Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Guest Lobo
12 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

rt.live now has Texas leading the nation.  According to them, our R number has risen from 0.83 on April 5th to 1.09 now and we are #1!  Texas is one of only five states over 1.0.

Good news from Justhookit and his walking germ transfer of a wife. they must be quite pleased. What a world 

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I get your empathy...but 24/7 parenting the last 2.5 months has been real tough. This last work week has been the most I’ve been out of the house/away from my 2 kids under 5 since March 11.

Yeah, I imagine the last few months have been a struggle. Trust me, you'll look back on these times one day, and wax nostalgic.

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm in my 40s with two kids under the age of 8. I feel old as fuck sometimes.

in about 9-10 years, you'll become a complete idiot as well.

Then around their mid- 20's, they're gonna realize how fucking smart you are after all.

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) nows estimates that 35 percent of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic.”

That’s both good and bad, depending on how you look at it.

“But that's not even the most important part of their latest estimates. It's the CDC's new "best estimate" for the case fatality rate amongst symptomatic patients...

Now here's what the CDC is saying about the fatality rate of the coronavirus:
0-49 years old: .05%
50-64 years old: 0.2%
65+ years old: 1.4%
Overall ages: 0.4%

According to the CDC's current best estimate, the case fatality rate of the coronavirus is .4 percent. And that's just amongst symptomatic cases, which, the CDC estimates, is 65 percent of all cases. This means the CDC estimates that the fatality rate for all infections across all age groups, symptomatic as well as asymptomatic, is approximately .26 percent.”

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

rt.live now has Texas leading the nation.  According to them, our R number has risen from 0.83 on April 5th to 1.09 now and we are #1!  Texas is one of only five states over 1.0.

Garbage in and garbage out. Noisy data with rapid changes in the middle of a pandemic. Sorry, but a running R tracker is a fool’s errand.

• Like 3

Update 5/23/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Wuhan Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

5/19: 79 deaths

5/20: 81 deaths

5/21: 82 deaths

5/22: 83 death

5/23: 83 deaths 

Last Five Days: +4  (0)

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

5/19: Hp - 92, ICU - 35, Vent - 21

5/20: Hp - 90, ICU - 39, Vent - 25

5/21: Hp - 89, ICU - 38, Vent - 22

5/22: Hp - 96, ICU - 39, Vent - 24

5/23: Hp - 92, ICU - 38, Vent - 23

Last Five Days: Hp: 0, ICU: +3, Vent: +2

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 5/23/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 45,342 (52.4%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           41,119

Total:                                                           86,460

Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 23,083

NJ: 11,081

Mass: 6,304

Total: 40,468 (46.8% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=435667374

43 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) nows estimates that 35 percent of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic.”

That’s both good and bad, depending on how you look at it.

“But that's not even the most important part of their latest estimates. It's the CDC's new "best estimate" for the case fatality rate amongst symptomatic patients...

Now here's what the CDC is saying about the fatality rate of the coronavirus:
0-49 years old: .05%
50-64 years old: 0.2%
65+ years old: 1.4%
Overall ages: 0.4%

According to the CDC's current best estimate, the case fatality rate of the coronavirus is .4 percent. And that's just amongst symptomatic cases, which, the CDC estimates, is 65 percent of all cases. This means the CDC estimates that the fatality rate for all infections across all age groups, symptomatic as well as asymptomatic, is approximately .26 percent.”

good info.  hmmm who kept saying between .2 and .3?

These numbers are so far outside of the scientific consensus that this strikes me as a devious and cynical effort to manipulate not only federal modeling but the broader scientific discourse.

This disease is severe, has the potential to overwhelm any community on its own. Seeing Texas transmission rate #1 is a dick punch.

If you’re worried about the economy you need to encourage mask-wearing and safe work environments. We also need accurate and real-time mortality data (overall, non-accidents or homicides) to remove any ambiguity.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Just wear your masks - please? It's not too much to ask. A second wave will crater the economy even further (and kill a lot of people unnecessarily). Thank you.

spacer.png 

I like to call this one.. "Le Jeu de Balle"

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

This disease is severe, has the potential to overwhelm any community on its own. Seeing Texas transmission rate #1 is a dick punch.

If you’re worried about the economy you need to encourage mask-wearing and safe work environments. We also need accurate and real-time mortality data (overall, non-accidents or homicides) to remove any ambiguity.

likely not.  you realize the transmission rate is all a wild ass guess right? no one knows at all what the transmission rate is.  

agree it would be good to have accurate mortality rate.  old person gets covid 19 turns to pneumonia.  they die of pneumonia what do you mark it as?

4 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

It seems to me that clamoring about mask wearing on this thread will not get one more person to wear a mask that isn’t already. So can we stop? 

agreed.  who on this thread is refusing to wear a mask(in the appropriate situation)?  I keep wondering if clouds look like non masking wearing surly folks to some poeple...

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

likely not.  you realize the transmission rate is all a wild ass guess right? no one knows at all what the transmission rate is.  

Because we aren't testing for transmission rate? Is that an important fact for mitigation? Or can we mitigate efficiently by limiting group size (and accounting for those who refuse to do the neighborly thing by covering their mouths and noses in public)? 

Honestly questions. I have a gut feeling on the answers. Perhaps we are too reliant on limiting group size and should be stressing nationwide testing - daily for those in public?

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Where did I minimize it?

Sorry, I should have stopped typing before that part after the fuck you.  You accused someone of hoping more people suffered and/or died to further their political viewpoint.  That’s a telling projection on your part and a shitty thing to do.  So you can either apologize, or fuck off.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 6
  • Fuck You 5

15 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Sorry, I should have stopped typing before that part after the fuck you.  You accused someone of hoping more people suffered and/or died to further their political viewpoint.  That’s a telling projection on your part and a shitty thing to do.  So you can either apologize, or fuck off.  

Political point of view? You fuck off. Someone posted good news regarding death rate and this dickhead has to immediately follow with some hypothetical long term effects we have no clear picture of yet? Fuck both of you. Let us enjoy good news about life before we start making up scenarios where we’re all ill for the rest of it.

Edited by Casual Encounter
I don’t know shit about his political point of view.
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Here come the judge with the internet ultimatums.  I'm da judge gotdammit

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

interesting.  now models are only as good as the data that is entered.  "science" being exposed...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/22/860981956/scientists-say-new-lower-cdc-estimates-for-severity-of-covid-19-are-optimistic

NO POLITICS ALLOWED LULZ

interesting.  now models are only as good as the data that is entered.  "science" being exposed...
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/22/860981956/scientists-say-new-lower-cdc-estimates-for-severity-of-covid-19-are-optimistic

No mention of the CDCs model a few weeks ago that projected 200k case/day and back to 3k deaths/day that’s supposed to happen next week?
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Interesting projections on when next stay-at-home will happen.

ea2ca7ad552cc722fc5f26bba9558aa4.jpg
fc8f0771632d1d33614c369d7d46e8b0.jpg

That would be devastating for a lot of school kids who struggle with the work.  I was thinking it would be good if they could get the schools back into session earlier in August, get the kids evaluated, start intensive help for the kids who need it, get data captured such as quizzes, test scores, essays, science projects, etc., etc. (so they'd have something other than Pass/No-Pass) and then switch to at-home after Thanksgiving.

Starting out with schools closed through October 1st, that would be absolute hell for those kids who are struggling right now.

And it would be bad for a lot of parents.

On a side note, it sounds like AISD is ramping up for a helluva lot of summer school sessions to help those kids, but this is still going to be rough for them.

• Like 1

I can't see any states going back to a stay at home order unless things get really bad. After so much pressure to open back up, I don't think a lot of people will willingly to back to quarantining for a few more months or however long it's supposed to be. It's not like we made any progress with the first round, it's just that people got bored and decided Covid was over.

Some of the photos taken today are pretty disturbing, such as around the Lake of the Ozarks or Ocean City MD. People in my home state of NC were apparently eager to get back to the racetrack.92ead718eacc389cfe54cefe7afd71bb.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Your-State-Keys-1

I'd say that looks positive if the data is accurate.  Testing has increased by 3 fold, and it still looks to be trending down if not at least "flatish".  I'd think we'd be seeing  a spike now if opening up was not a possible right answer.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What are the Ga. Covid stats looking like currently ?  They're into week 3 or 4 now of re opening I believe.

If there's gonna be a spike in infections shoudn't it be happening about now  ??

I expect any spike to be later on, as people really begin to relax around one another.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

I expect any spike to be later on, as people really begin to relax around one another.

That's not what I've been reading.  2-4 weeks has been the period of time I've seen. I think people have been relaxing around each other.  

Not saying you're wrong, but how much later on do you think it should be ?  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away