Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just got the word from our local little league talking about starting practices back up 5/31 and games 6/15.  Supposedly more details in a few days, but zero mention of what precautions they might take.  Just the standard line of "the governor said we could."

Wife has a compromised immune system from chemo several years ago.  And with the propensity of 11 year olds to touch their faces (especially during the summer), I can't see how risk can be minimized while these kids are throwing a ball back and forth or packing onto a dugout bench.

Kiddo said he'd play, but no big if we decided otherwise.  Hate the thought of pulling him because it's his first season.  But that's the last factor on the list.

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Edited by dcbc

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Just got the word from our local little league talking about starting practices back up 5/31 and games 6/15.  Supposedly more details in a few days, but zero mention of what precautions they might take.  Just the standard line of "the governor said we could."

Wife has a compromised immune system from chemo several years ago.  And with the propensity of 11 year olds to touch their faces (especially during the summer), I can't see how risk can be minimized while these kids are throwing a ball back and forth or packing onto a dugout bench.

Kiddo said he'd play, but no big if we decided otherwise.  Hate the thought of pulling him because it's his first season.  But that's the last factor on the list.

Kid pitch or T ball ?  T ball, he ain't missing shit. First year of kid pitch, he ain't missing shit.

• Like 1

I feel you. I just had to tell my about-to-turn-16yo she couldn’t take a job offer to work in a gym with her friends as her first job to pay for gas. My oldest just graduated Tech and will never get to cross the stage. I hate that they’re losing these milestones we all enjoyed.

For what it’s worth, being outdoors should help reduce transmission in the air, but I certainly wouldn’t be comfortable with the shared bats and helmets. Who knows with the ball itself.

• Like 4

Not with the wife’s problems. Always next year. Maybe get a tee and bucket of balls and shag some flyballs or go to batting cages with own bat of course
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s stupid. Those kids should not be running around in a mask for 60-90 minutes in 90+ weather. Absurd. 

Really is.  So much of this BS seems to be done for optics.  You're much better off banning the elderly from games but i doubt anyone will do that.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I feel you. I just had to tell my about-to-turn-16yo she couldn’t take a job offer to work in a gym with her friends as her first job to pay for gas. My oldest just graduated Tech and will never get to cross the stage. I hate that they’re losing these milestones we all enjoyed.

For what it’s worth, being outdoors should help reduce transmission in the air, but I certainly wouldn’t be comfortable with the shared bats and helmets. Who knows with the ball itself.

Yeah, told my 14 year old he wasn't going to get to go with the other football players to the crossfittish gym strength camp, but arranged for him to workout at a coworker's house with 15 feet of distancing and a full Olympic weight set.  Also looking at squat racks for the house, but they are mostly backordered.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Kid pitch. 

My son’s U12 travel team started practicing a week ago. We might be the only family not participating. There’s an impromptu round robin set up with a couple of teams from neighboring towns for this weekend. 

still no guidance on dugout usage, sharing gear like helmets and catching gear, sterilization efforts, umpiring, nothing. 

county had its second confirmed positive yesterday. Neighboring counties have a few more. 

11 hours ago, dcbc said:

Ballgame. 

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If it's his first year of kid pitch he won't be missing anything either. That first year is brutal.  Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk walk walk, hit, walk walk walk walk walk, error, walk walk walk was walk ..

This is the truth. Probably the most boring kids sporting activity thus far for me has been first year of kid pitch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If it's his first year of kid pitch he won't be missing anything either. That first year is brutal.  Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk walk walk, hit, walk walk walk walk walk, error, walk walk walk was walk ..

11 year olds are not in first year of kid pitch.  They are in the last year two years of little league.

• Like 1

Ugh. I found out last night that the camp my daughter attends is going forward as planned and on schedule. They also announced it on Instagram, so I found out from my daughter (not ideal). I  My daughter is deeply depressed right now and looks forward to camp more than any other single thing. She was happier last night than she has been in weeks.
Camp kids probably need camp this summer more than any other time in their lives. 

Pro: the health director (and part owner) of the camp is an RN with a Masters in public health and they are following an enhanced version of the CDC guidelines along with those promulgated by ACA and YMCA. Nobody wants to be the summer camp that caused a coronavirus spike, and this camp is doing all they can while maintaining some version of normalcy.

Con: Camp is a mass gathering of people from multiple geographic regions who are likely to be asymptomatic for a longer period of time. This particular camp (no CR) skews towards families that are likely to have dismissed the risk of coronavirus as a hoax or panic and are more likely to have disregarded sensible guidelines and required monitoring prior to getting on the bus. it draws campers heavily from the following places that combine spotty testing with rising or plateauing rates of confirmed infection: Texas (especially East and Greater Houston), Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, and Mississippi. 

Mental health is incredibly important and camp has a profoundly positive impact on my daughter and other kids. On the other hand I don’t want her getting sick and I don’t want her to be a vector for disease. It’s not likely that she would be infected as a result of attending camp. But it’s possible, maybe even at a high single digit level.

I don’t know what to do. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ugh. I found out last night that the camp my daughter attends is going forward as planned and on schedule. They also announced it on Instagram, so I found out from my daughter (not ideal). I  My daughter is deeply depressed right now and looks forward to camp more than any other single thing. She was happier last night than she has been in weeks.
Camp kids probably need camp this summer more than any other time in their lives. 

Pro: the health director (and part owner) of the camp is an RN with a Masters in public health and they are following an enhanced version of the CDC guidelines along with those promulgated by ACA and YMCA. Nobody wants to be the summer camp that caused a coronavirus spike, and this camp is doing all they can while maintaining some version of normalcy.

Con: Camp is a mass gathering of people from multiple geographic regions who are likely to be asymptomatic for a longer period of time. This particular camp (no CR) skews towards families that are likely to have dismissed the risk of coronavirus as a hoax or panic and are more likely to have disregarded sensible guidelines and required monitoring prior to getting on the bus. it draws campers heavily from the following places that combine spotty testing with rising or plateauing rates of confirmed infection: Texas (especially East and Greater Houston), Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, and Mississippi. 

Mental health is incredibly important and camp has a profoundly positive impact on my daughter and other kids. On the other hand I don’t want her getting sick and I don’t want her to be a vector for disease. It’s not likely that she would be infected as a result of attending camp. But it’s possible, maybe even at a high single digit level.

I don’t know what to do. 

Camp Ozark?  

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don’t know what to do. 

Have the same issue here.  Just told the kids there was no camp this year.  Risk is too high.  Close quarters and kids coming in from everywhere who have been around who knows what.  Told them we would do a blow out vacation after all the shit has died off.

Have the same issue here.  Just told the kids there was no camp this year.  Risk is too high.  Close quarters and kids coming in from everywhere who have been around who knows what.  Told them we would do a blow out vacation after all the shit has died off.

Not very nice to call the olds “shit”
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Risk is too high.

I personally think sending all kids to a one month camp, and quickly establishing herd immunity amongst the youth, would be the ideal solution to all this. The medical risk is actually low to them, other than all the pregnancies and STDs which would occur. Then, school could begin on time will little risk of the virus spreading amongst these germ infested gremlins.

Edited by Casual Encounter
VD
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don’t know what to do. 

Same here except the camp mine goes to has basically said they will come out with guidelines before opening. My youngest is ready to go tomorrow, but they need to roll out some sort of information of what their plan is before we get into this discussion.

My daughter is going to camp in late June for a week. They don't have any outside contact for that whole week and we plan on keeping her home for at least a week after. The only issue would be if it somehow came in with an asymptomatic kid, who then managed to spread it to the other kids, who were all also asymptomatic for a week, then my kid came home and was also asymptomatic for another full week. 

Also it's a much safer situation than when they inevitably go back to school in August or September. 

• Like 1

I'm also mulling over the camp issue.  My daughter is scheduled for a two-week camp in late July/early August, and she's been looking forward to it for months, more so since she's effectively been under house arrest since Spring Break.  Yesterday her camp announced that the summer sessions will proceed as planned, but they're working on particular safety precautions to augment the CDC/State of Texas guidelines.  They also generously modified their cancellation policy, and we can now get a full refund if we cancel at least 48 hours before the start of her session, which is a big deal because the camp cost $3,300, nothing to sneeze at.  So I'm going to see how the first several weeks of the summer shake out, both with earlier sessions of this camp as well as the Austin area, and will make my decision in mid-July. 

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm also mulling over the camp issue.  My daughter is scheduled for a two-week camp in late July/early August, and she's been looking forward to it for months, more so since she's effectively been under house arrest since Spring Break.  Yesterday her camp announced that the summer sessions will proceed as planned, but they're working on particular safety precautions to augment the CDC/State of Texas guidelines.  They also generously modified their cancellation policy, and we can now get a full refund if we cancel at least 48 hours before the start of her session, which is a big deal because the camp cost $3,300, nothing to sneeze at.  So I'm going to see how the first several weeks of the summer shake out, both with earlier sessions of this camp as well as the Austin area, and will make my decision in mid-July. 

Our kids are past camp age, but if we were still in y'all's shoes....we'd be making decisions the same way.  Leaning towards going, with precautions about contacts after they return.

Our kids were "go to language schools overseas for a month" age.....those plans died a month ago.  Now, it's "let's see if you can get any sort of job" for their summer plan.

13 hours ago, dcbc said:

Buy the kid his own helmet. Every kid should have their own helmet, gloves, bat... Keep the kids and parents spread out, preferably out of the dugout... All they share is the ball and tell them not to touch their face or lick their fingers... Count on the UV to help kill any virus. Not much else you can do. 

• Like 1

Healthy children should be fine at camp. Understand that there is some risk for them. And use logic to determine the asymptomatic scenarios. The camp could be fine, but how do the kids return home? The outside exposure will likely happen en route or during departure.

Can you isolate your child for 2 weeks? Probably you’d be fine isolating at home one week (more realistic), then monitoring 2nd week. They keep to bedroom, bathroom, backyard for one week. Keeping in touch with other campers for exposures. Still keeping them sheltering around the house or backyard the full two weeks.

This is all simpler than the idea of 50 million students going back to school daily in the Fall.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, B00M said:

Buy the kid his own helmet. Every kid should have their own helmet, gloves, bat... Keep the kids and parents spread out, preferably out of the dugout... All they share is the ball and tell them not to touch their face or lick their fingers... Count on the UV to help kill any virus. Not much else you can do. 

IMHO this is going to feel pretty stupid when a year from now they prove definitively that  95+% of the cases [and almost all the deaths] are from breathing air of an infected person in closed spaces. 

I bet its almost impossible to get this outside. Extremely rare from a doorknob. 

I get the caution but its time to start getting a little more specific on a lot of things. Where we have data, get into it and use it wisely. 

Where we dont, use some common sense and assume that in terms of transferability this will act like other coronas. 

The neurotics in charge are getting completely carried away. You cant even go to the lakefront parks in Chicago. Ridiculous. 

Edited by bullzak
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Really is.  So much of this BS seems to be done for optics.  You're much better off banning the elderly from games but i doubt anyone will do that.  

Just might do it myself, especially in September-October if the situation is still uncertain.

58 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Not very nice to call the olds “shit”

Wish I could take one.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Camp Ozark?  

Byrde Family still involved with that?  Or did the Langmore's take over?  

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don’t know what to do. 

This is a no brainer man- send her to camp. Worst case scenario is she gets sick and that’s a high high high likelihood of not being any big deal. 

If you are concerned about her being a vector just quarantine her for 14 days. Or test her- not super expensive and more or less available anywhere now aren’t they? 

Don’t overthink this. Kids weren’t made to be shut in, the risk to her is infintesimally small, and you can go back to quarantine when she gets back to not be a vector. Or test. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

I personally think sending all kids to a one month camp, and quickly establishing herd immunity amongst the youth, would be the ideal solution to all this. The medical risk is actually low to them, other than all the pregnancies and STDs which would occur. Then, school could begin on time will little risk of the virus spreading amongst these germ infested gremlins.

School should be 24/7 for the first month back. We are making up for lost time kiddos. Have fun. Herd immunity for young.  Profit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Byrde Family still involved with that?  Or did the Langmore's take over?  

An aggy family (the Torns) have owned and run Ozark for a long, long time, I believe. My kids are going at the end of June/early July.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yep. 

My kids are signed up for late July.  6 weeks ago, I would've never imagined them going or the camp even being open, but we are leaning towards going.  I guess by the time we go, there will have been a number of sessions in the books.  They seem to really care, and with the age of some of the staff, they better.

As for the surrounding states, I kind of think the price point weeds out a lot of the mouthbreathers.  But you're definitely going to have a lot kids who are going to be active this summer.  As I've mentioned in this thread, my kids are playing soccer again and as soon as baseball gets a green light, they'll be doing that.  I'm sure we will go to the pool at some point this summer.  I don't think you'll find many kids whose parents allow them to attend summer camp, yet don't allow them to do other normal summer activities.

Edited by Don Johnson

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well then why bother with the kid?

Exactly. 

horse has been outta the barn guys. Debating on camps/school/etc is kinda a moot point at this juncture. If you have someone in your household who is overweight or immunocomp. or whatever then I guess you gotta make your own decisions, but at this point we are all going to get it... its just a question of when and how full/not full the hospitals will get

• Like 1

My wife wants to sign me up for the adult camp at Sherwood Faire.  I have to pick 6 classes, and I’ve narrowed the main list down to this

• Archery
  • Axe and Knife Throwing
  • Blacksmithing
  • Chainmaille
  • Corset Making
  • Discoverie of Witchcraft
  • Egyptian Bellydance
  • Herbalism
  • Leatherwork
  • Mead Making 
  • Mug Making
  • Swordplay

Somewhere in that list are 6 classes that will help me get through the covid shutdown in the fall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away