Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

My wife wants to sign me up for the adult camp at Sherwood Faire.  I have to pick 6 classes, and I’ve narrowed the main list down to this
  • Archery
  • Axe and Knife Throwing
  • Blacksmithing
  • Chainmaille
  • Corset Making
  • Discoverie of Witchcraft
  • Egyptian Bellydance
  • Herbalism
  • Leatherwork
  • Mead Making 
  • Mug Making
  • Swordplay
Somewhere in that list are 6 classes that will help me get through the covid shutdown in the fall.
Mug making, axe throwing, mead making x 4.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My wife wants to sign me up for the adult camp at Sherwood Faire.  I have to pick 6 classes, and I’ve narrowed the main list down to this

• Archery
  • Axe and Knife Throwing
  • Blacksmithing
  • Chainmaille
  • Corset Making
  • Egyptian Bellydance
  • Herbalism
  • Leatherwork
  • Mead Making 
  • Mug Making
  • Swordplay

Somewhere in that list are 6 classes that will help me get through the covid shutdown in the fall.

Archery, Axe and Knife Throwing, Swordplay, Blacksmithing, Leatherwork, and Mead Making are the obvious choices. Although I might opt out of Leatherworking since there probably isn't much I don't already know there.

Guest Lobo
20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

• Archery
  • Axe and Knife Throwing
  • Blacksmithing
  • Chainmaille
  • Corset Making
  • Egyptian Bellydance
  • Herbalism
  • Leatherwork
  • Mead Making 
  • Mug Making
  • Swordplay

So like a BDSM camp then?  

Ugh. I found out last night that the camp my daughter attends is going forward as planned and on schedule. They also announced it on Instagram, so I found out from my daughter (not ideal). I  My daughter is deeply depressed right now and looks forward to camp more than any other single thing. She was happier last night than she has been in weeks.
Camp kids probably need camp this summer more than any other time in their lives. 
Pro: the health director (and part owner) of the camp is an RN with a Masters in public health and they are following an enhanced version of the CDC guidelines along with those promulgated by ACA and YMCA. Nobody wants to be the summer camp that caused a coronavirus spike, and this camp is doing all they can while maintaining some version of normalcy.
Con: Camp is a mass gathering of people from multiple geographic regions who are likely to be asymptomatic for a longer period of time. This particular camp (no CR) skews towards families that are likely to have dismissed the risk of coronavirus as a hoax or panic and are more likely to have disregarded sensible guidelines and required monitoring prior to getting on the bus. it draws campers heavily from the following places that combine spotty testing with rising or plateauing rates of confirmed infection: Texas (especially East and Greater Houston), Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, and Mississippi. 
Mental health is incredibly important and camp has a profoundly positive impact on my daughter and other kids. On the other hand I don’t want her getting sick and I don’t want her to be a vector for disease. It’s not likely that she would be infected as a result of attending camp. But it’s possible, maybe even at a high single digit level.

I don’t know what to do. 

Surprising. My kids have always gone to HEB Foundation Laity Lodge. They announced they're shutting it down for the summer. Most importantly 1800 dollar refund for dad.

• Archery
  • Axe and Knife Throwing
  • Blacksmithing
  • Chainmaille
  • Corset Making
  • Egyptian Bellydance
  • Herbalism
  • Leatherwork
  • Mead Making 
  • Mug Making
  • Swordplay

Swordplay? Just make sure there are at least 3 of you.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, Tailgate said:

Going to grab dinner on the patio at Matt's El Rancho tonight. It's time.

Well, be sure to wear your Bad Idea Jeans tonight.  /nopolitics

51 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

• Archery
  • Axe and Knife Throwing
  • Blacksmithing
  • Chainmaille
  • Corset Making
  • Egyptian Bellydance
  • Herbalism
  • Leatherwork
  • Mead Making 
  • Mug Making
  • Swordplay

Go bellydance and corset making. Don't matter, either way those dudes are going to shaft you. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

• Archery
  • Axe and Knife Throwing
  • Blacksmithing
  • Chainmaille
  • Corset Making
  • Egyptian Bellydance
  • Herbalism
  • Leatherwork
  • Mead Making 
  • Mug Making
  • Swordplay

Are there models involved in the corset making and Egyptian belly dancing?

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Exactly. 

horse has been outta the barn guys. Debating on camps/school/etc is kinda a moot point at this juncture. If you have someone in your household who is overweight or immunocomp. or whatever then I guess you gotta make your own decisions, but at this point we are all going to get it... its just a question of when and how full/not full the hospitals will get

ballgame. 

• Like 1

Now, it's "let's see if you can get any sort of job" for their summer plan.

I’m even questioning this for my kids. Do I want them taking a job that someone else might actually NEED? Such a weird time
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If you asked those in the great depression...hey 1% of you will die but the economy will be back.  They'd all be like fuck yes.  

Instead of walking their kids to sign up for the military, they’d would have been wheeling their grandparents sign up for stadium bingo.

Edited by Casual Encounter

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I would think the Karens would be happy.  All the kids be jumping in, splashing hair on their 90's bouffants.  

Nope. now they have no excuse for filling a yeti cup the size of a traffic cone with vodka and sparkling water at 1pm. 

I hope our pool opens soon.  We're a small neighborhood (maybe 200 homes) with a fairly old demographic.  I've never seen more than 10 kids in our pool and half of those were with us.  I'd be pissed though of the neighborhoods next to us closed theirs because we already get those pricks sneaking into ours because theirs is too crowded 

Edited by dingleberryswitzer
Time

Guest Lobo
11 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I’m even questioning this for my kids. Do I want them taking a job that someone else might actually NEED? Such a weird time

You know, that's a really good point.  While in hindsight, I appreciated working jobs between 13-22 like busboy/bar-back, carpenter's assistant, retail/stocker, and helper on a beer delivery truck.  Those are jobs, where if the parent just wants the kid to get some work ethic this summer (and the family doesn't truly need the money), maybe think about letting somebody else grab that position.  If you've been doing a good job with your kids, one summer without manual labor shouldn't make a huge impact good/bad/indifferent with your kid.  If you can get them a gig at a friend's business for an "allowance" paid by you...I think that's good.  But yeah, to your point.....ever young adult should work in a restaurant like most of us did, but this may not be the summer for them to do that.  Hell, most of the jobs I described/had and the ones you're thinking about probably won't even exist this summer.  And if they do, then to yes...think about if you can skip a summer to instill work ethic in Junior so some other family can make rent with that income.  If my oldest was just a few years older, I'd be skipping summer jobs and just have her do crazy amounts of work around the house and yard for a raise in allowance.  Yeah, there's no substitute for working a proper business with strangers but this ain't the summer to play Parent of the Year.  

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Hell I'm a doctor and I'm like let's get the fuck out.  I am all about keeping the elderly/immunocompromised as segregated as we can.  Of course medically I'm still following every precaution but for personal life we are all like let's fucking go and live a little.  If you asked those in the great depression...hey 1% of you will die but the economy will be back.  They'd all be like fuck yes.  

nope. can't do that.  need to save just one life you greedy SOB...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You know, that's a really good point.  While in hindsight, I appreciated working jobs between 13-22 like busboy/bar-back, carpenter's assistant, retail/stocker, and helper on a beer delivery truck.  Those are jobs, where if the parent just wants the kid to get some work ethic this summer (and the family doesn't truly need the money), maybe think about letting somebody else grab that position.  If you've been doing a good job with your kids, one summer without manual labor shouldn't make a huge impact good/bad/indifferent with your kid.  If you can get them a gig at a friend's business for an "allowance" paid by you...I think that's good.  But yeah, to your point.....ever young adult should work in a restaurant like most of us did, but this may not be the summer for them to do that.  Hell, most of the jobs I described/had and the ones you're thinking about probably won't even exist this summer.  And if they do, then to yes...think about if you can skip a summer to instill work ethic in Junior so some other family can make rent with that income.  If my oldest was just a few years older, I'd be skipping summer jobs and just have her do crazy amounts of work around the house and yard for a raise in allowance.  Yeah, there's no substitute for working a proper business with strangers but this ain't the summer to play Parent of the Year.  

We're actually working an angle to get our daughter a part-time gig as  ranch hand.  We'd be willing to subsidize the pay some.  That way, it's one less job taken from someone who really needs to make some money.  And dude, in her field (foreign languages and such) a resume line of "cowgirl/ranch hand in Texas" is an absolute interview-clincher.  So long-term, it might  even be ideal.

And for the boy....we're just looking for a low-hours parttime gig -- like a burger joint or something (in other words, a job that really wouldn't help someone pay meaningful bills anyway).  Just because he DESPERATELY needs something to focus on and build some self-discipline.

Edited by Brisketexan

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're actually working an angle to get our daughter a part-time gig as  ranch hand.  We'd be willing to subsidize the pay some.  That way, it's one less job taken from someone who really needs to make some money.  And dude, in her field (foreign languages and such) a resume line of "cowgirl/ranch hand in Texas" is an absolute interview-clincher.  So long-term, it might  even be ideal.

And for the boy....we're just looking for a low-hours parttime gig -- like a burger joint or something (in other words, a job that really wouldn't help someone pay meaningful bills anyway).  Just because he DESPERATELY needs something to focus on and build some self-discipline.

Get him on a roofing crew.  

If he fucks up with education after that you know there was no hope.

• Like 4

Just now, Incredulity said:

Get him on a roofing crew.  

If he fucks up with education after that you know there was no hope.

@Pescado_Rojo has a similar story about his high school gig.  I believe it was hanging sheetrock in the SETX heat and humidity.  Inspired him to go to college to get him one of those "indoors" jobs.

We got lucky with CHIEF Jr., he has been an "on water" boat mechanic for about 5 years now. People are using the lake for social distancing, so they were immediately 2-3 weeks behind as soon as his finals were over. Working sunup to sundown, but he is pulling in about $1400 per week till they get caught up. I never made but maybe a quarter of that in a week when I was his age.

CHIEF

• Like 1

Hell I'm a doctor and I'm like let's get the fuck out.  I am all about keeping the elderly/immunocompromised as segregated as we can.  Of course medically I'm still following every precaution but for personal life we are all like let's fucking go and live a little.  If you asked those in the great depression...hey 1% of you will die but the economy will be back.  They'd all be like fuck yes.  

In a world where we didnt change behavior, C19 shuts things down on its own. There is no choice, but hard, educated decisions. The US’ 50-state, 10000-county, 40,000-city, 330million-person strategy will neither solve this public health crisis nor re-open the economy.

In the depression, if you asked people hey 1% will die and our economy will suck, thats a more apt hypothetical. You have to solve the public health crisis before anything, even if its not perfect and comes with risks and inconvenience and failures.

At this point, we don’t even have a consensus on the extent of the problem. In Texas, just now having adequate testing. This is Phase I shit.
  • Like 3

For your livestock update, cattle packing runs topped 100K for the first time in 3 weeks or so, and continuing to close the gap on capacity. Beef prices found a bit of a bid, which is normal with Memorial Day coming up, but the return to normal should keep things stair stepping down. Hogs just missed cracking 400K today, with pork prices rebounding as well as we see ham restocking push the cutout up, but belly prices are basically back to normal. 

• Like 5

Just now, Royalfan5 said:

For your livestock update, cattle packing runs topped 100K for the first time in 3 weeks or so, and continuing to close the gap on capacity. Beef prices found a bit of a bid, which is normal with Memorial Day coming up, but the return to normal should keep things stair stepping down. Hogs just missed cracking 400K today, with pork prices rebounding as well as we see ham restocking push the cutout up, but belly prices are basically back to normal. 

billy crystal yee haw GIF

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Spreadsheet Percentage of Deaths in Nursing Homes by state

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/edit#gid=435667374

24 states over 50%

Worst: Minnesota 87%, Rhode Island 77%, New Hampshire 75%

Not reporting: Alaska, Mississippi, Missouri, and Wyoming

Mississippi is 49.3% (281/570)

https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/14,0,420.html

Can't find the others but based on stories on nursing home outbreaks in St Louis, i'd be surprised if Missouri was below 50%

• Like 1

while i completely understand the desire to let kids go to camp, i could not imagine sending my boys to camp any more than i could imagine getting on an airplane to attend a trade show. and i'm going some kind of bananas under shelter in place.

i ain't telling yall what to do, but despite the legality of these gatherings, they still seem risky to me.

but i've gone from being fairly blase about this a couple of months ago to being very cautious. 

until we have appreciable data on positive tests and antibody tests, it's hard to consider large gatherings.

ymmv

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Healthy children should be fine at camp. Understand that there is some risk for them. And use logic to determine the asymptomatic scenarios. The camp could be fine, but how do the kids return home? The outside exposure will likely happen en route or during departure.

Can you isolate your child for 2 weeks? Probably you’d be fine isolating at home one week (more realistic), then monitoring 2nd week. They keep to bedroom, bathroom, backyard for one week. Keeping in touch with other campers for exposures. Still keeping them sheltering around the house or backyard the full two weeks.

This is all simpler than the idea of 50 million students going back to school daily in the Fall.

This is an excellent point

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Don’t forget to quarantine yourselves for 2 weeks along with the kid in case they happen to have brought it back with them and infected those in their household. 

If I can't model for dildos how do I feed my family?

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Byrde Family still involved with that?  Or did the Langmore's take over?  

the Torns. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is a no brainer man- send her to camp. Worst case scenario is she gets sick and that’s a high high high likelihood of not being any big deal. 

If you are concerned about her being a vector just quarantine her for 14 days. Or test her- not super expensive and more or less available anywhere now aren’t they? 

Don’t overthink this. Kids weren’t made to be shut in, the risk to her is infintesimally small, and you can go back to quarantine when she gets back to not be a vector. Or test. 

I'm leaning this way. 

19 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

We got the email for Ozark.  Kids are thrilled.  I see at as a very minimal risk.

Should we talk to them about offering rat husbandry?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

4 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

2WUTVBb.gif?noredirect

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

while i completely understand the desire to let kids go to camp, i could not imagine sending my boys to camp any more than i could imagine getting on an airplane to attend a trade show. and i'm going some kind of bananas under shelter in place.

i ain't telling yall what to do, but despite the legality of these gatherings, they still seem risky to me.

but i've gone from being fairly blase about this a couple of months ago to being very cautious. 

until we have appreciable data on positive tests and antibody tests, it's hard to consider large gatherings.

ymmv

stephen king film GIF

• Like 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away