Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Glad I wasn't one of those people leaving packages in the garage for days and wiping down their groceries as if the store workers were licking their milk cartons and fruit all day long. 

Heh, I still wash my hands thoroughly after receiving any package or unpacking any groceries, but that's just good hygiene so it proves I'm not a freak... right? :)

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Heh, I still wash my hands thoroughly after receiving any package or unpacking any groceries, but that's just good hygiene so it proves I'm not a freak... right? :)

We should be washing our hands regardless.  Just bc you can't get COVID-19 from your package doesn't mean you can't catch other germs.  Everything we touch is disgusting AF.  

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

No, I think it’s important not to get desensitized to the amount of life lost in all this. Each one of those people had a life, a family, and now they’re dead. I post the numbers to acknowledge their loss instead of pretending this isn’t happening.

Fuck China.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Nah. That's just smart. There's more shit out there (e coli) to worry about.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Why are all healthcare people wearing the masks?

Several reasons: Respirator type masks do protect the wearer. And, you also have other medical masks that are worn to protect against things other than airborne/respiratory droplet transmitted diseases. And, masks also lower the chance of healthcare workers spreading it to others or to patients. 

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think I did. You think people should understand the warnings are only there for legal reasons and not because the mask would be ineffective. You blame lawyers. But you misunderstand the point of the warning. The warning is accurate. It doesn't protect the wearer. People need to know that. But people also need to know that just because a mask doesn't protect the wearer doesn't mean it is useless. You protect others. And others protect you. 

The lawyer statement was a joke. Again, the warning doesn’t mention the wearer. It says it offers no protection.

11 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

There is no solid evidence that it does. There have been numerous studies on wearing general masks to provide protection against infection, and pretty much all of them are either inconclusive or indicate no benefit. 

See above, it doesn’t mention the wearer but keep harping.

My point was, people will look for any excuse to not do what they don’t want to do. This includes pulling up all the studies supporting their opinion, while ignoring those that don’t.

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

N95 masks, with proper fitting, work.

Your UT T-shirt, not so much.

So my double ply homemade fine weave cloth mask that fits my mug like a glove is ineffective at stopping my snot & saliva from flying when I sneeze?

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

The lawyer statement was a joke. Again, the warning doesn’t mention the wearer. It says it offers no protection.

See above, it doesn’t mention the wearer but keep harping.

My point was, people will look for any excuse to not do what they don’t want to do. This includes pulling up all the studies supporting their opinion, while ignoring those that don’t.

Sure, I guess the statement could be more precisely worded. But it specifically discusses respirators and heavily implies that it is talking about benefits to the wearer. That's how I read it. And it appears that is how the facebook post read it. The poster just didn't just realize the nuance of why masks are worn. But I don't blame the masks company or their lawyers for that. It isn't their job to educate the populace. 

21 minutes ago, bullzak said:

Never believed it was easy to get from a doorknob. Just because you can detect the RNA of a virus doesn't mean its transmissible. 

I dont think you need a mask outside in general. 

You wearing a cloth mask isn't really for your benefit - it's to hedge against asymptomatic carriers unknowingly spreading it.

4X5tdyn.jpg

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

But they haven’t all been wearing N95s and still wore masks.

Something > Nothing

Many of us have been in jobs that required masks and know what a pain in the ass "fit testing" is. Clean shaven. Tight as fuck. Because you need that mask to work.

I'm not saying the T-shirt doesn't do something, but it's not doing anything to protect you. At best, it's keeping the water droplets nearer to you. At worst, it's giving you a false sense of security.

*NOTE: I'm not advocating not wearing masks in public

• Like 1

No, I think it’s important not to get desensitized to the amount of life lost in all this. Each one of those people had a life, a family, and now they’re dead. I post the numbers to acknowledge their loss instead of pretending this isn’t happening.

Thanks.  the good news is no one on this thread is pretending this isn't happening so your work here is done.  I'm sure the CR needs you more right now for your statistical moral support.

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

So my double ply homemade fine weave cloth mask that fits my mug like a glove is ineffective at stopping my snot & saliva from flying when I sneeze?

It'll stop or slow snot and saliva when you sneeze. But it will not prevent you from being infected by other people's snot and saliva (or other respiratory droplets). 

Edited by Dahobbs

N95 respirators, with proper fitting.

Most people are wearing surgical masks which are about the same as your tshirt or ski masks.  Their protection is to prevent spittle from flying every which way as you loud-talk the neighbor.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Several reasons: Respirator type masks do protect the wearer. And, you also have other medical masks that are worn to protect against things other than airborne/respiratory droplet transmitted diseases. And, masks also lower the chance of healthcare workers spreading it to others or to patients. 

so...for protection?

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I'm not saying the T-shirt doesn't do something, but it's not doing anything to protect you. At best, it's keeping the water droplets nearer to you. At worst, it's giving you a false sense of security.

It is putting in work to protect other people from you if you were an unknowing carrier of the virus. The cloth mask will contain droplets and reduce the cloud of infectious particles that you exhale and sneeze out, further reducing the risk of further infection.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You can't trust shit coming out of Florida.    The woman running the website that realized covid data for the state was fired/reassigned/whatever.  Not going to get into the why part, since that's CR, and you can read her comments and decide for yourself, but it's basically a boat circling the harbor without somebody at the wheel.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/05/19/florida-health-department-officials-told-manager-to-delete-coronavirus-data-before-reassigning-her-emails-show/

Speaking of Worldometer, little article about how it came out of nowhere fast

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/05/world/worldometer-coronavirus-mystery/

You don't have to get political to know that was a big nothingburger.  A single column was taken down for like 29 hours to verify the accuracy.

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020/05/20/rebekah-jones-firing-is-the-covid-clickbait-the-media-dreams-of-but-its-all-fake/

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/05/19/florida-health-department-officials-told-manager-to-delete-coronavirus-data-before-reassigning-her-emails-show/

• Like 4

Just now, Captainant said:

It is putting in work to protect other people from you if you were an unknowing carrier of the virus. The cloth mask will contain droplets and reduce the cloud of infectious particles that you exhale and sneeze out, further reducing the risk of further infection.

Yeah, that's what I said.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Something > Nothing

Many of us have been in jobs that required masks and know what a pain in the ass "fit testing" is. Clean shaven. Tight as fuck. Because you need that mask to work.

*NOTE: I'm not advocating not wearing masks in public

That was the he point I was trying to make.

It sure seems like a lot of folks are taking "not 95-100% effective at protecting the wearer" and interpreting that as "MASKS AREN'T EFFECTIVE."

We know that this is transmitted by droplets.  And larger droplets carry heavier viral loads, and a heavier viral load is more likely to infect you than a few virus particles.

We know that any barrier in front of your face reduces the transmission of larger droplets far away from your face -- N95, surgical mask, even cloth -- all reduce the number and distance of large droplets leaving your mouth.  That logically lowers the risk of transmission.  

No, it's no guarantee.  Yes, N95s for everyone would be the most effective.  But even a material percentage reduction in transmission can have a significant effect on the total case load.  Shit, some of this is just pretty intuitive.

• Like 5

Just now, Hpara759 said:

so...for protection?

There are different types of masks for different purposes. Some masks do provide protection for the wearer against things like coronavirus (e.g., N-95 masks). But, the general masks people are wearing out in public don't provide the wearer protection against airborne/respiratory droplet based diseases. Surgical masks also don't provide the wearer protection from airborne/respiratory droplet based diseases. But, surgical masks do (1) protect the patients from the respiratory droplets from the healthcare worker, and (2) protect the healthcare worker from things likes blood getting in the mouth.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It'll stop or slow snot and saliva when you sneeze. But it will not prevent you from being infected by other people's snot and saliva (or other respiratory droplets). 

Yeah, I’m aware of those don’t give a shit assholes. That’s why I avoid them.

Anyway, I do not come into close contact with anyone except my doctors and when I went in for retina surgery last week.

Funny thing, when I checked in they made me put away my homemade mask and required me to put on one of their flimsyass paper masks that didn’t fit nearly as well as mine. Post-op blood dribbling disintegrated one side of that mask.when I pulled it off at home. Lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Sure, I guess the statement could be more precisely worded. But it specifically discusses respirators and heavily implies that it is talking about benefits to the wearer. That's how I read it. And it appears that is how the facebook post read it. The poster just didn't just realize the nuance of why masks are worn. But I don't blame the masks company or their lawyers for that. It isn't their job to educate the populace. 

Do you argue with yourself even though you agree with yourself? I completely understand the need for the statement. My follow up below was my point all along... You’re a beating.

16 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Restaurants, hair salons etc opening in NC starting tomorrow at 5. Bars and gyms still closed, I know lots of bars were hoping to be included in Phase 2 prior to the announcement yesterday. I think restaurants are supposed to adhere to 50% capacity but I can see that getting away pretty quickly since it probably won't be enforced. I think the governor also gave up on limiting indoor church services so we'll see how that turns out.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It sure seems like a lot of folks are taking "not 95-100% effective at protecting the wearer" and interpreting that as "MASKS AREN'T EFFECTIVE."

I've not seen that here. Maybe facebook, but I don't think those are real people. Sentient robots, maybe, but not people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We know that this is transmitted by droplets.  And larger droplets carry heavier viral loads, and a heavier viral load is more likely to infect you than a few virus particles.

We know that any barrier in front of your face reduces the transmission of larger droplets far away from your face -- N95, surgical mask, even cloth -- all reduce the number and distance of large droplets leaving your mouth.  That logically lowers the risk of transmission.  

No, it's no guarantee.  Yes, N95s for everyone would be the most effective.  But even a material percentage reduction in transmission can have a significant effect on the total case load.  Shit, some of this is just pretty intuitive.

Yup. Shit, everyone just wearing SOMETHING over their face helps out a fuck ton more than not wearing it

fucking hate when people reject science and common sense

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

Do you argue with yourself even though you agree with yourself? I completely understand the need for the statement. My follow up below was my point all along... You’re a beating.

Dude, I made one short comment in response to your original post. It wasn't an attack. It wasn't an insult. I just clarified the point of the warning. You're the one that went off the rail. 

Other thing surprised me about my retina day surgery last week, they did not test me for the virus beforehand. Not real reassuring going into a surgery center. 

A friend in Wisconsin is having the same kind of surgery next week, and he will be tested first.

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I do find the general consensus of a one way mask interesting. “This piece of cloth will prevent droplets from going out, but won’t prevent them from coming in.”

I know it’s more complex than that but it really does make it confusing for the general public.

It is confusing, the conversations in this thread are evidence of that. We just have to keep educating each other so that everyone understands. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Dude, I made one short comment in response to your original post. It wasn't an attack. It wasn't an insult. I just clarified the point of the warning. You're the one that went off the rail. 

You repeatedly go off the rail, I know the true point of the warning, and it has little to do with the use of the mask. It’s about protecting the company from lawsuits like those against hand sanitizers. A company is not going to risk reduction in profits right now by putting this statement on their product for any other reason. They’d just call it a mask and sell the shit out of them. 

Mask naysayers see it and say, “See there, masks don’t help!”, despite all the evidence out there that indicates masks do slow the spread.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Is there anyone on here that doesnt want to wear a mask out or thinks it is silly? If so, id really like to have a conversation with you

also, as someone who wears a mask for 8-12 hrs a day at work, wearing a mask is pretty fucking cheap and easy to do

lord help that person that gets cornered by you.  hope they have the suicide hotline on speed dial.

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I know it’s more complex than that but it really does make it confusing for the general public.

7ZVYZV4SRVC53J3ZPNZNRNU5JE.jpg

00well-mask-too-low-superJumbo-v2.png?quality=90&auto=webp

there's a shitload of dumbasses out there wearing masks improperly, completely negating any possible protective properties they have. Then you get a second pass of people looking at data and saying "look wearing masks does nothing, look at the numbers!". Then you get a third pass of people joking (I hope) like brat above saying they're useless. Then you have people believing in good faith that the masks are indeed useless.

Solid disinfo propagation.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away