Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

On a local to me note for comparison, Lancaster Co. Nebraska, where Lincoln is went from 300 positives last week to 188 this week, with 172 two weeks ago. The positive rate dropped from 14% to 7% this week from the two weeks before. The 11th was the first day of reopening here. That being said there’s been some fuckery with the packing plant outbreaks, just across the county line at the Smithfield plant in Crete, and the satellite ham plant in Lincoln 

28 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

On a local to me note for comparison, Lancaster Co. Nebraska, where Lincoln is went from 300 positives last week to 188 this week, with 172 two weeks ago. The positive rate dropped from 14% to 7% this week from the two weeks before. The 11th was the first day of reopening here. That being said there’s been some fuckery with the packing plant outbreaks, just across the county line at the Smithfield plant in Crete, and the satellite ham plant in Lincoln 

This is how I picture you:

comments.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

No no no, you can't say "minus the hat." The hat's the most important part.  :)

I come from a line of dairymen and hog guys for the most part, the hat habit doesn’t get formed that way, although exceptions were made for driving around in Firebirds 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I come from a line of dairymen and hog guys for the most part, the hat habit doesn’t get formed that way, although exceptions were made for driving around in Firebirds 

Well then I'm going to just assume you spend a lot of time driving around in Firebirds.  Because that's pretty kick-ass all on its own.

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If I was the airlines, I'd be raising hell about this, because there's no way they can get people back to anything resembling normal if the airports are this bad.

It's almost as if the airlines should do their own screening

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Well then I'm going to just assume you spend a lot of time driving around in Firebirds.  Because that's pretty kick-ass all on its own.

It was more my dad’s thing but you still have to trot it out from time to time

Alert: Not peer-reviewed research

I am not posting this because I believe it. I accept the conventional narrative that the virus is natural and am persuaded by the evidence offered here to that effect. But this guy is a legit scientist. Not a quack or someone whose area of expertise is tangential. His name is Nikolai Petrovsky and if you look him up you will find he is heading up research into a coronavirus vaccine in Australia. https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-04/fu-cio040220.php

In any case, he says the virus doesn’t appear to have come from pangolins or bats. Instead, it seems “exquisitely adapted to infect humans.” Needless to say, his work has received considerable pushback. 
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-covid-mystery.html
From the article:
In a quest to find a vaccine or drug treatment for COVID-19, high-performance computer modeling has been used by Australian scientists to study the virus's ability to target a variety of 12 exotic and domestic animals in the hope of identifying the original source of the virus… The study, led by Flinders University scientists, compared the modeling to the virus's ability to bind to human cells and found the SARS-CoV-2 virus targets humans more potently than any of the tested animal species.

• Like 1

So over this shit. Good or bad we are basically going to deal with this until it infects everyone or we get a vaccine. Better treatment helps of course.

in the meantime I can continue to live my life like I always have - expect the worst out of other people and make my decisions based on what I’m comfortable with. This isn’t new.

A little personal responsibility goes along way.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 3

I randomly listened to Rogan’s podcast and he said (or his guest, can’t remember) that the average age of death from Covid is 81, which is actually older than the current life expectancy in our country. Is this true? These days I don’t believe anyone. 

Don't know if that's the average age covid death. US life expectancy at birth is lower than that. Life expectancy for an 80 year old is about nine years though, so the point's a little disengenuious.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

I don’t know how often, or if only by request, screeners are tested, but to put this in perspective there are 47,000 TSA screeners.  Google says total employees are 54,000ish.   The reported illnesses include all employees.

So for a workforce taking precautions, but also heavily interacting with the public, we have 570 confirmed cases (google), 6 deaths and 359 recovered.   The 6 deaths is about 1% of reported infected.   The infected number is likely higher as some were asymptomatic, but I Would guess they have increased screening and testing so the uncounted positives would likely be lower in this group.  So it looks like the deaths per infection is higher than the general population that we are currently reporting.

Rough numbers from a heavily screened group show over 1% infection rate which is likely closer to actual due to testing/checking than Total confirmed US numbers, but they are also in a heavily exposed profession.

I don’t see these numbers as “Oh no!  Shut it down!” Type of results, but I’m sure there are other perspectives.  Interesting to me to see it in context.

• Like 2

Was just watching Bayern Munich play versus Union Berlin live right now. The only people in the stands are players, coaches, and stadium personel. The players and coaches in the stands are all socially distanced and wearing masks. Yeah I'm sure we can make that work in college football. Eerie seeing this though. Was just flipping through the sports channels and saw the word 'Live' (hadn't seen that in a while) and had to investigate. Soccer's not really my game though, but this gives a glimmer of the near future.

Edited by ouflak

24 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Was just watching Bayern Munich play versus Union Berlin live right now. The only people in the stands are players, coaches, and stadium personel. The players and coaches in the stands are all socially distanced and wearing masks. Yeah I'm sure we can make that work in college football. Eerie seeing this though. Was just flipping through the sports channels and saw the word 'Live' (hadn't seen that in a while) and had to investigate. Soccer's not really my game though, but this gives a glimmer of the near future.

My understanding is that the players were required to quarantine for the 7 days preceding the game. That could make college football difficult to pull off, but yes, it is a glimmer of hope for the future.

US sailors testing positive again after already having had the virus, and then testing negative twice after

good lord
A friend of mine had it back in early March. He had moderate symptoms but his wife had to be hospitalized for 2 weeks. He feels fine now, but they still test him every week. He is still testing positive every week. Something like 7 or 8 weeks straight now.

This is one weird fucking virus.

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

A friend of mine had it back in early March. He had moderate symptoms but his wife had to be hospitalized for 2 weeks. He feels fine now, but they still test him every week. He is still testing positive every week. Something like 7 or 8 weeks straight now.

I wonder how much of it is “this is a weird fucking virus” and how much is “we are testing this in ways we don’t test anything else”?

I assume most people are like me and when you get the flu you are told “you can go back to life 48 hours after being symptom free, and then never have another test again because when you start feeling better you are over it. Has anyone had a flu text after being healthy? Weeks after being healthy?  Is such a thing done 

I imagine that one of the things that comes out of this is a larger understanding of how virus works and trying to find a cure for it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Foosters said:

My understanding is that the players were required to quarantine for the 7 days preceding the game. That could make college football difficult to pull off, but yes, it is a glimmer of hope for the future.

I don’t see how any of this is practice in having to isolate everyone over the course of an entire season over the hopes that nobody gets sick, and if people get sick we have to shut down for a couple weeks at a time. 

I assume the only way we will be able to play sports again (or at least sports other than golf without the need for locker rooms or close quarter contact) is when we (leagues, fans, population) collectively decide fuck it, let the chips fall where they may, and don’t test/worry about it. 

Because if the charge is to keep thousands/tens of thousands of people virus free that seems like a fools errand to me. 

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

I don’t know how often, or if only by request, screeners are tested, but to put this in perspective there are 47,000 TSA screeners.  Google says total employees are 54,000ish.   The reported illnesses include all employees.

So for a workforce taking precautions, but also heavily interacting with the public, we have 570 confirmed cases (google), 6 deaths and 359 recovered.   The 6 deaths is about 1% of reported infected.   The infected number is likely higher as some were asymptomatic, but I Would guess they have increased screening and testing so the uncounted positives would likely be lower in this group.  So it looks like the deaths per infection is higher than the general population that we are currently reporting.

Rough numbers from a heavily screened group show over 1% infection rate which is likely closer to actual due to testing/checking than Total confirmed US numbers, but they are also in a heavily exposed profession.

I don’t see these numbers as “Oh no!  Shut it down!” Type of results, but I’m sure there are other perspectives.  Interesting to me to see it in context.

Also, have you seen those people?  I think having an underlying condition is a job requirement for the TSA.  Actually surprised the deaths weren't higher.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Can’t remember were I saw it but article was talking about SK people that had retested positive. Any after much investigation they found the positive test was due to dead parts of the virus still being in blood. 

• Like 1

I don’t see how any of this is practice in having to isolate everyone over the course of an entire season over the hopes that nobody gets sick, and if people get sick we have to shut down for a couple weeks at a time. 
I assume the only way we will be able to play sports again (or at least sports other than golf without the need for locker rooms or close quarter contact) is when we (leagues, fans, population) collectively decide fuck it, let the chips fall where they may, and don’t test/worry about it. 
Because if the charge is to keep thousands/tens of thousands of people virus free that seems like a fools errand to me. 

Between now and kick off there’ll be a shit of new antibody carriers as things open so the spread from having a packed stadium should be minimal. Those incomparable wouldn’t be going to games anyways.

I still wouldn’t be shocked to see it moved back a month or 2...but billions and countless of depts. would be at stake without football revenue.

Like someone said in the football thread..how many college players are going to end up getting it between now and kick off?

3 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Can’t remember were I saw it but article was talking about SK people that had retested positive. Any after much investigation they found the positive test was due to dead parts of the virus still being in blood. 

That sounds right, but in this particular discussion the reason some of the sailors were tested twice is they started experiencing symptoms again. 

3 hours ago, ABSR said:

The thing with the TSA screeners, is how much activity/interaction with the general public has there been since civilian air travel started really dropping back in March or early April?  

Yesterday, Texas had it's biggest day yet.  This has got to be due to increasing screening, right?  And the prison population now being heavily screened (they are working on all inmates as of this past week).

Edit: 700+ new cases in the Amarillo area, so the plants, plus more tests.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/16/coronavirus-updates-texas/

Potter County reported 618 new cases on Saturday bringing its total to 2,080, while neighboring Randall County reported 116 new cases for a total of 593. Moore County, which has the highest rate of cases per 1,000 residents in Texas, added 4 new cases on Saturday. In total, the three counties accounted for 738 of the new cases reported on Saturday.

The state also reported 32,479 new tests Saturday — the third-highest increase since Texas began reporting coronavirus test counts.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Those of you who were tested, or feeling the need to be tested, watch your cornhole and be ready to dispute the bill.  Sounds like the system is being improved, but given the lag with bills, some are learning just now what they are.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/13/texans-coronavirus-test-bills/

The symptoms hit Pamela Shaw in mid-March. She was coughing and couldn’t get enough air. She felt achy. It was unlike any cold or flu she had ever experienced.

Worried, she called a hospital hotline to see if she could get tested for the new coronavirus, and the woman who answered the phone insisted she call an ambulance and go to the emergency room.

All Shaw wanted was a coronavirus test. Instead, she got a battery of screenings to rule it out, she said — and later a bill for at least $1,440.

“It would have been so easy just to give me a test right then,” said Shaw, 61, an Elgin resident. “I was there. I was having symptoms.”

With a nationwide shortage of test supplies, clinicians have been encouraged to rule out illnesses, like the flu, before testing for the coronavirus.

That’s what happened to Shaw.

When she arrived at St. David’s hospital in North Austin on March 17, she was whisked into the emergency room, where she got a flu test, an X-ray of her lungs and an electrocardiogram, or EKG, to check her heart, she said. Her test came back negative and her scans were normal, but the doctor told her she couldn’t get a coronavirus test and discharged her with several prescriptions, she said. Shaw spent the next 10 days recovering and wondering what a coronavirus test would have shown.

She received one bill for physician services that says she owes $1,370 for the emergency department visit and $72 for the EKG. Her online claims show the ambulance and medical facility, both in network, charged $2,736 and $10,583, respectively; the insurance plan paid $982 and $173, and she may owe $246 and $2,458.

“The whole uncertainty of it is stressful,” Shaw said. “I mean there’s already enough stress.”

Contacted by a Texas Tribune reporter for comment, UnitedHealthcare, Shaw’s insurance company, said it would be “reprocessing these COVID-19 related claims under her plan” based on changes it made in March, which include “retroactively waiving cost share back to early 2020.”

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

Yesterday, Texas had it's biggest day yet.  This has got to be due to increasing screening, right?  And the prison population now being heavily screened (they are working on all inmates as of this past week).
Edit: 700+ new cases in the Amarillo area, so the plants, plus more tests.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/16/coronavirus-updates-texas/
Potter County reported 618 new cases on Saturday bringing its total to 2,080, while neighboring Randall County reported 116 new cases for a total of 593. Moore County, which has the highest rate of cases per 1,000 residents in Texas, added 4 new cases on Saturday. In total, the three counties accounted for 738 of the new cases reported on Saturday.
The state also reported 32,479 new tests Saturday — the third-highest increase since Texas began reporting coronavirus test counts.

Interesting, and it raises a question as to our statewide “performance.” We know that different populations and densities can transmit the virus at different rates. And I wonder how much of our “daily cases” number is from prisons and the meat plants. That is, NOT ordinary social interaction. Leading me to ask, how many of our cases are ordinary social transmission, which is what 99% of us need to worry about. I’m not going to work in a meat plant. I’m not going to prison (unless they catch me). If we’re diagnosing 1,000 cases a day, but 400 of them are in those places, that’s relevant. I don’t know what the breakdown is, but I’d like to.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The thing with the TSA screeners, is how much activity/interaction with the general public has there been since civilian air travel started really dropping back in March or early April?  

Believe they are seeing 10% of normal traffic...

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away