Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

21 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nope, what I was doing was repsonding to a poster that stated, had we (officials) acted a week earlier we'd have saved 35k lives. THAT poster was quite possibly  making a political statement. Any reason why you aren't pointing that out ?  Care to respond to that ?

I’m trying to understand what’s remotely controversial about saying had we acted sooner and made better decisions earlier it would have saved lives. Is that even in doubt?

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’m trying to understand what’s remotely controversial about saying had we acted sooner and made better decisions earlier it would have saved lives. Is that even in doubt?

you are correct, the science guys complete fucked this up.  thanks for the generic blah blah blah.   looking forward to you NYT editorial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you are correct, the science guys complete fucked this up.  thanks for the generic blah blah blah.   looking forward to you NYT editorial.

Are you referencing the CDC decision to reject available testing kits and instead build their own, costing us valuable time and limiting our ability early on to confirm cases and perform contact tracing?

yes, that was unequivocally a mistake and most certainly cost people their lives.

i assume there is universal agreement there?

• Like 3

Are you referencing the CDC decision to reject available testing kits and instead build their own, costing us valuable time and limiting our ability early on to confirm cases and perform contact tracing?
yes, that was unequivocally a mistake and most certainly cost people their lives.

Agreed definitely. It’s why the CDC has 1 whole tweet posted in this entire thread that I can recall.

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Wow, you do have something semi-intelligent to say.

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

agreed.   it also appears they also didn't ask for the shutdown early enough, said go about your business until early March they didn't ask for all foreign incoming travel to stop, and they believed the WHO/China which was a mistake.  they also said masks dont really help.

Edited by dcar00

22 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Wow, you do have something semi-intelligent to say.

If I were to share a series of “semi-intelligent” beliefs regarding this mess, there would be a clear pattern in terms of which ones you agreed with and those which you didn’t. And it would be because you’re a dishonest hack.

• Like 2

Bill de Blaiso is keeping NYC beaches closed, even as state beaches have reopened. While it is rainy and shitty today, this is a VERY unpopular thing. Will be interesting to watch it play out.

Jersey’s trying to single out NYC residents to prevent them to going to their beaches. Not sure how they’ll “enforce” that. Racial profile? No cloak.

25 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If I were to share a series of “semi-intelligent” beliefs regarding this mess, there would be a clear pattern in terms of which ones you agreed with and those which you didn’t. And it would be because you’re a dishonest hack.

Or a pattern of things which I think are appropriate to discuss in this thread and those that aren’t. Of course there’d be a pattern and it likely would not be 100% in line with your way of thinking. Therefore, you want to label me as opposition. I bet we’re in agreement on far more issues than you think. You come in here trying to stir up shit, nothing else. You’re the one being dishonest, because a vast majority of your statements today have been false. You think you know me, and you don’t.

5 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Jersey’s trying to single out NYC residents to prevent them to going to their beaches. Not sure how they’ll “enforce” that. Racial profile? No cloak.

Weed out the people who seem to have an outsized sense of self-importance because the live in NYC?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Controversial ? No, not at all.  The tone over in the politics room is the admin. completely fucked up.  I doubt that wasn't the point trying to be made with the post.

42 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Or a pattern of things which I think are appropriate to discuss in this thread and those that aren’t. Of course there’d be a pattern and it likely would not be 100% in line with your way of thinking. Therefore, you want to label me as opposition. I bet we’re in agreement on far more issues than you think. You come in here trying to stir up shit, nothing else. You’re the one being dishonest, because a vast majority of your statements today have been false. You think you know me, and you don’t.

Bologna. You’re perfectly fine with political commentary so long as you agree with it. @PenelopeWitherspoon just came in guns blazing with a post about a NYC mayor’s “unpopular” decision...it doesn’t bother you in the slightest.

there is an overwhelming amount of politics in this thread and, again, it requires complete dishonesty to pretend otherwise.

oh and from the “you don’t know me camp”: I’ve voted straight party (R) my entire life up until the last election where I couldn’t pull the trigger for either candidate. Never voted for a (D) in my life.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Bologna. You’re perfectly fine with political commentary so long as you agree with it. @PenelopeWitherspoon just came in guns blazing with a post about a NYC mayor’s “unpopular” decision...it doesn’t bother you in the slightest.

I don’t know shit about NY politics and therefore don’t engage. Besides, saying a decision is unpopular is much different that blaming a single person for all our country’s failures and even beginning to compare poor decisions with conscious cover-up.

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

there is an overwhelming amount of politics in this thread and, again, it requires complete dishonesty to pretend otherwise.

No shit? The problem is, that’s all you bring. I honestly can’t remember you actually discussing anything without acting like a bitch in the process.

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

oh and from the “you don’t know me camp”: I’ve voted straight party (R) my entire life up until the last election where I couldn’t pull the trigger for either candidate. Never voted for a (D) in my life.

I have no idea what this has to do with me or my post.

38 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Not sure that admitting to always voting "straight party line" is helping your cause. Generally, anybody who has ever voted straight party line can fuck right off.

• Like 3

This morning I went to NAPA to buy a part, and not one employee or customer had a face mask on. Weird because only a couple of days ago I had been to the same NAPA and all the employees had face masks on, and they wanted for you to hold the items in front of the scanner so that they didn’t have to touch them. This morning was like hey, did I fall into a coma without realizing it and six months went by and this coronavirus stuff has been cured and nobody told me?

• Like 1

I'm sick and tired of dealing with groceries for the elderly and senior citizens.  I don't know how Armybrat has survived all these decades of buying this stuff.

Like, if I didn't have kids, I'm cool with society veering towards Logan's Run for 40 or 50 year-olds.

53 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I don’t know shit about NY politics and therefore don’t engage. Besides, saying a decision is unpopular is much different that blaming a single person for all our country’s failures and even beginning to compare poor decisions with conscious cover-up.

No shit? The problem is, that’s all you bring. I honestly can’t remember you actually discussing anything without acting like a bitch in the process.

It sounds like we both agree it's impossible to have any level of in-depth discussion about this crisis without it becoming overtly political. What we are watching unfold is quite literally why governments exist: to protect the health and well-being of its citizenry. Every aspect of this is political...from the messaging put out by officials, to the data reported, to the public policy responses that are made or not made as a reaction to the public health and economic calamity occurring...it's all political, so this thread is also inherently political. but then that echo chamber gets disrupted and a handful of mouth breathers complain about 'politics'. it's laughable. 

I have no idea what this has to do with me or my post.

oh my bad. a few posts ago you had mentioned your voting bonafides. i assumed that was because you wanted to me a point and in doing so, you labeled me as a partisan. so i responded to let you know a bit about my voting history. but if your original attempt at doing that was pointless, then i apologize for responding in kind. 

• Like 7

On 5/23/2020 at 3:29 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I'm sick and tired of dealing with groceries for the elderly and senior citizens.  I don't know how Armybrat has survived all these decades of buying this stuff.

Like, if I didn't have kids, I'm cool with society veering towards Logan's Run for 40 or 50 year-olds.

If 40-50 yr olds are old, You'll be in for a word of hurt before you know it.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

I went to one of Nebraska’s primitive state parks today and hiked a bit on the banks of the Missouri. It seemed like everyone was pretty well behaved and distant, but the trails are kind of muddy and rattlesnakey this time of year too, and other than kayaking one of the oxbows you’re not doing much in the river with the water up a bit. 

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Is it still mandatory in Austin or Travis County to wear face covering while in public?

It's never been mandatory.  There's no penalty of fines or imprisonment.  It's this batshit crazy Texas ideology where it's good southern manners to not cough on other people in public.  I know it's insane to some people, but some of us find it a rather gentlemanly thing to do.  some of you easily transfer your rights much more easily over to the state, under penalty of law.  This was just a polite ask.  "Hey, maybe don't breathe your infected bullshit on old people at the liquor store."  That was it, that's all it was.  But we couldn't do that. \

Now if you'll excuse me, my company is hemorrhagging employees right now.  

Edited by Lobo

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm in my 40s with two kids under the age of 8. I feel old as fuck sometimes.

Ouch. If you feel old now, just wait 'til your in your 50s and they're teenagers.......At least then, they might be able to help you up after a fall, or them knocking you down. 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm in my 40s with two kids under the age of 8. I feel old as fuck sometimes.

I wish I was in your shoes. 57, and the kids are 27, and 28, and there's not a day that goes by I don't think about when they were living under our roof, and wishing for those days again.  

Lots of pain in the ass days, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.  My game plan was to be 50'ish when they were graduating college.

I wish I was in your shoes. 57, and the kids are 27, and 28, and there's not a day that goes by I don't think about when they were living under our roof, and wishing for those days again.  
Lots of pain in the ass days, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.  My game plan was to be 50'ish when they were graduating college.

I get your empathy...but 24/7 parenting the last 2.5 months has been real tough. This last work week has been the most I’ve been out of the house/away from my 2 kids under 5 since March 11.
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away