Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Update 5/24/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Wuhan Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

5/20: 81 deaths

5/21: 82 deaths

5/22: 83 death

5/23: 83 deaths

5/24: 84 deaths

Last Five Days: +3  (-1)

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

5/20: Hp - 90, ICU - 39, Vent - 25

5/21: Hp - 89, ICU - 38, Vent - 22

5/22: Hp - 96, ICU - 39, Vent - 24

5/23: Hp - 92, ICU - 38, Vent - 23

5/23: Hp - 82, ICU - 39, Vent - 21

Last Five Days: Hp: -10, ICU: +4, Vent: 0

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 5/24/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 46,033 (52.9%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           41,052

Total:                                                           87,084

Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 23,391

NJ: 11,133

Mass: 6,372

Total: 40,896 (46.9% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=435667374

Edited by ChickenSandwich

5 hours ago, bullzak said:

Mask indoors. No mask outdoors keeping distance. 

Nobody is getting this outdoors or from ATM and doorknobs. 

People get this inside, close quarters. 99%. 

Gigantic difference between detectable amounts of Covid RNA and transmissible virus. Understand this and act accordingly. 

Wash your damn hands. All the time. 

All IMHO not a doctor. 

Yep.  The current data, which is subject to change (although less subject to change than the earlier data was) indicates that if 80% of people wear masks indoors and everyone reduces their overall social interaction to 70% of normal, this virus would die out in less than 90 days.

Must be all those big urban areas in deep blue states like Maine, Vermont, Oregon, and Minnesota?  
Except Vermont, yes. Oregon east of the I5 urban corridor/cascades is mountainbama just like Idaho. Minnesota is a very red state without the twin cities. Upstate Maine gave it's EV to Trump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

We can talk about the wisdom in this lack of social distancing, and whether there will be consequences in the form of increased cases of COVID-19.  But instead can we focus our disappointment on the fact that this is the best beach picture you can offer, with no talent whatsoever?  Be better.

Haha. You’re absolutely right. I need to get my creeper middle aged man taking pictures of hot 20 something Latinas game going tomorrow 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't have any problem with people not wearing a mask outside, in open spaces.  Folks aren't wearing them in our neighborhood on their evening walks and runs -- plenty of room, little proximity (although I have seen a few folks wear them -- fine, but not particularly necessary).  Folks in stores, doing a decent job -- high mask usage.

But you and I both know that it's largely broken down on political lines.  I live in "blue" Austin, relatively central.  Was on the phone this morning with a fishing buddy who lives 12 miles away, in a "red" neighborhood in Round Rock.  He said mask usage in stores and such is very low.

How in the blue fuck a simple thing like wearing a mask when you are among other people in an indoor space -- a very minor inconvenience, done mostly for the sake of those around you -- became a goddamned political BATTLE (not an issue, but a fucking angry FIGHT)....I just don't understand.

I don't speed through a school zone.  Not just because it's a law, but because I should slow down to help protect kids who may make a dumb decision and cross without looking.  I don't carelessly discard lit fire materials, cigars, etc., not just because it's the law, but because I don't want to start a fire that destroys someone's home or livelihood.  I don't cough in someone else's face because I don't want to get them sick.  I act with just a modicum of decency and concern for my fellow man.  Sometimes, that means that I don't get to do exactly what I want to do in a given moment.

Again, the concept of "maybe I should slightly inconvenience myself in the interest of protecting my fellow man" is a fucking knock-down, spittle-flinging, rage-filled BATTLE.  What the everloving fuck is wrong with us?  What the actual fuck?

This is really fucking with a lot of us physicians.  You’re not listening to us bc we are in on some political scam?  I personally know at least a half dozen docs who have called it...Not physicians on the frontlines.  Their clinics/practices had slowed anyway, but having to explain to dozens of patients daily that this isn’t some hoax was too much.  
The majority of those docs were in more rural areas where things had not gotten bad - so obviously since it’s not bad in your backyard, it’s all being made up.  
What has the medical field done to deserve this BS?  Things have been evidence based forever.  There’s been mistakes but never an outright conspiracy to dupe the masses.  
This is VERY dangerous when the next one hits...and when the spread of C19 really picks up in the fall.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 8

Guest Lobo

I'm sure during a pandemic, it's a great use of your time to have to stop and explain to people that this is very real and not a hoax.  You go from a call to heal, to telling people to quit trying to run over 5G towers in their trucks. 

95% of transmissions appear to be coming from airborne droplets transferred from one person's face to another person's hands/face.  The rest fall to the ground or inside a mask.  You know what causes all that?  Gravity, arguably the most rudimentary concept that physics has to offer us.  

We need testing, tracing, treatment, and vaccination.  Layered with mitigation.  We need to stabilize our economy.  We need to reconfigure the supply chain of entire industries.  We need to avoid a societal meltdown.  And we need a safe and legitimate election in just a few months. 

We need all of those things, and some of the best and brightest among us are having to explain to huge swarths of the population how Gravity works.  

The greatest country the world has ever known is having to take a timeout to debate Gravity.  

Tomorrow morning, we children of veterans and you veterans yourselves will wake up and tell our children the meaning of Memorial Day.  And I will hoist my American flag up and think of all those who served, especially those who fell, in order to protect my freedoms.  And then I gotta spend another day listening to people in the voice of Eric Cartman yell shit like, "I will not respect your Gravitah!"  I guess you have the freedom to not respect gravity, but will you at least acknowledge it exists?  

Edited by Lobo

21 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
It matters because typically rural areas are more conservative, and probably more prone to say muh rights, and fuck masks....

I would guess most rural areas don't have the money like those around Aspen. Just a hunch.

Median household income in Carbondale is about 15% less than that of Denver. I think the political persuasion is more due to the artsy/bohemian hippies that took root back in the day.

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This is really fucking with a lot of us physicians.  You’re not listening to us bc we are in on some political scam?  I personally know at least a half dozen docs who have called it...Not physicians on the frontlines.  Their clinics/practices had slowed anyway, but having to explain to dozens of patients daily that this isn’t some hoax was too much.  
The majority of those docs were in more rural areas where things had not gotten bad - so obviously since it’s not bad in your backyard, it’s all being made up.  
What has the medical field done to deserve this BS?  Things have been evidence based forever.  There’s been mistakes but never an outright conspiracy to dupe the masses.  
This is VERY dangerous when the next one hits...and when the spread of C19 really picks up in the fall.  

It would be one thing if you were being attacked by the ignorant/uneducated, who were lashing out as a reaction to a fear of the unknown.  It would be like an off-season thread where we are hunting for a new coach, and we are reenacting various scenes from the Minions movies and running around speaking and posting in gibberish.    I mean, you are being attacked by those folks, but you all are also being attacked by people who should know better, who are "educated" (they have pieces of paper on their walls that say so!), and well-paid, and who aren't going to suffer much in an economic downturn..  

I had a mild argument with a relative who is retired, educated, intelligent, who is also in a high-risk group, who out of the blue, started saying "what does this Faucci actually know?  They say he knows about AIDS, but this ain't AIDS, so does he actually know what he's talking about?"  He doesn't like Birx saying we should still wear masks, even though just a few weeks ago he thought both she and Faucci were people we should all be listening to.

Meanwhile, we are still in a Facebook group from when we had one of our kids at a birthing center, and they are organizing a playdate tomorrow for their kids to all get together, and making it known that it's a mask-free get-together, and leave the hand sanitizer at home.  Some anti-vaxxers in this group as you can imagine.   I keep wanting to bail on that group, but it's fascinating watching it play out, like watching that MILF in Idaho or whatever that got arrested.

It's a fucking piece of cloth that you wear over your face out of politeness for your fellow man, and every single person I've seen bitching on social media does not have a job digging ditches or roofing in July, and the vast majority of them do not have a job that would even require them to wear said masks for most of the day (I'm not saying I know a higher-class of people, it's just that most people I know have indoor jobs, can work from home, are retired, etc.).  In other words, plenty of them only have to mask up when they head into HEB or Home Depot, but you'd think they'd been stuck underwater and breathing from an oxygen tank for hours, or stuck in a coal mine with foul air or something.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

That 1% of rural areas in America accounts for 24 Electoral Votes, nearly 5% of the total...nothing to sneeze at.  

Yes, we all know rural areas tend to lean one way and urban areas tend to lean another way.  We should get you and I's analysis to Nate Silver, post haste!  ;)

When looking at the stats on those states, I was surprised to see that Hawaii is the 13th most densely populated state.  I thought it was much sparser than that, and was about to add it to my list.  We've only been on Oahu to fly in/out of to smaller islands, never spent any time out on the island which I'm now guessing must be incredibly dense to make up for the other islands that have a very rural vibe to them (I guess Maui is sorta in the middle).  Anyway, Texas is expected to rise to just under 90% of its citizens living in urban/suburban environments, a far cry from the cowboy/cattle ranch/oil country identity once to closely associated with the state.  

What is the voting in Minnesota like if you take out Minneapolis/St. Paul and the surrounding areas?

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

It would be one thing if you were being attacked by the ignorant/uneducated, who were lashing out as a reaction to a fear of the unknown.  It would be like an off-season thread where we are hunting for a new coach, and we are reenacting various scenes from the Minions movies and running around speaking and posting in gibberish.    I mean, you are being attacked by those folks, but you all are also being attacked by people who should know better, who are "educated" (they have pieces of paper on their walls that say so!), and well-paid, and who aren't going to suffer much in an economic downturn..  

I had a mild argument with a relative who is retired, educated, intelligent, who is also in a high-risk group, who out of the blue, started saying "what does this Faucci actually know?  They say he knows about AIDS, but this ain't AIDS, so does he actually know what he's talking about?"  He doesn't like Birx saying we should still wear masks, even though just a few weeks ago he thought both she and Faucci were people we should all be listening to.

Meanwhile, we are still in a Facebook group from when we had one of our kids at a birthing center, and they are organizing a playdate tomorrow for their kids to all get together, and making it known that it's a mask-free get-together, and leave the hand sanitizer at home.  Some anti-vaxxers in this group as you can imagine.   I keep wanting to bail on that group, but it's fascinating watching it play out, like watching that MILF in Idaho or whatever that got arrested.

It's a fucking piece of cloth that you wear over your face out of politeness for your fellow man, and every single person I've seen bitching on social media does not have a job digging ditches or roofing in July, and the vast majority of them do not have a job that would even require them to wear said masks for most of the day (I'm not saying I know a higher-class of people, it's just that most people I know have indoor jobs, can work from home, are retired, etc.).  In other words, plenty of them only have to mask up when they head into HEB or Home Depot, but you'd think they'd been stuck underwater and breathing from an oxygen tank for hours, or stuck in a coal mine with foul air or something.

It is hard for me to see where chitowndoc is coming from. This has been going on for 30 years. Telling someone to stop smoking and switch to water or diet sodas or not to do drugs is generally like talking to a wall. Meanwhile, insurance companies make life a living hell for physicians and their staff while patients yell about their remaining balance and refuse to pay the greedy doctor and to fail to understand that physicians bill the insurance companies as a courtesy to the patient. And a percentage of patients make a board complaint due to billing and require days of your time to defend. And Covid brings things to a head? Shit, I see this disease as a reason to go into medicine not to get out.

• Like 2

The attitude in Texas must be really different regarding masks.  I live in DC and if you go in a grocery store, or Home Depot, or anywhere indoors, you wear a mask and it's no big deal.  It's 100% compliance.  I don't wear one outside but I'd say a good 30% of the people do.  The NextDoor Karen's are demanding the runners wear them (and there is no way in hell I would do that on a run) but I see probably about 10% of the runners on my runs actually wearing them.  I've seen one person get upset about being required to wear a mask, but that was weeks ago and he was only upset because he didn't have one and he didn't know the rule.  I have yet to see anyone get belligerent about it other than on Twitter or on the news. 

Meanwhile, I talked to my parents who live in backwoods rural northeast Texas.  They went to church against my wishes but I can't stop them from here.  Mom said only about 10 people were wearing masks and I'm guessing there were probably 70 or less in attendance at her church.  She said they had seating every other pew, but on those pews, people were shoulder to shoulder.  I told her I wished she would wait a few more weeks until she goes again but I'm pretty sure she fears burning in hell for missing so many services.  Hell, even my Dad went (he conveniently forgot his mask in the truck). They are also restarting Sunday after service lunches which seems really stupid but northeast TX gonna northeast TX.

She said she does curbside delivery at the grocery store but she sees most people going in without a mask, but the employees are wearing them (probably a corporate policy).  I really, really don't understand the big fuss about wearing a mask.  It's beyond silly and I don't know what to tell people who think this is a hoax.  I will say the people I know who have contracted it had either mild or asymptomatic cases, but 2 people who work with my wife were killed by it and I wouldn't even say those were people with health issues but I don't know them well and can't speak for their health history.

Anyway, that's my anecdotal note for the evening.  I see far more people taking it seriously than not taking it seriously, but all of my family in Texas seem to be a lot more antsy, doubtful,  and haven't been "touched" by as many cases as I have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

live in DC and if you go in a grocery store, or Home Depot, or anywhere indoors, you wear a mask and it's no big deal.  It's 100% compliance. 

I don't think Austin is so different from DC. And I wouldn't be surprised if rural Virginia was similar to rural Texas.

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't think Austin is so different from DC. And I wouldn't be surprised if rural Virginia was similar to rural Texas.

Trying to compare two progressive places against rural anywhere is not the way I would go. I try and explain that we as a nation are not the same as Germany, Sweden, etc. Compare the US to the EU, and perhaps the picture is clearer. UT vs. Aggy. 

I have a client in DC who swears this is a hoax. Smart dude, well travelled, etc. But it does not fit his current vision and this is becoming an inconvenience. He told me a few days ago he knows no one who has suffered from Covid 19. I lost my mom, my mentor, and my aunt is on a vent. My son lost two college friends. Young healthy kids. My daughter's best friend has had her family ravaged. My best friend has lost a close friend from HS and this is a 26 year old in Austin. 

I guess we are going forward and we can open whatever the states/karens/chads/etc want. I will continue to live like I think is best, keep my family as safe as I can, and do what I can for my community. 

• Like 1

What is the voting in Minnesota like if you take out Minneapolis/St. Paul and the surrounding areas?

Duluth was blue but almost the rest of the state was red I believe this last election. Hillary won by I believe less than 30k. I believe it was the closest the republicans have gotten to winning it in decades.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

It is hard for me to see where chitowndoc is coming from. This has been going on for 30 years. Telling someone to stop smoking and switch to water or diet sodas or not to do drugs is generally like talking to a wall. Meanwhile, insurance companies make life a living hell for physicians and their staff while patients yell about their remaining balance and refuse to pay the greedy doctor and to fail to understand that physicians bill the insurance companies as a courtesy to the patient. And a percentage of patients make a board complaint due to billing and require days of your time to defend. And Covid brings things to a head? Shit, I see this disease as a reason to go into medicine not to get out.

There's something about the covid stuff that is different.  People are raging about this and acting stupid as hell.  I had to get a prescription for a relative this weekend, and one woman outside told me I didn't have to wear my mask anymore, and that "we are free again and not locked up" and I started to ask her if she had been in jail or something, because she acted like she was actually free from something, with a big-ass smile and everything.  And yes, she most likely had underlying conditions.

Cops were not stopping any of us walking around, or driving around.  Well, I'm aware that Texas DPS troopers were stopping people coming in from Louisiana and taking down their info, but I mean none of us were stopped while driving around Austin or wherever we live.

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I lost my mom, my mentor, and my aunt is on a vent. My son lost two college friends. Young healthy kids. My daughter's best friend has had her family ravaged. My best friend has lost a close friend from HS and this is a 26 year old in Austin. 

You have a close friend who is 26 and your son is 21 or 22. That's interesting. Pics of side piece? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

JFC, I hate people a lot.   Yes, let's just whistle past the graveyard because it's a hoax you know... all created by the illuminate,' and jews, and democrats, and republicans, and China, and corporations, and Friends of the new world order society, and ................

The only thing I hate worse than this scenario above are the videos of the staged social distancing dance parties in cul de sacs, showing people dancing all by themselves, in a large group with 10-20' between each person (see we're social distancing, and still having a good time),  or the inner tube distancing bars.  Hopefully those videos come back to show how fucking stupid those people are after this is all over.

Wear a gott damned mask in enclosed, high density spaces.....it can't hurt, so what's the big deal ?

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

That 1% of rural areas in America accounts for 24 Electoral Votes, nearly 5% of the total...nothing to sneeze at.  

Yes, we all know rural areas tend to lean one way and urban areas tend to lean another way.  We should get you and I's analysis to Nate Silver, post haste!  ;)

When looking at the stats on those states, I was surprised to see that Hawaii is the 13th most densely populated state.  I thought it was much sparser than that, and was about to add it to my list.  We've only been on Oahu to fly in/out of to smaller islands, never spent any time out on the island which I'm now guessing must be incredibly dense to make up for the other islands that have a very rural vibe to them (I guess Maui is sorta in the middle).  Anyway, Texas is expected to rise to just under 90% of its citizens living in urban/suburban environments, a far cry from the cowboy/cattle ranch/oil country identity once to closely associated with the state.  

I believe that Kauai is roughly the same size as Oahu. The former has about 50k people and the latter has 2M+.  Most of the people on Maui are tourists, and the Bog Island is nearly deserted by comparison.  

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Been watching vids of the rivers where people are shoulder to shoulder.

This country is full of willfully ignorant dipshits, and my only hope is that this disease kills them off.

Son lives on the San Marcos near the big parks. Called me yesterday to report it was packed, no fucks given. So was the Square over the weekend. Whats funny is most of the kids are gone since school started. 

Hard to wear a mask when downing white claws in a tube. 

20 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Liberal, and rural are typically not words found in tandem like that.  You know that right ?

Not sure I agree with this take.

and in my large urban center (very liberal) masks are pretty prevalent.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Been watching vids of the rivers where people are shoulder to shoulder.

This country is full of willfully ignorant dipshits, and my only hope is that this disease kills them off.

Well, going by the numbers, it will probably only be 2% of them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Well, going by the numbers, it will probably only be 2% of them.

Part of I think issue in looking at those folks is how many lost/don’t have/didn’t have a job before or due to CV19. 

For me risk of exposure is far higher as I’m a sole provider for my family and cannot risk being down for count. 

If you’re unemployed and in your twenties WTF do you really care? 

What bothers me is the thought of careless people spreading it to vulnerable people and then the vulnerable people (a small percentage of them perhaps) dying and if not dying then getting bankrupted by their medical bills.

13 hours ago, PhillyD said:

The attitude in Texas must be really different regarding masks.  I live in DC and if you go in a grocery store, or Home Depot, or anywhere indoors, you wear a mask and it's no big deal.  It's 100% compliance.  I don't wear one outside but I'd say a good 30% of the people do.  The NextDoor Karen's are demanding the runners wear them (and there is no way in hell I would do that on a run) but I see probably about 10% of the runners on my runs actually wearing them.  I've seen one person get upset about being required to wear a mask, but that was weeks ago and he was only upset because he didn't have one and he didn't know the rule.  I have yet to see anyone get belligerent about it other than on Twitter or on the news. 

Meanwhile, I talked to my parents who live in backwoods rural northeast Texas.  They went to church against my wishes but I can't stop them from here.  Mom said only about 10 people were wearing masks and I'm guessing there were probably 70 or less in attendance at her church.  She said they had seating every other pew, but on those pews, people were shoulder to shoulder.  I told her I wished she would wait a few more weeks until she goes again but I'm pretty sure she fears burning in hell for missing so many services.  Hell, even my Dad went (he conveniently forgot his mask in the truck). They are also restarting Sunday after service lunches which seems really stupid but northeast TX gonna northeast TX.

She said she does curbside delivery at the grocery store but she sees most people going in without a mask, but the employees are wearing them (probably a corporate policy).  I really, really don't understand the big fuss about wearing a mask.  It's beyond silly and I don't know what to tell people who think this is a hoax.  I will say the people I know who have contracted it had either mild or asymptomatic cases, but 2 people who work with my wife were killed by it and I wouldn't even say those were people with health issues but I don't know them well and can't speak for their health history.

Anyway, that's my anecdotal note for the evening.  I see far more people taking it seriously than not taking it seriously, but all of my family in Texas seem to be a lot more antsy, doubtful,  and haven't been "touched" by as many cases as I have.

Can confirm in DC it’s 100% compliance.  I’m in NC to visit my mom,  and the grocery store,  maybe only 25% were in masks.  Lots of old, fatties walking around uncovered. 

Good luck with that.

What bothers me is the thought of careless people spreading it to vulnerable people and then the vulnerable people (a small percentage of them perhaps) dying and if not dying then getting bankrupted by their medical bills.

Why are vulnerable people out and about around people that are likely to have no ill effects?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away