditions (whom they hate unless they are their parents).  You'd think they'd be cheering for the virus.

username checks out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My mom is high risk, she has the lung disease that killed Bernie Mac and she’s pushing 70.  If she gets this virus, she dies.  I imagine there are many folks that have loved ones in similar situations and we really don’t want to say goodbye to them just yet because people need to get their drink on at the Sizzler. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

This is a little CR.  I think that there are a few people who are upset that this didn't bring about the "liberal enlightening" that they were hoping for.  

I hate CR.  This virus is not political and I hate the fuckers who try to make it that way.  There is a way forward and if the partisans would (or could) set their views aside, we might find our way through and out of a destroyed economy and a health crisis. I have little hope of that because the 15% on both sides can't seem to do that.  They would rather point and make fun of the other side.

• Like 5

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

My mom is high risk, she has the lung disease that killed Bernie Mac and she’s pushing 70.  If she gets this virus, she dies.  I imagine there are many folks that have loved ones in similar situations and we really don’t want to say good by to them just yet because people need to get their drink on at the Sizzler. 

sorry to hear that Hugo, even if you are coonass...that said,  she needs to stay inside.  people getting their drink on at sizzler can't hurt her.  this will be here until there is a vax.

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

My mom is high risk, she has the lung disease that killed Bernie Mac and she’s pushing 70.  If she gets this virus, she dies.  I imagine there are many folks that have loved ones in similar situations and we really don’t want to say goodbye to them just yet because people need to get their drink on at the Sizzler. 

People need to feed their families. Your mother needs to stay home and hopefully you’re in a position to support her for however long this lasts.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

My mother also has pre-existing conditions.  She is a diabetic, former 50 year smoker (still vapes), and over 70.  She is in horrible shape.  That said, she should stay at home and not go out.  The rest of the world should keep on spinning. 

Edited by Hate
  • Like 5

Y’all don’t know how this virus works.  You think all those dead C19 folks in nursing homes were out and about on the town? 

You don’t see how I or people that take care of her are a vector for her getting it? 

There is no shortage of money in this country to feed people. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

This is a little CR.  I think that there are a few people who are upset that this didn't bring about the "liberal enlightening" that they were hoping for.  

I hate CR.  This virus is not political and I hate the fuckers who try to make it that way.  There is a way forward and if the partisans would (or could) set their views aside, we might find our way through and out of a destroyed economy and a health crisis. I have little hope of that because the 15% on both sides can't seem to do that.  They would rather point and make fun of the other side.

we are trying to thread the needle. why? because sans SKorea no largish country is stopping this virus in its tracks.  IMO, an earlier lockdown would not have helped and would have crippled us completely.  we had to have the lockdown be just prior and just after a predicted peak of deaths so we could get out of it as quickly as possible.  If we lock in late Feb/Early march we can't come out until deaths start to flatten.  the die was somewhat cast on the death curve at that point. again IMO.  Its time to move and more will die, unfortunately. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away