Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

One summer I decided my regular summer job(working in an air conditioned golf shop) making 5.95/hour wasn’t good enough so I took a commercial roofing job making $15/hr.   I’ll never forget my dad asking me why the hell would leave my easy pro shop job for commercial roofing.  When I told him it was for more money he shook his head and said I wouldn’t last a week.  If he hadn’t have said that I probably would have quit after two days but just to prove him wrong I stayed the whole summer.  That is when I realized how much smarter my dad was than me.  He said that knowing I would not quit just to prove him wrong all while learning that I would do anything not to do that job the rest of my life.  Anytime I’ve had a shitty day at work and momentarily think my job sucks I just think back to that summer and suddenly realize just how much I love my current job.  

Agreed on the 'shitty day' not being so shitty when you compare it to days of old.  I still work a shitload but it never feels like it compared to the shit I put myself through early in life.  No matter what I do, it seems easy compared to those days. 

Edit: also the old man used to say 'you sure do like nice shit, you better be ready to work your ass off' - I was

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i just do not understand the hurry. it might be my newfound paranoia, but we don't even know what june and july are going to look like.

they need students/parents to pay for housing/meals/sports passes/parking/etc. and yes, classes online for freshmen level would work to some extent.  not for higher level.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Agreed on the 'shitty day' not being so shitty when you compare it to days of old.  I still work a shitload but it never feels like it compared to the shit I put myself through early in life.  No matter what I do, it seems easy compared to those days. 

Edit: also the old man used to say 'you sure do like nice shit, you better be ready to work your ass off' - I was

welcome to the Surl 1%ers!

19 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

If you take every state west of the Mississippi, including the West Coast, minus Louisiana (Mardi Gras), they average up to about 10 deaths per 100k of population. New York and New Jersey have over 10x that amount, 142/100k and 121/100k. If you can't figure out relying on public transportation, heavy population density, and international flights coming in every hour caused this exact scenario, I don't know what to tell you. I can't understand people asking the same dumb question about what is different about NYC.

CHIEF

dahobbs will be along shortly to set you straight...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

You are not going to be able to pass an upper level math, physics, or engineering class while taking it online. Students are going to have too many questions. No availability to go to labs and learn the practical skills. My kid already said if all classes are online, he will be sitting it out till campus reopens.

CHIEF

Smart move. That’s the message the universities should be getting. Parents and students aren’t going to put up with paying full price for online instruction. Hopefully this will cause belt tightening and cost control. Start with trimming the fat with all the excess administrators that have been hired.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

dahobbs will be along shortly to set you straight...

You are weird. I don't question the idea that those factors could have lead to increased rate of spread in New York. In fact, I assume that they did. But, evidence points to these virus spreading happily and quickly in significantly less dense environments absent shutdown/social distancing/improved sanitation. It is foolish to think that everywhere else is immune just because New York got hit faster.

29 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup.  I absolutely wouldn't pay for a semester of engineering school if, ahead of time, I believed there were any chance that ANY of it would be remote.

Classes are not going to be online.  First semester ends at Thanksgiving.  You get thanksgiving break, then the reading days and finals will be online.  No classes themselves will be online.  My son will be a freshman there this fall and we just got the email from Fenves.

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You are weird. I don't question the idea that those factors could have lead to increased rate of spread in New York. In fact, I assume that they did. But, evidence points to these virus spreading happily and quickly in significantly less dense environments absent shutdown/social distancing/improved sanitation. It is foolish to think that everywhere else is immune just because New York got hit faster.

Well the second most populous state in the US is sitting at about 3500 deaths, how do you explain that? The county south of me still has never had a case. The ONLY hot spots in significantly rural counties all have ties to packing plants, where the workers are crowded together for processing. With only 3 Texas counties over 100 deaths, the idea that this virus is spreading happily and quickly in less dense environments is absurd. We are in a county, population of 60k we have had 22 cases, and 3 deaths, and we are 35 miles from DFW. Testing is immediately available, both viral and antibody, and only 532 people have bothered to take a test.

I've come to realize that there are two completely different reactions to COVID, the urban/suburban reaction, and the rural reaction. Rural America would never even have known about COVID if not for TV and the internet. 

I know this was directed at someone else. But from my rural perspective, the reactions and precautions are apples and oranges. I understand why dashing young urbanites, and the the common clay, you know, morons, have a completely different prospective on their risk mitigation.

CHIEF

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

bing!

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

When students come back to campus from break in January, they fortunately won’t be able to infect anyone like they would in December.

and they won't go home for "fall break"(this is new for all the surly olds) or on a weekend.

they can come back on Jan 3rd or something and quarantine for 14 days and be served food through newly made slots in the dorm room doors.

10 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Well the second most populous state in the US is sitting at about 3500 deaths, how do you explain that? The county south of me still has never had a case. The ONLY hot spots in significantly rural counties all have ties to packing plants, where the workers are crowded together for processing. With only 3 Texas counties over 100 deaths, the idea that this virus is spreading happily and quickly in less dense environments is absurd. We are in a county, population of 60k we have had 22 cases, and 3 deaths, and we are 35 miles from DFW. Testing is immediately available, both viral and antibody, and only 532 people have bothered to take a test.

I've come to realize that there are two completely different reactions to COVID, the urban/suburban reaction, and the rural reaction. Rural America would never even have known about COVID if not for TV and the internet. 

I know this was directed at someone else. But from my rural perspective, the reactions and precautions are apples and oranges. I understand why dashing young urbanites, and the the common clay, you know, morons, have a completely different prospective on their risk mitigation.

CHIEF

you need to get to a safe zone.  you have a 15% CCFR, that is double NYC. hurry!

10 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ugh. I found out last night that the camp my daughter attends is going forward as planned and on schedule. They also announced it on Instagram, so I found out from my daughter (not ideal). I  My daughter is deeply depressed right now and looks forward to camp more than any other single thing. She was happier last night than she has been in weeks.
Camp kids probably need camp this summer more than any other time in their lives. 

Pro: the health director (and part owner) of the camp is an RN with a Masters in public health and they are following an enhanced version of the CDC guidelines along with those promulgated by ACA and YMCA. Nobody wants to be the summer camp that caused a coronavirus spike, and this camp is doing all they can while maintaining some version of normalcy.

Con: Camp is a mass gathering of people from multiple geographic regions who are likely to be asymptomatic for a longer period of time. This particular camp (no CR) skews towards families that are likely to have dismissed the risk of coronavirus as a hoax or panic and are more likely to have disregarded sensible guidelines and required monitoring prior to getting on the bus. it draws campers heavily from the following places that combine spotty testing with rising or plateauing rates of confirmed infection: Texas (especially East and Greater Houston), Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, and Mississippi. 

Mental health is incredibly important and camp has a profoundly positive impact on my daughter and other kids. On the other hand I don’t want her getting sick and I don’t want her to be a vector for disease. It’s not likely that she would be infected as a result of attending camp. But it’s possible, maybe even at a high single digit level.

I don’t know what to do. 

Is she high risk?  Is anyone in your home high risk?  Based on assuming she is teen aged she has about as much to personally to fear from COVID as she would from standard bacterial or virus infections.  So if she gets infected, odds say she may not even notice.  But, if she catches COVID, and while she is okay, but brings it back into your home what are the ramifications?  

Also, when school opens in the fall, and she will again be around a large number of kids, you will need to ask the same questions.  Will you let her go back to in-person school in the fall?  If yes, and there is really no change except more time to be comfortable with the decision, is there more to be concerned about except recency bias for heightened parental concern?

Having said that, my kids long sleep away camps have been canceled and they hate not being able to go.  AND if that decision changed somehow , while I might support sending them, I would be stunned if Mrs. ABSR let them go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you need to get to a safe zone.  you have a 15% CCFR, that is double NYC. hurry!

You can damn sure bet that I was shaking in my little space boots when that happened right out of the gate. We have a huge population of Lockheed engineers and airline pilots in my neighborhood, I was about on Greenpoint's level, already had my dugout location staked out.....then.....nothing.

CHIEF

24 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

When students come back to campus from break in January, they fortunately won’t be able to infect anyone like they would in December.

Well sure, but by eliminating the Thanksgiving Break, they are at least eliminating one other mass exodus and re-entry to campus. 

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Other data point, the Miami-Dade county results estimated between 123,000 and 221,000 infected residents for the county. From Worldometer, the county has reported 578 deaths. So that puts the CFR between  .261% and .469%. Still 2.5 to nearly 5x regular flu.  

And we’ve had flu vaccines in various forms for decades 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

And we’ve had flu vaccines in various forms for decades 

"And those give you the flu." - 75% of the people in my office when they come around annually with flu shots. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Deej said:

"And those give you the flu." - 75% of the people in my office when they come around annually with flu shots. 

I haven’t had a flu shot in over 20 years, when I had to have one to stay in the dorms my freshman year 

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, Deej said:

"Haven't worn a condom since my stay in the dorms over 20 years ago. Never knocked anyone up."

Well yeah, kudos on wearing the condom, but you can't get a dude pregnant even if your sans prophylactic.  

I’ve had flu shots each fall almost 20 seasons straight without catching it.

However last spring I had a non-pneumonia bronchitis infection that lasted almost 3 weeks. Felt really shitty and coughed a lot for two of those weeks until the second round of antibiotics Finally took hold.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well yeah, kudos on wearing the condom, but you can't get a dude pregnant even if your sans prophylactic.  

Of course the guy who is a proponent of prison rape is good with not worrying about STD's. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Deej said:

And I've taken a flu shot every year since 85 (some years 2).....and never have gotten the flu

• Like 3

Guest Lobo

DEEJ-  It was Just in that one instance, I actually got a few laughs with the anecdote about the Dad Cletus telling Cletus Jr. to stop crying and just take it while plotting their revenge.  Then Cletus Jr. replies, "I ain't crying pa', I'm just choking on cock."  C'mon...it was a little funny.  Anyway, I know it upset you and Dr. Beeper's master plan to have the victim kneel and plead for his life so you could jerk off to it.  What's it like hiding your racism all day by the way?  Seems easy for you.  Almost awkwardly so.  What's it like to hate people who've put you in the position you're currently in even though it ain't their fault?  Maybe Rex Kramer will bail you out of your misery.  Go vote against yourself one more time, you fucking child. 

Edited by Lobo

Just now, Lobo said:

Just in that one instance, I actually got a few laughs with the anecdote about the Dad Cletus telling Cletus Jr. to stop crying and just take it while plotting their revenge.  Then Cletus Jr. replies, "I ain't crying pa', I'm just choking on cock."  C'mon...it was a little funny.  Anyway, I know it upset you and Dr. Beeper's master plan to have the victim kneel and plead for his life so you could jerk off to it.  What's it like hiding your racism all day by the way?  Seems easy for you.  Almost awkwardly so.  What's it like to hate people who've put you in the position you're currently in even though it ain't their fault?  Maybe Rex Kramer will bail you out of your misery you fucking has-been. 

You had numerous posts where your guy on guy rape fantasy was in full display. You aren't fooling anyone.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

There's my girl.  I just wanted two of your heroes to get assaulted and dead in prison.  Guess you'll have to look back to the Potomac area for next luminaries.  What an awesome chapter for you.  But yeah, I should probably tone down the prison rape rhetoric.  No telling which way that shit can go

21 minutes ago, Deej said:

So, you're one of those. Good to know. 

I’m up to date on all my vaccines, just haven’t done a flu vaccine.  I’ve had the flu once in my life (39 yrs old) and that was in 4th grade.   I’ve had pneumonia twice (training during winter for triathlons).  I’m not encouraging anything about not vaccinating, just saying I haven’t done a flu vaccine.   

• Like 1

Just now, Lobo said:

There's my girl.  I just wanted two of your heroes to get assaulted and dead in prison.  Guess you'll have to look back to the Potomac area for next luminaries.  What an awesome chapter for you.  But yeah, I should probably tone down the prison rape rhetoric.  No telling which way that shit can go

What a fucking idiot you are. Those dudes should rot in hell, but unlike you, I'm not jacking off to the thought of them getting raped in prison to fulfill some weird fantasy. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

Oh stop, you're just mad because the only thing we're jerking off to is what a whore your wife turned out to be.  Otherwise, we're on the same page with regard to reforming the criminal justice system.  

Edited by Lobo

Just now, Lobo said:

Oh stop, you're just mad because the only thing we're jerking off to is what a whore your wife turned out to be.  

Sounds like you're overly sensitive about a certain subject. Your wife or or your mom?

girl why dont we have both GIF

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

I guess I'm overly sensitive about your adult stutter.  or or, just Rex Kramer's posting of my real name in general.  I was taking it out on you, my bad.  I'll get back to prison videos, stay safe during Covid-19.  

Sorry about the mind slip on the other mentioned poster.  

Edited by Lobo

Look, just because I think prison rape is something that shouldn't happen doesn't mean Cletus and his ilk shouldn't fry. Sorry to get worked up, but don't throw me in with that lot defending those pieces of shit. 

We're all good. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

My bad, I meant Rex Kramer's usage of it.  Sorry, I'll edit if I still can.  I don't know why I get you two confused.  He really did put the Highland Park Varsity in HPV, amirite?  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away