Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Truly great to see the “OMG the economy” people of a certain stripe are all wide awake and posting together. Very cute and not coordinated! 

We all called each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Truly great to see the “OMG the economy” people of a certain stripe are all wide awake and posting together. Very cute and not coordinated! 

you should pick up an move to California(If you aren't already there).  They will be shut until a vaccine.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

sorry to hear that Hugo, even if you are coonass...that said,  she needs to stay inside.  people getting their drink on at sizzler can't hurt her.  this will be here until there is a vax.

Fuck the Sizzler. It died when the one in Memorial City Mall died. Then Memorial City Mall died. That was a long time ago.

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we are trying to thread the needle. why? because sans SKorea no largish country is stopping this virus in its tracks.  IMO, an earlier lockdown would not have helped and would have crippled us completely.  we had to have the lockdown be just prior and just after a predicted peak of deaths so we could get out of it as quickly as possible.  If we lock in late Feb/Early march we can't come out until deaths start to flatten.  the die was somewhat cast on the death curve at that point. again IMO.  Its time to move and more will die, unfortunately. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-coronavirus-south-korea-outbreaks-fears-second-wave-infections/

Tokyo — Fears of a second surge of coronavirus infections are forcing early-hit countries to rethink plans for re-opening as new cases come to light. China is now testing millions of people to catch new infections. South Korea has dispatched several thousand police officers in a renewed push for contact tracing.  

Russia, meanwhile, is still facing its first wave. With more than 10,000 new cases reported each day, the country has the second-highest number of confirmed infections in the world, trailing only the U.S.  

The city where it all started, Wuhan, China, is on alert again. Over the next 10 days, authorities in China's coronavirus epicenter are testing every one of its 11 million residents after six new coronavirus cases were reported over the weekend.

Those were the first positive tests in Wuhan in 35 days, since the city celebrated the lifting of a 76-day lockdown on April 8.

In neighboring South Korea, authorities in the capital city of Seoul have ordered more than 2,000 clubs and bars to close again after a new cluster of more than 100 COVID-19 cases was traced to the popular entertainment district of Itaewon.

A gay man in his 20's, who later tested positive for the virus, is believed to have visited several clubs there.

Workers spray disinfectant in front of a nightclub in the Itaewon neighborhood in Seoul, South Korea, May 12, 2020. YONHAP/REUTERS

More than 8,000 police have reportedly been deployed in Seoul to trace almost 11,000 people who were in the area, using mobile phone data and credit card transactions.

"If the government of Korea hadn't done this, then there would be 119 people out there infecting other people. So that actually gets to the point of tracing people," explained Dr. Jerome Kim, a leading epidemiologist in the country. 

In Russia, meanwhile, there's been more tragedy on top of the still-mounting infections. A fire at a hospital in St. Petersburg killed at least four coronavirus patients this week — the second deadly blaze in just four days linked preliminarily to ventilator machines.

The pandemic has also hit close to President Vladimir Putin again: his spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov, has been hospitalized for treatment — the latest in a series of high-ranking officials close to the Russian leader to catch the virus.  

And the pandemic has now hit close to President Vladimir Putin: His spokesperson Dmitry Peskov has been  with the coronavirus. Peskov's wife has also contracted the virus.

In Japan, meanwhile, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says the country is on a "steady" path to ending its epidemic. His government may lift the national state of emergency for much of the country as soon as Thursday — more than two weeks earlier than the current May 31 expiry date.

Tokyo, however, may remain under the emergency declaration. The capital has been hit the hardest by the pandemic, with nearly one out of three infections in Japan recorded in the city.

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Y’all don’t know how this virus works.  You think all those dead C19 folks in nursing homes were out and about on the town? 

You don’t see how I or people that take care of her are a vector for her getting it? 

There is no shortage of money in this country to feed people. 

Here's Hugo he can vulcan mind meld with the virus!

people need rent, utilities, and cell phones too!

and they get it because state officials send covid positive patients to nursing homes...

Edited by dcar00

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t know what to say.  I support all kinds of policies that would alleviate a lot of pain but I can’t talk about that in this thread without getting banned.  Just gonna have to pull up them bootstraps and hope for the best with thoughts and prayers.  Free market will fix!  I’m drunk AF. 

Yeah, not sure that's the reason you're spewing this Line of drivel.  Bootstraps ?  WTF does that even mean ?    Bootstraps !!! Jesus Christ !!!! 

Y’all don’t know how this virus works.  You think all those dead C19 folks in nursing homes were out and about on the town? 

You don’t see how I or people that take care of her are a vector for her getting it? 

There is no shortage of money in this country to feed people. 

Just sitting here staring in utter disbelief at this post from Hugo.  "there's Plenty of money to feed people".  Is there now ?  For how long ?  

Edited by Onboard 2.0

On 5/14/2020 at 10:34 AM, Dr. Beeper said:

He’s not breaking any rules, but everyone knows why he’s posting this data.  His presence on this forum is toxic. The messenger matters. There is zero point in discussing any facts off of one of his posts in this forum. Shocking you’ve got 9 pos rep points from this post and strong suspect the typical cabal contributed to that. 

Good God what a pussy you are.  Snowflake level:  Elite

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

This is a little CR.  I think that there are a few people who are upset that this didn't bring about the "liberal enlightening" that they were hoping for.  
I hate CR.  This virus is not political and I hate the fuckers who try to make it that way.  There is a way forward and if the partisans would (or could) set their views aside, we might find our way through and out of a destroyed economy and a health crisis. I have little hope of that because the 15% on both sides can't seem to do that.  They would rather point and make fun of the other side.
I hate the CR so much that I'm going to make the most political post this thread has seen in days!
No politics guys!
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Speaking of not being able to feed families:

Everyone in Houston is probably aware of the massive lines of cars and people trying to get food from food drives, but just FYI the Houston Food bank could really use more volunteers.  They are going through 10x the food daily that they normally go through which gives you an idea of how many people are hurting. 

Edited by Enchubben

6 hours ago, Bevo said:

Fuck the Sizzler. It died when the one in Memorial City Mall died. Then Memorial City Mall died. That was a long time ago.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-coronavirus-south-korea-outbreaks-fears-second-wave-infections/

Tokyo — Fears of a second surge of coronavirus infections are forcing early-hit countries to rethink plans for re-opening as new cases come to light. China is now testing millions of people to catch new infections. South Korea has dispatched several thousand police officers in a renewed push for contact tracing.  

Russia, meanwhile, is still facing its first wave. With more than 10,000 new cases reported each day, the country has the second-highest number of confirmed infections in the world, trailing only the U.S.  

The city where it all started, Wuhan, China, is on alert again. Over the next 10 days, authorities in China's coronavirus epicenter are testing every one of its 11 million residents after six new coronavirus cases were reported over the weekend.

Those were the first positive tests in Wuhan in 35 days, since the city celebrated the lifting of a 76-day lockdown on April 8.

In neighboring South Korea, authorities in the capital city of Seoul have ordered more than 2,000 clubs and bars to close again after a new cluster of more than 100 COVID-19 cases was traced to the popular entertainment district of Itaewon.

A gay man in his 20's, who later tested positive for the virus, is believed to have visited several clubs there.

Workers spray disinfectant in front of a nightclub in the Itaewon neighborhood in Seoul, South Korea, May 12, 2020. YONHAP/REUTERS

More than 8,000 police have reportedly been deployed in Seoul to trace almost 11,000 people who were in the area, using mobile phone data and credit card transactions.

"If the government of Korea hadn't done this, then there would be 119 people out there infecting other people. So that actually gets to the point of tracing people," explained Dr. Jerome Kim, a leading epidemiologist in the country. 

In Russia, meanwhile, there's been more tragedy on top of the still-mounting infections. A fire at a hospital in St. Petersburg killed at least four coronavirus patients this week — the second deadly blaze in just four days linked preliminarily to ventilator machines.

The pandemic has also hit close to President Vladimir Putin again: his spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov, has been hospitalized for treatment — the latest in a series of high-ranking officials close to the Russian leader to catch the virus.  

And the pandemic has now hit close to President Vladimir Putin: His spokesperson Dmitry Peskov has been  with the coronavirus. Peskov's wife has also contracted the virus.

In Japan, meanwhile, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says the country is on a "steady" path to ending its epidemic. His government may lift the national state of emergency for much of the country as soon as Thursday — more than two weeks earlier than the current May 31 expiry date.

Tokyo, however, may remain under the emergency declaration. The capital has been hit the hardest by the pandemic, with nearly one out of three infections in Japan recorded in the city.

This is real value add

10 hours ago, stork642 said:

He is OK with the destruction just as long as said destruction can be blamed on Covid19.  He doesn’t want to acknowledge the greater destruction caused by the shutdown.  Some people just enjoy watching the world burn.  

I disagree. While I cannot speak for another, one can acknowledge both have caused irreparable harm in one form or another. If one looks at the various dashboards, it is apparent at how it travels the supply chains of America. Even rural America with many towns populated by  elderly were going to be in a tight spot. Lack of access to healthcare to treat this type of infection and then, if the regular elderly customers to the diner stay home and secluded: no business. If they come in and get sick and have to be hospitalized: no business. Word gets out that people are getting sick at the diner: no business. Really, it is the larger companies that probably survive because they have the resources to weather this.It was going to be difficult, regardless.

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

As long as your local and surrounding areas are prepared to rapidly respond to an outbreak, I think it would be a manageable risk.  

-------

How the population behaves will determine the likelihood of localized outbreaks and their intensity.  This is an unknown variable but if everyone goes back to normal all at once, it’s reasonable to assume an outbreak will happen sooner then later.

A gradual, methodical approach with supportive isolation for the vulnerable would certainly help get things running and give consumers confidence, IMO. I have been appreciative of our local health clinic. They resumed regular services back in April and are being very proactive about their guidelines.

7 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Shit is really really bad.  People want some easy explanation, someone easy to blame, and some magic bullet to fix it.  The thing is, shit was really bad before this but people didn’t give a fuck or care to notice until it affected them and now they’re really upset that not enough people care.  Some of us have been upset for a while and we’ve been mocked and dismissed for being upset.  No one wants this situation but perhaps we should be looking to minimize future damage and working to make sure these things don’t hurt so much when they happen again, because they will happen again if people don’t properly assess how we got here.  

I'm not sure why folks negged this post. And no, I am not a Hugo sock, before someone thinks so. Without getting too political, this pandemic simply made the precarious position that many citizens have been living with for years more wide spread and creep upward. Wage stagnation and jobs with little or no benefits means that people suffer long term economic harm and many have been in this situation long before the pandemic struck. Two separate issues: workforce and pandemic preparedness and yet they are related due to even more issues. Time to set aside differences and have a frank discussion or kick the can down the road once more.

This thread really has become unbearable, some of y’all need to take an internet break, jerk off to Fox News or Slate, and pound some whiskey.  

Hugo needs to be banned from this thread..:not necessarily just because of him per se, but of the constant churn and discord he brings via both his high frequency posting and the shit he stirs with a collection of people from a certain political lean...intentionally or not.  Why the hell don’t y’all put him on ignore?

Shut the fuck up about CR ya fucking babies.  I swear the constant whining comes from people who either posted there frequently or got shouted down.  Yes the prevailing mood right there is a left-leaning echo chamber, get over it, if it hurts your giant penis then go browse old threads at TOS...when I first joined Shaggy it was a right win echo chamber about buttery males, pizza gate and all that shit...I didn’t let it hurt my giant penis, it’s giant so it’s got nothing to prove.  Someone posts something vaguely political, just ignore it and don’t get all HOA Karen on us.  

This thread was interesting and a good source of information until recently...and now the BD thread for people banned from THIS thread is becoming a fucking wasteland as well.  Some of y’all have lost your damn minds...put Hugo and those that constantly whine/engage him locked in the BD thread, and let the rest of us engage like fucking adults ya fucks.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

About the Memorial City Sizzler? Agree.

Last Sizzler I went to was on the SW freeway, right before you got to the tollway.  We ended up there for an early dinner when I was a kid.  We watched one of the drunkest women I'd ever seen to that point (I was a kid....I've seen drunker since) stumble her way around loading up at the salad bar.  Then we watched her leave and get into a yellow Chevy Citation.  Again, this was back in the day when folks weren't as up in arms about DWI -- today, I imagine management or even the rest of the patrons would have stopped her.

We finished eating a few minutes later, left the restaurant, got on the access road, and saw her car upside down in the ditch about 200 yards ahead.  So, in my mind, Sizzler will always be a restaurant suitable for eating at while shitfaced, then crashing your car.

I don't think I'm wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Last Sizzler I went to was on the SW freeway, right before you got to the tollway.  We ended up there for an early dinner when I was a kid.  We watched one of the drunkest women I'd ever seen to that point (I was a kid....I've seen drunker since) stumble her way around loading up at the salad bar.  Then we watched her leave and get into a yellow Chevy Citation.  Again, this was back in the day when folks weren't as up in arms about DWI -- today, I imagine management or even the rest of the patrons would have stopped her.

We finished eating a few minutes later, left the restaurant, got on the access road, and saw her car upside down in the ditch about 200 yards ahead.  So, in my mind, Sizzler will always be a restaurant suitable for eating at while shitfaced, then crashing your car.

I don't think I'm wrong.

That is a fine description of Sizzler, but then it leaves me without a good way to describe Pancho's.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't think I'm wrong.

That’s how you get a Michelin star.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Oh this is rich coming from you.   The entire pandemic you've been making CR-implied or worse posts that (just coincidentally, I'm sure...) all seem to point the blame in one direction.  But I don't recall you posting on this thread about the scandal of certain states forcing nursing homes to take in COVID-19 patients.  Hmmm, I wonder why...

Most wouldn't have a problem with your posts and legitimate criticism on this thread if it wasn't so blindingly one-sided and agenda driven.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/11/nursing-homes-us-data-coronavirus

Privately compiled data shows such deaths now account for more than half of all fatalities in 14 states, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. Only 33 states report nursing home-related deaths.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/20/832034662/discharging-covid-19-patients-to-nursing-homes-called-a-recipe-for-disaster

...Nonetheless, some of the largest states are now ordering nursing homes to accept patients who have been discharged from the hospital but are still recovering from COVID-19.

These state directives have been strongly condemned by the Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine. Dr. Sabine von Preyss, chief medical officer for Avalon Health Care Group and president of the society's Washington state chapter, says that a distinction must be made between nursing homes that have suffered COVID-19 outbreaks and those that are still virus-free.

"The question is, should we be forced to introduce a disease with such deadly potential into a population that has been sheltered?" says von Preyss. "And my experience tells me that would be ill-advised."

Also, it won't even help overcrowded hospitals, says Dr. Michael Wasserman, who heads the California Association of Long Term Care Medicine.

"If you push folks out of the hospitals to make space and you push them into nursing homes a couple weeks later," Wasserman says, "for every one of those you send to the nursing home, you may get 20 back in the hospital."

New York and New Jersey both have ordered nursing homes to admit patients regardless of their COVID-19 status. California had a similar directive. And then suddenly, as of March 30, it didn't. After a couple of days of outcry from the medical community, the state softened its instruction.

It now says that a nursing home "can be expected" to receive residents who test positive for the virus if it is able to follow the infection control guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Tony Chicotel, a staff attorney with California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform, isn't satisfied with the change. That's because the state let stand the emergency waivers that allow nursing homes to temporarily expand capacity and reduce staff.

"We're going to have, potentially, a lot more residents crammed into nursing homes," says Chicotel. "You're going to cut the staffing minimums at the same time. And then you're going to introduce perhaps the most efficient killer of older adults into the building? You've got a recipe for disaster in nursing homes."

Despite requests from NPR, neither New York nor California officials made themselves available for interviews to discuss the policies....

https://nypost.com/2020/04/24/new-york-nursing-home-denied-requests-to-send-covid-19-patients-to-usns-comfort/

...Cobble Hill Health Center CEO Donny Tuchman sent a desperate email to state Health Department officials on April 9, asking if there was “a way for us to send our suspected covid patients” to the hospital built inside the Javits Convention Center or the US Naval hospital ship Comfort — the under-utilized federal medical facilities on Manhattan’s West Side.

“We don’t have the ability to cohort right now based on staffing and we really want to protect our other patients,” Tuchman wrote in a chain of the emails reviewed by The Post.

He was denied.

“I was told those facilities were only for hospitals” to send their overflow patients, Tuchman said.

At the time Tuchman sent his plea, only 134 of the 1,000 beds at the Javits Center were full and the Comfort — which had just been reconfigured to treat up to 500 COVID-19 patients — had a mere 62 on board.

Adding insult to injury, the Navy hospital ship wound up treating just 179 patients before Gov. Cuomo on Tuesday said it was no longer needed.

The Comfort remained docked at Pier 90 with 29 patients on board Friday but was expected to return to its homeport in Norfolk, Virginia, as soon as possible...

...Under a controversial March 25 order, the Health Department barred nursing homes from refusing admission to “medically stable” coronavirus patients....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

This thread really has become unbearable, some of y’all need to take an internet break, jerk off to Fox News or Slate, and pound some whiskey.  

Hugo needs to be banned from this thread..:not necessarily just because of him per se, but of the constant churn and discord he brings via both his high frequency posting and the shit he stirs with a collection of people from a certain political lean...intentionally or not.  Why the hell don’t y’all put him on ignore?

Shut the fuck up about CR ya fucking babies.  I swear the constant whining comes from people who either posted there frequently or got shouted down.  Yes the prevailing mood right there is a left-leaning echo chamber, get over it, if it hurts your giant penis then go browse old threads at TOS...when I first joined Shaggy it was a right win echo chamber about buttery males, pizza gate and all that shit...I didn’t let it hurt my giant penis, it’s giant so it’s got nothing to prove.  Someone posts something vaguely political, just ignore it and don’t get all HOA Karen on us.  

This thread was interesting and a good source of information until recently...and now the BD thread for people banned from THIS thread is becoming a fucking wasteland as well.  Some of y’all have lost your damn minds...put Hugo and those that constantly whine/engage him locked in the BD thread, and let the rest of us engage like fucking adults ya fucks.  

a couple things: 

1. You're more than welcome to not read the posts.

2.  Hugo is doing a good job of playing the I'm not touching you I'm not touching you game. 

3.  Political lean ?  yeah there probably is, the funny thing is that group can talk about the topic without making politics the central issue. Hugo, and the rest of the Cabal see everything as a political topic, and want to play the blame game for the pandemics handling, but can't understand why anyone would want to know the origins of the virus.

4.  There's more, but Im in the middle of laying luxury vinyl tile (oooooh.......ahhhhhhhhh), and ain't got time for more of this shit.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Good god! WTF were those dumbshits thinking?

Thinking they're just SS recipients without jobs... let's cut some dead wood ?  YES THAT'S SARCASM, but there are those posters here who gleefully, and constantly rail against the "olds' .

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That is a fine description of Sizzler, but then it leaves me without a good way to describe Pancho's.

Pancho’s was a place parents could take a herd of young kids who wanted to compete on how many items they could eat in a sitting.   You scored 1 pt for a taco, flauta, enchilada, etc, and 1/2 pt for rice/beans.   High score...”wins”?

• Like 1

My back of the napkin math suggests that the current Covid death totals will be roughly doubled up if the economic shutdown induced suicides, domestic abuse deaths, new addictions, inadvertent pegging fetish admissions etc hits .0005% of the population.

Seems like the logical conclusion is to act in such a a way to drive those two numbers toward an intersecting low point. And that’s not going to happen if we keep this thing quasi shutdown for another 6-18 months. 

• Like 3

My back of the napkin math suggests that the current Covid death totals will be roughly doubled up if the economic shutdown induced suicides, domestic abuse deaths, new addictions, inadvertent pegging fetish admissions etc hits .0005% of the population.
Seems like the logical conclusion is to act in such a a way to drive those two numbers toward an intersecting low point. And that’s not going to happen if we keep this thing quasi shutdown for another 6-18 months. 

94ded38e277955ddcad3ecc6cc508b17.jpg
I got this number trying to find out the % of people who’ve died from pegging. Doesn’t look good

To go back on topic, here's a good editorial thought published by WAPO.  If our goal is to keep the transmission rate very low -- low enough to have public confidence in economic activity high enough so that economic activity gets to a workable level, there's a way.  It requires some money (but sweet lord, compared to what we've already spent, and what this has cost us....), and it requires some consistent leadership (so, I won't go CR), but it's doable: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/we-could-stop-the-pandemic-by-july-4-if-the-government-took-these-steps/2020/05/15/9e527370-954f-11ea-9f5e-56d8239bf9ad_story.html?fbclid=IwAR0aqf6ov6wMPutlXTdY12EdsXGLdUlCw3RlxaeAM7i0Ne-CXCZRkrVR0gA&utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

The economy consists of people who have hopes and fears. As long as they are afraid of a lethal virus, they will avoid restaurants, travel and workplaces. (According to a Washington Post-Ipsos poll last week, only 25 percent of all Americans want to “open businesses and get the economy going again, even if that means more people will get the coronavirus.”) The only way to restore the economy is to earn the confidence of both vulnerable industries and vulnerable people through testing, contact tracing and isolation.

I mean, lots of us have agreed with just that approach for weeks now.  And it seems that it isn't going to happen.  But we can dream, right?

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Pancho’s was a place parents could take a herd of young kids who wanted to compete on how many items they could eat in a sitting.   You scored 1 pt for a taco, flauta, enchilada, etc, and 1/2 pt for rice/beans.   High score...”wins”?

Diabetes wins

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Your story has become tiresome 

Irresponsible treatment of nursing homes and extended care facilities through force of local government causing the largest percentages of deaths in the country shouldn’t be ignored. Especially when constantly searching for blame....

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Irresponsible treatment of nursing homes and extended care facilities through force of local government causing the largest percentages of deaths in the country shouldn’t be ignored. Especially when constantly searching for blame....

Nobody is ignoring it, genius,  that's the point. Try to keep up.

Hasn't that project been "ongoing" for 20+ years already?  Not like they need an excuse to clear out and take a day off.
Yeah it was news to me that anything was being worked on there in the first place. Always looks like they just tore it up and left.

10 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Every time I deal with groceries and prescriptions for our neighbor or in-laws, I’m spending a good 20 minutes or so wiping down groceries.  Don’t know how much it helps, but it makes everybody feel better.   During that time, I can think about nothing but how I could be a vector.   My kids can’t visit their grandparents, and there’s a chance one of their older relatives will die without them getting a proper goodbye.

So yes, I do see it.  Because I am the main contact for three elderly folks with the outside world.  

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away